Star Wars

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
eobversion1

Re: Star Wars

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 10:08 am

Yeah, that rumour has been floating around for a while. It will happen just a matter of when.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:00 pm

Christ on a bike. What did I just experience?
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:54 pm

Oh man. My heart was pounding so much throughout. From excitement, anticipation and dread. I was doing full on toothy grins quite a lot from comedy, from appreciation of certain scenes and from the spectacle. 152 minutes absolutely flew by. Didn't feel all that long at all. I was hooked from start to finish. I need time to process how I feel about it overall and how it ranks in my mind to the other movies.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:40 pm

I really liked it you almost don't know where to begin. There's a lot of movie there. Too much movie in a lot of ways. You'd wonder where the runway is for Episode IX is they did so much in this movie.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:10 pm

The Last Jedi seems to be dividing opinion somewhat which is so confusing to me. The fans can have safe movies or movies that take risks but they can't have both they have to fucking choose. I guess they want safe movies if they can't handle a different take on Star Wars. To be clear I don't think the Force Awakens was a safe movie but it came down on the safe side. The Last Jedi is being crucified by the fandom for coming down on the risky side. Jesus Christ make up your mind on what you want people.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:52 am

I could not be more disappointed by the reaction to Star Wars: The Last Jedi. It's why we can't have nice things and why we're doomed to sit through anodyne studio movies like Avengers Age of Ultron from now until eternity.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:27 am

I'm finding the "controversy" over SW:TLJ somewhat entertaining in itself.

I was going to try and avoid spoilers, but in the week since it's release, there have been literally thousands of user comments posted on places like IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes and the myriad of Star Wars fan sites, as well as dozens of You Tube rants. I couldn't help myself, and started reading/listening to many of them.

I've put off seeing it for now. I'm not fond of going to the theater anymore, and I think I've read/heard enough to persuade me to wait for the disc release, rather than waste money on a single viewing. Not wait for it to hit the bargain bin, that may never happen. Disney knows parents will buy their products for their kiddies no matter what, and is notorious for keeping prices elevated.

I notice it seems most of the positive comments are rather general, but the negative comments are pretty specific about plot points. I don't consider myself a fanboy; no SW toys or collectables in my house, just a pile of books. So the storyline is my main interest. Disney threw away 30 years of EU stories, are they giving us a worthy replacement?

It is interesting to note someone has a petition up, to have this movie removed from Star Wars Canon. Talk about rabid fans!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 10:27 am

It's like a reverse DCEU fan debate. Instead of a sect of fans praising it and critics thrashing the film, it's the other way around.

Ultimately, you have to reckon with these people going to them and say "hey, we can't give you nostalgia for nostalgia's sake or predictable movies forever we have to create new memories" part of it is explicitly stated in the film. I can understand why elements of the film would be frustrating for people but I couldn't care less. It adds a sense of mystery to the universe again which is exciting.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:15 am

So, I saw The Last Jedi tonight. I LOVED it.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 am

A future classic to be sure.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:32 pm

I just don't understand the outright vehemence shown toward the Last Jedi by much of the Twitter and Reddit Star Wars fanbase. I mean, is it the greatest film of all time? No, but was A New Hope or Empire for that matter? I love the original trilogy as much as anyone and they're fantastic movies, but were they perfect? Are they such masterpieces that anything with the name Star Wars attached that came after is immediately garbage for daring to exist in the same world as the original trilogy? I'm seeing such a ridiculously high amount of petty vitriol that it's making me reconsider my position on the prequel trilogy. Maybe those aren't as bad as I remember and I was just a stupid teenager/early twenty something caught up in the popular rage against the prequels at the time. Although, they did drive Jake Lloyd insane, so maybe they were genuinely bad. There's also no way Jar Jar gets better with age either.

Is the hate because of the progressive nature of having women in the driving roles? Is it because of the abandonment of the extended universe? Because if it's either of them, fanboys gotta get the fuck over it. Women can be every bit the heroes and leaders that men can and if you don't believe me, look at the real world. The extended universe material still exists, it's not as though Disney sent out storm troopers to eradicate every copy of the EU books and comics. You can still read them and enjoy them, they're not any less for not being the vision of the movie makers anymore. Just think of them as an alternate timeline.

