What are we reading?

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
K-Dogg
Rookie

Re: What are we reading?

Post by K-Dogg » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:55 pm

Just started reading Stephen Kings 11/22/63. Haven't read a King book in a while so im looking forward to it. It hasnt dissapointed so far.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:05 pm

K-Dogg wrote:Just started reading Stephen Kings 11/22/63. Haven't read a King book in a while so im looking forward to it. It hasnt dissapointed so far.
I've been debating picking that up actually. From what I understand, the idea is that it's kind of like a Stephen King twist on Sound of Thunder, right?

Cool people vote in the Best of the Best Tournament on the Member Games forum, I hear.

K-Dogg
Rookie

Post by K-Dogg » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:07 pm

RatedRSuperstar wrote:
K-Dogg wrote:Just started reading Stephen Kings 11/22/63. Haven't read a King book in a while so im looking forward to it. It hasnt dissapointed so far.
I've been debating picking that up actually. From what I understand, the idea is that it's kind of like a Stephen King twist on Sound of Thunder, right?
Yeah sorta. Havent gotten too deep in yet, but the perils of time travel is definitely the main focal point. Im a big King fan so once i heard the premise I jumped at it.

DJ
Mid Carder

Post by DJ » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:38 am

K-Dogg wrote:
RatedRSuperstar wrote:
Yeah sorta. Havent gotten too deep in yet, but the perils of time travel is definitely the main focal point. Im a big King fan so once i heard the premise I jumped at it.
I'm about 1/3 way through the book right now, stopped because I just got Dean Koontz's new novel, 77 Shadow Street, from my local library, so I'm on a time restraint with it lol. I never buy Koontz's books right away, cause they can be hit or miss. Thankfully 77 Shadow Street is one of the more better recent books.

As for 11/22/63, I really like it. Of course, through 800+ pages it can sag here and there just like "Under The Dome" did, but as a fan who has read pretty much every book, King's work in the end is always enjoyable for me.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 11:37 am

just finished inheritance by Christopher paolini it is the final book in the eregon saga and i really enjoyed it

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:21 pm

Reached the fifth and most recently released of A Song of Fire and Ice series; A Dance with Dragons The sixth and final installations are still being written, and given the time elapsed between releases it could be a long time before the series reaches its conclusion.
Aussie_Wolf wrote:Seven Deadly Sins by Slipknot/Stonesour frontman Corey Taylor
How was that? Would you recommend it?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:34 am

My sister grabbed me Stephen King's 11/22/63 for my birthday, and being the quick reader I am, I already finished it. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and honestly I'd rank it pretty high up there as far as King novels go. Being a King book, I had high expectations, and I wasn't at all let down.

In a historical setting, King's notorious attention to detail (something that even as a big fan of him I tend to be a bit critical of) was actually very welcome, and it really delivered the feel of the era in a way that I've never seen it done before. I read that King had done a painstaking amount of research on the era before writing the book, and it definitely shows.

Despite being based on time travel, the novel had a distinctly less supernatural and more real feel to it than most of King's work, and it really delivered and, in that aspect, felt almost darker in some of the more gruesome parts. At the same time, it was peppered throughout with very slight, just noticeable enough to make you crack a smile bits of dark humour; the didn't really lighten the mood per se, but were well placed and quite welcome.

King's character work has always been top-notch, and with the added realism of the story (and inclusion of actual historic characters) you come away almost feeling like none of the characters were fictional at all.

If you've ever enjoyed any of Stephen King's writing, I'd recommend whole-heartedly that you give this one a whirl.

Cool people vote in the Best of the Best Tournament on the Member Games forum, I hear.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:05 am

I bought that book, i only read the first 50 or so pages unfortunately, i'm more interested in reading about how much Heroin and Cocaine 80's Rock and Heavy Metal musicians did.

RatedRSuperstar
Hall Of Famer

Post by RatedRSuperstar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:26 am

I read I Am America (And So Can You!) over the weekend. I've never laughed so hard while reading a book. Highly recommend, if satire is your thing.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:39 am

Now go get Game of Thrones, Rates, 1st of 7 (last two forthcoming) in the A Song of Ice and Fire series. You'll thank me.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:52 pm

How To Archer, about to finish it. Absolutely hilarious.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:50 pm

Rereading A Song of Ice and Fire, on A Storm of Swords again, picking up a lot of the little things I missed first time through.

Aftermath
Mid Carder

Post by Aftermath » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:21 pm

Dark Tower series-Stephen King

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:35 pm

Finished Spartacus: Swords and Ashes by J.M Clements. Needed to read something light, still haven't finished A Storm of Swords, had to put it down for a while. This book was a quick read for me (I read slow), was like watching an episode of the TV series.

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:19 pm

Wow, was this thread forgotten or what?

Finished 100 Years of Solitude a Year Ago. Started reading Kyballion, but decided to give it a rest. It takes a lot of time to grasp that book how it needs to be.

Right now I started STORY by Robert McKee. Expecting to revisit some scripts after finishing it.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:18 am

Recently finished book 4 in the Game of Thrones series, and finished re-reading Scar Tissue, Anthony Kurdis' autobiography.

Now reading a book about how earth could die by Phil Plait. Best book for a class I ever kept.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:39 am

I'm beginning my second Pierre Berton historical novel. This one is entitled "The National Dream", the first of two books on the building of the Canadian Pacific Railway.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:23 am

Just finished reading "Tampa" by Alissa Nutting. It's...intense, to say the least.
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:57 pm

What did you think of A Feast for Crows, Jama?

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31 pm

I liked it a lot. I feel that splitting up what would've been Book 4 into two separate books was smart. It fleshed out the world a ton, in just one book, simply because we got so many fresh perspective points. It'll make A Dance With Dragons that much more enjoyable, because of the extra world-building done in this one.