The Absurdly Awesome Anime Thread!

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Re: The Absurdly Awesome Anime Thread!

Post by Big slim » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:21 am

If you are into parody and want some good laughs, try Dragonball Z: Abridged. They have done episodes all the way up until when the Saiyans go into the Time Chamber and are still working on others. It is really funny and a pretty good tribute to the series. They have it on their website, teamfourstar.com and on their Youtube page, Team Four Star.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:23 am

I have heard good things about that, I mean to check it out sometime.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:42 am

They also have a couple of the movies. They have Dead Zone, (Christmas) Tree of Might, Lord Slug, Cooler's Revenge, and Cooler's Return. The best of that bunch might be Slug and Dead Zone but all are worth a viewing.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Mon Dec 08, 2014 11:50 pm

I will admit that I believe that TFS jumped the shark after the Freezer saga.

That's just me, maybe it is that they just need a little bit more of Goku and its muffin button...

Oh, and let's not forget THESE GUYS!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:16 am

Yeah I mean, there were a lot of good characters that they did in that saga, Super Kami Guru, Dende, all of the Ginyu's, everybody was on point so it is natural that there is a slight dip after it. I will say that Cell has hope because of how awesomely creepy the dude is.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 9:40 am

I think the coolest thing about the Abridged version is that a bunch of people involved in it have gone on to an actual career in voice acting. The dude who played Cooler has had a few more roles in some larger anime, and quite a few members have been involved in some video games as voice actors. It's nice when you can parlay a project into a demo reel, haha.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:44 pm

Indeed.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:35 pm

Big slim wrote:Yeah I mean, there were a lot of good characters that they did in that saga, Super Kami Guru, Dende, all of the Ginyu's, everybody was on point so it is natural that there is a slight dip after it. I will say that Cell has hope because of how awesomely creepy the dude is.
Yeah, Trunks and 17 and 18 are really bland. 16 could work out well, and Cell has that sarcastic tone that made Frieza cool but has that rapist tone that makes if kind of fun.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:02 pm

With Trunks, I think it is mostly to contrast and show just how different he and Vegeta are. 17 and 18 started off okay, but I am just waiting to see Cell absorb them, should be a joy to watch.

I also might have to pick up an "I AM THE HYPE!" T-shirt off of their website.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:11 pm

The image is too big for the page, but click the link, you DBZ fans won't be disappointed. THE LINK IS HERE

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Nov 13, 2016 4:42 pm

I've been watching Tokyo Ghoul. As good as time as any to revive this thread. I'm nearly through season one. Touka is my favourite character thus far. She's a total badass.

Also, fuck Mado.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 10:36 pm

Durarara, where EVERYONE is terrifying in some way shape or form.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:26 pm

Can't say I've heard of that one, Jama.

Well into Season 2 of Tokyo Ghoul. I feel a little lost at this point, there's a lot going on without any explanation. For example, why are those twin ghouls there all of a sudden? They know that weirdo investigator guy in the coloured suspenders but there's been no reason given for their involvement with everything as they don't seem to be aligned with any particular side. For another example, why was Aogiri breaking into the Ghoul prison for that big brute anyway? Just to kill him? For what? What purpose does he have? It's my one main gripe with the whole series is that they just jump into events with no rhyme or reason given.

What I like thus far is that outside of Anteiku, who are clear protagonists, no one side is presented as right or wrong. There's good and bad people on both sides of the Ghoul/Human conflict and each individual has their own reasons for fighting against the other side.

I'm intrigued and look forward to finishing out the season.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:49 am

I've really been enjoying Dragonball Super lately. It started off quite slow, but the current arc they are in has been phenomenal. I've found myself anxiously awaiting each Sunday for the subbed version to appear because I'm so into the story that they are telling. Next week looks to be the final episode of the current arc and it's bittersweet. I don't feel that they can top the storytelling of this arc.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:15 am

I had no idea they were even doing new Dragonball anime.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:26 pm

The mindblowing success of Battle of Gods prompted the development of the new series Dragonball Super. It airs weekly and just aired episode 66, with the end nowhere in sight.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:50 pm

Doesn't it also retcon DragonBall GT as well?

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:37 pm

GT was never officially part of the story as it has no manga basis, (Super has a manga) so it can't really be considered a retcon.

endless
Hall Of Famer

Post by endless » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:41 pm

I really miss Witch Hunter Robin. I would love to see a reboot or a live action adaption of it.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:33 pm

Been watching something called Evangalion with a friend of mine. It's one of the rare anime that had no manga to proceed it. The entire series only lasts 26 episodes, intentionally so, with movies to end the series.

Without spoilers, humans are being attacked by an old enemy from the past and the humans now have technology (robots) to fight back, but only under very specific circumstances. The story intentionally starts off vague and you have lots of questions. Why are they attacking? Why the specific circumstances to pilot the robots? Why are certain people the way they are?

It's quite old, I believe it was made in the mid 90s but some of the animation is beautifully done for that time period. We're currently on episode 13 (so the halfway point) and the tension is getting extraordinarily high. This is the sort of thing that can easily be binge watched, and we would have already done so if so much other stuff wasn't getting in the way of tv time.