Last video game you played- chain

Movies, Video Games, TV, more.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Last video game you played- chain

Post by El Canuck » Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:42 pm

Picked up WWE 2K18 on Black Friday sales for half price. Just got a chance to play it this evening.

Thoughts so far:

- Handles like 2K16 (the last one I played) for the most part.

- It's now more difficult to hit reversals and they coupled that with a limited reversal system (you can only do five, then you have to wait for a meter to fill up again before you can do another. This achingly slow meter can fill all the way back to five, but it takes forever. So, if you have no energy/health and no reversals, your match is over. You can't do anything, literally. Lost an Elimination Chamber match because I was depleted of health and reversals, so I couldn't get up and just got destroyed on the ground until they just pinned me. No finisher, no fanfare, just ground grapples that I could do nothing about. I'm guessing this system is to make it more fair for new players against seasoned players in online mode, as now the most experienced players can't just spam the reversal button. I guess, I dunno.

- Apparently the submission system is altered too, from the counter-intuitive wheel present in 2K16, but I haven't encountered that yet.

- The graphics are better, but not, if that makes sense. They improved certain aspects, but the crispness leaves the animations a little odd and screws with the hit detection mechanics. It loses fluidity a little, I guess is what I'm saying.

- Haven't gotten to dive into the creation suite yet, but it looks like there's a few new editing tools.

- The roster is MASSIVE and unlocking characters and so forth is simplified with an in-game currency that you are awarded from playing matches in any mode. I like that.

I'll add more thoughts as they come up.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:30 pm

I adore my switch so much. Been playing Stardew Valley on it, and it's so easy to just pick up, play for anywhere from 10 minutes to 3 hours, then pop it back into the dock to use on the TV or to charge next time.

Mario Odyssey has one of the purest moments of joy about halfway through the game, and the post 'final' level level is the best callback I've seen (Suck it, every Sonic game that recycles Green Hill and Chemical Plant Zones).

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:22 am

Managed to find a SNES Classic at a local store, so I've been playing with that lately. Reliving Earthbound for the first time in a decade.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:23 pm

It's worth it pretty much just for the RPG's packed in to it, Earthbound especially so.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:34 pm

After first glance, Star Fox 2 is WILDLY ambitious for a 1995 game.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:34 pm

I've been hearing mixed things on it.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:44 am

So I haven't played it mind you. So this is what I've got so far. I unlocked it after beating the first level of Star Fox, then fired it up and sat through the opening and pre-mission stuff.

You have to protect Corneria from Andeross' invasion. He'll be launching missiles from planets in the sector, while his fleet moves in. You control the 6 pilots in the game, and try to A) Get rid of the missile outposts, and B) stop the fleet at various places. And the different ships have different stats and special weapons.

Not sure if it's any good yet though. Will report back with more information.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 03, 2017 11:43 am

Six pilots? Above the original four?

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:07 pm

Yup. Looks like you pick the one you want to fly, as well as a wing man too.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:41 am

Mike Tyson's Punch-Out for nes, I got to Bald Bull in the world circuit, struggling to KO the fucker.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:41 am

Picked up both Assassin's Creed: Origins and Shadow of War from Best Buy yesterday during the Boxing Day sales. Also checked out the sales of a local game shop and got WrestleMania Challenge for the NES. A good haul in my books.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:30 pm

I bought a mini super nintendo that has 22 original snes games, I have played street fighter ii but right now I dont know how to exit
the game to play a different one but I will in time thow.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 pm

Good luck
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:01 pm

Yakuza 0 is fantastic and a good, wild ride.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:01 am

Good stuff, Isrs.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 9:50 pm

Finished Yakuza 0, which was a friggin' trip.

Picked up Monster Hunter World, and Okami HD for the PS4. This marks the... *counts* 4th copy of Okami in my apartment.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:44 pm

Alright, it's been a bit, so here's some updates.

Monster Hunter World is the first Monster Hunter game that has stuck with me. Put more time into this one than the other two I've played combined.

Finished Golf Story for the Switch, which was a charming 6-10 hour Golf RPG.

Been working on my first playthrough of Super Metroid.

Into the Breach is a game made by the people behind FTL: Faster than Light, and maaaan, this is one of those games that I think about, even when not playing it. The game is very transparant about how things work, and what the enemies are going to do (it literally tells you which attack, what square is targeted, how much damage it'll do, there's no miss chance for attacks), and it's up to you on your turn to interrupt or intercept the attacks, by either killing them or moving them around the map. If you knock an enemy over one tile, it could make their ranged attack go just wide of the city they targed, or it may even hit one of their allies instead. It's such a fun game.