The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: The AndyF1069 Video Game Thread

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:22 am

Finally finished the story, only took me three attempts over 4 years to do so. Normally I feel a bit of relief when I make it to the end of an extra long game, but in this case I felt a bit of sadness that it was ending. Unfortunately unlike the previous games, there is no extra bonus content to take part in once the game finishes. All the side missions are done, all the readily available challenges completed. The completionist in me might return to do all of the collection challenges (with the help of google) but I think it'll be a long time before I return, but I will return.

What an experience this game was.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:29 am

Finished SUPERHOT. Not much to add to my previous thoughts other than that there was more to the narrative than initially met the eye. I enjoyed the game enough to try to get through the challenges and the endless mode afterwards, something I ordinarily wouldn't do due to wanting to get through my backlog of games. There is a lot of content here including a variety of endless maps and a wide choice of challenges. Throw in achievements and there is a lot of gameplay that can be squeezed out of the game. I still think that the current price isn't justified though. There is a decent amount of content, but nothing which other, cheaper games can't also say. The unique gameplay isn't enough to justify the expenditure.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:05 am

The Tomb Raider franchise reboot of 2013 is often used as a performance benchmark for what graphics cards are capable of. Add in that I thoroughly enjoyed the e3 presentation and I went ahead and made it my next game of choice.

Watching that video back, I can see some subtle changes (especially as I did that sequence fairly recently myself). Nothing major, just some enemy interactions that no longer happen, different animations and a weapon acquired earlier than normal. Besides that, the graphical overhaul from ps3/xbox 360 to PC is enormous.

On the topic of graphics, one thing that stands out that in the big scheme of things is really unimportant, is Lara's hair. There is a specific feature called TressFX hair that is optional. Her hair looks so damn realistic, as if she has just gotten out of a shower, dried and brushed her hair. It's so smooth and shiny.

The gameplay itself is a joy. A full on action adventure game that is high on action, high on adventure and high in quality. High intensity set pieces are frequent and a ton of fun to experience, yet not so frequent as to be overwhelming. The balance between action and catching your breath is well done. There are a couple of nuisances here and there. Bullets can often hit invisible extensions of scenery, despite the cursor turning red to indicate that an enemy is within your sights. Shooting an arrow at a limb poking out behind a wall, but having the "wall" stop the arrow is a minor annoyance. There are bullets literally everywhere, so there isn't much tactical decisions to be made. You either go in silent with a bow, use a rifle to pick off enemies at a distance or use a shotgun when high impact damage is required. I also feel that the weapon upgrade system isn't really impactful. You can increase your damage, increase firing rate and increase maximum capacity. It's not very exciting. The ability unlocks are hit or miss.

The world is beautiful. The lighting is beautiful. The music is fucking beautiful, especially the orchestral tracks. The story is genuinely intriguing rather than eye rolling. The voice acting is hit or miss, including Lara herself. Sometimes she is great, sometimes she is stiff.

One concern is that the game is giving me the impression that it is going to be too short. I'd guess I've put in between 6-8 hours so far. I don't know for certain since I've played a couple of hours when I got the game last year so my steam time is distorted. Perhaps I've played longer and don't realise it. I'd guess I'm about 75-80% of the way through the story, unless there is an unexpected twist to prolong things. There is a moderate amount of incentive to go back to old areas. Secret explorable tombs which each have unique puzzles, as well as hidden collectables which will display on your map once you defeat later areas. The collectables offer no gameplay rewards, but do tell you stories of the area you are in and the characters around you which adds to the overall story. The collectables are fairly easy to locate once they are shown on the map, but easy to miss otherwise due to size. The ease of finding them with knowledge is a decent incentive to actually bother to do so, one that I like. I wouldn't be surprised if I end up finding everything after I finish the game. I genuinely care about the story, I'm a sucker for achievements and I've always been a bit of a completionist when properly motivated. I'm likely to finish the story before the end of the day.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:21 am

The game lasted a little longer than I expected, but some of the final puzzle elements were kind of tedious. Obvious once you work them out, but frustrating until then. Another minor gripe is how once the enemies are alerted, they know where you are at all times no matter what. Shot a dude in the face from far away and he had a companion nearby? Now the whole base knows where you are and will always come to where you are. There is no hiding and waiting.

