"Last Film you watched" chain

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Re: "Last Film you watched" chain

Post by Big slim » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:43 am

Get Out is the best released movie of 2017. It is a new horror movie classic! Go see it!

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:38 pm

While visiting with the GF, we went to see the Great Wall. I enjoyed it. The visuals were spectacular, pacing was steady, the story, while a little basic, was expounded on well enough. The acting was solid, though I still don't know what accent Matt Damon was attempting. I guess he didn't want to try for a phony European accent and just tried to make his American accent sound as though he were an American in the old world. With that said, the performances of Pedro Pascal (who you may know as Oberyn Martell from Game of Thrones) Lu Han and Andy Lau really stood out. To me though, the real star of the movie was Tian Jing. While the story centered around Damon's character, if I were to have wrote it, I might have omitted his character entirely, or at least relegated him to a supporting role. Tian Jing's character, Commander Lin Mae, is the real heart of the whole movie and it should have been written to reflect as such. For as progressive as Hollywood likes to appear, the upper crust calling the shots are still reluctant to let anyone besides a white male lead a cast, even when a movie is based in ancient China. It doesn't do themselves or the movie any favours or Matt Damon either, in this case, as it makes his whole role seem tacked on to appease a bunch of old curmudgeons clinging to their dated marketing notions.

For an example of how I might have done it, read on, but be forewarned of spoilers (spoiler tags don't currently work properly, for some reason)

Cut Matt Damon's character entirely. His heroic traits now belong to Torvar, Pedro Pascal's character. He becomes the lone survivor of his party that goes beyond the Great Wall, manages to stumble back to the Great Wall after being attacked by those canine beasts that live beyond in search of "black powder" (gunpowder) In this scenario, it's him that has the magnet that becomes the Deus ex machina. Same plot points up until Torvar discovers Willem Dafoe living at the Great Wall. Dafoe tries to convince Torvar to leave, Torvar is conflicted, as he feels he should help. All while Dafoe is trying to talk Torvar into it, he also interacts with Lin Mae and he is inspired by her selfless nature, her leadership abilities, and her skills as a soldier. While Torvar initially agrees to Dafoe's plan, he ultimately decides against it at the last second and gets knocked unconscious where Matt Damon's character did. By this point, Lin Mae is given command of the entire wall, as per the script. Plot proceeds as normal, with the discovery of the tunnel beneath the wall and Lin Mae cutting (Matt Damon's character originally, now Torvar) loose and him asking to come along and help out anyway, as penance, if nothing else, at this point. Torvar acts as her support during the final battle and merely aides her in doing what Matt Damon's character had done.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Feb 27, 2017 9:40 pm

Hard Target by Van Damme it was one of his first films that I saw for the first time well that I remember
about the movie it was a joy ride :)

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:41 am

Star Wars Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.

It's been a few years since I've watched this. Some things I've picked up on which I'm surprised I didn't pick up on the last time I watched.

The green screen is very obvious, especially in the pod race
Some acting is quite stiff
The majority of scenes involving Jar Jar just aren't necessary
Some scenes are far too long, particularly the initial underwater scene in Naboo.
For the most part, the music doesn't seem "Star Wars-y". I guess with my love of the music in Episode 7, this was more apparent in this viewing.
Anakin is portrayed as a brilliant and gifted child, the only human who can pod race. How can he be so clueless about the space ship he is in?

There is plenty of good about the movie however. The pod race is fantastic, the connections that are made between the characters to establish the story that we already knew in 4,5 and 6 are great, especially those made by Anakin. With full knowledge of every movie, seeing Palpatine slide himself into the Chancellor position adds to his "menace" and genius. He started the war that caused Padme to make it to Coruscant, which led to him getting the Chancellor position and we know how that ends up. Duel of the fates is a fantastic piece of music, despite it not being Star Wars-y. The lightstaber battle is also brilliant, especially the final 60 seconds between Obi Wan and Maul.

Not an amazing movie, but not poor by any means.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 1:23 pm

Attack of the Clones? More like attack of the CGI. This is brutally bad to watch at times, not finished yet.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 pm

Yes, AOTC was a low point for the saga.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:14 pm

Jango Fett is cool as hell. One of the highlights of the movie.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:39 pm

Finally getting to see Logan tomorrow. Looking forward to it.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:18 pm

eobversion1 wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2017 4:39 pm
Finally getting to see Logan tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
wow

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm seeing mixed reactions for Logan, but only in a positive sense. It's either mind blowingly amazing, or it's good but not great. Haven't seen any complaints.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:24 pm

That's a good thing, no film can totally please everyone. I think it's handily the best studio film I've seen since The Force Awakens. The kind of release I was craving all last year and never got. It's very definitely worth seeing.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:33 pm

I rewatched High School High during a boring sunday afternoon which I got affected by the time change and my over sleeping...
First time i've seen the movie in over 5 years. Always a joyride to watch :)

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:28 am

Just came from the 2nd viewing of Logan. Still hits home and is enjoyable, a new classic in the superhero genre.

