Wrestling Schools

Discuss wrestling happening everywhere that isn't WWE or TNA.
whitetrashwonder
Curtain Jerker

Re: Wrestling Schools

Post by whitetrashwonder » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:21 am

ThePolishPower wrote:
Ravel wrote:
ThePolishPower wrote:in Florida
does anyone know of any outside the Funking Conservatory?
Try checking their websites, and WHO actually trains there. Sometimes, guys like Team 3d, own the school, but do not actually teach full time. Also take in consideration, the money you have to spend, as well as the time, as not every school is worth the money. Try checking them out in person, one by one to see what each has to offer before deciding for one. Take in consideration, youll need alot of free time, not only to train, but to keep your day job, as well as go to the gymn and invest in your image.

Also, my best advice. Try developing a gimmick that works, and its different than the usual. Being original, is appealing, and makes you stand out and being picked for bookings.
that's the problem
the more I think about it, the more it seems like every gimmick has already been done
aside from being a generic Evil Foreigner or being another Gorgeous George rip-off, I'm bland

also, from what little experience I have (backyard), my "finishers" were a Cobra Clutch and/or a Lariat
not exactly the most stellar performance
dude im a nindy worker in florida and the gulf coast area. you dont need a 3000 dollar school. dont get me wrong it helps but i pretty much was taught how to bump and was told to just go with it. you just have to study and spend incredible amounts of time on everything. in the ring on your music on your gear on the way you present yourself. the gimmick comes as you wokr. i started with a carttony gimmick because its easier to stick out to the fans. i did the whole royalty gimmick and decided to go with my real name and did a play off my name to make my gimmick kind of like ravel said. my names rex andrews so i came out with Rex Appeal

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Wrestling Schools

Post by El Canuck » Fri May 27, 2011 12:52 pm

Well, before you start worrying about gimmicks and gear, worry about being able to actually wrestle. That's my first piece of advice. If you can't do the basics or even work out properly, then it doesn't matter what gimmick you come up with.

Second, get proper training, most schools, if they hold their reputation in high enough regard will allow interested prospects a chance to observe a class before commiting their money, so take advantage of that, see how they train, how often they train and who's doing the training. Don't be discouraged because their regimine seems to hard, that's how the best students are molded, that's how they see who can stand with the big boys and who can't cut it.

Third, one person mentioned striking, I was a whole month or so in training before I learned a single strike, and the first one I learned was the forearm smash, not even a punch, that never came until near the end, because they're difficult to do without stiffing the fuck out of your opponent. Punches take timing and proper placement. The most important aspect of wrestling, is wrestling, more specifically, chain wrestling. Chain is the fundamental basics of wrestling that helps close the gap between real wrestling and what we do. Most matches start with a collar and elbow tie up and transition from hold to hold usually, but not always, the strikes don't start until the heel is ready to end the shine and go for the heat. (The shine being the first part of the match where usually the face builds himself up, the heat is when the heel gets to build himself up by using heelish tactics to foil the shine.) While strikes are important, this is wrestling, not MMA.

Fourth, Psychology, Psychology, Psychology. If a school just teaches you move after move after move and doesn't take the time to show you how to string together those moves in proper sequence, how to tranisition, when to apply certain holds, the proper set up of a match, then they aint worth a damn. The first "school" and I use that term loosely because all it boiled down to was an indy fed that trained a few people an hour before shows, once a month, did only that, and another promotion that one of my closest friends attended years before me just taught him to back bump and take a clothesline, then threw him in a ring two shows later. He now has bone chips in his elbow and can't extend it properly, had he been trained properly this would be a different conversation.

Fifth, to dispel what one person said earlier, you don't need more than one school to teach you how to wrestle. As far as styles go, most schools can teach you what you need to know for any style, if they can't, they aint worth your money. As far as wrestlers listing more than one trainer, in most cases it's because more than one wrestler taught at their school, or after their initial training and they got on the indy scene, another, more experienced wrestler may have passed on their knowledge to them to help them better themselves. Or, in the case of a lot of WWE's home grown talent, after their basic training and a few years on the indy scene they were brought in to development, where in recent past meant spending time at the Funkin' Conservatory, OVW, DSW and nowadays, FCW learning from the trainers at those respective schools.

Finally, don't come looking for wrestling school advice on a wrestling forum, 99% of what's here never stepped in a ring in their life unless it was in a back yard, which doesn't count for crap. Before you all start flaming me, stop for a second and take a look at yourselves and answer these two questions. a) Have I ever trained to be a pro wrestler in a legitimate capacity? b) Have I ever been involved with a legitimate independant promotion or wrestling school where I saw people getting trained first hand? If you answer no to any of those questions then you have no business telling anyone how they should go about getting training or breaking into the business.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!