All in all though, it was a very well made game. The complaints are really minor. There are things that can be improved upon, but those improvements don't turn mediocre into good, they turn fantastic into incredible. I'm satisfied with the ending to the story. Initially I had no reason to care about the multitude of characters who are lumped together with no introduction, but they each developed in their own ways and I had reasons to care by the end. I've never played any of the original games for more than a handful of hours. Ironically it was the original Tomb Raider in the 90s that gave me a fear of wild animals in games when I was faced with (for the time) realistic tigers and wolves. That fear faded eventually but I still have a little bit of stigma whenever I get faced with aggressive animals in games. Some of the very first enemies in this reboot were wolves and I had a huge sense of deja vu. As far as I know, the original series of games doens't tell you the backstory of who Lara Croft is and how she grew into the badass that she was. This reboot does a fantastic job of that. There is a model viewer available at the end and Lara has three models. "Innocent Lara", "Survivor Lara" and "Lara Croft". Each shift shows her demeanour change, in addition to adding various wounds and injuries.

There isn't really much I can add about the gameplay that wasn't in my last post. The game was disappointingly short, which is bittersweet because of how fun it was. I eagerly await the time that the sequel Rise of the Tomb Raider is cheap enough for me to pick it up.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:27 am

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:05 pm

I found myself in a bit of a pickle after I finished Tomb Raider. I have so many games that I'd like to play, yet none are jumping out as "the" one that is must play. I ended up going with Mad Max. I've never seen any of the movies and I have next to no knowledge of anything to do with story. There are certain elements of the game story that I don't understand which is entirely my own fault. I'm in a seemingly post apocalyptic world, but I don't know why or if that's right. Max is the only seemingly "normal" person. I don't know why. I don't know what year it is. There are lots of collectables in the world, such as old photos. One photo is of a bike, with the person who owned the photo writing "What the hell is this thing?". There are cars everywhere, but they don't know what a bike is? That makes it seem like it must be hundreds of years into the future, but there's no way for me to know. One of the main characters is a Gollum like hunchback, but I haven't seen any others like him. I don't know if he is a game exclusive creation or if things like him exist in the movies. He doesn't seem to fit into the world. That said, he is extremely well portrayed and voice acted.

Played about ten hours over the last week and the best way for me to describe the game is "Open World Game: The Open World Game". Every single aspect of open world games can be found here, it's a bit overwhelming. It isn't all mindless busy work either (although there is a fair amount of that). I almost didn't make it that far though, the control scheme is quite jarring. It doesn't play like a typical third person game does. There is only one gun (thus far?) and you can't move whilst aiming on foot. The front shoulder button is used to aim, rather than the back button and Circle/B is used to fire, rather than another shoulder button. I eventually worked out the reason for this is so that you can drive (with the back shoulder buttons) and aim simultaneously. You have to hold down the action button to perform actions in the world such as looting or interactions. A minor annoyance, but I also worked out that this is so that there is a chance for enemies to interrupt your actions. Ammo is quite rare in this world. Being able to instantly loot a defeated enemy for a precious shotgun cartridge would be way too advantageous. I still occasionally make instinctual button pushes, such as circle/b to reload (force of habit) and end up quick firing my only cartridge.

The world itself is kind of bland. It looks as nice as any modern game looks, but it isn't special. Part of that is the fault of the setting. You're in the middle of a desert, there's only so much you can do with that. The only thing that has made me go "wow" so far was a randomly occurring sandstorm. The storm is quite dangerous, with high velocity winds which can knock things backwards, including humans. The sound effects were the biggest part of the immersion, especially with my surround sound headphones. I've tried to think of a descriptive way to describe it, but I keep coming back to the sole word of violent. There isn't much else worth commenting on. I take screenshots of things which I think are beautiful, I haven't taken any screenshots whilst playing Mad Max.

