Which TNA wrestlers could make it in WWE?

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
dontcallme
Rookie

Which TNA wrestlers could make it in WWE?

Post by dontcallme » Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:42 am

There was a time when many thought popular Indy and TNA wrestlers wouldn't get a fair chance in WWE.

Paul London, Kazarian, Kid Kash and others had a following on their arrival to WWE but failed to make a huge impact.

But since then Daniel Bryan and CM Punk have become top guys in WWE. I'm no wrestling analyst. I don't know if their success is down to them being able to change their style a bit to suit WWE, having a different personality to those who failed or something else.

Out the current TNA wrestlers I think these could have a good career if they decided to move to WWE:

Samoa Jo: good wrestler, comfortable on the mic and needs some direction to get his career going.

Bobby Roode: has a good look, very good wrestler and has a natural charisma.

Austin Aries: probably my favourite wrestler there.

Sabin and Abyss are maybes but probably not for me.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Re: Which TNA wrestlers could make it in WWE?

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun Nov 03, 2013 12:23 pm

We'd actually just been talking about this in the Random Questions thread of the WWE Forum. To answer the question in the title of the thread:

Nobody.

Everyone that has grown up in TNA has been trained to wrestle, act, and otherwise perform in a different environment than the WWE. Without making any commentary on the quality of these wrestlers, or their training, there are fundamental differences in the way TNA & WWE wrestlers structure matches, build promos, present characters, and interact with the crowd. Anyone jumping between them has a learning curve, and while TNA has their WWE-signees work that out on Impact, the WWE keeps people in NXT until they're acclimated. That takes time, which brings me to the central theme of my argument:

The "prospects" in TNA are too old to be worth training.

Samoa Joe is 34, and has been fighting weight & motivation issues for years. It's a big "if" as to whether he'd ever be able to get in shape to work a full schedule with the WWE, but if he could, it would take a long time. He'd not only need to take the weight off, but prove that he can keep it off. By the end of that process, you're looking at debuting someone that's 36 or 37 years old, who already has a string of injuries behind them. That's not worth the investment.

Speaking of debuting someone that's 36 years old, Bobby Roode is already that age. I've seen enough of his ringwork to know that he's adept at the "Kurt Angle style", which isn't what the WWE uses. Even if he's able to run through developmental as fast as, say, Antonio Cesaro did, he'll be 37 years old, and just getting started. Again, that's not worth the investment.

Abyss is 40. That's a year younger than Big Show, but two years older than Rey Mysterio. That's a non-starter, when you've already got young monsters in the form of the Wyatt family, who are almost a decade younger.

Aries & Sabin are the only guys I wouldn't completely write off. Aries is 35, but has the most upside of anyone on the TNA roster. It would be taking a chance on him, because he doesn't have near the indy following of Punk or Bryan. He's probably on par with Cesaro, in terms of instant fanbase, but Cesaro fits the traditional WWE mould much more than Aries does. It would be taking a flyer on Aries, but if he was willing to take the regular low wage of a WWE developmental contract, then he'd be worth a look. No way in hell he'd be willing to do that, though, because it would be a substantial pay cut from what he's making now, and probably less than he could make on the indy scene, especially since he could easily land work with a big Mexican or Japanese company.

Chris Sabin is 31, so he's in the right age range to sign (a little on the high side, but still in range). I just don't think he's very good, or has all that much potential.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:45 pm

What about AJ Styles?

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:55 pm

He was covered in the random questions thread in the WWE forum. The answer is a hard no.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:59 pm

Styles is 36, so take what I said about Bobby Roode, and change the name.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:45 pm

I'll repost the roster ages again:

AJ Styles (not listed on the roster page) - 35
Abyss/Joseph Park - 40
Austin Aeries - 35
Bobby Roode - 36
Bully Ray - 42
Chavo Guerrero - 43
Chris Daniels - 43
Chris Sabin - 31
D-Von - 41
Eric Young - 33
Ethan Carter (Derrick Bateman) - 30
Garrett Bischoff - 29
Gunner - 31
Hernandez - 40
James Storm - 36
Jay Bradley - 32
Jeff Hardy - 36
Jessie Godderz - 27
Kazarian - 36
Kenny King - 32
King Mo - 32 (MMA fighter, only worked in OVW as of yet)
Knux (Mike Knox) - 35
Kurt Angle - 44
Magnus - 26 (surprising, he looks much older)
Manik (played by T.J Perkins) - 29
Mr. Anderson - 37
Rob Terry - 33
Robbie E - 30
Rockstar Spud - 30
Sam Shaw - 29
Samoa Joe - 34
Sting - 54
Wes Brisco - 30
Zema Ion - 27

