Josh Mathews

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: Josh Mathews

Post by GooberBM » Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:57 am

Not in WCW. By then he became a caricature of himself

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:05 am

Well he wasn't asked to be quick witted and a heel anymore. That's what made him so good.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:54 pm

The guy in WCW couldn't have done it if they asked him to either

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:04 pm

I thought the pairing of Schiavone and Heenan was alright, it didn't have the magic of the Monsoon/Heenan pairing, but Heenan certainly made Schiavone much more tolerable to listen to. As a straight play-by-play guy Schiavone was good, when he'd try to add colour to that is when he needed Heenan to play off or he was lost, IMO.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:22 pm

I think companies like TNA and WWE should fluctuate the commentators, different pairings every week to keep things fresh, plus utilize the wrestlers who are good on the table more often, so you don't have to listen to the same people every week. I think it would give each show kind of a different feel.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Dec 23, 2014 8:54 am

That used to be pretty normal in the WWF & WCW, and I absolutely co-sign.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:39 am

I find it absolutely hard to listen to this match and call Taz a "bad" commentator.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:47 pm

Jerry Lawler was far better on commentary 15 years ago, does that make him not bad now?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:42 pm

For the record, I really can't remember a whole lot of his commentary. I was watching that match drunk and thought that he was pretty good. If he's gotten a lot worse since then, I'll have to take your word for it.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:50 am

You just can't post a good bit of commentary in a vacuum and say "how can this guy be bad?" We've seen shitty wrestlers have good matches before and vice versa.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:09 pm

I never found Tazz to be deplorably bad to the point where I can no longer watch. He's been facepalm worthy on a few occasions, but never: "I can't bear it anymore! The sound of my ever present tinnitus is more satisfying than this!"

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:58 pm

I always found Tazz on commentary to just be dreadfully boring. He usually stays away from saying things that make me want to pull my hair out, but that's probably mostly to do with him barely saying anything at all, for the most part. He just... says words... sometimes.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:05 pm

And jbl messes up with Jericho or ortons many title reigns every time he mentions about them

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jan 05, 2015 2:27 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote:I always found Tazz on commentary to just be dreadfully boring. He usually stays away from saying things that make me want to pull my hair out, but that's probably mostly to do with him barely saying anything at all, for the most part. He just... says words... sometimes.
I'd rather a mostly mute Tazz over an incessant JBL. At least in TNA he never had to say much, Mike Tenay's a workhorse on commentary. Always liked what he brought to the table on WCW Nitro with Heenan and Schiavone. Which reminds me, as bad as Tazz is, I think Larry Zybysko was worse.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:29 am

I never found Taz to be really good or bad, just boring as bird shit. Easily the best thing he brought to the table was him saying "welp here comes the pain!" whenever Brock Lesnar came out. Honestly, Taz sold Brock as a badass with so little words, better than anybody has before or since. Other than that, Taz is shitty at worse and bland at best.

JBL, circa 2006-2007 was not a bad commentator and bordered on being a good one. Now, good lord I hate listening to him. Sure he is good for the good one liner here and there, but mostly he is unbearable.

Lawler hasn't been fun, interesting, or anything as a commentator for about 10-12 years. I thought he was great when he and Vince were paired up and was enjoyable, although a bit pervy, during the Attitude Era. It was past time to move him off of Raw.

I honestly never got the over-love/hype that Gorilla Monsoon gets. He was alright, but he seemed really bland as a PBP guy.

I hope Josh does well in TNA. I really wish he could've stayed on with WWE and eventually taken the head seat on Raw with Booker, because I think that team had really grown when they were together.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:45 am

I heard Josh Mathews tna commentating when I watched the tna whc
match between Angle & Lashley man he is good&epic with Taz he deserves to
be a lead man I am going to look forward to impact on youtube next weekend
also.

and it was the first match I watched since may, 2014 I sure do like
TNA but feel like myself again these days.