There are two open world aspects that I really enjoy. Throughout the world there are enemy bases that can be attacked at any time. If you finish the objective of each base (Kill all the enemies destroy x amount of structures, defeat a boss, etc) then you earn the base for yourself, which unlocks periodic shipments of the game currency (more on this later). The currency is extremely important to player power and thus I have huge incentive to hunt down these bases. The other thing I like are convoy routes. You find a route simply by driving and coming across a path of road that is different to the regular road. You follow the route and eventually find the convoy, a big daddy vehicle guarded by regular vehicles. One thing I've neglected to mention is the importance of car combat. You have three weapons to use when driving - Your shotgun, a harpoon and a rocket launcher. The harpoon has unlimited charges, but has a reload time. Rockets are extremely rare. Specific parts of cars can be targeted, such as tires, doors and any attachments such as spikes or armour plating. The harpoon can pull these off (if upgraded high enough). This is where driving and aiming come into play, the awkward controls mentioned earlier. There is a lot of tactical elements in play. Tires are easier to aim for because there are four of them, but have the lowest impact. Destroying a door will let you aim at the driver to shoot or pull out with the harpoon, but requires you to drive parallel to the car which often ends up with you going off road, which leaves you vulnerable to the environment and makes it harder to keep control when you shift from road to sand. Cars have "hp" and you can lower this by crashing into cars, but your own car also has hp which only regenerates when you are completely still so that the hunchback who always tags as a passenger can repair it (a really cool touch). So all of that in mind with regards to convoys. The goal is to completely destroy the main vehicle, but there are other vehicles guarding it. Can you get close enough to the main car to take out 2 or more tires? Not so easy when the other cars are crashing into you. Will you try to take out the individual guard cars? You can, but you risk crashing and losing a lot of distance on the main car. All the while your own car hp is being depleted. At 0 you are forced to exit your car before it explodes, which automatically triggers the hunchback to repair the car. This takes time, at least 30 seconds. It's a great challenge and really fun.

As mentioned earlier, the reason to chase down these optional things would be the game currency of scrap. Scrap is needed for all of your character and vehicle upgrades. The character upgrades aren't so special, with the exception of unlocked abilities. The vehicle upgrades are immense. There are 16 different categories, each with multiple unlocks. Tires? Suspension? Nitrous boosts? Weapon upgrades? Armor platings? Spiked platings? You have so many choices and so little scrap. It's hard to choose between which improvement to make, which is a good problem to have.

One bad problem to have is that there is so much open world stuff that the story suffers. The story is pretty bland thus far and has consisted of go to this place, do this for this person, go to the next place, repeat. There is a purpose behind everything, but the characters are forgettable with the exception of the (somewhat psychotic) hunchback companion. Perhaps the story will get more exciting as I get closer to the end, but if I keep focusing on all of the optional content then I likely won't get to the end anytime soon. I suppose that's a good thing, there is content and I am enjoying it, even it is as the expense of an uncompelling story.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm a bit overwhelmed with all of the content, but in a good way. I feel I had done a fair amount of the activities in the world, but it turns out I'm only 29% complete with the game. I'm enjoying the gameplay variety and I'm enjoying the challenge as the events get harder and harder. Upgrades feeling meaningful and produce noticeable changes to combat which make me eager to keep playing to keep unlocking more upgrades. This is an absolute bargain for the price I paid.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm

Put in about 40 hours into the game, sitting at about 70% complete and what I believe to be the final story mission left to do. I've really enjoyed the gameplay, the side stuff was nothing but action that gave worthwhile rewards. I've almost maxed out my upgrades and the results are so satisfying. Being able to instantly destroy enemy cars with a single rocket is so pleasing, especially with all the trouble they gave me in earlier levels. Being able to reduce repair speeds to a handful of seconds is such a relief. The inceased visual and audio effects of the maximum shotgun damage rock me with every shot.

