The Comics Thread

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
endless
Hall Of Famer

The Comics Thread

Post by endless » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:41 pm

Anyone else around here read comics? I didn't see a thread, so I though I would create one.

Black Widow

Recently I finished reading the 2014-2015 Black Widow series. It's written by Nathan Edmondson with art by Phil Noto. The 20 issue series follows the exploits of Natasha Romanoff when she's off duty as an Avenger and Agent of Shield. That mainly involves her doing less than legal jobs for money.
Over all, this characterization is closer to movie Black Widow than any other I've seen in the comics or TV before. So if you like Scarlett Johansson's character you'll like this one. The advantage that the comics have is that the stories are longer and only focused on Black Widow, so we get more time to learn what makes Natasha tick.
The art is beautiful. Phil Noto's colors are off the charts. Nathan Edmondson does a good job with Natasha. She's not an easy character to write, but he balances her cold/sarcastic/heart of gold(maybe, maybe not) personality well. The one weakness of the series is that it takes a while to get to the point, but by the end of issue 20 I think it's totally worth it.

Overall, I highly recommend it. It's a good jumping on point for non-comics readers as well. No backstory required.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Comics Thread

Post by isrs4life » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:48 pm

Yeah, Garfield comic strip out of the newspaper is great.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 12, 2016 9:36 pm

Not what he had in mind, Isrs. He meant comic books, not Sunday funnies.

I've got a stack of graphic novels to read at present, starting with an independent author/artist team I met at the Sci-Fi on the Rock convention by the name of Jay Paulin and Ariel Marsh. They've got quite a few comics in print and the one I decided to go with is called Emma Awesome, a story of an undead rockstar girl. It's got a lot of heart and charm and the artwork is bright, vibrant and just pops with personality on every page. Well worth looking into.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:12 am

Just started reading some comic crossovers I got from my library and read batman vs aliens 1 and 2 and the vs predator trilogy. That would make a epic movie or a game..

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:10 pm

endless is a she nucks I was trying to make a joke

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:33 pm

Endless is a dude, isrs.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:45 pm

I am a guy, and I did get the joke.

Also...Garfield sucks.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:27 pm

Well, that changes every thing... Sorry but I never asked you before if you were a guy I just tryed to guess on the way you type :oops:

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Sun Apr 24, 2016 11:27 am

Lazarus

I finished the first 21 issues of Lazarus. The creator owned series written by Greg Rucka, and art by Michael Lark. It's published by Image comics. The series takes place in a not too distant future where the world's economy and nations have fallen. The world is now ruled by the richest families in the world. Those who serve the families are known as Serfs. All others are Waste. Most of the families also have a Super Soldier called a Lazarus, who serves as the sword and shield for the family. The main character of the series is Forever Carlyle. The Lazarus of the Carlyle family. The family that rules the western North America.
This series is just badass on every level. The world is believable and expansive. The art is amazing. Greg Rucka can do no wrong as a writer. The story moves a long a nice pace, and there are some nice twist and turns through out.
I recommend that you get the individual issues instead of the trades because the back matter for this series is amazing. The letters column is excellent, and there is a lot of extra material to expand the world as well. Overall, this is one of the best comics series going today. It's worth every penny.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:07 pm

Graveyard Shift

This is a 4 issue miniseries published by Image comics. It's written by Jay Faerber with art by Fran Bueno. The series is about a cop who's life is turned inside out by Vampires. I don't recommend this series. It doesn't have any major problems, and in fact, some of the elements are actually great. The series is bog down by a lot of minor issues.
On the writing side, the basic premise is very good. It's basically John Wick meet Buffy. How great does that sound? But the execution of that premise is lacking. The plot is so thin that it barely fills the four issues. The characters are flat cliches that you've seen a hundred times before.
On the art side the color work is amazing. Some of the panels are really impressive. On the negative Fran Bueno's faces are lacking in facial expressions. In some panels they look fine, but too often they are stuck with a "dull surprise" look. The character's bodies also have a weird stiffness to them. They don't feel like organic beings. They feel more like mannequin placed in poses.

If you can get it for cheap and you like the premise I guess you can give it a try. But there much better comics that you could be reading.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun May 29, 2016 7:13 pm

What are everyone's thoughts on the scuttlebutt with the new Captain America comics? I think it's a horrible idea and desperate, lazy writing to get any kind of shock value and attention on the comics. The writers should be canned and the next issue one giant apology to the fans. Reveal that Captain America to be a skrull or a dream sequence and write the whole thing off post-haste.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Tue May 31, 2016 3:48 am

It doesn't make any sense at all to have him being a hydra agent all along
Him and red skull almost killed each other numerously.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:17 pm

I mostly don't care. I see the value of turning Steve Rogers into a villain, but this is the dumbest way to do it. And for the record, I like Nick Spencer a lot as a writer. The Superior Foes of Spiderman is one of my favorite comics ever. His run on Ant Man has been flawless. I've heard good things about his run on Secret Avengers. I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out that this was an editorial mandate, or something along does lines.

Either way, it's a cheap stunt the likes of which Marvel and DC pull every few years. It does more harm than good to comics.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Feb 09, 2017 11:11 pm

Wave: Listen to me! Vol 1

This manga is flawed at almost every level, yet it kind of works.

On the art front the characters are designed kind of meh. Especially with the supporting cast. The facial expressions also don't work sometimes. With that being backgrounds are drawn consistently well and there are some nice panels.

On the writing side, the motivations of the main antagonists(kind of antagonist?) don't make any sense at all. I think the series wants me to think that it's going to lead to a big reveal, but no. It's just illogical. The series is super Japanese-centric. It constantly references local regions, landmarks, and celebrities. That makes the translation very challenging. With that being said, the humor mostly works, and the premise is pretty original(even if the setup is totally illogical).

Overall, I recommend it. Keep in mind that it's not perfect, but there is enough charm and wit to make it work. Plus, it's just nice to see a manga by adults, for adults, with adult characters that also doesn't take itself too seriously.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:33 pm

The GF is a Manga fan, and also an Anime fan. I can't say I've ever read one myself, though.

Latest comics I did read though were the (nearly) complete series of Pirates of Dark Water comics. They ran for ten issues, all produced by Marvel. The first six follow the cartoons faithfully, but the last four veered off into a comics-exclusive adventure. The GF picked those up for me as a gift, she found all but one issue (#7, which is reportedly incredibly hard to find). They're very well done, imo. The art matches the aesthetic of the cartoons, (which she also got for me as a DVD set, it was my favourite as a kid) and the story telling is just as engaging as the source. The original story was interesting, though it felt like a clear departure from the cartoons, in terms of the writing style. It read more like a fan-fic at times than an actual PoDW story, but it was still quite entertaining.