Eric Young beats Magnus to win the TNA World title from IW

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Eric Young beats Magnus to win the TNA World title from IW

Post by isrs4life » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:02 pm

From a live Impact tonight 4/10/2014
Eric young won a 10 man gauntlet elimination match to become
the number #1 contender for the tna world heavyweight championship
when he eliminated Abyss last.

He made a request to MVP saying he waited over 10 years for this
match and he wanted it and MVP accepted and told Magnus that
it wont be his rules and there would be no interference which was
a great decision.

I just watched an incredible match between Magnus and Eric Young
where Eric Young was really awesome getting move for move on Magnus
and hit him with his piledriver and even kickout out of a low blow to win
the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.

This is why I like TNA, another nice new one hit wonder title reign made it was Eric
Young's night he waited over 10 years for it and beat Magnus clean.

and it was an fun impact to.

Congratulations, E.Y.!!!

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Re: Eric Young beats Magnus to win the TNA World title from

Post by Little Jimmy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:38 am

He'll drop it to Sharkboy, next month.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:43 am

J-Bout's angry rant about it was fun.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:30 am

It does seem like they were ripping off WWE. I can't say I blame them, in a way. He made a good point in his rant.

My biggest issue with it though is the one hit wonder title reigns, and just whoring the title around in general. The last few years have seen Bobby Roode, James Storm, Austin Aries, Bully Ray, Chris Sabin, Jeff Hardy, AJ Styles, Magnus and now Eric Young hold the title. Maybe not as excessive as I make it sound, but still seems kind of a heavy list.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:35 am

Ahh lot of hate of course from wrestleview here I find TNA has been putting on a good product.

Please stop going off topic, normal discussion should be needed.

Oh AJ Styles is no one hit wonder he is accually a former 5 time tna world champion including his 3
nwa world title wins.

Eric Young should be discussed magnus could of had a nice reign but E.Y. had a good story
build last night. The guys who tna put as champ the last few years are new not old guys
and makes me believe in them like Bobby Roode.

I have been trying to make normal discussion here me and dontcallme and a few others
like discussing tna please only discuss his win. I hate all the bashing...

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:29 pm

isrs4life wrote:Please stop going off topic, normal discussion should be needed.
At no point in this thread has anyone gone off topic.

Anyway, I'm no TNA viewer, but I follow along with Josh Boutwell's excellent recaps and reviews (often just the reviews). Eric Young rising to the title has so little build behind it. He has gone from comedy midcarder to World Champ with almost no transition, which is why so many are saying it's a WWE rip-off. It feels like they just decided to go with the little fan favourite who has a beard, rather than telling a... what do you call it... story.

That said, EY is a pretty good worker, and somebody who has been handed plenty of assignments out of nowhere, only to make them work, so there's reason to be optimistic. If this works, it's in spite of TNA's booking, not because of it.

dontcallme
Rookie

Post by dontcallme » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:23 pm

Like many times with TNA I'm in 2 minds with regards to EY winning.

The negative/analytical side says they did this out of nowhere and a guy who has gone from comedic midcarder without a notable win in a long time has just beaten the world champ after fighting 2 matches in one night.

Hard not to compare with Daniel Bryan except of course Bryan had had a huge amount of storytelling, winning ppv matches and fan support leading to his win. EY has the fan support but little else.

I'm not sure they've really thought this one out.

But the positive side of me is simply happy as EY is an excellent wrestler and very popular. Magnus' reign was dull and he needed to lose to a popular champ.

The fact that I truly believed Magnus would win makes me less certain out the outcomes of TNAs matches. This gives a bit more excitement to TNA as sometimes the randomness can make me enjoy the individual moment more.

So congrats to EY, he is a good enough wrestle to be champ and has a good enough character for the fans to care.

I really hope they book him well and give him some big matches.

Bobby Roode should be the top heel right now so hopefully we'll get that match at some point during EY's reign.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:27 pm

Team Canada warfare, yo.

stonecoldnimrod
Twitter: stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Fri Apr 11, 2014 2:30 pm

i think if joe didn't have that concussion he would have been the one to beat magnus, and MAYbe we wouldn't have the exact same issues that we do here with ey. as a pro wrestler with such a long career he 'could' be deserving of the title. but with a good 2 month biuld before a bound for glory or slammiversary. but there really wasn't any clear cut transition from his storyline with abyss to suddenly being a champion.

not to mention that this just feels like a knee jerk reaction to wwe. had this change happened with ey at, say, slammiversary, it would have been great. but doing it now? not so much. i'm happy for eric and hope this isn't just a wham bam thank you ma'am situation, but knowing tna... hmmm.
facebook.com/houstonwrestlingradio

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:32 pm

They put out a Press Release:
TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP CHANGES HANDS

ERIC YOUNG WINS TNA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP ON IMPACT WRESTLING

NASHVILLE, Tenn. (April 10, 2014) – In a surprising twist, professional wrestler, TNA Superstar, fantasy sports fanatic and Animal Planet star “Showtime” Eric Young (twitter: @ShowtimeEY) tonight became the new TNA World Heavyweight Champion, defeating reigning champion Magnus during an explosive episode of IMPACT WRESTLING. Airing weekly on Thursday at 9/8c on Spike TV and viewed by millions in more than 120 countries around the globe, IMPACT viewers were treated to an explosive episode with the return of President Dixie Carter after she lost control of wrestling operations more than a month ago and a 10-man gauntlet match for the #1 Contender’s spot resulting in Young’s win. Demanding that he face Magnus in the ring the same night, Young captured the TNA World Heavyweight Championship after delivering the piledriver to the reining champ.