So there you go, five guys barely under 30 on the whole roster, one of them is Garrett Bischoff. One of the guys who's exactly 30 is Wes Brisco. Let's look at the Knockouts:

Brooke - 28
Gail Kim - 37
Lei'D Tapa - 30
ODB - 35
Taryn Terrell (the former ECW GM Tiffany, also the ex of DRUUUU) - 27
Velvet Sky -32

Hmmm, the only two under 30 in the Knockouts are both former WWE Divas, one with an ex still in the 'E who left on bad terms over him.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:53 am

Magnus is only 26? Fuck! Yeah, that guy would be worth investing in.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:54 am

Yeah, I thought for sure there was no way he was younger than me. I think it's his hairline throws me off, I checked several sites that all said 26. No wonder TNA invested in him years ago coming off that Gladiators show. I think WWE could use him, and definitely wash the "TNA stink" off of him.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:23 am

I think Chavo will be brought back as a trainer or agent with NXT. Guy knows too much about the business not to use him in that way.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:36 am

I can definitely see WWE utilizing him again down the road. As both a trainer/agent and for one off appearances, as the youngest and most able of the Guerrero men and all. (Yes, I know he's a nephew, not a brother of the main line, hence why I said Guerrero men and not brothers)

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:39 am

I said it in the other thread, but I'd take a flier on EY. He may be 33, but if he stays as more of a character worker, he'd be fine in WWE.

But Magnus is the crown jewel out of that roster, whatever that may be worth.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:49 am

Well, looking over the list again, in a hypothetical where WWE was buying TNA (if they were offered the right price I think they would, for the tape library and image rights if nothing else; WWE has a penchant for buying those up) here's who I'd look at bringing over:

- Chris Sabin - 31
- Eric Young - 33
- Jeff Hardy - 36 (the guy is still under 40 and WWE can definitely make money off him again)
- Magnus - 26
- Zema Ion - 27 (very loose maybe, put him on an NXT developmental, leave him there for a while, see how he turns out, haven't seen him work in a while, but I didn't see much in him last time I did.)

- Velvet Sky - 32 (I think there's room for WWE to make use of her, she could fit well with the Divas show, and there's not a lot of adjustment in the Divas division as there would be for the men, plus, it would help to have someone besides Kaitlyn that could go the extra mile with AJ.)

That's it, the rest I'd release.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:18 pm

The library would only be of worth for the Sting stuff and some of the Hardy and Angle matches. I can't imagine TNA being worth all that much though.

Sabin I would pass on, he is in a good age range but I have never been too found of him as a talent.

Of the knockouts Velvet Sky might be the best option, I think she could fit well with AJ.

I'll try not to post too much from Bleacher Report on here, but here is a list of guys who they think would get a look at the WWE, for what it's worth.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1828 ... hould-sign

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:25 pm

Wow...All the old dudes we, especially Greg already dissected and discarded, not counting Jeff Hardy, but they at leasst top the list with Magnus.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:28 pm

CM Punk and Christian footage might be nice to have, plus the footage for any talent they bring over, like an Eric Young, and Magnus.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:29 pm

I wish Bully Ray had the some youth, dude is entertaining.

Yeah, if they plan on doing another Punk dvd, having any worthwhile matches from his TNA days wouldn't be bad. Same with Christian.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Plus they could milk it for WWE on-demand and Vintage Collection like they do with the WCW library.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:37 pm

The WWE likes buying up licensed, but they have demonstrated in the past that they are willing to wait out sellers, until they can get a bargain price. Keep in mind that WCW is the only company they've ever bought outright. They wait for "competitors" to go out of business, then buy the rights from desperate sellers. Heck, they waited until recently to buy the Mid-South library, and that thing actually has, you know, good wrestling in it.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:49 pm

Undoubtedly, there's no rush from their side, to say the least.

dontcallme
Rookie

Post by dontcallme » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:53 am

I actually think Gunner could be packaged into something quite good.

He has an interesting look and the intensity to play a heel.