Dynamite Kid

Discuss wrestling happening everywhere that isn't WWE or TNA.
Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Dynamite Kid

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:00 pm

I'm sure most of the people on these forums know Hunter Golden's opinions on the Dynamite Kid. Now, I'm going to post a match between him and Tiger Mask on here. It's from August 5th, 1982, posted on Youtube, the quality isn't perfect. However, it's the best I could find, and I'll give my opinions underneath the match. If you find any other Dynamite Kid matches, put them on here. I feel this is a good place for us to intellectually discuss Dynamite's matches.

I have been watching wrestling for about 18 years, and this is easily one of the worst matches I have ever seen. This really does remind me of a modern day Indy match, where it's just mindless mat work, no structure, and just doing moves, for the sake of doing moves.

I'm literally sitting here trying to think of a positive for the match. I can't think of one, watching this I have a problem determining who is the face, and who is the heel? What is the conflict between these two? It looks thrown together, and you could just tell they would have shaken hands after this match if it was in the 2000's.

This isn't even average, this is actively bad, and I struggle to see what Meltzer saw in these matches.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Re: Dynamite Kid

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:37 pm

Here is another Dynamite Kid vs Tiger Mask match. This one is broken up into two parts, and took place on April 23rd, 1981.

PART 1:

PART 2:

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:50 pm

I feel this match is better than the first one I put on here. Less time, and although the finish came out of nowhere, at least there was a story in the match (Dynamite Kid trying to reveal who Tiger Mask is). I still wouldn't give this anything more than 2 - 3 stars though.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:20 pm

That first match (which is actually later in the series, chronologically) was complete fucking garbage. It was almost like both of them were trying to work as tweeners, and it just didn't work. Both guys looked like shit, coming out of it, and I'd frankly rather not talk about it, and just forget I wasted 17 minutes of my life.

As for the second match you posted, it was definitely a lot better. Dynamite at least defined himself as a heel early on, through stalling tactics, as well as some moderate cheating. Of course, then they went into some token COUNTERZ~ bullshit, which is almost always pretty lame. I do feel like they at least got across the notion that as good as Dynamite is (kayfabe), he's not as good as Tiger Mask, so he's not going to be able to beat him in a fair fight. So, like any good heel, Dynamite doesn't give him a fair fight, and instead goes for the mask.

The mask-work was a good idea, but it went on a tad too long. Really, the drama was between Dynamite and the ref, who actually looked like he was going to pop Tommy boy in the face, if he kept doing it. Tiger Mask trying to be a badass, before they called for a truce was pretty f'n lame. On the bright side, this marked the transition into a decent little finishing run. Dynamite did some fun smarmy stuff, to try to steal a victory, and things looked good. Tiger Mask, being the babyface, had more fight in him, and was able to pick up the victory with a bringing German suplex. A shitty start to the match, but a decent home stretch.

Wait!!! They're playing off that Dynamite didn't have his shoulders down??? But he's the heel! You don't protect the heel!! Fuck! Well, you can't fault the wrestlers for weird booking.

Anyway, what I learned from these matches is that Tiger Mask is f'n atrocious. He completely destroyed everything Dynamite was doing, just blowing shit off. He spent maybe 2% of the time selling anything. I'd like to see some Dynamite stuff with someone else, to see what he can do with someone that doesn't suck.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue Dec 21, 2010 6:04 pm

Here's another Dynamite Kid match, this time with Stan Hansen.

I enjoyed this match to an extent. The chair shot seemed needless though, and Dynamite did botch his diving head butt. However, I wouldn't say this is a bad match. At least in this formula, Dynamite looks fairly comfortable playing the baby face in peril. Although he isn't emoting very well, his selling was fine, and I thought Hansen's power offense brought the best out of Dynamite.

I haven't seen too much of Stan Hansen, but from what I have seen from my first few viewings of Dynamite is this:

A match under ten minutes really fits Dynamite well. Anything longer and he seems to get progressively worse as the match goes on. I doubt it's a cardiovascular issue, judging by his physique anyway. However, something about longer matches brings out his worst. Hoping to find more.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

towney007
Site Admin

Post by towney007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:15 am

The thing about Dynamite - at least from my standpoint - isn't so much that he's bad as much as he's just 'there'. I mean sure, he looks like he puts a lot of oomph behind his strikes which is good, but it's more of a sylistic thing in Stampede than anything. Bret's the same way. Benoit's the same way. Owen and Bad News Allen are the same way.

His mat works LOOKS good, but nothing really fits anything else. I mean he's really your classic kind of magic bucket guy with better strikes. It looks good, but once you get past that outer layer, it ain't so hot.

It's easy to see why Meltzer and a lot of the IWC love this guy though. I mean let's be honest here, there's a certain degree of accessibility to certain wretlers that doesn't exist with others. I mean f---. If I was trying to get people into Japan, Akira Taue is one of the last guys I'd use. I mean I LOVE Taue, but he's not a guy who's easy on the eyes for American fans. He's gawky, goofy looking and moves awkward, but man, the guy can structure a match. But to someone watching him in 2011 who hasn't seen a lot of him, he's difficult to appreciate. I use Bob Roop as another guy who's from the 80s, works a really slow style, but is awesome. But just not a guy who you could easily picture wrestling today.

I mean I could see Dynamite in a WWE ring right now. Same thing with the indies really. He's easy and wrestles a pace and style that's really familiar to today's fan. So of course they're going to eat him up because he's a really accessible guy to watch.

But I don't hate the guy, but he's nowhere near the influential/incredible/insane talent he's put over as. I've seen enough of him to know it's not a few off nights, but it's pretty consistent. Put him in the context of what's happening around him and he really starts looking like a middling guy.

towney007
Site Admin

Post by towney007 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:20 am

A match under ten minutes really fits Dynamite well. Anything longer and he seems to get progressively worse as the match goes on. I doubt it's a cardiovascular issue, judging by his physique anyway. However, something about longer matches brings out his worst. Hoping to find more.
This is an interesting point you make because I've said the same exact thing about most juniors wrestlers in general, especially the juniors today. I mean heck - take KENTA for example. You confine him to under 15 minutes and you usually get good results. But you stick him in there with a guy like Nakajima for 45 minutes and it's just train wreck levels of unwatchable.

Even in New Japan in the 90s, I've found that juniors matches are significantly better the shorter they are. 10-15 minutes is often that cap.