Assassin's Creed: The Thread.

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Assassin's Creed: The Thread.

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:11 pm

Assassin's Creed. A gaming franchise that's growing into more than just a slew of fantastic games by the folks at UbiSoft.

There's Graphic novels on the shelves, a movie slated for a June, 2015 release: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2094766/?ref_=nv_sr_1 and even a fairly huge encyclopedia on Assassin's Creed's story thus far.

It's no secret that it's one of my favourite game franchises, perhaps superseded by only Final Fantasy and Suikoden. I have all of the titles available of X-Box 360, which leaves only a few titles made for the portable consoles (the latest of which, AC III: Liberation will be released in HD form on X-Box live early in the new year) and having taken a gander at the comics, will likely be picking them up as well.

But what about the rest of you? I know Slim likes the AC series, and some of you have played some of the earlier titles, but there has to be some others who enjoy it, perhaps even as much as I do.

Currently, I'm playing through AC IV: Black Flag. I've had it since Friday when my local game shop owner slipped me a copy that came in early on the promise I kept it quiet and didn't go on X-Box Live with it. Easy promises to keep, especially the latter.

As for the game itself, from what I've played so far, I have to give it a solid 8.5/10. It took the AC III engine, which I feel was inferior to the well oiled machine that was the engine of all the previous titles from AC I to AC II: Revelations; however, the team behind AC IV not only listened to the complaints with III, but built on them tenfold. AC IV flows so much smoother than its predecessor, most (and I do say most) of the little quirks that Connor had are not present in Edward. The tendency to jump on everything is largely gone, with only minor instances of unwanted climbing that are largely negligible; the game is harder, for all the right reasons, instead of just being a frustrating experience with the controls that III sometimes ran into, it's got some great challenge to it, with trying to meet the optional goals of each chapter.

Plus, compared to III, and even II, the game world is HUGE. The sailing aspect of III is a focal point, as you would expect with a title like Black Flag and a main character who's a pirate. The sailing gives you a very sandboxed feel, and there's a lot to do on the sea, versus III where you had set missions, that once completed, meant you couldn't go to sea anymore, apart from repeating those missions. In IV, you can pillage and plunder the other ships, forts and plantations to your delight, making a shit ton of improvements to your ship, self and other things I won't spoil along the way.

The story so far is quite interesting, there is a framing device again, and it's far more intriguing than the past offerings; very much a new and well laid out experience from what I've seen so far. The Caribbean world's story is equally mysterious and intriguing, whoever wrote this one's story gets a tip of the hat for creating a great pacing that leaves you wondering after every mission where everything is leading. Nothing is as it seems, and it's got twists and turns and even a main character who's alliances are entirely uncertain. I look forward to seeing where this is going.

Anyway, feel free to chime in with your own input, stories and memories of your experiences playing/reading through the universe of Assassin's Creed.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Re: Assassin's Creed: The Thread.

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:34 pm

Not related, but next time the discussion dies down, a discussion on our favorite franchises sounds outstanding.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Well, we can talk about the individual franchises, there's a Final Fantasy thread halfway down the page. I'd start a Suikoden one, but aside from Greg, and I think yourself, I don't know any one else that's played the games.

I'm amazed there's not a Zelda thread yet, that's another favourite of mine.

And I know the dime-a-dozen shooter franchises have some fans here. As does GTA.

Not to overlook the older Nintendo franchises like Donkey Kong, Mario, Metroid and PokeMon.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:00 pm

Holy derp, I just noticed that this is a separate thread from the normal "Last game you played" thread. Disregard my prior statement haha.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:26 pm

So, still into AC IV, still haven't touched Arkham Origins at all.

This game is just sooo much fun to play. There's just so much more to do than III, so much more depth to the side quests and customization of character and ship alike. It's a major step forward from III. One thing I really enjoy is that the story does involve history, but it's not all "America, FUCK YEAH!" like III was with the revolution. I mean, I know that was the founding blocks of what we know now as America. But the American side wasn't the altruistic babyfaces they were made to be, and the heels weren't such total heels as made out to be either, and that's my beef with the story. There were times, despite Connor's ambition to be as honourable as Ned Stark, he was supporting a side that still upheld slavery, still persecuted and pillaged the Natives and their lands.

Edward, by contrast, might be seen as self serving, yes, he's even a dick at times, but he's not so self-righteous as Connor to think he's fighting for the definite moral good. I mean, he was fighting alongside the guys who had already invaded his land and forced their rule, to keep others from the same place from invading his lands and enforcing the same rule + taxes to the crown.

I mean, for the so called good guys, it was the British that had totally abolished slavery by 1833, it was 30 years later before the half of America that supported it had to drag the other half that didn't kicking and screaming to abolition through a civil war, for fucks sake. Meanwhile, the British Commonwealth nation of Canada to the north were helping the slaves slip away to freedom. So much for the Yanks being the good guys.

That doesn't even begin the human rights battle that went on for over a century after that fact in the U.S, but I'll leave that.

No, give me the self-aware and admittedly flawed and selfish Edward who's just trying to make it rich to win back his hot red headed Welsh lass over Mr. High and Mighty Connor.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:42 am

I played the first game. I enjoyed it, but it got quite repetitive towards the end. I had a small amount of interest in the end of the game, but never cared enough to follow it up and splash cash on the sequels. I never read reviews and haven't looked up the plot.

I couldn't think of much that ac II would be able to add that would be much different than the first. Perhaps combat might change, perhaps new weapons and skills, but it didn't seem like enough of a reason to buy the game.

