Bobby Roode wins his 2nd tna whc

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Bobby Roode wins his 2nd tna whc

Post by El Canuck » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:58 pm

Like AWA in their last days and that horrendous pink studio.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:11 am

That is a gloriously atrocious colour scheme. I have to respect their gall.

As an aside, television is really missing out, these days, by not having studio wrestling. It's so cheap to make, and is such chaotic fun. Everyone's always trying to play the big atmosphere game with the WWE, which they can never, ever win, instead of just putting on entertaining television, and banking ad money.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:20 am

If it's any consolation, TNA is slowly getting to that.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:27 am

Not in any way, no. They had a sound stage, but did everything they could to make it NOT a television studio. Also, they'd have to be on TV in order to be a television show.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:42 am

I meant the empty venues. They've worked hard at slowly driving away audiences to get that "Empty studio" vibe going. I mean, to go from drawing thousands to two hundred for title changes? That takes a deep seated dedication to shittyness to drive the fans to that level of apathy. It almost takes driving them to outright antipathy.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:29 am

They drew thousands?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:14 am

I recall back when I was heavily involved with wrestling (gonna say about '08-'09) they were still able to draw a few thousand for PPV's and that was when they were first leaving the Universal studio for said PPV's.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:42 am

Were they drawing that much? It's not like we'd be able to determine it anyway since there's no ticket information.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:45 am

I do mean on the lower end of the "few thousand" threshold. I don't think they ever did above 2000-2500, but still, that's 10x what they drew for Bobby Roode's latest world title change.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:50 am

Wikipedia lists attendance figures for all of their PPVs, which I presume come from Meltzer.

A look through their entire PPV history from 2006 (when they began taking some shows outside Orlando) to 2012 (when I couldn't pretend to care anymore) tells me that you're correct. Running nearly every PPV on the road in I think 2008, they consistently drew 3-4000 fans. Samoa Joe's title reign was pretty easily their top selling one, although that could also be because it was the only period where they ran so consistently on the road. The moment the Main Event Mafia showed up on PPV posters, which I assume was when they debuted, they flipped the switch, and most PPVs went back to Orlando. If memory serves, they were still trying to run Impact on the road, which is just ridiculous. How not-rocket-science is it to run your TV show in the studio with a papered audience, and charge admission for your PPVs? That should not have been a hard concept.

Anyway, this really put into perspective how atrocious this year has been, attendance wise. None of the numbers they've drawn have been on the same order of magnitude to what even they were doing, only a few years ago. If they couldn't pay the bills when they put 3000 people per month into arenas in second- or third-rate cities in America, how in the hell could they even consider operating a business when 200 people paid to see a TV taping.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:58 am

There you go. TNA was never the most successful model for running a wrestling promotion, but it was a heck of a lot better then. You'd think people would learn from folded promotions like the AWA and WCW, but TNA has not only repeated every mistake that WCW made, but they've managed to make WCW look better managed by contrast.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:49 am

TNA has invented a whole lot of mistakes.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:25 am

At least they are innovators.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 03, 2014 11:37 am

Truly a cutting edge company. They just struggle to keep the cutting edge off their own skin.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:08 pm

El Canuck wrote:There you go. TNA was never the most successful model for running a wrestling promotion, but it was a heck of a lot better then. You'd think people would learn from folded promotions like the AWA and WCW, but TNA has not only repeated every mistake that WCW made, but they've managed to make WCW look better managed by contrast.
I will disagree vehemently with anyone who thinks TNA was worse than WCW, at least WCW at the end. WCW late 99-2001 is the worst professional wrestling on a national level that has ever happened in this country.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:12 pm

I never said on air product, I said management.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:41 pm

Even still, WCW's management was horrible too. The choices they made…oh my god.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:02 pm

The management decisions made in WCW in the dying days were largely made by Vince Russo, who TNA not only brought in, but released only reluctantly amid great pressure to do so. Even after Dixie let him go, she STILL tried to secretly put him back on payroll in a consulting role, much to the chagrin of Spike. That TNA were daft enough to bring him in at all, knowing all he had been responsible for in WCW, is a bigger blunder than anything WCW did with him, as at least WCW had no idea he was so terrible when he came aboard. All they knew was him saying "I came up with DX" and carefully omitting the part where Vince McMahon filtered out half a dozen terrible ideas before getting to that one.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:21 pm

Russo wasn't solely responsible for WCW, it was already going to fail. What he did was pour gasoline onto the engulfing flames of the company as a means to try and put it out.

Russo is a fascinating case study though. Almost a year to the day after Owen Hart fell from the rafters, Vince Russo booked Chris Kanyon to fall 20 feet from the top of a cage to the platform connecting the stage to the ring and begin a Kanyon is paralyzed angle.

Trust me, WCW 2000 under Vince Russo is worse than TNA.

Though I'm now confused as to whether you are considering WCW management of on air product or business management.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 03, 2014 6:41 pm

Legit business wise, kayfabe on air programs are just icing on a terrible cake.