the Board style themes?

Post your comments, questions, and suggestions for WrestleView.
Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Re: the Board style themes?

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:14 pm

Probably.

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:19 pm

Greg will be named the new admin and add my theme

or I could possible drive him nuts to but I think he could hold out on me thow.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:32 pm

Even if I were an Admin, I don't have the first clue how to make a board theme, or upload one, or whatever the process is.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:39 am

You’re really not helping things, isrs. Let the themes go for the time being.

While I agree with some of what Nucks is saying, I don’t echo all of it. For the sake of taking this discussion down the path of mature discourse, rather than a witch-hunt, I’ll make the following points:

- I don’t think it’s necessary for Tom to step down. I don’t know if he already has, but giving up his position as admin really doesn’t fix anything. It might even worsen the problem. The issue here has to do with getting in a new admin, rather than running the old ones out of town. I personally don’t care who has that power, as long as one of them is active on the forum.

- This is a deeper issue than simply adding themes to the forum. I have a life and don’t lose sleep because certain forums don’t have an edit button or because there’s no black-on-white theme. That doesn’t mean that it’s not nice to know that there’s someone here on a regular basis to whom we can voice our concerns regarding these small issues.

- Regardless of whether or not he still works for the main site, I think TVS had a responsibility of care to the forum (just as Paul and Hunter do) until it was made clear here that he no longer wants to/is able to. I rarely visit the main page anymore, so had no idea that there had been a change in staff. If he had made that point from the beginning yesterday, I would have been fully understanding.

- Making Greg a mod was a substantial step in the right direction. There have been a lot of positive changes since he assumed that position. For the sake of having someone around on a day-to-day basis who has the power to make bigger changes to the forum, I sincerely do hope that Paul Nemer returns, or delegates power to someone trustworthy. I’d nominate Greg, were he willing to accept the task and receive the necessary training in order to bring his skills up to speed.

I think we’re all quite patient people, even isrs. But when more than six months pass by without a single appearance from any of the admins, I think people are within their rights to push for someone else’s name to be coloured red.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:03 am

Let's not forget OneManX as a Moderator, as well. He's not as visible in discussions, but he has been active in the role.

The feelings of the membership are clear, and I'll carry that message to Paul and the rest of the leadership structure. You've all had the patience of saints, and I'd like to ask you for a little more, no matter how difficult. I'm committed to doing whatever it takes to make this the best forum it can be, for everyone.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:54 am

TVS deleted his account.

Anyway, let's move forward from this. We need new admins that are actually interested in being here, posting here and maintaining this place. TVS, Hunter and Paul either don't want to be here or don't have time to be here, whichever. Either way, they've sat on roles of actually having the power to do more than moderate this place and refused to put a regular, committed, responsible poster in the position. Greg is a fantastic mod, he keeps things cleaned up around here and deals with whatever issues arise that are within his abilities to deal with, both in forum controls and being a general peacekeeper.

HOWEVER. We need someone in admin power that can work within the controls and structure of the forum, that has the time and the will to do so. TVS, Hunter and Paul are the old boys club and the old boys club don't want to share that ability for some reason and it seems as I said earlier, would rather let the ship sink than let someone else have the helm. If the two that don't own the forum can't/won't, then they need to go and give it to someone who does. Did I say TVS needed to delete his account entirely? No. Do I think both he and Hunter need to lose their powers? Well, if they don't want them, why should there be an issue with keeping them? Do we need inactive Admins? If you ran a business and two managers quit and stopped showing up to work, would you let them keep the keys to the business and never put anyone else in their vacant positions just so they can show up from time to time, let themselves in and say "Wow, this place is still in business?"

I personally have experience as an admin, I don't know html code aside from the very basics, I don't know how much knowledge of code is required, my gut says little for handling the structural properties of the forum, so while I can't build us a new theme, I could and would be willing to handle the regular duties of admin though. And I know that Greg said he didn't aim to be admin, I would definitely elevate him to the role if Paul was dead set against putting me there or wanted more than one active admin.

But for argument's sake, here's what I would propose:

Admin:
Paul Nemer
El Canuck
Greg_McNeish

Moderators:
TheLyonTamer
OneManX
GooberBM

A simple three man structure under each bracket, it should be more than enough to operate this place without issue. Get Nemer on that black on white theme and I'll never bother the man again pending a total emergency with the forum. He can be the silent owner and do whatever it is he pleases and as between Greg and I, we could manage everything and Tamer, X and Goob below that would ensure that someone was almost always around to deal with nearly anything that could arise.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:19 am

Err. I'm not putting in for an admin simply because I prefer my trolling ways and wouldn't want to get serious for the task. I do actually have a fair bit of experience with phpBB, though. I actually have the software installed on my HD and also have experience with it live from when I used to host a site for my cousin. I know it in and out. I've said this before and I keep hearing about Paul needing to "build" a style. That's a crock.

You don't have to build styles for this software, you download them from professional designers who create free open source templates for the phpBB3 forum software. I have uploaded/installed styles several times. Its like 5 minutes work. It is here too, contrary to whatever Greg thinks. The only separate work needed is to add the banners and code from any custom modifications. This board is NOT modification heavy, this I can tell, it's basically the standard install. So it'd only be an extra 5-10 minutes on top of that, at most.

