NJPW: Road to the Tokyo Dome 2015

Discuss wrestling happening everywhere that isn't WWE or TNA.
Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Re: NJPW: Road to the Tokyo Dome 2015

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:25 am

Surprised this hasn't been posted yet.

A NJPW NETWORK for.......999 YEN, which equates to $8.40/month US, $9.54/month Canada (for our friendly neighbors up north).

http://www.wrestleview.com/misc-news/51 ... ng-service

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:36 am

NJPW WORLD blew my mind too much to put together a post. They're even including Wrestle Kingdom 9 in the live schedule, which wasn't expected.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:46 pm

They apparently have loads of old stuff up there as well. I'm going to get it eventually, going to wait until after Finals but live streaming of random NJPW shows and doing a live thread could be pretty fun.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sat Dec 27, 2014 10:15 am

So I'm going to watch WK9 in Japanese. I don't think I can take Matt Striker calling the action. He's going to ruin the show.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:55 pm

I'm no fan of Striker on commentary, as I'm sure Red can recall, but I'm actually pretty optimistic about this. Striker always had great energy and emotion on commentary, but just had ZERO idea how to focus that into useful storytelling. All that eloquence, and no clue what to do with it. The single biggest defining feature of Jim Ross as a play-by-play man has always been that he can cut to the heart of the matter, and lay out EXACTLY what dynamic is at play, and he's got no problem steamrolling right over someone who is dragging their point on and on and on and on and on and on....

Put those two elements together, and I think we've got a pretty good chance of getting some quality commentary out of these guys. I've found out that I'll be working when the show happens live, but I'll be DVRing the GFW PPV to watch with my brother on the evening of the 5th, and hopping onto NJPW World as soon as I'm home.

I'm pretty excited about this show. The top three matches can't possibly be anything but sensational. Nakamura/Ibushi could fart around for 15 minutes, much as they did in last year's G1 Climax, but there's no way their home stretch isn't an absolute gas that makes up for any missteps along the way. Naito/AJ lit the place on fire in this year's G1, so I've got nothing but confidence in them, and Tanahashi/Okada... needs no more hype from me.

I WANT IT TO BE RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Dec 28, 2014 9:54 am

I'm just not optimistic for the American announcers. There's a lot of people involved to relay to these guys what the actual message needs to be. I'm not sure Striker will be as honed in and if he starts throwing out shit from the 80's I'm going to vomit. I'm still possibly open to getting the English commentary, I just worry that they'll get the little things wrong, which undoubtedly would annoy the hell out of me.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 11:12 am

Just created my NJPWWorld.com account. I was wondering, would anyone be up for a live stream where we set up a few matches ahead of time and go over them before the Dome show? I was thinking we could do some of the bigger matches that are leading to the main matches on this show, so something like this:

G1 - Day 4: AJ Styles v. Tetsuya Naito
G1 3rd v. 4th - G1 Final: Hiroshi Tanahashi v. AJ Styles
G1 Final: Kazuchika Okada v. Shinsuke Nakamura
IWGP Intercontinental Title - Destruction In Kobe: Bad Luck Fale (c) v. Shinsuke Nakamura
IWGP World Title - King of Pro Wrestling: AJ Styles (c) v. Hiroshi Tanahashi
Power Struggle: AJ Styles v. Yoshitatsu (though we don't need to see the botched Styles Clash if no one wants to)
IWGP Intercontinental Title - Power Struggle: Shinsuke Nakamura (c) v. Katsuyori Shibata

That pretty much covers our three main matches, no?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:31 pm

Botched Styles Clash aside, that match with Yoshihashi was just boring. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:25 pm

Only reason it's that relevant though is for the Naito/Styles stare down.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:38 pm

Tonight is the night!

