Kayfabe: When TNA first started, what were our thoughts?

Discuss the latest happenings in Impact Wrestling. Share your thoughts, opinions, etc...
DaddyEccentric
Legend

Kayfabe: When TNA first started, what were our thoughts?

Post by DaddyEccentric » Tue May 08, 2012 6:23 pm

OMG WOW, A NEW COMPANY!
I HOPE THEY BEAT THE WWE AND INTRODUCE NEW AND EXCITING CONCEPTS LIKE A NEW TWIST ON THE BATTLE ROYAL AND THE LADDER MATCH CUZ THE NORMAL VERSIONS SO GOT BORING IN THE WWE!!!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Re: Kayfabe: When TNA first started, what were our thoughts?

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed May 09, 2012 7:57 am

I didn't know that they existed until 2008.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 am

I first stumbled on TNA at some point in either 2006 or ’07 when it used to be on the old British Wrestling Channel. I thought it looked pretty decent and entertaining at the time. I watched a few episodes of iMPACT then totally forgot about it for a couple of years. During the last week of 2008 I noticed that Bravo (which had since picked up TNA in the UK and Ireland) was showing back-to-back reruns of every weekly TV episode and monthly PPV from that year during the day. I caught a good bit of that. I don’t mind admitting that I really enjoyed it. A big part of it was the novelty of seeing some of my old favourites like Kurt Angle and Booker T, whom I hadn’t laid eyes on since they left WWE. I also quite enjoyed the X-Division, having not seen much flippy wrestling before. Having never seen anything from WCW, Sting was totally new to me, as was Samoa Joe as I was barely aware of the existence of the indies at the time.

I thought TNA was a genuine alternative to WWE and started watching it every Friday evening on YouTube in early 2009. It was around that time that I started visiting wrestling websites on a regular basis. At the time, Wrestleview and the radio show that used to be here during those days was fairly nice to TNA. Most of the hosts were actually quite pro-TNA. Even Hunter took it seriously. As the year headed towards its halfway point, though, I began to lose faith in the company. This was partly due to the negative reviews that popped up quite regularly on most sites, but mainly because, after an extended period of viewing the shows, I began to get bored. Storylines that looked so promising in the beginning went nowhere (the Main Event Mafia vs Frontline storyline started off brilliantly and really drew me in at the end of 2008, but it just fizzled out and didn’t even have a proper conclusion); the ex-WWE guys were mere shadows of their former selves; and the wrestling wasn’t very good. So I came to the realisation that TNA was going nowhere and stopped watching. I’ve only watched one full episode of iMPACT and a few PPV matches since then. Since September 2010, I haven’t seen any TNA programming.

So yes, there was a time, not too long ago, when I thought and even preached something to the effect of
DaddyEccentric wrote:OMG WOW, A NEW COMPANY!
I HOPE THEY BEAT THE WWE AND INTRODUCE NEW AND EXCITING CONCEPTS LIKE A NEW TWIST ON THE BATTLE ROYAL AND THE LADDER MATCH CUZ THE NORMAL VERSIONS SO GOT BORING IN THE WWE!!!
Not anymore, though. Not anymore.

DaddyEccentric
Legend

Post by DaddyEccentric » Wed May 09, 2012 11:55 am

OMG RHYNO IS IN TNA!!!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Thu May 10, 2012 3:22 pm

That AJ Styles is some wrestler!

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

DaddyEccentric
Legend

Post by DaddyEccentric » Sat May 12, 2012 5:33 pm

I think TNA is moving up in the wrestling world..watch out WWF!

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:52 am

I've knowned about TNA since October of 2002. Thats why I have liked it so much.
My friend accually tolled me about TNA.

GSDave
VIP Member
Twitter: GetSauced

Post by GSDave » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:31 am

How much was the toll? I guess if you've been a TNA followers that long you have paid a heavy toll.
David Byrne - Regional Manager - Southern Hemisphere Division

SuperMophetBros
Developmental Talent

Post by SuperMophetBros » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:17 am

I found out about TNA right before the Victory Road 04 ppv. At that point and time, WWE had been sucking the proverbial big one, so it wasn't some wild fantasy to think TNA could, at some point, become an alternative.

TNA did a lot of things I liked. JJ was a good veteran champ, as people were screaming for him to lose it. Hardy still had some promise, and the X division was putting on unique matches, not just spot-fests. Not to mention Samoa Joe played an excellent character during his unbeaten streak, and between Rhyno, Raven, Abyss, and a few others, TNA had a pretty good roster.