The story is still the weakest element of the game though. It isn't until near the end that things get interesting. It's also offset by the character of Max. He makes story decisions and actions that make me dislike him and they also contradict his actions in the world in non scripted events. He's a douche to those who help him and a douche to those who are nice to him, but he helps strangers in the world with precious and valuable water, as well as helping people scavenge supplies? Maybe I would feel differently or understand him better if I had seen the movies. I might just go ahead and have a Mad Max movie day at some point.

The Witcher 3 GOTY edition was on sale on Steam at a 50% discount. I've discussed trading card sales before. In the time since my last purchase (Deus Ex), I've made over £10 from card sales. I ended up paying £7 out of pocket for The Witcher 3 and all of the dlc. I'll sell my PS4 copy and hopefully break even, if not profit on the PC purchase. I'm very interested in getting to compare the graphics from PS4 to PC, as well as experiencing the audio with my surround sound headset.

I'm getting fatigued of Mad Max, so I won't 100% the game. The next time I play it, I'll finish the story. I'll 100% it another time. After that my plan is to play the Witcher 1, 2 and 3 in order. I'm glad I didn't finish the Witcher 3 because now I can experience the full story of the games.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:36 pm

I've been gifted the dlc season pass for Batman Arkham Origins. That'll be my next game once I finish the Witcher series (which I still haven't started).

I finished Mad Max, kind of disappointed with the ending but it could have been so much worse.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu May 11, 2017 10:59 am

World of Warcraft released a new patch a few weeks ago, I've been spending a bit of time playing there. I'm not so sure how interesting it would be to post about my shenanigans on WoW though. Does anybody want to hear about the new achievements that are earned by collecting full sets of raiding gear for each tier of raiding that exists and how you can only do a raid once per week and that loot drops are random and how it could potentially take months or more to complete each individual achievement? (That sentence was intentionally long). Does anybody want to hear about my disinterest with the new map zone they added this patch and how I've resorted to leveling alts from boredom? Does anybody wish to hear about guild drama?

It doesn't seem like the sort of content that would be interesting to an audience that mostly won't understand the subject matter. That said, I haven't been playing much in general. Last few days I've finally picked up the Witcher 1, which was released in 2007. I'm quite surprised at how much of the systems that The Witcher 3 uses that were incorporated into #1 such as the inventory system and map system. I'm having a mixed experience thus far. I'm enjoying the story and the moral ambiguity, but I dislike how much pointless running around that there is. It's utterly dull and takes away from any immersion that ordinarily would be experienced. Another issue is the day and night system. A lot of events can only take place at night or during the day, but the only way to quickly pass the time is through meditation which can only be done through a campfire or through specific npcs (such as innkeepers or friendly quest npcs with their own home). The process of going all the way to an area for a quest, only to discover it's the wrong time cycle and having to go all the way to an npc or campfire and then alllll the way back to the quest area.

The combat is rather interesting, but not very complex. You either pick between a steel sword (humanoids) or a silver sword (beasts and monsters) and choose one of three stances - Slow and hard, fast and quick or cleave. It's an automatic choice for every encounter because the fast enemies can't be hit by the slow attacks and if you have multiple opponents then of course you are going to want to do cleave damage. The magic is what makes the combat interesting. Want to knock opponents off their feet? Downed opponents can be killed instantly. Set them on fire? Enemies on fire take increased damage as well as DoT from the fire itself. Mind control someone to temporarily fight for you? Lure them onto a rune that you placed on the ground that does enormous damage? There's a lot of choice to be made based on the situation.

There are an extremely limited amount of character models in the game and it's quite jarring. To see important quest npcs sharing models with random street merchants is really weird and makes it hard to associate the quest npc with importance. That said, the important npcs have a lot of unique animations, especially the ones at home. It reminds me a lot of the Elder Scrolls games. I have to keep the age of the game in context when considering these things. Oblivion had been out for a year at this point, and Skyrim was many years away.