Predictions:

1. Yuji Nagata wins the battle royal.

2. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Tag Titles: Young Bucks def. ReDragon, Time Splitters, Forever Hooligans

3. 6 Man Tag: Bullet Club (Jeff Jarrett, Bad Luck Fale, Yujiro Takahashi) def. Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima, Tomoaki Honma

4. 8 Man Tag: Mikey Nicholls, Toru Yano, Shane Haste, Naomichi Marufuji def. Suzukigun (Shelton X Benjamin, Davey Boy Smith Jr., Lance Archer, Takashi Iizuka)

5. KO or Submissions Only: Kazushi Sakuraba def. Minoru Suzuki

6. NEVER Openweight Title: Tomohiro Ishii def. Togi Makabe

7. IWGP Jr. Heavyweight Title: Ryusuke Taguchi def. Kenny Omega

8. IWGP Tag Team Title: Meiyu Tag (Hirooki Goto, Katsuyori Shibata) def. Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows)

9. Tetsuya Naito def. AJ Styles

10. IWGP Intercontinental Title: Kota Ibushi def. Shinsuke Nakamura

11. IWGP World Title: Kazuchika Okada def. Hiroshi Tanahashi

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:37 am

Mother fucking hell were those two main events gross.

Nakamura and Ibushi are simply NOT nice people to each other, and watching Tanahashi and Okada fight with every ounce of their souls to decide who is the God amongst Aces is just sublime. Just...I'm done. Completely spent

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:29 pm

Might as well shut down the MOTY discussion. Nakamura/Ibushi was fucking ridiculous.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 12:42 pm

The only real negative on the show though was Ryusuke Taguchi vs. Kenny Omega. That really sucked I felt. Seeing a lot of people like Omega so they just think the match was good. Just not sure what about it was even good in the slightest? Maybe someone here disagrees with me?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Jan 04, 2015 4:31 pm

Red_And_Yellow wrote:Might as well shut down the MOTY discussion. Nakamura/Ibushi was fucking ridiculous.
That was a fantastic match. A star-making effort from Ibushi, and would be the match of many years.

That match was rendered completely irrelevant, as if it never happened, within an hour

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:16 pm

Tanahashi & Okada together is impossibly good. There simply HAS to be witchcraft involved.

Oh, and I thought the opening 4-way was a pretty boring affair, too. I was sitting here actually wishing it was MORE of a spotfest, because at least then they'd be doing stuff.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 5:25 pm

I'll replay both matches again later for sure. But imo, Nakamura/Ibushi > Tanahashi/Okada from a match quality perspective.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:04 pm

It is nice to see the reactions around the internet though. It's fun when people who watch wrestling actually like it. Wrestling could use much more of that

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:48 pm

I like NJPW as an alternative to the WWE. A lot of new viewers last night now believe that this is what wrestling is and should be. It's a different art form than US wrestling, as the same applies in Mexico and Europe. It's like going to a movie, there's many different kinds of movies out there, you can enjoy them all equally for what they are, but that's not really how wrestling fans operate.

Though, to be fair, there's not a lot to like about the WWE and US wrestling in general. NJPW is doing very well. Kind of disappointed the G1 Final isn't in the Seibu Dome again because I felt it brought a real big match feel to Nakamura/Okada last year.

I'm also not as high on the show as a lot of other people. It was fine with great main events, but it wasn't as good as it could be. Best three matches were Suzuki/Sakuraba, Nakamura/Ibushi and Okada/Tanahashi imo. Naito/Styles didn't fully recreate the magic from Day 4 of this past G1.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:45 am

Greg_McNeish wrote:Tanahashi & Okada together is impossibly good. There simply HAS to be witchcraft involved.

Oh, and I thought the opening 4-way was a pretty boring affair, too. I was sitting here actually wishing it was MORE of a spotfest, because at least then they'd be doing stuff.
I wouldn't have disliked Omega/Taguchi if the first 10+ minutes of the match weren't rendered completely irrelevant.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jan 05, 2015 12:14 pm

I'm hearing overwhelming praise amongst those in the wrestling community (both those deep within and on the fringe) that checked out the show. The major difference I spot between them and yourself Red and GReg and Goober is that to them, for the most part, this is very new, novel and shiny. To you guys this is yet another show in what has been an unfolding series for you three. Compared to what THEY'VE been watching, (WWE, RoH, indies they're involved with and TNA) New Japan is a whole different ball game. Whereas you three would hold it to the standards of every other New Japan thing you've watched. So I can see why you would be more critical of it than anyone else watching the show that's not a regular viewer of New Japan or a first time viewer.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!