You can find all kinds of styles on different phpBB3 demo sites, like this one that is set this this exact style this board is using right now: http://demo.phpbb3styles.net/MW2

Use the dropdown list and you can look at all kind of different available styles. Then you download said styles, upload to the "styles" folder in your phpBB directory via ftp software, like FileZilla for example, then you come on the board, go in your admin panel and enable it. As I said, its like 5 minutes. Paul doesn't have to "build" a freaking style. Take my word for it. If he can't or won't build his own template for the main sites, he sure as hell wouldn't have the skills or the time to do so here.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 8:27 am

I had figured that it wouldn't be too difficult. I knew it couldn't be as hard as it was made to seem, given my own experience with operating under Proboards. I couldn't figure why, with such tools like phpBB and Proboards that someone would try to build forums from scratch with code or why it would be so hard.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:28 am

Is Quinn still an admin? His name's in red.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:33 am

No. His name is just red.

TVS
Curtain Jerker

Post by TVS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:18 pm

El Canuck wrote: TVS, Hunter and Paul are the old boys club and the old boys club don't want to share that ability for some reason and it seems as I said earlier, would rather let the ship sink than let someone else have the helm.
Who said I didn't want to share anything? Everything you are complaining about is up to Paul... I added styles, he decided to get rid of them. I said I don't have time to waste on this forum, he never took filled my spot. How is any of this on me?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 1:46 pm

There's a level of responsibility on you here as an admin. You have contact with Paul, even Greg can't seem to get in touch with him regularly and he's one of the only people with any power around here on a regular basis, you could very well have said to Paul that you have no time/will to spend here and would like someone else to take your position. You could have spoke up, but you didn't, you just disappeared.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:07 pm

If we added new mods/admins I'd hope they were people who were fully committed to Wrestling. Especially the WWE forum where the largest percentage of new users post and is the main section of the board, even if it's not the most active... And it wasn't just a power thing cause you think you deserve it, for some reason. Like awarding half the fellowship with mod status just because they're friends, or whatever. Like Tamer, really? I love Tamer, I don't see what benefit we'd get from him being a mod, though. He rarely posts in any of the other forums and doesn't follow much wrestling nowadays... Which is still the central topic of the site. I'd be more apt to nominate people who were trying to make it a more fun place, for all. Ones who aren't spending most of their time in the off-topic forums and rarely following the current wrestling product. You start doing that, running more things and trying to actually promote activity and actually do something significant without losing your temper at people you don't agree with, I think it'd help your case a lot more. Nobody on that list would get my vote. Being honest.

TVS
Curtain Jerker

Post by TVS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:11 pm

El Canuck wrote:There's a level of responsibility on you here as an admin. You have contact with Paul, even Greg can't seem to get in touch with him regularly and he's one of the only people with any power around here on a regular basis, you could very well have said to Paul that you have no time/will to spend here and would like someone else to take your position. You could have spoke up, but you didn't, you just disappeared.
How do you know I didn't tell that to Paul? I haven't spoken to Paul in almost a year...

Are you illiterate or are you intentionally just making up stories about what conversations I've had with Paul or not?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:16 pm

TVS: I didn't make up anything, you just confirmed you haven't spoken to Paul in almost a year, TVS. So if you did advocate anything to Paul it was A: A year ago and/or B: Ineffectual. I gave you the benefit of the doubt of being effectual if you were to speak to him but just haven't.

Jimmy: I've lost my temper at you specifically, for one, but we're not getting into that, that's in the past. For another an interest in wrestling wouldn't be needed to administrate the WWE forum threads, I don't need to contribute to the threads, just administrate them, especially if Greg is also an admin and contributing there as he regularly does.

Finally, I advocated Tamer as being from Ireland he's in a much different time zone than the rest and could be around when the rest of us are not. I think he's got a good head on his shoulders for someone so young and could handle the responsibility of being a mod. Also, like it or not, the Fellowship are by far the most active users on the board, yourself being one of us, so we would all be among the pool of candidates based on activity alone.
Last edited by El Canuck on Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TVS
Curtain Jerker

Post by TVS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:20 pm

El Canuck wrote:TVS: I didn't make up anything, you just confirmed you haven't spoken to Paul in almost a year, TVS. So if you did advocate anything to Paul it was A: A year ago and/or B: Ineffectual. I gave you the benefit of the doubt of being effectual if you did speak to him.
So you admit that you accused me of abandoning this forum without notice despite my abdication of my "responsibilities" and that you were wrong?

TVS
Curtain Jerker

Post by TVS » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:20 pm

El Canuck wrote:the Fellowship are by far the most active users on the board
"The Fellowship"? Are you guys creating factions, now?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:21 pm

I admit I accused you of abandoning this forum, but the evidence of being entirely absent for over a year certainly backs my claim doesn't it? I do not however admit I was wrong, because I still don't see anything to the contrary that says I am. Do you have some farewell letter to Paul you're withholding?

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:23 pm

We're going around in circles here, and stopped talking about the topic long ago.

Thank you all for your input.