The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:05 am

Ten minutes of the Witcher 3. Holy shit those graphics. What an enormous upgrade from 2 to 3
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:08 am

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jun 09, 2017 5:58 pm

The graphics in Witcher 3 are just flat out gorgeous. It's a real treat for the eyes.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:15 pm

Seriously considering buying a 1440p capable monitor since I've got the specs to support it. I'm expecting to sink a couple of hundred hours into this which will take me a few months and then there's all the future game releases for PC that I'll eventually end up with.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 3:08 pm

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:43 am

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:58 am

Realised I haven't actually talked about the game yet. My first initial thoughts are highly positive. The combat is very familiar to the Witcher 2, but with subtle alterations. The introduction of a dodge mechanic was jarring at first. In TW2 you would avoid attacks by rolling out of the way. The roll mechanic still exists, but dodging allows you to maintain a close proximity to the opponent as well as being able to attack the back for bonus damage if you dodge in the correct position. Not only that, but it looks so damn smooth. Something so simple adds to the mystique of Geralt as being a master combatant with hyper reflexes.

The magical system is almost identical to TW2, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. I've found that I'm more varied with the spells I use because of how varied the combat is now. I no longer spam fire attacks over and over and I no longer ignore two of the five abilities. One ability that I ignored for two games was Quen, a damage absorption barrier. When active, it will fully absorb the damage of a damaging blow no matter how much damage is received. I found this to be a literal life saver during a very difficult boss battle. Another spell (I've forgotten the name from lack of overall use) will place a large circle of runes onto the ground. Different enemies react in different ways to entering the circle. Some are slowed down, some take massively increased damage, some are stunned entirely. When attacked by multiple opponents, this helps far more than single target spells.

The actual fighting mechanics are much more intense. Monsters are relentless, bosses hit like trucks and have tricky mechanics and humans are smart. This intensity always keeps me on my toes, no matter how much I progress with gear and upgraded talents. There will never be a point that a monster can be ignored. Sure, I can kill it in a blow or two when ten levels ago I couldn't, but it is just as deadly to me now as it was then. Add in a pack of them at once and carelessness will get me killed. Being faced by swarms of opponents at once forces me to think fast and use my reflexes. In TW1+2 I grew tired of combat and avoided enemies wherever possible towards the end. I've yet to come close to boredom with fighting, although I won't stop to fight things if I'm on my horse heading to a quest.

The transition to open world is a great one. The amount of content available is staggering and the freedom to go where I want when I please is great. One of the simplest additions is also one of the best - a gps like navigation system for questing. It will guide you amongst the best path. This would have saved me several hours of time in TW1+2 and I'm so happy with the implementation. There is a large variety of secondary quests as well as locations to explore. The map is covered in question marks (which in turn only appear from your own efforts into finding texts and noticeboards) all of which can be approached at your own pace. The secondary quests themselves are extremely interesting. A lot of attention has gone into them and the variety is huge. From following the events of a new character introduced early in TW3 after his role in the main story had ended, to a village that cursed itself into becoming sentient pigs (seriously) by stealing treasure that had been hidden away in a nearby tomb. I also know I've only scratched the surface of content too. I've put about 15 hours in so far and I feel as if I've done nothing at all when I look at everything that is still available to do. One of the things that blew my mind is that as enormous as the map I'm playing on is, it's just one sector out of several. I've yet to go to these other sectors, but the fact they even exist is crazy. The map of the sector I am in right now is as large as the entirety of other open world games.

I really don't have anything to criticise just yet. Perhaps the rather sudden introduction of a massively important story character and the subsequent departure. It was literally hi and bye within two minutes. Even that is a relatively minor gripe. The music is some of the best I've ever heard. The visuals are stunning. I care about the characters, old and new. The voice acting makes me feel as if I've stepped straight into a real village in Yorkshire. The inventory is a breeze to navigate through (one of my gripes with TW2). The alchemy system is deep as ever. I also actively use my oils and potions now, as opposed to rarely ever in the previous games.

And this is only the beginning of my experience.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:21 am

Cool little thing. I was in combat against a bunch of humans. They had an archer a few feet away from where I was. He aimed a shot when I was fighting other dudes in melee range. I dodged backwards and a bandit moved into the spot I had been occupying and promptly ended up with a bolt in the back, complete with fantastic animation, which killed him. I would have applauded the sequence if I wasn't still busy fighting the other dudes.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:19 pm

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:14 pm

Took me over two hours, but I finally managed to pick up Doom during the Steam Summer sale. Using the same steam trading card sales thing I mentioned a few months ago with Deus Ex, I managed to pay a total of £2.02 of my own money for the game. Hooray

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:50 pm

Also picked up This War of Mine, Rocket Knight (incorrectly assumed it to be related to Shovel Knight), VVVVVV and Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate.