Video Game Music

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Video Game Music

Post by El Canuck » Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:15 am

Nice. I don't think I'd change much if I were to make a Zelda list of my own.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Chrissy Benny Wah
Legend

Post by Chrissy Benny Wah » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:19 am

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:58 pm

Alright, El Canuck back with another installment of Gaming Tunes, this time, we're visiting the Nintendo 64's game library. I won't be posting Zelda medley's, because Rates covered that well enough, and everyone already knows how epic that is, so we're looking at the rest of the N64 Library.

First Up: Banjo-Kazooie and Freezy Peak.

Here's a game that I always enjoyed, and finally procured a copy of last year. It never fared well over here, but I think it was a fantastic little adventure game.

Legend of the Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon - I am Impact (If TNA used this as their opening, I'd watch every episode.)

Next up is another under-appreciated game, Wave Race 64 and Dolphin Park

Ah Perfect Dark, the spiritual successor to Goldeneye and proof that even without Bond, Rare had the best FPS engine around. (still do in my opinion, none of the new shooters hold a candle to PD and Goldeneye) Anyway, here's Perfect Dark's DataDyne Extraction theme.

Speaking of Goldeneye, here's my favorite theme from that jem. Frigate.

Before commentary in wrestling games became normal, the first incarnations of 3D Wrestling games played music to fill the silence, WCW vs. nWo World Tour did a great job with it, here's one of those themes now.

To end off this installment, I'm bringing out the big guns, Mario himself. This is one of the most popular tunes from Mario 64, and with good reason. Here's Dire, Dire Docks.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Chrissy Benny Wah
Legend

Post by Chrissy Benny Wah » Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:24 pm

Banjo-Kazooie, man, I sank a lot of hours into that as a kid. Never completed it either.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:43 pm

It was a really hard game to complete at 100%. That fucking boat level!

But at least they rewarded you with a double life bar.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:44 pm

I absolutely loved Banjo-Kazooie, and I too never did manage to beat the game. I got to Gruntilda, but she was one HELL of a final boss, and, as close as I managed to come, never did beat her.

Also, if we're talking Banjo-Kazooie music, we can't leave out some classics, like Rusty Bucket Bay:

Treasure Trove Cove:

Bubblegloop Swamp:

And who can forget Mumbo's Mountain?

....damn. Now I wish I still had my N64.

Cool people vote in the Best of the Best Tournament on the Member Games forum, I hear.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:30 pm

Stumbled across this on Youtube today, thought it was kinda neat.

This one I had known about, but never actually sat down and compared the two.

Cool people vote in the Best of the Best Tournament on the Member Games forum, I hear.

Chrissy Benny Wah
Legend

Post by Chrissy Benny Wah » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:36 pm

Soundtrack made moments like these special.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:08 pm

Chrissy Benny Wah wrote:Soundtrack made moments like these special.

From what I hear, that entire game is just phenomenal, and I'm a disgrace to all gamers for having never played it. It's somewhere on my to-do list.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:39 pm

Don't feel bad, I haven't played it either.

Chrissy Benny Wah
Legend

Post by Chrissy Benny Wah » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:10 pm

The fact that it is essentially just 16 boss fights DOES take some getting over.

I mean, it's a great game, I just wish they'd made fighting the 16 colossi the centerpiece of something larger. But it's fun, incredible, influential, dramatic, with amazing music, the best PS2 graphics you're likely to find, all that jazz. The battles are truly epic. Also a lot less rare than I thought. Second hand for $5ish. Go for it.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:12 pm

It's OK for me.

It's pretty beautiful for a PS2 game, and the boss fights are exhilarating.

My main gripe is that it's boring between the fights. Some times you'll be spending over 10 minutes just riding your horse to the location. So it's kind of sluggish til you get to the actual Colassi.

Edit (because post was shown as I hit submit) ^^^ pretty much this.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:09 pm

Happy to see the banjo kazooie love, and even happier to see that I wasn't alone in not finishing the game. I first got it when I was about 8 or 9 and made the stupid mistake of swapping it with a "friend" for mario 64. Not that mario was a bad game, but naturally my friend happened to have my banjo kazooie game "stolen" when it came to swapping the games back. I have a bad habit of finding it necessary to finish any game I start no matter what, and I never did forget banjo kazooie. It was in my mind so much that at the age of 18 I ordered it from ebay just so that I could finish it (I thoroughly enjoyed playing it as a kid, so it was also a case of buying a fun game). The annoying thing is that I never did finish it. I got my ps3 at the same time that metal gear solid 4 was launched and I haven't plugged my n64 back in since and I was only up to the graveyard level. Ironically, my ps3 has since broken and it's out of warranty and I refuse to pay £110 to have it fixed. That, and I'm saving money. I keep thinking of giving my n64 a whirl again and finishing banjo kazooie, but being busy with college plus having a girlfriend who plays world of warcraft, I find myself not really having the time to just sit down and set everything up. I'll likely give it a whirl in the summer when I'm free from college. Plus I want to play conkers bad fur day again. My favourite n64 game.
Rare is such an amazing gaming company.

