The 2016 US Presidential Election

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: The 2016 US Presidential Election

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:27 pm

There is a major segment of people in these rural areas that went so strongly red who truly feel like Washington and president and their government at all levels, doesn't work or care about them in the slightest. That's the bulk of who voted for Trump. They're mostly white, mostly poor and live in under-served towns that have been maintaining high unemployment rates while the rest of the country did considerably better under the Obama years.

So, when the big city slicker billionaire showed up, being a familiar face from television and being ostensibly from outside the government fold that every other Republican and Democrat alike couldn't say, they listened. He's the charismatic conman taking the residents of these forgotten towns who feel abandoned in the wake of progress and promising them a sunny future.

He's Lyle Lanley, the monorail salesman from the Simpsons.

Donald Trump has displayed exactly who he is and that's a conman who cares only about himself. He will discard these people as quickly as he discarded his first two wives when they stopped being hot enough and in four years time, feeling as disenfranchised by the slick talking conman as they were by the Washington elites, they will discard him. The rust belt firewall isn't about to see a sudden influx in jobs, or at least not full-time permanent ones. He might stick a monorail equivalent in a few of them and when they get run down and go belly up like the Trump Taj Mahal, he'll walk off into the sunset with his millions and never glance at them again. But for now, they're still basking in his charismatic glow.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:35 pm

As I've said before I'm only waiting for when he starts flinging Twitter insults again. I still can't believe America has done this.

No one's going to ask to see his long form birth certificate, college records or even his tax returns.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:46 pm

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos!

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:00 pm

Kodos sounds great!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:09 pm

Better than Trump.

Also, after last night I am in no mood for work and helping people with their dumbass questions and excessive shit for their Weddings, and Holiday crap.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:15 pm

That's why I did most of my hours this week already. Knew my concentration would be fried. Just another shift tomorrow.

I don't think it does anyone any good to do more posturing about "President Trump" at this stage, it's dumb, it sucks but until we know more and if past behaviour is a predictor of future performance we definitely will know more there's not a whole lot to say.

At least the Democrats have a clean slate to build opposition. Let them be the rebels for a change. It's what they need and they have one hell of a target.
Last edited by eobversion1 on Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:19 pm

Indeed. Hopefully tomorrow will be better and it's my last day of the week, so that I can look forward to. Plus, Friday is pay day!!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:48 pm

Get that cheddar, slim. Get that cheddar

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:04 pm

Yep. The last two calls I've gotten have lifted my mood a bit. So I guess today isn't total shit.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:21 pm

Life goes on, no matter what terrible thing happens

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 09, 2016 7:24 pm

I feel for you, Slim. It's a difficult loss for so many.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:18 pm

3 more hours. I honestly did not know all of the things people buy for weddings and the holidays.

These things are taking my mind off of the election, so that's a little bit of a relief. And I'm playing Batman: The Telltale Series, and the remastered versions of Arkham Asylum and Arkham City. So plenty of distractions for me.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Nov 10, 2016 11:58 am

I'm sure "Bernie Or Bust" supporters that couldn't bring themselves to vote for a woman are so proud of this. Way to get money out of politics. Good job people.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/796755331221258240

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:23 pm

This isn't bad.

This isn't bad.

This isn't bad, this isn't bad.

This isn't bad, this isn't bad, this isn't bad.

Thisisn'tbadthisisn'tbadthisisn'tbadthisisn'tbadthisisn'tbad.

Thisisn'tbadthisisn'tbadthisisn'tbadthisisn'tbadthisisn'tbadthisn'tbadthisn'tbadthisn'tbad

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:05 pm

The stories online about how some White students are reacting to the election result are some of the scariest things I've ever read. A small nudge in a certain direction and some people go right into a 1950's Jim Crow era mentality. Even people that grew up in a technologically advance, globally connected world.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:15 pm

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:26 pm

Rachel is a national treasure to be cherished now more than ever.

Bill Maher reacts to the Election Results and Ana Marie Cox is on the panel. Friday's "Real Time" is a must watch.

https://twitter.com/RealTimers/status/7 ... 6844012544

This is a great read too. It's easy to say that "America needs a more informed and engaged electorate." but Facebook does nothing but help us feel better about our own points of view. I'm guilty of it sometimes but boy I try not to be and I try to have the best bullshit filter possible.

http://www.niemanlab.org/2016/11/the-fo ... get-worse/

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:38 pm

What I appreciate about Maddow in that video is that, obviously that segment hits very close to home for her as she's in the crosshairs of people that are likely to be singled out, but if you take that aside and remove the title of the segment and just listen to what she says on it's merits, it's something everyone should listen to and be reminded of anyway.

