Return of Jeff Jarrett

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Re: Return of Jeff Jarrett

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:42 am

It's hard for me to bet on GFW because Jarrett had TNA at the outset, and had Panda Energy not come to buy out a substantial portion of the business (Jarrett still has shares in TNA), TNA would've been bankrupt a decade ago.

The way a promotion is going to compete is not initially, they need to build a wrestling fan base that they can rely on, like WWE, when they were in the ascendancy, could rely on the Northeast. They need to be different from the WWE too.

But no one in North America is close. Honestly, I think being innovative with technology and using things like YouTube and Periscope could be really beneficial if a promotion is looking to rise up from the ashes.

The best way to compete with WWE is make their product as easily available. If you can log onto YouTube and just type R&YCW (Red And Yellow Championship Wrestling) and find the latest show, that can be hugely beneficial. I would think putting house shows that aren't intended for distribution purposes on YouTube could be a good idea if done properly.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:16 pm

El Canuck wrote:That's all well and good and I agree with everything you're saying Goober, I'm just not sure what you're responding to.
Just a thought process I had, listening to this conversation and the sentiment that worrying about TNA's business vs. creative doesn't matter. Felt like working it out, aloud

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Jun 28, 2015 12:36 pm

Red_And_Yellow wrote:It's hard for me to bet on GFW because Jarrett had TNA at the outset, and had Panda Energy not come to buy out a substantial portion of the business (Jarrett still has shares in TNA), TNA would've been bankrupt a decade ago.

The way a promotion is going to compete is not initially, they need to build a wrestling fan base that they can rely on, like WWE, when they were in the ascendancy, could rely on the Northeast. They need to be different from the WWE too.

But no one in North America is close. Honestly, I think being innovative with technology and using things like YouTube and Periscope could be really beneficial if a promotion is looking to rise up from the ashes.

The best way to compete with WWE is make their product as easily available. If you can log onto YouTube and just type R&YCW (Red And Yellow Championship Wrestling) and find the latest show, that can be hugely beneficial. I would think putting house shows that aren't intended for distribution purposes on YouTube could be a good idea if done properly.
That's the wrong mindset to have though. There is no company on Earth that can "compete" with WWE. New Japan is the second biggest company on the planet (with a gap between them and anyone else that is comparable to the gap between WWE and them) and they cannot and do not try to compete with WWE.

Jarrett and GFW is doing a lot of what you're suggesting, though, running their initial tour in safe territory, that knows the Jarrett name. There's no way they're paying huge rental fees to use those ballparks (you can rent them for a wedding or other function, so it cannot be something that as expensive as running an arena), it's been speculated that talent are taking less on their booking fees, and they're taking their tv tapings to the other side of the country to give other people the chance to see GFW, in a higher leverage situation. They are taking all the right steps to build a foundation for growth, which are all the things Jarrett did wrong with TNA's infancy, but has learned from.

Companies like TNA and ROH have cut themselves off at the knees by having no functional concept of how to develop their fanbase to grow. ROH has run the same territories for a decade now without growth, and TNA ran exclusively out of Nashville and then Orlando until they got a great idea about touring their tv tapings, only to have it fail miserably when the people who watched IMPACT made no attempt to go out to it.

What NJPW does better than any other company on the planet, the ONE thing they do, that makes them a national (bordering on international) company, is that they tour the entire country of Japan and KNOW unequivocally that they can and will draw anywhere they go at any time. It's not having a tv contract, putting on ppvs, or even having NJPWWorld that makes them an important company. It's that they have developed a product and a distribution system that makes people want to see it more.

TNA had a tv contract and ppv, and nobody wants to pay to watch them. ROH has put their tv and shows on their website, and nobody wants to pay to watch them. NJPW didn't put out an ippv until there was a market that was ready to support it. They didn't make NJPWWorld until there was a market that was ready to support it. Any company that wants to succeed in America would be smart to be more conservative like that, and the steps that GFW have taken lead me to believe they understand that, better than any other company out there

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jun 28, 2015 2:50 pm

Goobs raises some solid points that I definitely agree with. I'm willing to give GFW a shot, I know several people involved with it and they're fantastic at what they do and they deserve every bit of success that comes with it.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:34 pm

Goober, the assumption you used with ROH in using social media and technological advancement + making the product readily available is that they were doing it properly. ROH was putting up TV shows on YouTube, that to me, is the wrong thing to do. They don't have a social media footprint, the one that does is TNA, they had the opportunity to try and innovate and get their product out there more, but had no business sense whatsoever.

GFW is doing things but so long as Jarrett is running it, I'm going to be skeptical until I see them do anything of merit. He nearly bankrupted a promotion a decade ago and was a part of the demise of TNA. They are also incredibly limited in their resources. The odds of them overtaking even ROH without a greater influence of capital is incredibly unlikely.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:32 pm

Oh, i'm the original fan of Jeff Jarrett dating back to his 2nd run in wcw

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Fri Jul 03, 2015 11:36 am

I'm in agreement with Red, Jarrett has blood on his hands like Dixie and the rest who ran TNA. Now so far he is doing something here that is pretty wise, not bringing anyone who was around during WCW's death or among those who ran TNA.