As for musical contributions to this thread

"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:46 pm

The lack of an edit button is quite enraging. Wanted to add the minor detail of the music being from the original n64 version.

My friend got me to try the world of warcraft trial in 2010 and I've been mad at her ever since. I heard this music track play during one of the very first dungeons and instantly fell in love and purchased the game before my trial had finished. I'm an avid music lover (not songs or lyrics, just music) and I already knew that blizzard was an excellent gaming company. I figured if the music was this good at the start, then it would only get better as I progressed.

Two years later, minus a four month break when I met my girlfriend before she got herself addicted and I'm still playing and the music is as good as always

This is one of the more recent tracks. Doesn't truly kick in until about 1:10

And this is a 12 minute collection of tracks for the final raid tier of this content patch where we fight the big evil dragon who literally destroyed the world, so the music isn't quite full of happy ponies and singing rabbits.

On an unimportant sidenote, it hurt my male pride greatly when my girlfriend picked the game up and became better at it than me in 1/4 of my playtime. I'm happy to say that this is no longer the case.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Talking WoW music, I think most everything from Icecrown Citadel was pretty epic. In particular, I was a big fan of the Gunship battle, the Crimson Hall, Sindragosa, and the final fight against the Lich King.

Also, Eversong Woods, Storm Peaks, and Karazahn will always hold special places in my heart...y'know, that part of your heart where video game music goes.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:24 pm

Well, I have nothing to add with WoW music; but here's another installment of El Canuck's VG Jukebox.

This time, we're visiting the era known as the 6th Generation.

To start things off, there was a series that started off in this generation that's had a shaky reputation. It was over hyped, and came in underwhelming, but in 2 out of 3 cases delivered a fun experience from start to finish. That dawn of that series, was Fable: Upon starting the game in the pleasant little hamlet of Oakvale, this was the first song that greeted your ears.

Next, we go to the GameCube and stop by the mystical world of Metroid: Prime.

This one brings back memories, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. This music really inserted you into the atmosphere of the middle eastern temples.

Over to Mario Kart: Double Dash, and the Rainbow Road.

Switching gears now, to one of Rockstars forgotten gems: The Warriors. Like the movie it's based on, the game had a very synthesizer heavy soundtrack. This track right here is from the mission where the group of freaks known as the HiHats chase you down after spray painting their turf.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&featu ... ZvQy9Gl9O8[/youtube]

Ending it off with my favorite RPG of this generation, Suikoden V. This is the intro song, and it hooks you right from the start.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:47 am

El Canuck wrote:

That was a much-welcome punch of nostalgia straight to the face. Fable had some awesome, awesome music.

Random Fable-related history lesson, when I first got the game I was 17-ish, and it was autumn. I'd go on lots of evening walks just for something to do, and there was one street in particular nearby that was had only one streetlight, and was full of trees that would usually cover most of the light anyways. Every time I would walk down this street at night, this song would immediately get stuck in my head.

Chrissy Benny Wah
Legend

Post by Chrissy Benny Wah » Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:41 am

Never got into Fable. Watching a friend playing it for a couple of hours consisted of nothing but him repeatedly dancing with every NPC in sight.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:04 am

Fable I, based on graphics and control to me, really felt like Microsoft's honest answer to the question "What's your consoles version of Zelda?" It felt great, looked great, had an edgy moral tone to it to push the envelope of what other games of the genre could do; but lacked an adventure RPG's biggest draw, its puzzle solving dungeons.

Fable II was a switch, fantastic game in its own right, that paid homage to the first, and felt familiar; it's had many playthroughs by me, just to see the different possible outcomes for different actions. (I always play through the first time as an absolute hero, that's my natural bend in life.)

Fable III was Fable II with a story that made you want to punch something when it got to what should of been the most rewarding part. I'm still looking for M. Night Shyamalans name in the credits, because it reeks of one of his lame twists. I haven't been able to play the game through a second time simply because of it.

If they made another Fable game (I refuse to count that Rail-shooter for the Kinect currently in development.) I'm fairly confident Peter Molyneux would refrain from over hyping it again, and have the sense to learn from the triumphs of Fable I and II and the failings of Fable III.

stonecoldnimrod
Twitter: stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:01 pm

for some reason, i'm a HUGe fan of the soundtracks from mega man, the games on the nes and the x series on the snes. if anyone wants to try something different check out these bands that do cover songs of alot of different video games:

project x (mega man 2 & 3 soundtracks)
nerd army
i fight dragons
facebook.com/houstonwrestlingradio