I also saw Kong: Skull Island today, not a bad cheesy monster movie. I am intrigued by the building of a monster universe with Kong and Godzilla going head to head.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Mar 13, 2017 12:29 am

And on a related note, my second blog post is up and it's an overview of my thoughts on Logan. Check it out at machomars.blog!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 5:19 am

Indeed Slim, Logan was truly great. Raw and powerful but elegiac at the same time. Beltrami's music with clear influence from Morricone and John Barry's score Midnight Cowboy was especially moving particularly towards the end of the film. I don't expect to see much like it for the rest of the year.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Haven't watched a whole lot of movies lately. Recently got Netflix and been watching Prison Break and some other stuff on there.

I did manage to see Logan last night. Loved it. Very good movie as others here have said before me. I wasn't denied any gore, either. Wasn't quite expecting it to be as edgy as it was.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:25 pm

It kinda puts all other X-Men movies to shame.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:25 pm

A few films I watched recently:

The Adventures of Hajji Baba (1954)

John Derek plays a young Persian barber off to seek his fortune, who runs into a Princess trying to run away from an arranged marraige. Really excellent adventure film. Great locations, sets, costumes, plenty of action, good acting by everyone all around, and a good story. One of the better films of it's type.

Don't Bet on Blondes (1935)

I'm always on the lookout for old films with Warren William. He came from the early era of "talkie" movies, most of which are hard to find anymore. He was a popular leading man in his day, often playing the "lovable scoundrel", but is largely forgotten now. In this film, he is a well known odds maker, running a successful betting business, who decides to move into an insurance racket. Fun film.

Sausage Party (2016)

Adult animated features are not very common, but not new. The concept here is interesting, and the animation good, but i just didn't find any of this funny. I never even got so much as a chuckle. It was crude, but what I guess is supposed to pass for jokes, just doesn't work. I thought Seth Rogan was funny in Paul, but everything else he's been involved in since I haven't cared for. Pass on this.

The Haunted Palace (1963)

From the Roger Corman Poe film series. Although it says based on a Poe story, it is one of the better implimentations of H.P.Lovecraft in the cinema. Vincent Price inherits an abandoned old mansion from a great great grandfather who the locals burned at the stake for being a warlock. Don't look in the basement!
One of the better offerings in the series, not played for humor, tight story.

The Fuller Brush Man (1948)

Red Skelton plays his usual bumbling character, this time a guy who screws up every job he gets. His last chance is to make it as a door to door salesman, and he winds up getting involved in a murder. Typical movie for Skelton, the extended warehouse chase has a load of good physical sight gags loaded with stunts and effects. Worth watching just for that scene.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:40 pm

Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

Easily the best of the prequel trilogy, but not without flaw. There's quite a lot to like though. Dooku is as awesome as ever, despite having ten seconds of screen time. The Brotherhood between Anakin and Obi Wan is well established, which makes the ending that much more powerful. Palpatine slowly manipulating Anakin - His plan was flawlessly executed, after almost 20 years since The Phantom Pain. The culling of the Jedi is always sad to watch, especially with the haunting music. The looks of confusion, shock and hurt from the Jedi in their final moments never fail to induce feels. The duel between Anakin and Obi Wan always amazes me in the parts that don't have silly environment scenes. The intensity in the first 30 seconds is jaw dropping. Seeing the emotional transformation from Anakin to Vader in the first half of the movie and the physical transformation in the second is great too, it fills in the blank that the original movies had of how Anakin turned to evil. It's a tragic story of love and betrayal.

I disliked that Grevious was introduced with no backstory. I also feel he could have been used a lot better. Padme is horribly used in this film. In the first two films of the prequels she was a badass who commanded respect and did what was right. In ROTS she's reduced to an overly emotional housewife and a stiffly acted one at that. The CGI wasn't nearly as bad as it was in AOTC, but there's still some silliness to be found. I hate the scene with Palpatine and the Jedi that confront him. The initial two strikes are far too slow, it makes it seem as if the two jedi literally waited to be stabbed. The fight between Palpatine and Mace Windu was also far too slow for two masters of their craft, which can be attributed to the age and physical condition of the actors who portrayed them. But the fight betweeen unhooded Palpatine vs Windu and the fight between hooded Sidious vs Yoda are miles apart in speed and intensity. Hooded stunt doubles can do wonders. Yet they managed to make 70+ year old Christopher Lee look like graceful and nimble, why could they not do the same trickery with Ian McDiarmid? Bail Organa is also poorly used. We have very little introduction to him in two movies, yet we are supposed to believe that he is someone of importance in the final 30 minutes, so important that he is trusted with a Skywalker child. There's also the infamous George Lucas writing. "From my point of view the Jedi are evil". Urgh.

All things considered though, the dislikes aren't too serious and don't detract from the enjoyment of the movie.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:44 pm

AndyF1069 wrote:I disliked that Grevious was introduced with no backstory.
They did a strange thing with that movie, Lucasfilm released the novelization of the movie with a slew of tie-in toys almost a month prior to the film's theatrical release. WalMart promoted it heavily. I had read the entire book before I saw the film, and was aware of a lot of the backstory and some obscure references made in the film. I felt I understood the story better, but I still believe a film should stand on it's own.

I do not remember if they released the book prior to Attack of the Clones or not. I had hoped they would do that with the newer films, but I guess Disney wasn't having any of that.

And speaking of which, I saw it on some website that Rogue One br/dvd release is April 5, but Amazon is still not taking pre orders.??
The Force Awakens br/dvd was already out by this time last year.