What are we reading?

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: What are we reading?

Post by El Canuck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:06 am

You'll also be no doubt excited to get Jon, Tyrion and Dany back again. My bet is most people's grief with this book stems from those three being absent the entire time. I felt Cersei's story alone to make the book worth it.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 11:39 am

It builds up the plot so you are excited to get back to them, now knowing more about the world.

Cersei's chapters were great though.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Hey Anne, I'd been wondering. Who do you like as a Creative Writing/Storytelling teacher/guru? I'd read stuff from Robert McKee and Dana Marks. Even a Screenwriting professor in Canada told me he though McKee was overrated and some other kiss his ass like he was Queen Elizabeth. What do you think?

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:57 pm

Robmayn wrote:Hey Anne, I'd been wondering. Who do you like as a Creative Writing/Storytelling teacher/guru? I'd read stuff from Robert McKee and Dana Marks. Even a Screenwriting professor in Canada told me he though McKee was overrated and some other kiss his ass like he was Queen Elizabeth. What do you think?
Opinions are like noses; everyone has one. :D

Some may find him "overrated," so to speak, but both McKee and Marks rank up there as some of the best from my perspective.
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:54 pm

LondonChick62 wrote:
Robmayn wrote:Hey Anne, I'd been wondering. Who do you like as a Creative Writing/Storytelling teacher/guru? I'd read stuff from Robert McKee and Dana Marks. Even a Screenwriting professor in Canada told me he though McKee was overrated and some other kiss his ass like he was Queen Elizabeth. What do you think?
Opinions are like noses; everyone has one. :D

Some may find him "overrated," so to speak, but both McKee and Marks rank up there as some of the best from my perspective.
Okey, just wanted to know your opinion. I am reading McKee right now, I was gonna do it anyways, even if that teacher liked him or not. Is one of those things you need to read even if you don't like so you can really have a real based opinion. So far so good. Good explanation of the Plots Triangle.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Jama7301 wrote:It builds up the plot so you are excited to get back to them, now knowing more about the world.

Cersei's chapters were great though.
Indeed, you can clearly see Martin slowing down and fleshing out the plot from midway through book three and into book four; once he decided to go beyond three books.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 27, 2014 12:35 am

Just finished the latest of Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch novels "The Black Box". Quite the quick read, all said, took me two days, about 450 pages paperback. Always been a fan of Connolly's since I first read The Black Echo about a decade ago (that one is 20 years old as it is) I would say that it's standard fare, not one of the very best Bosch novel he's done, like Black Echo, A Darkness More Than Night or City of Bones, but it was a very exciting read all the same.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Fri May 02, 2014 7:33 am

Textbooks :(

But soon I hope to dive into a book on the conservative's tactics to downplay climate change.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Fri May 02, 2014 5:27 pm

El Canuck wrote:Just finished the latest of Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch novels "The Black Box". Quite the quick read, all said, took me two days, about 450 pages paperback. Always been a fan of Connolly's since I first read The Black Echo about a decade ago (that one is 20 years old as it is) I would say that it's standard fare, not one of the very best Bosch novel he's done, like Black Echo, A Darkness More Than Night or City of Bones, but it was a very exciting read all the same.
I read "The Narrows" in that series. It was alright, I hadn't read the first one though, I think it was called "The Poet" or something like that. That actually was probably the last thing I read.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri May 02, 2014 5:42 pm

The last thing I read was Jimmy's post.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Fri May 02, 2014 5:45 pm

I didn't know you knew how to read.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri May 02, 2014 5:46 pm

I don't. I just know how to bullshit really well.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun May 04, 2014 8:25 pm

Little Jimmy wrote:
El Canuck wrote:Just finished the latest of Michael Connolly's Harry Bosch novels "The Black Box". Quite the quick read, all said, took me two days, about 450 pages paperback. Always been a fan of Connolly's since I first read The Black Echo about a decade ago (that one is 20 years old as it is) I would say that it's standard fare, not one of the very best Bosch novel he's done, like Black Echo, A Darkness More Than Night or City of Bones, but it was a very exciting read all the same.
I read "The Narrows" in that series. It was alright, I hadn't read the first one though, I think it was called "The Poet" or something like that. That actually was probably the last thing I read.
Ah yes, the Narrows, that was a good one. Harry Bosch is the character but it ties up loose ends of The Poet, Blood Work and a Darkness More than Night. It's a big cacophony of Connelly's best known characters.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun May 04, 2014 11:36 pm

I enjoyed the book, and while it was interesting, my overall feeling after reading it was that I had missed a lot by not reading the prior books.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun May 04, 2014 11:53 pm

They certainly would have made it more satisfying.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu May 22, 2014 9:43 pm

Picked up the first book (The Eye of the World) in Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series, looking forward to giving it a read.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Tue May 27, 2014 3:32 am

Fuck yeah. That was one of my favorite books in high school. Shame I only managed to read the first three, and the part of book... 8? The library didn't have the in-between stuff.

Aaaand now this talk of high-school favorites makes me wish I had a copy of Wizard's First Rule by Goodkind...

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue May 27, 2014 4:04 am

It got off to a fucked up enough start, anyway.

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:36 pm

Have about 20 pages left in Stephen King's Gunslinger thanks to Goober's recommendation in the GOT thread.

Almost stopped reading after the first 20 pages or so, that how slow it starts. Im glad I didn't though, quite a solid read.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:40 pm

I'm about 60% of the way through A Storm of Swords, the third book in George R. Martin's A Song of Ice & Fire. Just made it through the Red Wedding, so that was... pleasant....