The Lounge

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
User avatar
eobversion1
Posts: 22340
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Re: The Lounge

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:25 pm

This hits the nail on the head.


User avatar
eobversion1
Posts: 22340
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Re: The Lounge

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:44 pm

Words fail me. I've never seen someone make a bigger jackass out of themselves in all my life. What's worse is his argument seems to be projecting throughout the entire video. I hope he doesn't have kids because they would die of embarrassment. It's funny too because he's not being inflammatory or provocative but he actually thinks he's clever, articulate and making an argument. Why people tried to get him kicked off a college campus is beyond me, just look at him, he's pathetic. Milo, I kinda get because he's a vicious bastard, but this guy? Really?
Image

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

User avatar
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 63792
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 am
Contact:

Re: The Lounge

Post by El Canuck » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:28 pm

Holy fuck, the guy is wearing blackface. The comments, dear god the comments. We're doomed. Humanity as a whole is doomed.
Image

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

User avatar
eobversion1
Posts: 22340
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Re: The Lounge

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 6:43 pm

He really went for it, It's truly unbelievable. To watch someone dig a deeper and deeper hole and be impressed with himself doing it takes a level of shamelessness I never thought possible. I don't know what to say really except for that it was a thing that happened.
Image

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

User avatar
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 7657
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:18 am
Twitter: AndyF1069
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Lounge

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 9:05 am

This was extremely depressing to watch

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

User avatar
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 63792
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 am
Contact:

Re: The Lounge

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:08 pm

I watched that myself lately and it was frustrating to watch. Tucker Carlson came off looking incredibly childish, to the point where I wouldn't have blamed Nye for talking to him in the same voice we reserve for talking with babies and toddlers. To that point, Carlson does the adult version of sticking his fingers in his ears and yelling "LALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU" by just plain talking over Nye and Nye even timed it. He was getting six seconds or so of time to speak before Carlson just talked over him and threw either the same question or one very similar at Nye and acted like Nye couldn't give him answers.

I'm sure there's a high number of viewers who watch that exchange and think Carlson is in the right here, I guess there must be, if there wasn't an audience for that boorish behaviour masquerading as journalism then I would have to think that Fox News would be defunct by now. To me though, he just looks like an idiot, but I'm not the audience that sort of segment would be geared towards anyway.

It definitely appeals to the anti-intellectualism trend that has been rapidly growing over the last number of years (and one could say came to a boil twice in the forms of Brexit and Trump) and that is depressing in its own right. Healthy skepticism is a great thing, but we've come to a point where a massive portion of the public are skeptical of science and embracing the snake oil salesmen. The only reason for someone to be so obtuse towards the indisputable fact of climate change is if they have a vested interest in business sectors whose practices contribute to climate change and need a climate of ignorance and indifference from the public in order to keep doing what they are doing. The largest and most obvious of such interests is the oil and gas industry and its a sentiment commonly shared by the tycoons at the top right down to the drillers tapping into the next oil well. While that ignorance might seem to serve their financial interests, it selfishly does a disservice to everyone else.
Image

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

User avatar
Dynasty
Title Contender
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Lounge

Post by Dynasty » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:11 pm

Yeah the Bill Nye segment was one of Tuckers worst showings, not sure what he was trying to get to there. In way over his head IMO. Im not sure why you consider people that turn into his show anti intellectuals though, seems a bit unaccepting and judgmental of the left to say so. How come no videos of Tucker Carlson tearing through people fall on the side of your political beliefs ? For example...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=At_PKKxer38[/youtube]

Tucker usuals bats 700 in these sorts of things. I certainly would not consider him a legit journalist, these shows seem to be closer to the entertainment side of political talk than anything else.

In the mean time I woke up every day this week went to work carried on normal activities, day to day life still seems quite the same in every day America as it was 4 years ago. Protests are slowly dwindling and the courts are doing their jobs keeping executive orders in check. I find it quite alarming anytime Donald Trump farts the wrong way this place is up in arms for days. Yet North Korea is making some headlines as of late and not a peep from the world's moral police at WV forums.

Edit: Ill tell what is anti intellectual...the fact that i can't figure out how to post videos correctly in my 12 years of coming here

User avatar
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 63792
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 am
Contact:

Re: The Lounge

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:52 pm

I never said ALL the viewers were anti-intellectuals, I said it appeals to the anti-intellectualism trend. My words are right there above your post, I don't see what point there is of you misconstruing them just a few pixels away from where they are printed in plain view.

This should also go without saying, but so should my previous statement, yet here we are: I do not speak for the entirety of the left or even a portion of the left, I speak for myself as a left-leaning person.

Also, you have to take the "S" out of https:// for the YouTube tags to work.

Lastly, while it is true that North Korea have continued carrying out missile tests, it is not our responsibility, or our obligation, to report on every piece of news. If that were our directive, we would just be copying and pasting links into this thread and the Idiocracy thread all day every day in some sort of vain effort to please no one by presenting what I'm assuming you would think to be an unbiased approach.

We're not a news site/station/publication, we're people on an internet forum. If you don't like our topics of discussion, please feel free to logout and leave. No one is forcing you to post here or to even read the threads, no one is demanding your presence. You are here of your own volition and can leave of that same volition. I implore you to explore other forums and social media sites for people who are worthy of your vastly superior mind.
Image

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

User avatar
Dynasty
Title Contender
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Lounge

Post by Dynasty » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 pm

I never said this was a news site. I never said I was superior to anyone else, I made a joke about my own intelligence in this very thread. Finally I never said you said ALL viewers. My words are right there above your post, I don't see what point there is of you misconstruing them just a few pixels away from where they are printed in plain view....funny how that works.

Just pointing out the sky is falling attitude every time an executive order is signed (Mind you executive orders are not even bills) and the Trump is the next Hitler which I believe you were implying when you posted Martin Niemoller's quote, all while there is an actual psycho in the far east that is a far greater threat than anything going on in the White House. Just pointing out how you label people that watch certain shows unintelligent because they are either entertained or have different beliefs and viewpoints other than your own.

Meanwhile the actual REALITY of it is day to day American life has changed very little if at all since this man has stepped into office. The reality is ...wether its because of Trump or not, job growth is booming in his first quarter. Business seems to like Trump. Will the trend continue I don't know is it because of him I don't know, but the picture you paint of the world everyday here on this forum isn't exactly and Im going to use the word again...reality. I post to call you out on it. So it seems like the response to my post are..."if you dont like it get out"...so liberal of you. I call out the hypocrisy around here nothing more nothing less through the insults, the threats, calling for my banning, Ive kept a level head through it all. And Ill continue to do so and Ill continue to challenge your posts in a civil way. Hence the purpose of a message board. Like you said...your replying to me on your own volition.

User avatar
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 63792
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 am
Contact:

Re: The Lounge

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:22 pm

Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:11 pm
Yeah the Bill Nye segment was one of Tuckers worst showings, not sure what he was trying to get to there. In way over his head IMO. Im not sure why you consider people that turn into his show anti intellectuals though, seems a bit unaccepting and judgmental of the left to say so.
This implies that I consider people that tune into his show to be anti-intellectual. Which is a misrepresentation of what I said, which was:

