The NHL Offseason Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

The NHL Offseason Thread

Post by LondonChick62 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:46 pm

Hockey talk doesn't always end when the season does. Here we can post things happening in the offseason.

[img]The%20Golden%20Hockey%20Stick%20results%20came%20out%20today.%20Here%20are%20the%20official%20top%2010.%20Notice%20the%20top%20five%20are%20NHL%20players:[/img]

Source: http://www.hokej.cz/zlatou-hokejku-ma-p ... at/5008441
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Re: The NHL Offseason Thread

Post by LondonChick62 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:48 pm

Don't know what happened there, but since there's no editing button...

http://www.hokej.cz/zlatou-hokejku-ma-p ... at/5008441
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jun 21, 2015 5:27 pm

Good idea, what with the draft coming up on Friday and all.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 6:45 pm

Yes, one of my motives. I'll be tuning in both online and off.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:55 pm

This shouldn't come as a surprise to anyone.

NHL players by nation:

1. Canada 495

2. USA 237

3. Sweden 77

4. Czech Republic 39

Source: http://www.iihf.com/home-of-hockey/news ... 606a6ccb6c

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:25 pm

Actually I'm quite surprised at the fact that Russia is in 5th. Though I suppose that's due to the KHL.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:05 am

Looks like the Pens are bringing another Russian on board:

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Jun 24, 2015 11:04 am

You might say that the...Plot thickens...

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:45 pm

The guy has pretty decent numbers. Hope he can produce for us.

Meanwhile, over at free agency...

Updated Status Of Penguins’ Top Free Agents

http://thehockeywriters.com/updated-sta ... ee-agents/

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:16 pm

The Pittsburgh Penguins will play their first home game of the 2015-16 season on October 13 vs. the Montreal Canadiens at 7:00 pm. The full 2015-16 schedule will be released Thursday morning.

#IsItOctoberYet

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:55 pm

So this is interesting:

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl-approves-opening- ... s-1.316896

An expansion into Vegas? Well, the city IS desperate for a major league sports team. Unlike other southern expansion cities like Phoenix, Vegas has zero existing teams. It is also a major tourist destination with a great deal of those tourists coming from Canada. So, with such a steady influx of people coming from other hockey markets in a city that's starving for a major league team, I have to wonder if Vegas could work?

Seattle, as much as I'd love to see a team there (to help fill out the West conference to even size with the East conference) seems to be plagued with poor management on the arena front who are so obsessed with avenging the loss of the Supersonics that hockey is clear off the radar.

Quebec City should get the Coyotes. Bettman's determined to hold a team in Arizona, but the Glendale city council already cancelled their arena deal, they have low home game turnout and little community support. It's the Atlanta Thrashers all over again but not AS dire, just NEARLY as dire. The only major difference is Bettman's reluctance to give up on the team. I think losing the Coyotes would really spell the failure of the southern expansion that Bettman spearheaded in the first place in the late 90's. The other teams that emerged in that same time period have done well in their respective markets (the Wild, Blue Jackets and Avalanche) and found their sufficient fanbases to keep the teams going strong, but the Coyotes never got that same footing and outside of Shane Doan they've hardly been able to put together a team worth talking about. Sure, they've scraped things together for appearances in the playoffs, but the team never appears to have morale or chemistry on their side and they've never strung together anything resembling a consistent run in the top half of the conference.

Perhaps they'll be the fit for Vegas. After all, it's not as far north as Quebec City and it's still in the desert, perhaps that's why Bettman is opening "expansion" talks.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:31 pm

Connor McDavid is headin' to Edmonton. Something of a foregone conclusion, but still, pretty exciting news nonetheless. It'll be interesting to see if this young pup lives up to the hype surrounding him.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:22 pm

Holy shit, Boston gets three back-to-back picks in the first round. (13, 14 & 5) Then Edmonton gets their second pick for the 1st round (16). C'mon DEFENSE.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:04 pm

Well, Edmonton got some defense, but in an unexpected way: My two favourite teams struck a deal!

The Isles had no picks in the draft this year until round 3 and eager to get in on the action of a solid year of rookies, brokered a last minute deal with Edmonton. They gave Edmonton a top young prospect defender in Griffin Reinhart in exchange for Edmonton's second pick in the first round (itself bartered from the Penguins). I'd say that's a fine deal between two fine organizations. For the Blue and Orange teams!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:20 am

The Oilers also unveiled a new jersey for the final season at the Rexall Place. I'm thinking this is just going to be an alternate and not their regular home jersey. I like it, it's a throwback to their WHA days, albeit without the inverted colours on the logos. Still though, it's a pretty sweet alternate and much better than the previous alternates (really dark blue with white and that flying oil drop logo. Kinda meh IMO)

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Jun 27, 2015 11:32 am

Edmonton's new management are playing those draft picks well. They traded away a few for New York Rangers' goaltender Cam Talbot. Looks like Fasth is gone into free agency and is not coming back, so the trio minding the pipes this year for the Oils will be Scrivens, Talbot and Bachman. This has been a very productive off-season for the Oilers. Loving this management team of Bob Nicholson and Peter Chiarelli, they are getting things done. Boston's loss with Chiarelli is Edmonton's major gain.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 9:08 am

I'm starting to follow hockey more closely for the first time ever but it will still be behind basketball. Been reading about what the Flyers did and it seems like they had a very productive and good draft weekend. They were able to trade Chris Pronger's contract despite him not playing since like 2011 because of concussions.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jun 29, 2015 10:41 am

Yeah, I don't know how Philly managed to get Arizona to buy that.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:55 am

I was reading that they wanted to get to the cap floor but not bring in a FA. Seems weird.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jun 29, 2015 1:25 pm

But they gave away Sam Gagner for that. It's just baffling.