The 2016 US Presidential Election

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: The 2016 US Presidential Election

Post by GooberBM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:52 pm

Yeah, what is up with Darragh? He studied all that history and doesn't know any better?

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:15 pm

A potent ideological virus it seems. It's amazing how quickly critical or pragmatic thinking goes out the window when your dread is absorbed with a narrative that explains everything you think is wrong and shifts the blame. I wish him no ill will, whatsoever, though, a new leaf as I said before.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:43 pm

For sure, I hope he snaps out of it more than wanting to say anything bad about him. But seeing that post this morning he put up about Bernie getting screwed was jarring. I had no idea he had been infected like that

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:50 pm

I see a lot of true in that post Nucks. Trump for all of the terrible things he's said and all of the terrible things he's done, the fact of the matter is that to the average voter, he came out as genuine. A genuine terrible, racist, dickcock, but genuine none the less. Hillary, for as stupidly qualified as she was, never came off as a genuine, real person. Like Trump could've just been putting on an act, but he was convincing in it. Hillary, just never gave off that vibe. Every appearance she made, damn near everything she said, to a huge chunk of people, came off as fake.

Obama always had a very real feel to him, it never felt forced when he was around common everyday folk or the Jay-Zs and Beyonces of the world, he seemed natural. W. Bush, always had a very down to Earth feel to him, was a shit President, but he seemed like himself, same can be said about Bill Clinton, and Reagan. If you can make people feel like your are legit, that will always appeal to a large number of people.

It's a similar problem that Romney had. He seemed competent enough, but always felt like he was fake, to an extent it's a problem that John Kerry and Al Gore had, to varying degrees. It's why so many people, both young and old, flocked to Bernie during the primaries, it's why the campaign came to life when Barack or Michelle spoke, people feel a very real and genuine connection to them and it's something that Hillary was never able to do.

Had Bernie lost in a clean campaign, it would've hurt for sure for his base, but they wouldn't have felt that the game was over before it began and maybe Hillary would've had a better shot at connecting with them. Not to mention, as far as black voters go, people have long memories and some people still feel raw about everything that was said during the 2008 Democratic primaries between Barack and Hillary. Leading to so many people I know either not voting for her, or just having the most uninspired attitude towards her and voting for her, causing a lot of people have those, "I Guess I'm with Her" memes all over their social media.

The DNC playing themselves by trying to screw Bernie could have long lasting and real damaging effects. I am with everyone who thinks that the "Bernie or Bust" people need to really get the fuck over it, but you can't ignore the face that crushing a genuine movement like that can really set the party back by a couple decades. There is hope, Elizabeth Warren seems to have that same genuine connection to people, Corey Booker (although he's no Obama, but seriously who can be?) looks to be making that connection with the black base of the party that Hillary had, but couldn't quite get really in touch with. And around the country so many other minority groups are being represented in each branch and level of government in greater numbers than before. So while this is going to hurt, the seeds for more strides for all groups have been planted.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:03 pm

I really should start preparing for the second great depression now right? http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/ ... rm=nprnews

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Nov 10, 2016 5:55 pm

Those were some poignant words, Slim. Very well said.

That's what a Trump presidency is going to be, Endless. He's already stated plans to practically deregulate everything, down to the food you eat.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 6:21 pm

The last 24 hours has felt like a funeral for America. Grief like this isn't normal. "The land of the free and the home of the brave" just doesn't have the same ring to it.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:00 pm

https://twitter.com/catvalente/status/7 ... 4869577728

The hypocrisy...it burns. It buuuuuuuuuurns

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:15 pm

Rudy could use some weed.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:12 pm

I think we could all use a hit after this week.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:47 am

If it's like this now what's it gonna be like when he actually is in the Whitehouse.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:07 am

Just watched the segment on Colbert where he talked about the people lined up to be in Trump's cabinet and fuck me. Sarah Palin, Chris Christie, Rudy Giuliani, Ben Carson, Newt Gingrich, and of course one of his sons(all good dictators put their seed in power).

These next 4 years...

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:19 am

Best case scenario it's surrounding himself with people who will tell him what he wants to hear the whole time.

The people of Indiana are actually excited to be rid of Mike Pence. The guy who said he'd model his Vice Presidency after Dick Cheney.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:32 am

I'd say good for the people of Indiana, but they voted him in, twice technically. They don't like him as their governor enough to cheer his departure but they voted for him to be their Vice President-elect?

So..they're still fucking morons

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:49 am

Here is one pretty important data point and one interesting take on things that is worth considering:

http://nathanjurgenson.com/post/152938927255/factiness

https://twitter.com/shane_bauer/status/ ... 6722441220

Also, take note: 53% of white women voted for Trump. Just sayin'

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 8:56 am

Oh yeah, either way, they hate him. It's a weird dynamic.

Yup, most commentators have no idea really. We've seen that a lot of the typical electorate didn't vote. It shifted big time. Different people voted for Trump than Romney, those who showed up for Obama didn't for Clinton.

White women voted for Trump too. That's a mystery that can't be explained through rational thought.

Also, because of gerrymandering Democrats have a popular majority in congress too but have been gerrymandering out of control of it.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:16 am

Which is Democratic voters fault on the local/state level. There are only 16 Democratic governorships now, and GOP has control of just as many state legislatures. That's how they gerrymandered the districts in the first place. They have been ruthless, patient, and have never stopped putting the pieces in place to suppress and disenfranchise their opposition. And we let it happen for the last 20+ years and the fruit is coming ripe for it

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:18 am

I mean really, letting the legislature redraw districts is a really terrible idea. That should be done by an independent, non-partisan council. But that would make too much damned sense

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:24 am

Yup, their fault, too accepting, too polite, too passive and too willing to shrug things off. If Hillary had won you'd bet we'd be seeing worse dissension than we are now. My twitter feed reads like America was assassinated on Tuesday night. I was shocked, I was sad but now I'm angry and ready for Phase 2, the resistance.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Fri Nov 11, 2016 9:32 am

Makes me wish Obama was the asshole that he has been made out to be by so many of the GOP supporters and those in power. Being that damn cordial and adult with Trump after the man built his entire political career off of saying he wasn't born in this country, making it his mission to bring down everything he fought to get done, and disrespected him time and again.

We really didn't deserve Obama as President, because I sure as hell couldn't stomach being in the same room as him and would've called him every name I could think of. But, President Obama knows that the country needs to have a peaceful transition of power, because chaos would arise if otherwise.