Not an amazing game, but not bad either. Just hope it doesn't drag out too long, I'm eager to move on to #2 and #3

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:22 pm

AndyF1069 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2017 7:43 pm

The Witcher 3 GOTY edition was on sale on Steam at a 50% discount. I've discussed trading card sales before. In the time since my last purchase (Deus Ex), I've made over £10 from card sales. I ended up paying £7 out of pocket for The Witcher 3 and all of the dlc. I'll sell my PS4 copy and hopefully break even, if not profit on the PC purchase.
Sold the game for £17. Got it free with my ps4. £10 profit. #nicethings

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri May 12, 2017 7:24 pm

The second half of The Witcher 1 is FAR better paced than the first. It's a much more fun experience. I think I'm on the final chapter of the game now. If so, my overall opinion of the game have gone up as a result of this better second half.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:43 pm

Oh, thought I'd posted about the first game finale. I'll do that another time.

Slowly making my way through The Witcher 2. It's a FAR more polished game, to the point it seems almost crazy that it could be THIS much better. It's like if Attack of the Clones was followed by The Empire Strikes back. The combat is a ton more fun and complex, the character models are hugely varied, the game is gorgeous, the story is as deep as ever.

I took this screenshot earlier. This is basically the Witcher version of "you're bad and should feel bad"

https://i.redd.it/2vbgidei2c0z.jpg

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:45 pm

Copy and paste of my Steam review. A lot of it I've already mentioned here

I wanted to experience the story of The Witcher series before diving head first into Witcher 3. I'd played 3 a bit on console so I have an understanding of some of the characters, but besides that, I was going into this blank.

So the first thing that struck me was how shades of grey everything is. There's no clear good and there's no clear evil. It's very refreshing. Another thing is how alive the world is. By modern standards it's nothing impressive, but in 2007 pre Skyrim and with Oblivion only recently being released, I can imagine it would have been quite awe inspiring to see how each npc seems like a "real" person. A high profile bank owner can be caught sweeping his floor one day, reading books the next and walking the streets to head to the pub seemingly at random. The same is true of the majority of npcs, other than those who have fixed locations for quest purposes.

The story itself is mostly good. I was very interested in following it to the conclusion, wishing to know the mystery behind the events of the opening arc, the mystery witcher and the ultimate fate of the sides we interact with. I felt that my choices mattered and this was evident during the final hour of gameplay. If I hadn't made the choices I had, then things would have played out differently.

The gameplay itself is a mixed bag. I felt that combat was too simplistic. You click on a target to initiate combat and then you deal damage by waiting for the cursor icon to change shape. You pick a stance based on the enemy you are facing as well as a weapon. There is very little choice however. You either pick a fast stance for enemies who dodge a lot, or you pick a cleave stance for groups of opponents. A strong stance exists but I found that towards the end it was less hassle to just stay in quick stance. There are five spells to be found throughout the game, but I found that 95% of the time I would only use igni (fire). Perhaps that's my own fault for not fully exploring the other magic trees. Towards the end I found myself uninterested in combat and I would literally just run past things rather than fight.

The talent system is interesting and allows you to tailor your combat experience the way you want it. Crafting bombs and oils for combat is possible, but in my entire play session I never used oil a single time (partly from not knowing which oil was correct for certain opponents) and I literally never crafted a single bomb.

I was surprised at how much content was crammed into each zone, but then I realised how small each zone was. You basically get crammed into a reasonably sized map for each act, but can't go anywhere else. If I hadn't been in a rush to see the story conclude, I probably would have gotten another ten hours out of the game. My playtime says 50h but it's closer to 40 when you factor in being idle. Some of the side quests are pretty interesting, enough that I would follow them to the end rather than ignore them. One big problem I have with the overall main quest is in the middle. There is a ton of running back and forth involved with no clear path to follow. It was dull and frustrating. Some interactions could only take place at during day/night cycles. There's nothing worse than spending five minutes getting to a place, finding out it's the wrong time, then spending ten minutes extra going to a campfire to trigger a time shift and getting back to where you already were. Also be aware that when you move from one act to the next, a lot of quests get cancelled and can't be completed. There are no achievements, but completionists will want to do all side quests before the main quest.