No matter what is happening in our country and our world, what are you doing to make it a better place? That's the simplest question that anyone should ask themselves.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:05 pm

endless wrote:I'm sure "Bernie Or Bust" supporters that couldn't bring themselves to vote for a woman are so proud of this. Way to get money out of politics. Good job people.

https://twitter.com/CNBCnow/status/796755331221258240
To be fair, it wasn't that it was a woman, it was that it was Hillary Clinton, who they felt screwed over Bernie. The shitty part is, from the looks of the Democratic turnout compared to the Obama years, that is exactly what crushed her:

(It's too big to embed in the post)

https://scontent-yyz1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/t3 ... 7103_o.jpg

GOP are going to vote GOP no matter what, as this election proved. There is no concern for the morals (but the religious right and their morals, am I right?), foreign policy, domestic policy, temperament, values for human rights, or any of the like. If it puts an (R) after its name, it wins fifty million votes automatically. The reason Trump won, is Democratic voter apathy. It's easy to blame the voters, Clinton herself or the DNC individually. It's also easy to blame Stein and Johnson and claim small voter surges took away key votes Clinton needed, but the fact of the matter is, it's a combination of the first three and a tiny smattering of the fourth.

As much as I heralded that this would be the destruction of the GOP, it's actually the fall of the DNC. They had a movement of hope and change on their hands, one that inspired young and old DNC voters alike and they smashed that between their palms because they felt it was Clinton's turn. Rather than embrace this sudden movement and let it carry them easily to the White House, they destroyed it and took the hard gamble in HRC and lost not just for themselves, but for America.

I don't see a foreseeable road for the DNC to recover from this. They eroded all trust in the young voters in this election and they stayed home. It was heard daily on Twitter that the DNC was just for the Wall Street Elites and didn't speak for the young and the poor and by screwing Bernie and putting Clinton there, the DNC did nothing to assuage those concerns. If they want trust back, they have to make a public show of gutting out the DNC. They have to put younger, diverse faces of at least Gen X who have little or no ties to Wall Street in the power positions. They have to be the ones building a foundation of hope to bridge out to the voters that stayed home or protest voted.

To those voters, it's easy to think one or two votes won't turn the tide for a bigoted monster like Trump, but when tens of millions of people all start to think that way, well, you saw what happened. I get the disenfranchisement, I really do. But this wasn't an election where the loss meant a brief term for a standard, right-wing suit like a Gerald Ford or a H.W. Bush in office, there was so much more on the line here. Donald Trump can do a lot of damage in four years and your protest votes (or non-vote) helped to put him in a position to do that damage. He's going to be electing at least one member of the Supreme Court and his list was comprised of ultra conservatives. Forget his policies (or lack thereof) forget this news of a Wall Street CEO being in the treasury and focus on the fact that for much of your immediate future, any rights related decisions put before the Supreme Court are facing 5-4 for conservative beliefs before it starts. Anything involving minority rights, women's reproductive rights, (and you can bet that Mike Pence is going right for the uterus) marijuana legalization, gay rights and gun control are all going before them with the odds stacked against them. That's the best case scenario of Trump only getting to elect one judge.

To HRC, I rooted for you, I really did. I put aside the Bernie stuff and I put over how you were the only choice in this election, but too many people disagreed. GOP did their thing and voted for the worst humanity could dredge up and too many democratic voters stayed home. Yes, you were beyond qualified for the job, no one can deny that, but as you saw, qualifications don't mean a thing when your opponent is a charismatic conman. If this were a standard election pitting you versus a Bush or Mitt Romney, you could have duked it out over qualifications and policy and it would be a boring old election cycle and maybe you'd win. But this was against a man made of Teflon. Yes, the emails and the Comey business hurt you like hell, but Trump should have been sunk twenty times over for all the awful things he said and did this year alone (not counting the 2005 Billy Bush tape), that's not even touching his three dreadful debate performances. He was able to tap into rural America with his charismatic appeal. They feel like you have forgotten them and let them down and it's hard to argue with that. No, they shouldn't have been duped by the real life equivalent of Lyle Lanley, the monorail salesman from the Simpsons, but you made little effort to diffuse that. Perhaps you weren't aware it was happening or found out too late, but that's also a fault of you and your campaign team for being out of the loop.

As for the third parties. Jill Stein: You were barely spoke of or mentioned, but when you did get a few seconds, you managed to always spend it cutting down Clinton. This helped Trump, not you. You know from Day 1 that you would never be elected, you knew you weren't going to crack enough votes to get party status, you knew all of this, all while facing down the threat of Trump. That's all I've got for you.
Gary Johnson: You were a protest vote. Get angry at being that all you want, but that's all you were. Instead of warning people against Trump you stood there and sucked in all those protest votes and it amounts to nothing.

To America: What have you done?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:24 pm

Hear, Hear Nucks.

I've learned that bemoaning Alex Jones, Infowars, the Alt-right, Klan and Nazis isn't good enough. I was in denial. I thought that people were better than that. The candidate of David Duke won. The racist rhetoric to fuel populist anger worked. They won.

The spoonfeeding of propagandized, primal and over-simplified narratives to white men (E.G. Darragh O' Connor's FB page) is something I loathe with every fibre of my being but I know that it doesn't help to lament it simply to be agreed with. That kind of discourse isn't good enough anymore. The radicalisation of white men is here to stay, I have to be above it.

I'll make the world a better place by being honest and self-critical and working every day to be a better person in spite of the forces that brought the world, President Trump.