Game Of Thrones

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
eobversion1

Re: Game Of Thrones

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:23 am

Damn, now THAT was true greatness. Anyone who says otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

More thoughts later.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:36 am

I'm still processing the whole thing, myself. That was a heavy sixty minutes.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:54 am

Yeah, definitely that's why it's important to be reserved in your praise until something like this comes along. WOW.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:18 am

I re watched it just to take it all in the whole battle was well choreographed to perfection

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:43 am

That was pretty alright, it was

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jun 21, 2016 5:42 pm

Well, well, would you look at the sigil on that shield.

I had noticed it in the show, but I kept thinking it was a lion, because the body shape greatly resembles the lions found on house sigils of the Lannisters (albeit the wrong colours) but upon close inspection, it's a Mormont shield. So, Jon literally owes his life to little Lyanna.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:26 pm

Darn tootin'

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:16 pm

Further thoughts:

So yeah, I completely adored S06E09.

First things first, the dragons burning the fleet of ships. A true wonder. Well executed, well planned out, shot from a distinctly breathtaking perspective. Awe and danger mixed in together. Very nice. You could tell they saved a lot of budget for this episode obviously which placates my tepid reaction to earlier episodes of the season.

Also, Dany and Yara? What's going on there? I'm intrigued.

Now for the meat and potatoes.

I'm growing increasingly interested in the show, mainly because characters and coming together which helps me congeal and solidify my engagement with GOT.

The Battle of the Bastards itself was a really big step forward in more ways than one. For the first time, I felt that everyone behind the camera knew exactly what they were doing from beginning to end. I had no niggling doubts the entire time, I was immersed by the characters and the events unfolding. It was an inspired work. After doing some research I found out that both Director Miguel Sapochnik and DP Fabian Wagner worked on Hardhome which I thought was pretty good but dropped the ball a bit too often. This they nailed to the floor.

Some will find a slight few logical inconsistencies in how it unfolded but honestly, if that bothers you when they've offered you this much sheer greatness in return then good luck with your life and I will never understand you.

Some very clear connections can be drawn between this and LOTR, Rob Roy, Braveheart, Saving Private Ryan, Kubrick's Spartacus and Barry Lyndon. That's all well and good, it's very clear the director did his homework but I found the detail that went into just how ingrained into the narrative the gritty, bone-crunching dirtiness truly astounding. The pile of bodies and Jon Snow suffocating under it was a genius tableau. Fields like that in Ireland are often used for dirty Rugby matches and this reminded me exactly of that but with war and killing. The psychology of everything is just going from one gear to another the whole time from Rickon (run serpentine man!), to clueless Jon, to fired up Jon to the rescue from the Knights of the Vale and into Ramsay's defeat. That to me is a very kinetic through line with sharply focused clarity, if you want to squabble over your own personal conjecture around that then I'm afraid you're clearly missing the point. Perhaps because you simply can't or don't want to see it.

Every camera setup was precise, blocked, storyboarded, planned, distilled and brought together with powerful heft. The sound mixing and editing was also very on point especially in terms of low-frequency effects. Pretty perfect technically which is surprising especially considering how often I find it to be lacking. C'mon HBO can't you do 2.35:1 for once? It wouldn't kill you.

Finally, that ending with Sansa and the dogs, has she turned a corner? She's developing a bit of a mean streak after her liberation. She was the one who instigated the battle after all. Did she knowingly use Rickon as a pawn? Hmmmm. One has to wonder. As Goober often reminds us the show is good at a lot of things but especially when it punishes a character it really finds sadistic and cruel ways to do it that leaves you with the thought "they might have been a bad person but did not deserve that." I'm always intrigued by the whole loyalty of a hungry dog question too. That was nice.

Overall, it was an expertly done episode with scope, heft and precision in spades.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Thu Jun 23, 2016 6:10 pm

Good read eboversion look forward to more posts like that..

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:43 pm

Fantastic summary of the ninth episode, Evan.

Finale tonight, lads! The fallout of last episode is going to be intense, judging from the preview and King's Landing looks to be in for a nail-biter of a time.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:17 pm

Cersie will face judgement tonight, I wonder how she will worm her way out of it.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:25 pm

I hope to be able to write a similar review about this week's episode

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:01 pm

I'm anticipating a barn burner of a time.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:18 pm

SPOILERS from the Finale.
SpoilerShow
OH MY POOR, SWEET MARGE, WHY?!

WHHHHHYYYYY?!?!

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 4:57 am

SpoilerShow
it does not pay to be drop dead fit in westeros

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:39 am

El Canuck wrote:SPOILERS from the Finale.
SpoilerShow
OH MY POOR, SWEET MARGE, WHY?!

WHHHHHYYYYY?!?!
SpoilerShow
When you've gotta go you've gotta go I guess :(
SpoilerShow
?+L=J, we nearly have it! The King of the North!
These last two episodes have turned me from an agnostic into a believer. Fancy little thing that. Can't wait for more in a years time.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:29 am

SpoilerShow
Oh, we have it. We definitely have it

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:35 am

SpoilerShow
Upon further inspection it's mostly there alright.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jun 27, 2016 6:57 am

SpoilerShow
They didn't say all the words, but we know L = J, L was with R, and L doesn't want Robert to know about J because he'll be furious. They connected all of the dots, there's nobody else ? could be but R

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jun 27, 2016 7:07 am

SpoilerShow
Yeah, that's 100% confirmed as far as I'm concerned. It was 99% before last night's episode, now it's a done deal.