I'd really worry if you start seeing some of those old names pop up.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 03, 2015 1:51 pm

I'm not arguing that, Slim. Everyone knows he started TNA and was there until only a few years ago with a major say in how things were done and run. I'm saying if he wants to start clean then it's a dumb move to take off his gloves and show everyone his crimson stained hands. It's poor strategy in every other facet of life and that's no different in wrestling promoting.

Example: You have a politician, who is a former mayor running for congress. If his town is a booming, economic beacon of all things good then he's going to espouse that and make that a focal point of his campaign. However, he's not going to drag cameras out to a ghost town and say "I was the mayor of this empty dustpile and I'm a major part of the reason it's belly up, SEND ME TO CONGRESS!"

Example: A person is applying for a job as a brewmaster of a beer brewery. They worked as a brewmaster before in a major brewery but they're just a tiny operation now and he got squeezed out. "So I worked for Duff Beer for fifteen years and we went from a company selling our product nationally to being relegated to being found only in a small part of Florida and a few other small pockets of the U.S. All of this happened under my leadership and in reality, within the first two years of my tenure it was only a corporate bailout that kept us from going under. I took that funding and squandered it on nonsensical gimmicks, high priced celebrity endorsements that amounted to little and a vain attempt to compete with the biggest brewery in the world. But I'll do real well with your brewery, I promise!" Would you hire this man? Would it make sense to remind this employer of your last job when it went so poorly?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:23 pm

What I'm seeing of Jarrett right now, I'd amend your statements Nucks, to add the following:

"I promise because I see why the things that didn't work didn't. I did A, B, and C, and thought they were good ideas at the time but they didn't work, and now I'm wiser about it and I'm ready to do X, Y, and Z this time. I had good ideas in TNA, that I mixed in with bad ideas, but this time I can avoid these mistakes and run things better."

Granted, you still don't have to hire him or like him but the argument to be made is more nuanced than has been noted so far

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:27 pm

GooberBM wrote:What I'm seeing of Jarrett right now, I'd amend your statements Nucks, to add the following:

"I promise because I see why the things that didn't work didn't. I did A, B, and C, and thought they were good ideas at the time but they didn't work, and now I'm wiser about it and I'm ready to do X, Y, and Z this time. I had good ideas in TNA, that I mixed in with bad ideas, but this time I can avoid these mistakes and run things better."

Granted, you still don't have to hire him or like him but the argument to be made is more nuanced than has been noted so far
Ah, I love you good :D
Last edited by isrs4life on Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 03, 2015 7:28 pm

Thanks isrs

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:37 pm

GooberBM wrote:What I'm seeing of Jarrett right now, I'd amend your statements Nucks, to add the following:

You're still missing my point though, he should be trying to steer the conversation and the focus far, far away from the boondoggles of his past. Not putting all eyes squarely on the ruins of TNA with him dancing atop it. That's just simple, basic strategy in life in general. How do we know he's learned from any of his mistakes? We don't. All we see is his old mountain of rubble and him, quite literally, as the King of that mountain. He's like that stereotypical politician in the post-apocalypse movies who says "I'm going to lead everyone to a new society!" When everyone is like "You're the one who helped cause the apocalypse in the first place!" It blows my mind how asinine of a move this is.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 03, 2015 8:59 pm

I'm not missing your point, I'm arguing a counter-point. I actually like that Jarrett isn't running from his past, because if he doesn't talk about it, you know who will? Every wrestling fan that has eyes on GFW. If Jarrett just tried to ignore or sweep his past with TNA under the rug, he would get (justified) criticism that he's so tone deaf that he doesn't even realize he was a part of TNA not being successful.

By owning his previous failure, he shows maturity and can take the steps to earning a second chance much more than by trying to self-exorcise his past. In my opinion, anyway

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 03, 2015 10:45 pm

Your counterpoint is that everyone is already aware of his past, which is true, so there's absolutely no need to call further attention to it or remind everyone of the mess he made. He's not owning it, not even a little bit. He's simply saying "I'm back in the wrestling promoting game, remember this mess I was once a part of?" There's no ownership of TNA's misfortunes and not even a hint that he's learned from it.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Sun Jul 19, 2015 11:55 pm

Hello, I was bored as the WV site was down for some time it seems and read some threads. I read some little thing you were discussing about internet and social media being a great tool for GFW and some other saying it is not.

Being a professional of Social Media I can tell you it can totally work greatly for a small company, but it depends on your strategy. Paying for Twitter Ads or Facebook Ads or even YouTube ads can work with some hundreds or thousands of dollar invested.

I have a small entertainment project going on since February and we had grown our community to 5,000+ more people with just $100 dlls of investment in advertisement, it is not much, but hey, I am poor. So they can do it, they just have to be smart, see what their audience is looking for and invest in that segmentation to get them. A small ad on Youtube in some videos like Botchamanias or Top 10 Super Swirly Shooting Star Press Thingies or whatever to attract them to their channel or a video. Assisting to conventions (even if smalls) and involve the people in some way to their channel. And other social networks can totally work.

The only company in America that has used Social Media in a good way is WWE, and even them took some while to realize what to do (remember Tout?). But having a good Social Media Manager on their side could help them grow little by little. It is not an issue if it works or not as a tool, it is an issue of what strategy are they going to be using.