Destination America Cancels Impact

Discuss the latest happenings in GFW. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Destination America Cancels Impact

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:03 pm

What I'm driving at is that for Jarrett's sake, he should be distancing himself as much as humanly possible from the trainwreck known as TNA, to keep people from thinking his brand new, shiny train that he just put on the tracks is in no way, shape or form like the burning pile of rubble nearby. Yes, there's a crew cleaning up that shit heap, but no one cares by this point. Jarrett should take the fresh start he's trying to give himself with GFW and run the fuck away from TNA as fast and as far as he can.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jun 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Jeff Jarrett is no more going to be able to distance himself from TNA than Bill Gates could Microsoft. The promotional benefit from having a direct line to all those Impact viewers that will be searching for a new wrestling home when TNA goes out of business, not to mention the easy money this will make him, outweighs the marginal drawback of being mentioned in the same sentence as TNA a few more times.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:41 pm

Perhaps so, but do you think "all those impact viewers" (which don't number enough to crack over 1000 seats at a live show anywhere in the US anymore), who are comprised mostly of hardcore wrestling fans as it is, didn't already know about GFW?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:49 pm

Most did, I'm sure. Now they all do, and those that knew got a reminder. That's how marketing works.

Looks like another benefit for GFW, and perhaps the biggest one, is that TNA has given the okay for their talent to appear on GFW shows. That's been a sticking point, and with GFW holding their first TV taping in a month (despite not having a distribution deal in place), time was of the essence.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:16 pm

I suppose that's an upside, or they could have waited a few months for TNA to go belly up and gotten what they wanted then. They had enough of a roster to get started with as it was. I wouldn't take the risk of bringing in guys still on TNA TV. It's just too much muddying of the water for my liking. The TNA name does not have a good reputation and hitching your promotions wagon to that name right off the get go is a terrible idea.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:34 pm

What I gathered from the news bit from an interview with Jarrett on the front page is that Jarrett is trying to get "handshake agreements" from every promotion he can (besides WWE, because they'd have no need to) so he's more or less trying to create GFW to be a hub of sorts to connect all these promotions together. Like the NWA territory days without defined geographical territories, so to speak.

Also, TNA once again can't pay their staff.

They're also introducing a "King of the Mountain" championship. So, no money to pay the staff, but thousands lying around to to blow on belts and trophies.

If I look up 'Inept' in the dictionary will I see the TNA logo beside it?

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:26 pm

They also just made a new, green X Division belt, because reasons.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:39 am

Well, there you have it: http://www.wrestleview.com/tna-news/562 ... f-feb-2016

TNA is in the market for a network again.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sat Sep 19, 2015 5:53 pm

Think this may be the last few months TNA is alive. Not sure they can survive this.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:00 pm

The slow death of TNA may be over in the coming months. I honestly can't think of any network that would pick them up.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:26 pm

It certainly doesn't help them that they embarrassed themselves when Meltzer originally reported that DA cancelled them. They basically went out of their way to slander Meltzer and threaten to sue him for false reporting, then surprise surprise, TNA is looking for a new Network in September. It looks like DA gave TNA the good will that Spike gave them, in that they will let them finish out the year, but after that, it's curtains.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:35 pm

Ratings are down significantly in the UK too. Really doesn't look too good for them.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:45 pm

I do feel bad for the workers involved, it's a bad bit of business for all them. But TNA has no one but themselves to blame. They effectively buried themselves with over a decade of shitty, shitty booking and storytelling to the point where absolutely no one gives a shit about TNA save for a small pocket of fans. This is despite the fact that reviewers and fans alike have said that this past year has been some of TNA's best work in the 2010's. It hasn't made a difference in viewership/attendance. All of that doesn't matter though, because advertisers just don't want their products being shilled between TNA's programming. I can't see any other broadcaster that would want TNA at this point. At least no one that is going to offer them a time slot outside the midnight to 6am range.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:53 pm

The amount of horrible decisions TNA has made over the years is quite simply unimaginable. In the latest version of Death of WCW, Bryan Alvarez wrote in his epilogue a list about 10-15 pages long of bullet points and what TNA has done wrong (basically as a way for him to set up his Death of TNA book), and it didn't encompass everything (but did include Sting in a Sting mask hitting RVD with a chair and taking off the Sting mask to in fact reveal himself as Sting).

This is a company that started their promotion by doing weekly PPVs without any free alternative to build them up. They've made horrible decisions for years, their tape library will be interesting, I hope WWE buys the library when TNA goes out of business.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:04 pm

TNA has always been its own worst enemy. The saddest thing about TNA is that the guys and girls in the ring and even many behind the scenes have worked hard to try and make TNA succeed. But the people in the power positions are just so completely and utterly inept that every time the talent on either side of the curtain took TNA a step in the right direction, the top brass invariably managed to drive them three steps backwards. The only reason why TNA never went belly up like any other number of shoddily run, defunct indy promotions is because TNA has financial backing and the uncanny ability to luck into TV deals that most promoters could only ever dream of. They could afford to have inept management while someone like MLW or WWA had no such margin for error. Despite this, it's only in the eleventh hour that the product has reportedly been turning around and it's far too late now. The name TNA Impact or any combination thereof (and GFW, if they keep blurring the line between themselves and TNA) is a turnoff for any former and potential fans simply because TNA has inadvertently ensured that it has become synonymous with mediocrity.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:35 pm

The downfall of TNA will be a case study for years. They had the benefit of financial backing, tvs deals, and seeing all the things that lead to WCW's death and they still pissed it all away.

Ultimately, like Nucks, I feel for this last group of men and women because all reports coming out are that they are trying their best to put on quality shows, yet it is far too late for it.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:20 pm

TNA's movin to pop tv biotches

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:15 pm

From one little network to another. It's just life support at this point.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:22 am

So they went from Spike, which was paying them good money to record and produce their shows. They then went to Destination America, which paid them money to record and produce their shows, but was nothing like what they received from Spike (and they substantially cut costs as well). Now, to POP TV, where they are paying for their TV time.

Yikes. Just let the thing fucking die already.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:04 am

Agreed. Put this bitch out of its misery!!