El Canuck wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:08 pm
It definitely appeals to the anti-intellectualism trend that has been rapidly growing over the last number of years (and one could say came to a boil twice in the forms of Brexit and Trump) and that is depressing in its own right.
I never said that "anti intellectuals" tune in, I said he tries to appeal to that growing trend among people. You're not stupid and I shouldn't have to point this out to you.
Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 pm
Meanwhile the actual REALITY of it is day to day American life has changed very little if at all since this man has stepped into office. The reality is ...wether its because of Trump or not, job growth is booming in his first quarter. Business seems to like Trump. Will the trend continue I don't know is it because of him I don't know, but the picture you paint of the world everyday here on this forum isn't exactly and Im going to use the word again...reality. I post to call you out on it. So it seems like the response to my post are..."if you dont like it get out"...so liberal of you. I call out the hypocrisy around here nothing more nothing less through the insults, the threats, calling for my banning, Ive kept a level head through it all. And Ill continue to do so and Ill continue to challenge your posts in a civil way. Hence the purpose of a message board. Like you said...your replying to me on your own volition.
Yes, day to day life hasn't changed immediately for white, middle-class, Christian Americans, bully for you. (the lives of undocumented immigrants and refugees from certain middle eastern countries however, have changed dramatically) But you knew, as we all did, that there wouldn't be much change immediately. Executive orders, bills and the like take laboriously long times to wind through congress and the senate and the supreme court, but you know all this, I'm wasting my time typing it out. Things like the Obamacare repeal will be a long time happening before any tangible effects will be felt, but this is when the actual actions are happening and when they need to be talked about. There's little point talking about it once it's long past stopping. Once again, you know this, you're not stupid. Also, in terms of your civility, taking what is said and bringing it to the extreme is not civil discourse, it's not engaging with what we are saying because it's not what was said. It's creating your own arguments out of thin air based loosely on what was said, stapling those arguments to our foreheads and yelling at them.
Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:51 pm
I never said this was a news site. I never said I was superior to anyone else,
You show up here every so often deriding everything we say that even borders on left wing ideology and boasting about how you are a centerist who didn't vote for Trump or Clinton and balances both sides. You say that our opinions and anything we cite are unmerited and heap scorn upon them because it's not a perfectly centered view (or at least not flattering to the right wing). Whether or not you intend to, you come off as very smug and self-rightous and it makes people not want to engage you at all or at least not constructively. Once again, I suspect you are well aware of this behaviour.
Image

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

User avatar
Dynasty
Title Contender
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Lounge

Post by Dynasty » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm

You used the anti intelligent term I didn't...your problem not mine. I just called you out on it. Seems to struck a nerve.

You have no idea if I am middle class, poor, rich, white, black, hispanic, christian, jewish, protestant, ect those are all labels that you are using on me because I disagree with your political standpoints. At the most its a bigoted comment at the least its an ignorant one, you can pick one. You are also insulting me calling me a bully, for some reason. I am not sure how I am bullying anyone, nor am I bullying minorities or non Americans in my day to day life. You legit cannot handle civil discussion without resorting to name calling.

Obamacare was and is a disaster, it effected me greatly financially but because people like me do not fit your narrative I guess that doesnt matter does it. As much as it helped some it crushed others greatly. I think you need to do a lot more research on Obamacare and see the cons and understand why not everyone is happy with it. People should not be forced to pay for other peoples medical coverage while struggling to pay their own, its beyond un-American.

Last I checked undocumented immigrants are not Americans, so yes you are right their lives unfortunately have changed, but again this is where the harsh reality comes in....They are not Americans. So therefor my point stands. Why America is being held to this standpoint of this open sanctuary for anyone is ridiculous. Maybe at one point it was in its early years, it can't be that for ever. Population and simple economics start to come into effect. But maybe we should start focusing on countries that stone gay people in the streets allow the rape of women and children instead of constantly holding America and its voters to this unreachable standard all of a sudden.

User avatar
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 63792
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 am
Contact:

Re: The Lounge

Post by El Canuck » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Let's get this one out of the way first so that we don't stray off the actual topic at hand:
Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm
But maybe we should start focusing on countries that stone gay people in the streets allow the rape of women and children instead of constantly holding America and its voters to this unreachable standard all of a sudden.
Who is the "we" in this context? You and I? Sure. It's an entirely different conversation though and you know that. You can start a new thread if you like, or I can juggle both topics. I will say that such behaviour is absolutely appalling and detestable and an excellent reason why we (as in North America) should give such persecuted and oppressed peoples of those nations refuge here.

Is the "we" referring to America? As in the government should? Because I agree that they should, but you know full well that a government can work on multiple issues at one given time, both foreign and domestic and that apart from UN sanctions and pressure, there's no easy solution to such issues barring all out conflict.

Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm
You used the anti intelligent term I didn't...your problem not mine. I just called you out on it. Seems to struck a nerve.
I used the term, that is correct. You misrepresented my use of it. You know this, hence why you had to dial back your argument to the usage of the term and not the statement surrounding it.

Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm
You have no idea if I am middle class, poor, rich, white, black, hispanic, christian, jewish, protestant, ect those are all labels that you are using on me because I disagree with your political standpoints. At the most its a bigoted comment at the least its an ignorant one, you can pick one. You are also insulting me calling me a bully, for some reason. I am not sure how I am bullying anyone, nor am I bullying minorities or non Americans in my day to day life. You legit cannot handle civil discussion without resorting to name calling.

I never directed it at you specifically. Saying "Bully for you" is not common in Stateside, it's moreso British nomenclature, but it means "good for you", as in yes, life hasn't changed for that majority demographic of the American populace. I will apologise for the confusion, on that note.

Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm
Obamacare was and is a disaster, it effected me greatly financially but because people like me do not fit your narrative I guess that doesnt matter does it. As much as it helped some it crushed others greatly. I think you need to do a lot more research on Obamacare and see the cons and understand why not everyone is happy with it. People should not be forced to pay for other peoples medical coverage while struggling to pay their own, its beyond un-American.

While Obamacare and its rollout were far from perfect, calling it a failure is not only unfair, but downright disingenuous. The amount of poor and disabled people who finally had some measure of healthcare coverage is utterly staggering and while universal healthcare (Obamacare is not that, but it is a step in that direction) may not have always been a part of American life, it is a progressive measure that has proven to be beneficial for nations that embrace it, like mine, here in Canada, and the U.K., Finland, Australia, the Scandinavian nations and more. While you are (likely) healthy right now and in need of no medical coverage, as are many more who feel exactly as you do, by paying in to universal healthcare by whatever means, you are helping your fellow Americans and covering yourself should the worst happen. It is in the interest of everyone besides health insurance companies and the one percent who can afford medical care without financial effect to be behind this, yourself included.

Dynasty wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:46 pm
Last I checked undocumented immigrants are not Americans, so yes you are right their lives unfortunately have changed, but again this is where the harsh reality comes in....They are not Americans. So therefor my point stands. Why America is being held to this standpoint of this open sanctuary for anyone is ridiculous. Maybe at one point it was in its early years, it can't be that for ever. Population and simple economics start to come into effect.

ICE has been taking Central American people from homes they have had in America for two and three decades, many who have been in America since they were small children and have grown up and raised families in America, arresting them, locking them in (for-profit) prisons and then shipping them, with only the clothes on their backs at the time of their arrest, to a country they often can no more call home than you can of the country (or countries) your immigrant ancestors landed from. This is inherently cruel punishment for the crime of being born on foreign soil.
Image

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

User avatar
Dynasty
Title Contender
Posts: 2144
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2006 7:54 pm
Location: Boston

Re: The Lounge

Post by Dynasty » Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 am

You are so wrong on Obamacare its not even funny when it comes to the middle class. My health insurance went from 140$ a month in 2008 to 420$ a month by 2014. That is staggering. Now do the math. $1680 a year to $5040 a year. Premiums have sky rocketed, deductibles have sky rocketed. Its near impossible to schedule a doctors appointment, emergency rooms are backed up at ridiculous rates. Its becoming too expensive for employers to offer health insurance. The only people benefitting from this are those that are low income or do not work. Middle Class Americans can not afford it, we flat out can't afford it. And its another reason why Trump was elected. Because he promised to get rid of it. You seem to forget America essentially voted to get rid of it when America elected Trump.Now you are shocked its going away...like it effects you at all.

Illegal immigrants are illegal, they are breaking the law its as simple as that. Yes its sucks for them but they shouldn't be here that is why they are being deported. Its an unfortunate situation but again America voted for this when America elected Donald Trump. Yes illegal immigrants do contribute but they are also taking what should be going to Americans. Its not an easy situation but it is what it is. If other countries and citizens want to criticize then open your doors to them. America's door has been temporarily closed until a better policy and procedure can be put into place to get the MAJOR problem of illegal immigration under control. The only thing that Id probably agree with you on is a wall is flat out stupid and beyond a waste of money. I also do not think Christians should have an easier time getting into the country than Muslims, it shouldn't be a matter of religion it should be a matter of nations.