What else can it be? Plot holes? Need I remind people that A New Hope had such a gaping plothole that Rogue One was made forty years later to finally explain it away? (And to undoubtedly answer the question "what would happen if George R.R. Martin wrote a Star Wars screenplay?") Is it the helpers and porgs on Luke's hermit island? Because spoiler alert, the god damn Ewoks are no better once you take off the rose coloured glasses. It's Luke, isn't it? They expected 66 year old Mark Hamill's character to show up and do what, exactly? Be a clone of Obi Wan? Completely overshadow Rey and take over as the hero of the story? Honestly, people, can't we just be happy that we've gotten three more perfectly fun and enjoyable Star Wars movies in the past three years? (TFA, R1, TLJ)

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:38 am

I am still going to wait for the disc release of TLJ. It is looking like it might not be all that long of a wait, since the film, despite making a fair amount of money, has basically underperformed Disney's expectations at the box office. It fell short of The Force Awakens box office numbers. The Hollywood Reporter also stated it underperformed in China. It did OK, but not up to expectations, despite, as some claim, having a new character in the story primarily to appeal to the Chinese audience. And Forbes reports Star Wars merchandise sales this holiday season is down 47% from the last two previous years.

This film might wind up in the bargain bin afterall.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 11:29 am

I couldn't agree more Nucks. There's definitely a wrong way of going about taking a franchise in a new direction but The Last Jedi wasn't that. Had they done a safe job the reaction would have been even worse. What made GOT a hit is that it didn't rely on myth fulfilment to thrill fans (although later seasons are leaning in that) it was the Myth deconstruction and subversion that wrongfooted and elated them throughout. The reaction to the prequels and the legacy of the originals arguably couched the image of Star Wars in a quagmire that Lucasfilm wants to dig it out of, The Last Jedi was the perfect way to do that.

There is a segment of people that should accept that getting what you want in the way that you want it won't allow the thing they love to live on and let its legacy grow as a piece of epic storytelling.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:42 pm

I've noticed over the last few years that the cool thing to do is to post the comment that will get all of the likes or the thumbs up. I think that a lot of the criticism given in general to products is exaggerated just for the gratification of having a popular post. I compare it to John Cena hate in wrestling. Hating him was the cool thing to do for a niche product. Now hating is the cool thing to do across all genres and Roman Reigns is a victim of that same mentality. Post a bad comment: get a like or thumbs up. Social Media is changing the world and not always in a good way.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:57 pm

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:13 pm

Some ramblings been on my mind:

- Disc release of SW:The Last Jedi is scheduled for March 27. At this point, I am more looking forward to ML Baseball season starting, that same day.

They are supposed to be issuing an UHD 4k Blu Ray, Disney's first. My eyesight isn't getting any better and I don't have the equipment, so that gets a Big Whoop from me. However, one report said the Blu Ray Combo Pack, which used to be Bl Ray + DVD + Digital will now be Blu Ray + Digital only.

I'm not sure what to think about this. On one hand, I can see that maybe DVD sales are slumping, or the demand is going away. But I usually buy my movies at Target and they look to sell quite a few more DVDs than other formats. Or maybe the combo packs did not sell well; I have seen no statistics for that. Or they could just be gouging customers by giving them less value, since it's silly to assume they will be cheaper.

I do have a question about these "+digital" packages. Has anyone here ever actually gotten the digital versions? And I don't mean digital as in streamed from Hulu or Amazon, I'm talking about the versions you supposedly "get" with a disc? Many discs I've bought over the years were "+digital", but you had to install a special player software that nothing else uses and the hassle of registration, which is usually more complex and invasive than applying for a credit card. Just getting it has put me off. They could put the digital version right on disc, but that would be too easy.

Disney is in court right now fighting over this very thing with RedBox. Seems that people are using the "+digital" codes from rented and resold used discs. Disney seems to have lost the first round in this copyright vs. fair use issue.

- Since the Solo trailer aired during the Super Bowl, there have been a few reports that seem to baffle the general media, that many Star Wars fans hope the film tanks. They cannot seem to understand why.

The general gist as I can see it, seems to be that those fans disappointed by SW:TLJ are hoping a poor showing here will send a message to replace Kathleen Kennedy. She basically started out as Spielberg's secretary and worked her way up as film producer. She may be a good organizer and great at finance, but many feel she doesn't have the talent to be on the creative side of things.

