Idiocracy

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
eobversion1

Re: Idiocracy

Post by eobversion1 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:30 am

I saw this last week and I still can't believe it. Stunning. The doublespeak coming out of the Trump administration is something else.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon May 29, 2017 2:33 pm

On the one hand: President Trump finally condemned the Oregon attacks. On the other hand: He did not use the word terror, and it came from the official POTUS twitter account, which I'm not completely sure is the one he actually tweets on.

As of 2:20pm: Fox News does not have the Oregon terror attack on it's webpage. Nor do they have anything on the ongoing investigations that are swallowing Jared Kushner into them, nor do they have anything on Angela Merkel's scathing commentary.
By contrast, CNN does not have North Korea's missile testing, which is highly plastered on Fox News' page.
NBC News is the most balanced of these three, having at least one story on every one of those stories. MSNBC, however is very focused on the Kushner portion of the Russia investigations, with it's focus being political news more than the full spectrum, of course.

So, that's where your web traffic stands for today. It's actually been kind of interesting seeing what each network's webpages dedicate their resources to

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon May 29, 2017 3:10 pm

That's an interesting mixture indeed.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Mon May 29, 2017 4:36 pm

GooberBM wrote:
Mon May 29, 2017 2:33 pm
As of 2:20pm: Fox News does not . . . anything on Angela Merkel's scathing commentary. . . . It's actually been kind of interesting seeing what each network's webpages dedicate their resources to
I agree it is interesting. I often compare several sites when catching up on the news. Bing and Google news are good for this because they often give several sources for each headline story.
Fox News had the Merkel story headline on Sunday. Monday it was at the bottom of the page.

For TV news, I usually catch CBS News. Sorta by default, I prefer the local news show on our CBS affiliate station; they seem to have the most accurate weather predictions. I've gotten a bit tired of the 24 hour news channels; I just wanna hear the news itself, not continuous opinions of the news.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:51 pm

That's probably the right attitude to have Mafwanix. I find sources that are too partisan often only exist as ideological comfort food. Which is why I really only take seriously sources that don't rely on a constant churn of information or have serious reporters and journalists on staff. Outlets that report stories with multiple sources and have professional editors working on them. Pretty much WSJ, Reuters, AP, WaPo and NYTimes.

Big election over here on this side of the pond. Everyone myself included counted Jeremy Corbyn out a few weeks ago but now he's nipping at Teresa May's heels. Partly by running an actual campaign while May runs and hides putting her face in front of the camera and mumbling about more of the same. I've liked Corbyn but was highly sceptical of his abilities as a leader but over the past few weeks, he's gotten his act together in a big way. Tonight it looks like he's gotten the better of her in a series of one on one interviews. I will say this if elected he will have to sort out his cabinet in a big way. His number two is a joke.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon May 29, 2017 5:42 pm

PBS is another good source to tune into for news for bigger or more national stories, IMO.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed May 31, 2017 7:43 am

Jeremy Corbyn expected to compete in tonight's leaders debate, a debate Theresa May is too afraid to attend. As JR would say business is about to pick up.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:28 am

They did an audience Q&A session on Monday. Theresa May got literally laughed at by the audience at one point. She was asked about figures for her budget. She didn't answer, whilst simultaneously accusing Labour of their figures not being accurate, despite it being laid out in the Labour manifesto and that her own manifesto had been rewritten

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 62301.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mN_zZqlQts

Then they were interviewed by a called Jeremy Paxman, a well regarded, hard nosed interviewer. He made a dick of himself this night, with a clear bias against Corbyn, Frequent interruptions and trying to pressure him into answering complicated questions with a yes or no. For example, he asked Corbyn how we can expect him to get what he wants for Britain when he couldn't get his own values in the Labour manifesto, and pointed out Corbyn's desire to do away with the Monarchy's legal power (or something similar). Corbyn very calmly (despite the frequent interruptions) got out that he isn't a dictator and that the labour manifesto was assembled by lots of group effort and interactions with hundreds of social groups. May was treated with much more respect and even then she fumbled and bumbled quite a lot. A lot of people don't like Corbyn, but the overwhelming consensus is that he came out of Monday night blooming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KllymYee9AI

Each week the opinion polls show the Tory lead getting smaller and smaller. Arrogance is what brought about this general election and it might backfire spectacularly. Looks like the public learnt their lesson from Brexit (and perhaps Donald Trump indirectly helped).
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed May 31, 2017 8:33 am

A hung parliament for an election they thought they'd walk would be ultra satisfying.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Wed May 31, 2017 3:46 pm

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:02 pm

I just shed literal tears laughing at that
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed May 31, 2017 5:38 pm

It's official Labour are right there in it. Counted out when the election was called but now.....right there in it.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Wed May 31, 2017 5:50 pm

It'd be funny if he were the President and so damn unstable.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:51 pm

Fuck Trump and the Russian chariot he rode in on.

https://twitter.com/BBCBreaking/status/ ... 0429152256

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:40 pm

Rick Santorum is in constant fear that the sun god will not travel across the sky tomorrow.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:17 pm

Even North Korea signed up to the Paris Climate Agreement. Even North Korea.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Jun 01, 2017 4:33 pm

Yeah, apparently The US, Nicaragua, and Syria are the only countries that aren't taking part. Nicaragua wanted the agreement to be mandatory across the world, and Syria is not a really country at the moment.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wor ... 873f3034b3

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:50 pm

Isolationism. It didn't work in the 19th or 20th centuries, but dammit this time it's going to work!

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:25 pm

While Trump's pulling from the Paris climate deal is baffling and ludicrous, watching the Santorum clip should show you why this won't matter to the Republican base: they believe in bullshit like wind and the energy of the fucking sun not being reliable. Yeah sure, I guess the sun will die out in a few billion years, but between then and now, I think it's a pretty reliable bet. His solution? Fucking fracking?! The most environmentally damaging source of practical energy known to humankind. There was a comedian years back, I'm leaning towards Lewis Black on this one, could be wrong, it might also be George Carlin, who said that politicians should wear their sponsors on their suits like NASCAR drivers and I agree. I mean, it would save viewers time and it would save Santorum the effort to have to utter his nonsense. It's not like having all those oil company logos all over his coat would make him look any more ridiculous than he's already making himself look by saying that solar and wind power are not reliable and that fracking is the solution. I mean, because it's either an act or he's an absolute blithering idiot and if it's the former, why bother with the shtick?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:40 am

What a clusterfuck. A total abdication of American leadership. That decision put America below third world status in it's commitment to tackling climate change. Nicaragua abstained because it though Paris didn't go far enough and Syria and that isn't even a country right now.

This is laughable.

https://twitter.com/FoxNews/status/870615261409189888

For some reason? For some reason? That's like tying concrete blocks to your legs, jumping in the deepest river you can find and then thinking to yourself "oh, I'm drowning for some reason".