All in all, the flaws don't detract from the overall game. It isn't a masterpiece, but it's very good for what it is. It's well worth playing this game for it's own merits. If you are playing for the whole story then this game is essentially and you won't regret it.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed May 31, 2017 9:10 pm

Tiny detour to a game I picked up called Dungetris. It's a dungeon that you form block by block in the shape of randomly generated tetris shapes. Each block contains random elements (monsters, power ups, health up, traps, etc). You have to make the blocks connect with each other in order to pass between them. Each level has a goal. Kill x amount of monsters, get to a certain height, find an npc (who will spawn at random in your blocks). It's a typical 2d dungeon crawler. You have hp, baseline damage and crit chance. All of which can be raised. The combat is non existent, you click on monsters that are 1sqm away from you and which automatically causes damage in return. You have to hope to survive long enough to complete the goal of the level.

It's quite a fascinating concept. I feel it needs a lot of work. I have more fun trying to build my way as far as I can than I do actually doing quests or fighting things. With some updates I think this could be a pretty rocking game.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:27 pm

Another detour thanks to Steamgifts.com and winning Plague Inc: Evolved. A game in which you take a disease and try to end the world with it. You start off with infecting a single human and try to manipulate the evolution and the projectory of the disease through various means. You can control if it survives in hot or cold climates, if it will be more prone to infecting carriers such as water, air, birds, insects and so on. You can pick the symptoms of the disease and how infectious it is. The more obvious the illness, the more likely that doctors and scientists will begin to try to cure it. You need to adapt it as it travels from country to country, continent to continent. You only have limited points to spend however. There are random elements that can dictate the events of the game, such as weather or natural disasters. The disease will also mutate randomly and uncontrollably, meaning that you might get symptoms you had been hoping to avoid and have to adjust as a result (such as increased lethalness making doctors quicker to notice the illness and report it for a cure).

As the disease spreads, countries will adapt to try to prevent the spread. Isolation, airports closing, ports blocked. Scientists in countries that are well off will be trying to find a cure and those are the countries that will have their doors closed to visitors, so infecting them is a challenge. It took me several attempts to wipe the Earth out, having to adjust my strategy each time.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =938416171

Here is an example of a Country that adapted and screwed me over.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =938430249

Stupid Canada

The reason I say disease and not Plague is because there are different game modes in which you take on a different type of disease (which are unlocked by "winning" with the newly unlocked type". You start off with a basic bacteria. Nothing special, everything is available. The next is a virus, which can mutate rapidly, meaning you have more points to spend on other aspects such as adaptation to environment or medicine, but also a much quicker path to fatalities. The next is airborne (forgot the term) but is difficult to spread. You have to put a huge focus into making it contagious as well as making it spread, but at the expense of making it lethal or adaptable. However, you now get an option to infect a random country (and no control over the enviroment, if it is rich or poor and if it is surrounded by other countries or if it is isolated). The longer you wait, the more advanced the disease will be and easier it will be to spread, but if you wait too long the countries will already be infected and it's time wasted in which you could have spent points in it being more lethal, and in which scientists have made progress on a cure.

Games are really quick, lasting about ten minutes each so it's easy to spam game after game without realising how much time you've spent. I got the game at about 9.30pm and all of a sudden it's midnight. I had been planning on playing The Witcher!