This is the first time the remarkably athletic adrenaline junkie Young, who often goes by “EY,” has held the TNA World Heavyweight Championship belt. A hockey-loving native of Canada and current Nashville, Tenn. resident, Young, age 34, has been a stable of the TNA roster for more than a decade.

“This moment is 17 years in the making and a childhood dream realized,” said Young. “Professionally, it doesn’t get any better than becoming the TNA World Heavyweight Championship.”

Young began his professional wrestling training after graduating from high school and quickly made his mark. He joined TNA in 2004 and went on to become a multiple time Tag Team Champion. Young is also the first and only male to hold the TNA Knockouts Tag Team Championship, winning with his now wife, ODB. Recently Young has been feuding with his former best friend, former lawyer turned Monster and Magnus business associate, Abyss.

A fan-favorite known for his antics, and charisma inside and outside of the squared circle, Young began hosting Animal Planet’s hit series “Off The Hook: Extreme Catches” in 2012 and is preparing his return to the channel with a new program premiering in early summer.
Funny they thought to highlight that he was the first and only male to hold the TNA Knockout's Tag Team championship. Quite an impressive feat, that.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Look for Daniel Bryan to win the Divas Title once someone at WWE gets wind of that press release.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Apr 12, 2014 11:10 pm

They'll have to create their own Divas Tag Team Championships, for Daniel and Brie to win. Only to drop the titles to John Cena and Nikki at WrestleMania31, or Brock Lesnar and Sable. Punk and AJ would be another possibility.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:41 pm

Well, I like about 4 post out of this thread, I see stonecoldnimrod watches tna abit still
I still feel pretty good over impact last thursday when Eric Young won the tna world title
yeah he was knockouts tag champ and I also thought that was pretty stupid. I sort of
dont mind odb she brings a little stone cold flavour to her. But Eric recently been with Joseph Park
and brought back Abyss to his natural form what could have also made him the tna world heavyweight
champion from out of no where.

Oh and if WWE didnt have any crappy characters who became world champion like Mark Henry
with Mae Young giving birth to a hand.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun Apr 13, 2014 5:51 pm

I actually enjoyed Mark Henry's title run. But that is sort of a good example.

When comparing TNA's booking with EY. He is a guy who "deserved" it, but instead of playing that out and building a compelling storyline, they simply slopped the title on him in one night with no build. Almost seems like a fluke but not such a fluke with the shitty booking of Magnus.

Mark Henry was another guy who had deserved it, but they spent months and months building up that character, constantly stressing the fact that he had been in WWE however many years and never won the big one. That was some good writing and the best long-term work of Henry's career.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:09 pm

You couldn't even write up about TNA's incompetence at this point. It would just seem like a parody wrestling promotion.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

starbucksaholic
VIP Member

Post by starbucksaholic » Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Greg_McNeish wrote: Eric Young rising to the title has so little build behind it. He has gone from comedy midcarder to World Champ with almost no transition, which is why so many are saying it's a WWE rip-off. It feels like they just decided to go with the little fan favourite who has a beard, rather than telling a... what do you call it... story.
And here lies the difference between WWE and pretty every other company in the world (outside of New Japan and perhaps CMLL).

Daniel Bryan was a beloved character based on a comedy shtick. So what WWE does? They give you a taste of him being the champion (letting you know he can do it), and then take the proper to turn him into a serious, believable entity. So then he can run the ball in a way that gives him at least a shot at becoming a player. Which he has.

TNA sees the oven's hot and just throws the first piece of meat available to broil. Thinking that because it's already hot, that it will cook well because it's positioned at the right place. Which (most of the time) ends up with the meat being burned due to bad timing.

The biggest problem is, TNA has made the mistake on numerous occasions (as someone mentioned earlier), and yet they still do it. That's just a complete lack of observation and common sense. Just sayin'.

PS: Paige looks like a ghost. Can't stand the site of her.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:06 pm

theres my boy starbucks, saying something nice, on impact this week ey was really
exciting put an awesome monsters ball match against abyss for the title you guys should
watch it on the net.

He is also scheduled to have a rematch with Magnus if he gets through that he will be a defending
champion it be cool if he lost it to kurt angle whos deserving of a one more title reign since how
long hes had to put other people over.

I've said this twice already and I need your thoughts.
and you should of heard the comments dixie carter said about media over the last week impact about the beard situation and says that ey had it longer then daniel bryan and she should be getting royalty checks sent to her since she claimed to be that inventor yes she said that to she was also being a massive over heel.