Still keeping in mind the lack of review and plot reading, ac III seemed a bit better as far as different gameplay, but it also wouldn't seem appropriate to buy 3 without buying 2, and neither of them seem like OMG GOTTA BUY DIS games.

Lots of positive comments about number four and it seems like it might be a game worth buying, but can one jump from one to four and skip two and three? (I'm not in a situation to buy games right now, so replies don't need to try to sell the game to me). It's a genuine curiosity, nothing more.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:48 am

You could. The chronological order of the games is:

AC I - 1190 in the Medi sea.
AC II - 1450's in Italy
AC II: Brotherhood, same era, but just in Rome.
AC II: Revelations, same era, in Turkey
AC III - American Revolution (1770's to 80's)
AC IV - 1715.

So, I, II, III and IV all have different protagonists, set in entirely different era's. II is a big leap forward from I, which was sorta linear, but II is much more free roaming with much more added weaponry and flowing control, with side tasks to do, the other two entries in AC II play into those tasks as well.

There's also a framing story that starts in AC I and runs to AC III, but in IV, it's largely a whole new ballgame, so you wouldn't be missing that and wondering what happened. So yeah you could just jump into IV.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:33 pm

True, though from what I have read things could be interesting going forward. I still haven't finished Black Flag yet (its hard to with Arkham Origins, WWE 2K14, and starting tomorrow Pokemon Y all taking up my playing time).

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:32 pm

We have an Entertainment forum? Since when?

A couple responses to things:
AndyF1069 wrote:I played the first game. I enjoyed it, but it got quite repetitive towards the end. I had a small amount of interest in the end of the game, but never cared enough to follow it up and splash cash on the sequels. I never read reviews and haven't looked up the plot.

I couldn't think of much that ac II would be able to add that would be much different than the first. Perhaps combat might change, perhaps new weapons and skills, but it didn't seem like enough of a reason to buy the game.
The combat didn't change very much from I to II, nor the overall feel of gameplay. They cleaned it up a bit, but that's it. What they spent ALL of their energy on was building engaging characters and story, and boy did they deliver. AC I is linear, and barely scratches the surface on the actual story. You get enough to make the end game satisfying, but there are no details on anything that's going on. With the AC II games (of which there are three), the game world(s) just blossom. It goes from being a fun ninja game, to being a role playing game (wherein your character is basically a ninja).
El Canuck wrote:I'd start a Suikoden one, but aside from Greg, and I think yourself, I don't know any one else that's played the games.
I've played two of them, finishing neither. I now own Suikoden 3, but haven't taken it for a real spin, yet. There's beyond nothing that I could contribute to that discussion.

As for Assassin's Creed, I've played the first four games (I through II:Rev), and absolutely adore them. The story of Ezio is really powerful, and while I'm sceptical that anyone else will come along that's as endearing as him, I'm definitely invested in the series. I'm hoping to find AC III in my price range, soon.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:00 pm

Me and Nucks agree that the one of the biggest faults of AC III is the main Assassin Connor. The guy was cool but was kinda naive, way too serious, and had a one-track mind. Compared to Ezio he was boring. The story was good, especially the dialogue between him, Charles Lee, and Connor's father Haythem. Plus it took a while to get into the meat of the game, but there was a fun twist right in the beginning that made it worth it.

As far as Black Flag goes, Grandpa Edward seems more fun, worldly, and looking for two things that most straight men are looking for, 1. Money, 2. Women, 3. A good drink/adventure. And the game starts out quickly with the action so there is little lag time.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:07 pm

Knowing not much about AC III, I'd always figured that it would be a far more Desmond-centred story than the previous games. They put a lot of effort into establishing his character, in Revelations, so that there was an actual attachment to him, rather than him simply being a conduit for the engaging Assassins. With that in mind, it makes sense for the new Animus character to not be as individually developed, since he's the conduit to the theoretically engaging main story, happening in Desmond's world. On paper, that's a sensible way to approach the game design. Whether they delivered is an entirely different matter.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:21 pm

Well, not to spoil anything too much but I don't think we are done with Desmond, I just have a hunch that something big will take place in the next game.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:27 pm

Way to imply a spoiler that I already knew about, but that had not in any way come up yet in the thread.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:55 pm

Spoilers aside, Slim pretty much has it right with the successors to Ezio; Connor's not that much fun, as a character goes, and his story lacks the power of Ezio's because they focused too much on the American Revolution and making it all about "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" type moments rather than true character development. Connor suffered as a character and came off sort of one dimensional in kind.

Edward on the other hand, is all his own man. Instead of trying to tell the tale of a nation through the eyes of one man, they're letting one man tell his tale.

Grandpa Kenway had his shit together, Haytham and Connor could learn a thing or two from him.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:38 am

I wouldn't be too angry if they gave Haytham some type of DLC with Black Flag. Maybe they could show his early Templar days.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 2:02 pm

I think you meant Assassin days. That would be interesting, as that would place him in London.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:32 pm

The back story with Haythem is that he was a Templar from jump.
Spoiler: show
After Birch organized the attack the assault that killed Edward, he took over Haythem's study and brought him in as a Templar.
So the story would follow those days.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:09 pm

Good job spoiling it for Greg...

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:15 am

And for me, that spoiler tag contains more than AC III spoilers....

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:20 am

These fuggin' Legendary Ships in AC IV...Holy shit snacks...When I finally board one of those bastards it better be full of the little army dudes from the original Contra game, I shit you not, these fuggers are ridiculously hard. Luckily they're bonus bosses, not mandatory...Yet, anyway.