I also accidentally got an achievement that only 0.29% of players in the game have - I caused Britain to freak out in response to the disease and force a Hard Brexit to prevent easy travel. Yay.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:04 pm

With all of the hype for the upcoming Sonic Mania, I booted up Sonic Generations for a quick whirl. I've already completed the game so here I was focusing on achievements. First achievement was to get an S rank in every zone. There was only one level that I hadn't done that in, which also happens to have the most complicated mechanics. Harsh wind and moving environments. In order to get an S rank you have to finish the level without dying and within a certain time limit. After two hours of attempts I finally got it.

Next was to finish the opening level in 60 seconds. There's a not so obvious path to follow that has many pitfalls. One fall and it'll be impossible to finish the level in time. Many attempts and one nerd rage induced game closing later, I beat the level in 00:59:74. Tiny bit close.

Last was to finish the 3d version of chemical plant without entering the water. Same as the last level, there is a specific, not obvious path to follow. It's a matter of memorising when to jump, when to not jump and hope to not screw up. Frustrating to fail, but so rewarding once it's finally done.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 9:11 pm

This months ps+ lineup includes Killing Floor 2 and Episodes 1-5 of Life is Strange. Can't complain.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 4:12 am

Finished up Chapter 2 of The Witcher 2. I've got no idea how many chapters there are. Given the pace of the story, 3 would make sense. The first game had 5 however. There is a lot good and bad in comparison to the first game. I've already discussed the good in my opening thoughts so right now it's the bad that is standing out. The combat is miles better, but still suffers from repetitiveness. Gear seems almost pointless. 20 hours of gameplay and minimal gear upgrades. I'm still wearing the same chest armor that I started the game with. The crafting system is barely being used and I find myself once again rarely using potions and literally never using oils. Being able to enchant gear is a nice touch, but if I'm not gaining new pieces of gear then I'm just stockpiling hoards of runes. Navigating the inventory menus is a mess, it feels very clunky.

Finding locations for quests is also a ballache of a different kind than of which was experienced in The Witcher 1. Rather than night/day cycles screwing me over, overly complicated maps are the new enemy. Thankfully I already know this to be fixed in my short time with The Witcher 3. The world feels less alive than The Witcher 1 felt, which is kind of weird. The different character models are great though. The first game only had about ten models throughout the game, with a handful of unique story models.

The story is fascinating and some of the characters are extremely interesting, but I'm unsure how impactful my choices have been. In the Witcher 1, my choices caused highly noticeable impacts to the story. I have no idea if any of my choices have mattered so far and I can only think of one situation in which I felt I was in a high pressure choice option. The story is strong enough on its own that this doesn't matter that much though. I'm at the point that I just wish to rush through the game to see the story and start up The Witcher 3. I got stuck on a long winded quest and was half tempted to just YouTube the story and play The Witcher 3. I'm quite eager to dive back into it. I'll hold out though. I know it'll be more satisfying to know I experienced the full journey.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 8:09 am

Well that was depressing. Chapter 3 is extremely short and a majority of it consists of cutscenes. The story went into overdrive but a lot of questions didn't get answered. What is the fate of the character we worked with for a large portion of act 2? What happened to the person the main character has a long history with and had been looking for? And knowing that there is a Witcher 3, I can't help but wonder how much the choices I made really mattered. Letting characters live or die seems irrelevant if a sequel exists. The decision is already made regardless of my choice because the game has to run for those who don't have the earlier games. The final boss battle being optional is both unique and a letdown. I chose not to fight because I have memories of him turning up in the Witcher 3 (case in point of the previous sentences).

My enthusiasm of the first few hours quickly wore off towards the end. The gameplay failed to keep my interest and only the interest in the plot kept me going. The gameplay itself isn't bad, quite the opposite. But it does nothing to keep the shine. There is replay value in following different paths, but they all lead to the exact same conclusion, just as The Witcher 1 did. There are no different character builds to experiment with so it'll essentially be the same experience.

Perhaps knowledge of the Witcher 3 set unfair expectations. But regardless, the game sizzled out for me. I enjoyed it but don't rate it as strongly as I did after my initial impressions.