Spike drops TNA

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Re: Spike drops TNA

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:33 pm

They already had flippy flops, so now I suppose they're Japanese, right Jimmy?

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:35 pm

So basically, TNA will be in 30m less homes approximately but will probably be the flagship for the network. But I can't imagine them doing that well.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:45 pm

Of course, that's all relative to the network's projections, which you'd figure will be significantly lower than the million viewers Impact drew on Spike. With 60% the market penetration, 600,000 would be a sensible benchmark.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:13 pm

I have read some interesting things from TNA fans that are happy they are leaving Spike and that they now finally have momentum. What momentum do they have?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:06 pm

I don't think they know the meaning of that word.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:59 pm

Got downvoted into oblivion on Reddit, fucking TNA fanboys. Keep in mind it got less up votes on Reddit than "Hardest Bumps by Women in WWE History."

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Wrestling fans on Reddit are idiots.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:43 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote:They already had flippy flops, so now I suppose they're Japanese, right Jimmy?
Flippy flops and head drops is about as Japanese as it gets.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:20 am

Hai.

stonecoldnimrod
Twitter: stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:28 pm

not sure if destination america is goin to show their episodes imediately after their run on spike, but i would like for them to take the time off. come back in january and either totally reboot the brand, show, or at LEAST the booking directions they've gone in with some of the talent. suggestions:

1) their attempt at using mid size arenas for their tapings have failed in my opinion. the bethehem episodes are a blatant example. they should scale down to small locations that can fit 400-600 people so they can have the look of a sell out crowd, yet still keep the intimacy vibe of the shows, like the manhattan center tapings, but a bit smaller than that. and keep it on the road!

2) general managers, ceo's, authority type figures: for the most part have failed. the only bright example was jeff jarrett, but he was portrayed more as just a dominant but crafty wrestling villain, and not the ceo of tna. if a heel wrestler is dominant enough, then can overshadow the need to have an 'authority' figure as the main heel of a brand. this is where lashley's stable would have come in very handy...

3) ppv's. they are nowhere capable of doing 12 a month. so why are they doing monthly free per views, and then 12 separate gimmick ppv's that really have no continuity to current storylines? if all the title changes and major swerves happen on the episodes (that are taped weeks, sometimes months in advance), then the payoff is lost if there is one to begin with. i would have impact be a 1 hour long show with pay per views every 3 months. that's 4 ppv's a year: genesis (second weekend of january), lockdown (last week of april), slammiversary (second week of july), and bound for glory (mid to late october). that's where you attempt to have a 100-1500 seat arena for your show and not 15% of the alamodome.
facebook.com/houstonwrestlingradio

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:38 pm

Don't they already do 4 PPVd a year, with the "one night only" specials they record in advance?

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:46 pm

They had Sacrifice this year back in april or may it was last year they did genesis but
not this year I think it was a free per view episode or I could be wrong but I know
there was sacrifice that had willows photo as the poster.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:55 pm

The plan was to run clip shows through the rest of the year, anyway, before Spike decided to bail. TNA has been holding dates at the end of the first week of January at the Manhattan Center, so they'll be taping new episodes then.

Otherwise, yeah, I'm totally on board with what you're saying. While, yes, Jama, they only had 4 regular PPVs this year, they have still been doing monthly big shows, but with them being special episodes of Impact. That's completely stupid, and just gives people LESS incentive to buy the stupid PPVs. Now, you don't want to go down to only doing four World Title matches in a year, so you'll have to be "giving" some away on TV, but just do them on regular episodes of Impact; don't treat the whole show like it's something special, with a bullshit undercard of PPV-esque programs. The great thing about having four titles that people could care about is that you can SPREAD THEM OUT, and get a full month's worth of episodes featuring a title match, instead of clumping them all together where they step on each other's toes.

This all goes in the #NotRocketScience bin, of course.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:07 pm

I'm all for TNA scaling back their ppv dates. Four a year works good for a company that size and in such poor shape. I'd be for WWE cutting their shows to about 8 a year, but I can't get my hopes up about that.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

stonecoldnimrod
Twitter: stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:09 pm

good news everyone!

tna signed with destination america with new episodes beginning in january. i for one am glad that this company doesn't go out of business. hooray competition!
facebook.com/houstonwrestlingradio

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:32 pm

That's a loose translation for competition.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Bob
Developmental Talent

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 1:56 pm

This is good news for TNA Wrestling. I hope the company uses this January 2015 launching date as a chance to re-launch/re-boot the brand. Sign some new talent and please tape TV in smaller arenas or even a regular studio like Universal Studios or even the Manhattan Centre. It gives the taping a more intimate feel and makes it seem like a legitimate sell out rather than 2 or 300 fans in an arena which holds thousands as was said in an earlier post. Go on the road for your four pay-per-views a year, the odd TV special and maybe the odd live event, if you select your markets well you can draw well. TNA drew good crowds usually in Canada, Philadelphia, Texas, New York, Georgia, Boston, Chicago, Missouri and Michigan.

Bob
Developmental Talent

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:23 pm

Tennessee, New Jersey and Ohio were other places they drew decent numbers. I never understood why they didn't stick to these markets where they drew decent crowds. For example they held two pay per views in Michigan, one in Plymouth in 2006 and the other in Auburn Hills in 2009 and drew over 4,000 fans at each one. With the proper build up and promotion of each pay per view which you can do with only four a year TNA has no excuses and can pull those types of crowds in again and seriously another thing that affects their pay per views is having only three matches announced week before the pay per view again with only four pay per view events a year there is no excuse for that.

If the fans enjoyed themselves at these previous events I'm sure they'll want to see TNA again if they re-visit these markets again.
Last edited by Bob on Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:33 pm

2006 and 2009 TNA aren't 2014 TNA.

Hell, in 2011, they were pulling around 1.5 million viewers.

Today, they're hardly cracking 1 million. The product isnt as popular as it used to be, and that's going to hurt attendance.

Bob
Developmental Talent

Post by Bob » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:46 pm

Very true and they don't have the big names they had then. Then they had the likes of Booker T, Sting, Christian Cage, Hogan, Flair, Mick Foley, Team 3D, Kevin Nash etc all big and recognisable names in the history of the industry which no doubt helped those attendances.

Having said that they still have the likes of Kurt Angle, Mr Anderson, the Hardys, MVP, Lashley, Rhino recognisable names from the WWE and ECW and if they go get Del Rio it will help. Plus they have the TNA originals ie Low Ki, Joe, Roode, Storm and Abyss etc and some exciting new talent. My point is they still have the roster to put on a hell of a meaningful show.

If they hold say Genesis as a Pay-Per-View in Plymouth Michigan at the end of this upcoming January, but lose say 15 or 20% of the crowd they pulled in there in 2006 that's still 3,600 fans which is a decent number by today's standards considering the health of the industry.

Surely its better than the crowds they pulled in Bowie, Maryland (100-300) and the recent TV tapings in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania (lowest attendance was 200, highest was 650).