NHL 2015-2016 Season thread.

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: NHL 2015-2016 Season thread.

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:53 am

This one is going to a shootout!

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:59 am

Three rounds, tied at one apiece.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:02 am

Six rounds, still tied, now at two apiece.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:12 am

That'll do it in round 7.

Edmonton lose in OT, but they managed to crack 70 points this season. They finish 29th in the league (ahead of only Toronto) but it was a better season than we have seen in quite some time from Edmonton. I consider it an improvement, all things said. If they had McDavid healthy for a whole season then who knows where Edmonton would have been, but as fate would have it, they lost McDavid for most of the year and though he did rack up some serious points for a rookie when he returned, it was too little, too late to make a difference and the team floundered.

A side-by-side comparison from one season to the next:

2014-2015 Season: 24-44-14 for 62 points, 28th in the league.
2015-2016 Season: 31-43-8 for 70 points, 29th in the league.

So, they did eight points better, but did worse overall, but I would say this was a more tolerable season than we have seen from Edmonton in the last handful of years.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 12:01 pm

Looks like some serious changes need to be made before next season gets underway.

Meanwhile, crossing fingers the Isles stomp Philthy today!
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sun Apr 10, 2016 1:34 pm

Since you two like Hockey I don't know if you ever liked collecting hockey cards?
Hockey Cards first of the season really brought me back to liking the sport and
I know tones of good players and goalies around i'm amazed at myself.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Apr 10, 2016 3:41 pm

LondonChick62 wrote:Looks like some serious changes need to be made before next season gets underway.

Meanwhile, crossing fingers the Isles stomp Philthy today!
I won't argue that, but despite all of Edmonton's shortcomings and my feeling of utter frustration when things fell apart completely in February and the playoffs really slipped out of reach, this was one of Edmonton's better seasons. They had some bright spots, like that lengthy winning streak in December, and a few games here and there where they really showed their true potential as individual players and as a team. That's an upswing from the last few years when the whole team spent November onward looking collectively demoralized and defeated.

The regime change within and a few new additions (in addition to McDavid) really brought something special to Edmonton this year and for the first time since Hall was drafted, this actually felt like a rebuilding year for Edmonton and not just a waste. They brought in some solid muscle like Clendening, Maroon, Kassian and Klinkhammer who were all sorely needed on such a small, sleek team to round them out and for once Edmonton wasn't totally crushed in the offensive zone by powerhouse teams. Talbot really sought to prove that he deserves a place as head goalie and put on some remarkable performances at times. Nilsson, before he got traded, was even really starting to come into his own as a really solid goaltender and it seemed all Edmonton needed to really stand a chance was a few solid, experienced defenders to keep so much heat off the net. I've got to think that Chiarelli and the rest of the staff are trying to remedy that issue in some form, as it's easily the biggest gap in Edmonton's armour.

Otherwise, the biggest thing the Oilers faced was trying to not let their own losses defeat them. They were horrible at coming back from deficits all year, regardless of where they played and I felt my heart drop any time I was watching a game and their opponents struck the first goal early in the first period. For whatever reason, the team collectively resigned themselves to defeat in such cases and I felt I could visibly see them give up on the ice. McDavid, when he wasn't injured, actually was a great contributor in rallying his team. His energy alone was inspiring. While it seemed like RNH and Hall were ready to crawl into a shell and give up, McDavid was still playing strong and Eberle and Pouliot couldn't help but get caught up in his fever pitch. Draisaitl was equally spirited and when Kassian came on board he seemed eager to shed his reputation and be a team player with the club that gave him a chance. Then, to end the season with a ray of hope came Paddy Maroon from the Ducks. He seemed an odd choice, but man, he really stepped up to the plate as an Oiler and really brought something special to the team. Most would consider being traded from Anaheim to Edmonton to be a downward move, Maroon clearly saw it as an opportunity to prove he's a bigger fish in the pond than people have been giving him credit for.

The off season is going to be pivotal for Edmonton. I can see a few changes coming their way and I keep hearing that one or two young forwards like Yakupov might be on the trading block. They would definitely fetch some value, but whether or not Edmonton can move them for a few players they really need, namely some experienced defense, remains to be seen. Personally, if I was to pick one defender to bring to Edmonton, my choice would be Jay Bouwmeester of St. Louis. He's only 32 but was a first round draft pick in '02 and has fourteen years experience playing for Florida, Calgary and the Blues. Now, odds are St. Louis wouldn't give him up and he probably wouldn't be interested in going to Edmonton, but he's exactly the type of leader Edmonton needs in their own zone to show the young guns how to keep so much pressure off their netminder.

That's just my take on it though, take it for what it's worth.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:06 pm

Pens recall Tom Sestito and goaltender Tristan Jarry from the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins (AHL):

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?i ... t-penguins
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:35 pm

Isles up 2-1 over Philthy with six minutes to go in the first.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:38 pm

Philthy up 3-2 end of second period. I hope the Isles aren't trying to lose this thing on purpose, because Florida won't exactly be an easy team to face in the first round, especially with Jags at his finest.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:33 pm

Looks like it's going to be an Isles-Panthers and Pens-Rangers face-offs in Round One.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:39 pm

Both Olli Maatta and Marc-Andre Fleury took the ice at the UPMC Lemieux Sports Complex...a good sign?