User avatar
Mafwanix
Title Contender
Posts: 2206
Joined: Wed Jan 22, 2003 4:23 pm
Location: Virginia USA

Re: The Lounge

Post by Mafwanix » Mon Mar 13, 2017 3:52 pm

Dynasty wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:01 am
My health insurance went from 140$ a month in 2008 to 420$ a month by 2014. That is staggering. . . .. Premiums have sky rocketed, deductibles have sky rocketed. .
I can confirm that my experience is the same. I can't claim to know the ins and outs of Obamacare, but my premiums have skyrocketted since it has gone into effect. I have some ongoing medical issues that require I have bloodwork done every 2 - 3 months, and over the last year and a half I've gone from $27 copay everytime I get blood tests to over $140. It's gotten outrageously expensive.

User avatar
eobversion1
Posts: 22340
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Re: The Lounge

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

You make a perfectly valid point Mafwanix, my view is that Obamacare was a half measure it didn't work exactly the way it was supposed to, there are too many middle men pushing the needle to make it effective legislation. It was, however, a step in the right direction, the Medicaid expansion proved to be extremely effective in driving down costs in states where it's governors rolled it out correctly. As good as Medicaid would have been as an effective single-payer system, it's funding is looking to get cut and like I said there seems to be too much interference from price gouging pharmaceutical and medical supply companies to make it sustainable. They have too much bargaining power plain and simple. As we saw last week there aren't any solutions further to the right that could improve the situation. Too many half measures and not enough political capital. Healthcare is difficult even when there is complete political agreement, resources are scarce, the American climate makes it impossible.
Image

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

User avatar
endless
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 5020
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2004 10:41 pm
Contact:

Re: The Lounge

Post by endless » Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:55 pm

I'm not sure if this the right thread for this, but I didn't want to create a new thread for traditional novels since I wouldn't post on it much.

My review of Split Second by Douglas E. Richards


I don't normally read traditional novels. But I recently I decided that I was in the mood for sci-fi novel. So I decided to make time for one. I went on Amazon and see what's popular. I stumble upon Split Second. At 365 pages, it seemed about the right length. I like time travel stories. I see that this thing has 2510 reviews and it's sitting at 4.3 out of 5 stars. The Kindle price was only $2.99. Great.

(8% of the book later)

Holy shit, this book sssssuuuuccccckkkkssssss!!!!!! How is this a New York Times best seller? How is Douglas E. Richards a professional writer? The exposition heavy dialogue is about as clunky as a broken printing press. Damn near everything is tell, not show. What little of the story I could get through was on part with a Bruno Mattei action flick. This thing breaks just about every rule of good writing that you could imagine. Not even a great fan fiction writer, an average fan fiction writer does better than this on the internet for free. The only compliment that I can pay this book is that someone spell checked it.

Have standards fallen that much in the main stream book publishing business? I'm used to reading novels from Stephen King, Jack Ketchum, Michael Crichton, etc. They aren't classic literature great writers, but they were still professionals at their craft. I'm legit in shock that something this bad could be this popular.
Image

User avatar
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 63792
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 9:15 am
Contact:

Re: The Lounge

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:29 pm

There's a thread about halfway down the page called "What are we reading?" that would seem ideal for this.
Image

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

User avatar
eobversion1
Posts: 22340
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Re: The Lounge

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:05 pm

I do like this channel


User avatar
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Posts: 7657
Joined: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:18 am
Twitter: AndyF1069
Location: Liverpool

Re: The Lounge

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 1:08 pm

Video is a couple of years old, but one of my favourites. My youngest niece had an obsession with biscuits (and still does today)



Here she is a couple of years later. Three years old and already gaming and not only that, she offers the controller to her sister without prompt. Sharing is caring. I've trained her well :D

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

User avatar
eobversion1
Posts: 22340
Joined: Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:08 am
Location: Cork, Ireland

Re: The Lounge

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:14 pm

About as nice a video about gamers as you're likely to find Andy haha
Image

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest