Gold & Steel

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Gold & Steel

Post by El Canuck » Thu Apr 07, 2016 2:50 pm

Now that several of you have or, at least will soon be receiving, copies of As Fierce as Steel, I thought I might start a thread about the whole series. As you read it, feel free to ask me questions and if I can answer them without being spoiling future releases, I'll answer them.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: Gold & Steel

Post by GooberBM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:54 pm

On a scale of 1-10, 1 being low and 10 being high, how big is your head right now? =p

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:45 pm

I was worried about that reaction, in jest or otherwise. Oh well.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Apr 07, 2016 7:50 pm

Of course you were. So I figured I'd get it out of the way so nobody else would do it. Cause I'm a sweetheart like that

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:11 pm

Chapter 4? Chapter 4??? They didn't get past chapter freaking 4 before they boned? I mean, in human social interaction it makes sense: If he had been blocked up for a year and a really hot woman is basically throwing it at him, yes he has sex with her. I'm totally with you there.

But I feel so cheated by her. For all of the empowering women stuff going on, how did she forget the first rule of using the vagina as a weapon? You ALWAYS make sure you get something tangible for giving it up. And she so didn't get anything tangible...unless you count his seed. Which even she doesn't.

Game recognize game, and Marigold is looking unfamiliar right now. Is all I'm saying

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 17, 2016 9:32 pm

True, but they both hint at the fact that she's basically had this play in motion well before chapter 1. She's been playing the long game as far as that's concerned and now it's time to see if it pays off for her.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:44 pm

GAME RECOGNIZE GAME, MARIGOLD!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 03, 2016 6:51 pm

I've released a new excerpt from the Stealing Back Freedom short story prequel to the site, head on over for a brief read if you feel inclined: https://thegoldandsteelsaga.com/stealingbackfreedom/

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:57 am

The link to the podcast I recently did, for those who may have missed it being posted in the counting game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZQQqYlD7PA

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:32 pm

A new blog post today about the writers culture in my home province: https://writinggoldandsteel.wordpress.c ... and-is-it/

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:02 am

I would be interested in parusing your literary work bucks if you would be so kind as to let me read it.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:31 am

So wait, you want me to just give it to you for free?

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:56 pm

I feel that is a problem with independantly published books, the end cost. I've been checking Amazon and other booksellers regularly since you announced your publication, hoping to find a discounted used copy. I prefer hardbound editions of books, personally, but generally don't pay more than US $20 for them. I find it hard to justify paying almost double that for a book I may not even like. I'm not that hardcore of a fan.

(Yes, I know that it's almost impossible to predict whether or not I'd like a book I've never read, but I didn't care for GRRM's style and your work has been compared to it. I'd give it a try for $16.95, tho)

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 14, 2016 6:44 pm

Hmm...What specifically didn't you like about GRRM's style? Maybe I can help you figure out if you'd like mine or not.

Odds are you won't find a quality used copy any time soon (barring a sudden takeoff of sales) and for the size of the hardcover (almost 700 pages) I can't afford let it go for any cheaper than what I've got it marked for.

When the second book rolls out (or two years, whichever passes first) I'll be releasing it in trade paperback, so that will be a cheaper alternative, but until then, that's as good as I can do man, sorry.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Fri Jul 15, 2016 2:56 am

Sorry nucks I thought it was fanfiction I did not know it was in book stores I will have o check and see if I can get it

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:51 am

No it's a real book, that I lovingly refer to as "a murder weapon" because of it's size and heft

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:12 am

El Canuck wrote:Odds are you won't find a quality used copy any time soon. . . .I can't afford let it go for any cheaper than what I've got it marked for.
Oh, I understand the reasons for the cost, I just wanted to give you my honest reasoning why I haven't gotten a copy.
And I know what to expect regarding used copies. There is a used bookstore here in town I check out occassionally. They do a booming business in romance novels, but sci-fi and fantasy titles are usually limited. The girl there explained to me that many sci-fi fans are also collecters who hold on to their books, so the used market is slim. I can sympathize with that, too, as I tend to hoard the darn things myself.
El Canuck wrote:What specifically didn't you like about GRRM's style?
It's hard for me to describe. I think the best word would be "tedious". Too tedious for me to really enjoy. Like reading a chemistry textbook. Not a fun, casual read like a pulp novel.
I read the 3rd Fire & Ice book, after seeing the first 2 seasons of GoT. First, it was too long. I read relatively slow and it seemed to take me forever to finish it. I got bored with it about half way through, so the going was even slower. Too many subplots to follow. The worst part, was too darn many characters. I mean, I was familiar with all the major characters from seeing the TV show, but reading that book, I was constantly having to go back to the character appendix every couple pages to figure out who was who. Detracted from my enjoying the narrative.

To this day, I still really enjoy a cheap pulp novel most of all.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 10:48 am

Yeah, I don't think I'm quite so tedious as GRRM, not so heavy on the subplots or the total characters (however I do have some subplots and while I don't have as many characters as GRRM, I do have quite a few) it might be a detraction. Best I could recommend at this point is to read the excerpts and free chapters over at the website, see how that writing strikes you and maybe try the eBook version, which would only set you back about $9.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:39 am

stigsyv1 wrote:Sorry nucks I thought it was fanfiction I did not know it was in book stores I will have o check and see if I can get it
Well, it's in-store online with just about everyone who carries books. Getting it inside the brick and mortar stores themselves is a little trickier.
GooberBM wrote:No it's a real book, that I lovingly refer to as "a murder weapon" because of it's size and heft
And while you were the first to express as much, it's becoming a growing sentiment. :lol:

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:02 am

El Canuck wrote:
GooberBM wrote:No it's a real book, that I lovingly refer to as "a murder weapon" because of it's size and heft
And while you were the first to express as much, it's becoming a growing sentiment. :lol:
I watched some of that podcast interview you linked to. (I listened to the whole thing while doing something else, podcast videos are generally pretty boring) That copy of your book you used in the video looked a bit oversized from the normal mass market hardback editions, which is what I try to buy when I can.
El Canuck wrote:read the excerpts and free chapters over at the website
I'm sqeezing them in with some of the other stuff on my reading list. I have to convert and print stuff out; I HATE trying to read anything lengthy on the computer. I wear bifocals, and it is literally a pain in the neck.