TNA dropped the ball when brining Angle in. Ever since then it's been about brining in ex-wwe guy after ex-wwe guy. It's tough to imagine, but TNA was a nice little wrestling company for a few years.

JOIN THE BROTHERHOOD Wrestleview's Resident Monster #Heel

Bob
Developmental Talent

Post by Bob » Thu Aug 02, 2012 3:08 am

I first discovered it in late 2003 during the days of the weekly pay per views and Xplosion tapings at the Asylum in Nashville. When I saw Jeff Jarrett, Raven, Dusty Rhodes, Juventud Guerrera, Vampiro, Shane Douglas, 3 Live Kru, D-Lo Brown etc I thought cool this reminds of WCW Monday Nitro and as I really missed Nitro and WCW then (Still do) I started following them as best as I could and I liked the new talent like the Fallen Angel, Abyss and America's Most Wanted. That's when TNA was at its best creatively and wrestling wise, the wrestling matches and feuds at the Asylum from the X-Division to the mid card to the tag teams were the best I had seen in a very, very long time.

However they started trying to me more like the E, rather than a different and real alternative. The late 2006 era of Russo was horrible, just horrible and BIschoff/Hogan coming in was god awful as well (I thought it would be a start of a revival in the company) so I didnt follow it as much.

As of this moment though I'm liking Impact Wrestling on CHallenge, they are focusing more on X-Division and younger guys in top spots, apart from the Aces and 8's storyline though creatively they are lacking, the AJ/Dixie/Claire storyline isnt that good or believable.

Plus I maybe the only one thinking this but Impact just seems like a Smackdown or Thunder to me at the minute. lol. Because of the blue colours and the fact its on Thursday nights. I guess I just prefer the premier shows having red or orange colours (Nitro/Raw) and being on a Monday or Friday night. lol

JoshBoutwell
VIP Member

Post by JoshBoutwell » Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:49 am

This definitely seems like an attempt at someone trolling actual TNA fans, but fuck it...

I heard about TNA in advertisements for the first show in Huntsville, AL. Watched those first two shows and been a fan ever since.
Be sure to read and give me feedback on my recaps of TNA's Impact & Lucha column every week on WrestleView.com!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!!

TDFG
Rookie

Post by TDFG » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:26 pm

At the start I just viewed it on The Wrestling Channel in the UK as a nice small promotion with a few faces I knew (Jarrett, Road Dogg, K-Kwik, Daniels etc.).

Then after a while the likes of Abyss, Monty Brown, Williams, Styles & all the "TNA Originals' grew on me and since then I've watched it with some interest. Wrestling in general needs a promotion that can rival WWE, TNA is a bit ahead of ROH in that department.
Bret Hart: The best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:34 pm

I discovered TNA by the time they got a tv deal. My first thought was: what the fuck is wrong with their ring?
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:36 pm

That was my sister's first reaction, too. I'd moved into her apartment a few months previously (her old room mate bailed on the lease, just so that people don't think I was freeloading), and she had joined me occasionally in watching the WWE (she particularly enjoyed Christian, during his ECW title run). I was sitting down to watch that fateful January episode of Impact, when Hulk Hogan debuted, and she stepped into the living room, silently watched the screen for about 30 seconds, before saying "the ring's the wrong shape," and leaving the room.

I think that was the last time we watched wrestling together, despite me living there for another 8 months.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:05 am

JoshBoutwell wrote:This definitely seems like an attempt at someone trolling actual TNA fans, but fuck it...

I heard about TNA in advertisements for the first show in Huntsville, AL. Watched those first two shows and been a fan ever since.
Greg_McNeish wrote:That was my sister's first reaction, too. I'd moved into her apartment a few months previously (her old room mate bailed on the lease, just so that people don't think I was freeloading), and she had joined me occasionally in watching the WWE (she particularly enjoyed Christian, during his ECW title run). I was sitting down to watch that fateful January episode of Impact, when Hulk Hogan debuted, and she stepped into the living room, silently watched the screen for about 30 seconds, before saying "the ring's the wrong shape," and leaving the room.

I think that was the last time we watched wrestling together, despite me living there for another 8 months.
That would be correct

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

SilentBob
Hall Of Famer

Post by SilentBob » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:28 pm

Ken Shamrock! KEWL!