Also, many fans claim no one really wants an "origins" movie like other franchise's tend to over do (i.e. Spiderman). I can see that point. But I'm not sure if I totally agree, as the Han Solo adventures were a popular series in the old EU, and a major story factor in the NEW EU in Chuck Wendig's Aftermath Trilogy. Plus, I think Richie Cunningham has turned into a good filmaker and I'd like to see his effort at Star Wars.

- J.J.Abrams says he has a script now and will begin shooting Episode IX in July. He recently made some statements basically saying fans who did not like TLJ are sexist; this seems to have pissed off many FEMALE SW fans who did not care for the film. LOL!

- Speaking of K. Kennedy, she recently announced her efforts to hire more female Star Wars writers. My hope is she gets better writers than the ones they've hired to write the NEW EU books. I've read plenty of good books written by female writers, but like anything else, there are lots of mediocre and some outright crummy ones as well. Bloodlines was 350 pages of boring New Republic politics that only got good in the last 75 pages or so. I thought it was the worst Star Wars book I've read. Until I started Phasma. I am struggling to get through this. I read half a dozen pages and it puts me to sleep. I'm half way through and it is an uninteresting story written in an uninteresting way. I've read better fan fiction than this. I may just skip ahead to the last chapter and put it to bed.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:51 am

Star Wars: The Force Awakens has made it to cable TV.
I do not mean a premium pay channel, like HBO.
Next Sunday it premieres on TBS (which is usually included on most entry level cable /satelite packages).

I've also read that there is a lot of unsold Last Jedi merchandise still available at Toy's R Us going out of business sales.
If you really need that Rose Tico action figure, now's the time to get one.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:28 pm

Picked up a DVD disc of TLJ today, will get around to watching it in a day or two. Will try to go into it with an open mind, which may be difficult considering all the criticism I've read/heard. Noticed Target, which has become my "go to" store for movie discs. had an exclusive Blu Ray/DVD combo, but in true Disney fashion, was considerably more costly. The DVD shelf for the film was practically empty, but there were a lot of unsold Blu Rays sitting there. My previous concerns about DVD demand may have been unfounded. Of course, I realize they only went on sale today

Took a stroll through the toy isle, they have TLJ action figures on sale for $6.99USD. I'm not a toy collector, so I don't know if this is a deal or not, but couldn't help notice the Rose Tico figure was the only one priced lower at $4.79USD, and there were plenty on the shelf.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Mar 29, 2018 6:25 pm

Sat down with my DVD of The Last Jedi and gave it my undivided attention.

I do not know where this places my standing in the galaxy of Star Wars Fandom, but here's my thoughts:

I did not think this movie was anywhere near as bad as some people made it out to be.
Overall, I thought it was . . . . mediocre. There just wasn't a whole lot I really liked about it. But I didn't hate it at all, either.

Maybe I'd be more enthused, either good or bad, if I hadn't known as much about the film going in. My main criticisms are:

1. Overly preachy for my tastes.

2. Too much bad dialogue. Why did they use so much modern earth words and expressions in the galaxy far far away and long ago? Star Wars has been pretty good about creating much of it's own words and phrases, until this film. Part of why they needed a real writer.

3. Lack of aliens. There are over a dozen now familiar alien species shown throughout all the Star Wars films and TV. Twi'leks, Rodians, Bith, Itorian, Sullustan, Aqualish, Quarren, Zabrack, Dug, Duros, etc. There were a few "token" aliens, but the vast majority in this film were humanoids (even if you count Adm.Holdo LOL). Lack of alien diversity!

I did like the new ships, especially the upgraded AT-M6 Walkers, and the battering ram cannon, adopted from the Death Star's laser.
This film does present a lot for storyline speculation and discussion, since I highly doubt Disney/Lucasfilm will remove this from Star Wars canon, as some disgruntled fans may wish. Kinda hard to see were this is headed, as it was the second part of a trilogy. Personally, I'd have waited to kill off Luke Skywalker in the next chapter, IMO, to kinda end the Skywalker saga. I sure hope they aren't going to push Rose Tico on us as some sort of hero.

I also think, if they want to take Star Wars in a new direction, they should finally ditch the whole rebellion/resistance vs. the evil Empire/Order thing, it has run it's course already.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri May 04, 2018 11:35 am

Happy Star Wars Day! May the fourth Be with you.