Wrestleview NFL Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: Wrestleview NFL Thread

Post by GooberBM » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:42 pm

If we've learned nothing from the Fappening, and the Ray Rice tape leak, nothing is sacred in terms of privacy in the public eye

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Sep 13, 2014 12:51 pm

Welcome to the internet.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jama7301

Post by Jama7301 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:15 pm

True facts

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:42 pm

Let's try some good NFL news for once: Almost $400,000 has been raised for pediatric cancer research from Devon Still's jersey sales. :D

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11514 ... ng-results
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:46 am

And Peterson suspended indefinitely by the team, after Radisson and Nike pulled some sponsorships.

The fuck is this NFL season...

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:28 pm

This NFL season is covered with so much trash, that its hard to even enjoy the games at this point. Ive been watching more College football this season.

This is a wake up call to all major sports, you want a bunch of animals running around being legit criminals, this is what happens to you. People have turned a blind eye to these athletes since they were in grade school. They get away with legit everything starting at an early age and when they become pros they even get away with murder, legit murder.

Go no further than last summer with Arron Hernandez. Wes Welker, Mankings, and others all spoke up to team officials prior to his murder (well actually now it depends now which one) saying he was a bad dude, the guy is COVERED in gang tattoos, had a bad history down in FL, and even had a history in CT during HS. But nothing to see here, he's producing on the field, meanwhile the guy is legit driving around Boston SHOOTING people.

But Im sure they will all find Jesus just like Ray Lewis and land spots on ESPN when the retire. How awkward is it watching Ray Lewis and Deion Sanders discuss Domestic Abuse... its disgusting. Maybe the NFL can bring OJ in and analyze Hernandez case during half time.

The owners have a chance to make a stand and they dont have the fucking balls to do it. NOT ONE. Oh unless of course they lose a fucking shoe company as a sponsor.

My hats off to the Radisson Hotel for being the first to make a stand.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 1:34 pm

Anheser-Busch has already made a statement to the NFL as well regarding all these incidents.

They are a $1 BILLION dollar sponsor of the NFL.

That is some cold hard cash right there that could be walking away.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Sep 17, 2014 2:49 pm

It's a little unfair to say this is what you get when you let animals run around unchecked. The percentage of guys going across these lines relative to the amount of guys in the league is minuscule but it's like the effect of the results of car accidents versus airplane crashes. There are many, many, MANY more cases of these crimes in regular civilian life that are as bad or worse than this and go unreported, but because they are celebrities you hear about every detail of what happened and exactly how horrible it is.

That said, THAT is the thing I'm taking away from it. The Digital Age has made it impossible to hide anything. And the old adage is still true: It's not the crime itself that is the most unforgivable, it's the cover-up. And the cover-up(s) and subterfuge in this(these) case(s) have been so inept and comical that it is making things even worse.

Think about it this way: The Vikings were ahead of the PR battle by benching AP last weekend. Then they came out first thing on Monday and said "Yeah, we did good here now it's time to go back to winning football games", patted themselves on the back and said AP was GOING to play Sunday. Then more claims about Peterson came out and the sponsors got nervous, put pressure on and the Vikings had to go nuclear and ban Peterson indefinitely. That just happens to be the same mistake the NFL made with Ray Rice in the first place.

In fairness to Aaron Hernandez, just because someone has been trouble in the past doesn't mean they're going to be trouble in the future. I'm here in Boston too Dynasty, and there was not an inkling of an idea that Hernandez was capable of what happened till it did, then the narrative got rewritten. The Patriots acted quickly and unilaterally when things got out of hand, and I don't really have a problem with it.

The NFL doesn't need to be Draconian, and it doesn't need to be trying to sweep things under the rug in an age where that's pretty impossible. They need to take measured, reasonable responses to incidents as they occur, like ANY company in America would have to if they were dealing with an employee in legal troubles

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:09 pm

You are probably right in saying a majority of guys are good guys, but then again I dont think its a tiny % of scum either, I think its more than the public knows.

In this case Ray Rice knocking his GF out is far worse than the NFL trying to cover it up. Thats my opinion on it. The NFL is gross for trying to cover it up like they did but Im not putting Goodell in the same bracket as Rice, or Peterson for that matter.

On Hernandez...being in the bar industry I was able to see who Hernandez hung out with and they were not people the staff felt comfortable with having as clientele. With that said did I ever think he would kill someone, absolutely not. But I knew he was hanging with shady characters. And that is kind of my point, apparently members of the Patriots expressed concern prior to all this coming out, and though we were unaware of his past as fans the Patriots were fully aware. And of course people can change and stuff I agree its a strong point but playing MMQB, maybe all the signs were there, but that is easy to say now.

And I agree its not the NFL's job to be the beacon of morality but they had a second chance here with Peterson to make good after the Rice incident and oh my god did they drop the ball.

You make fair points and I respect them, its just such a gross and sad time to be a fan of the NFL right now.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed Sep 17, 2014 3:39 pm

What I mean about the cover up or just brushing stuff aside isn't that the cover up ACTUALLY is worse than the act, but if the NFL had (or had the authority to) given Rice a stiffer suspension when the initial news and video came out, they wouldn't have had to be reactionary when public opinion swung wildly on them. Rice beating his girlfriend isn't what the NFL is under fire for. That specifically is beyond their control. The thing the NFL is under for is marginalizing the effect of what happened and only reacting when fans and sponsors make a point of disapproving. At no point have they come out and really shown that there are certain actions and behavior that they will not accept from their employees. They've shown that they won't act until their back is figuratively against the wall.

They don't have to be a beacon of morality, but there's a lot of ground between that and what they have done

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:18 pm

Nike suspends Peterson's endorsement contract:
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/11542 ... t-contract
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

Dynasty
Title Contender

Post by Dynasty » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:23 pm

Making his way down the aisle from the Arizona Cardinals......Johnathan Swyer...

According to reports, Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer has been arrested for domestic violence. Sports reporter Tyler Baldwin first reported the news Wednesday afternoon. Dwyer was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Georgia Tech. Dwyer was released by the Steelers prior to the start of the 2013 season. He signed with the Cardinals in March of last year. Dwyer, 25, is listed as the No. 2 running back on the Cardinals’ depth chart. He has rushed for 51 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries over two games this season.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:49 pm

Dynasty wrote:Making his way down the aisle from the Arizona Cardinals......Johnathan Dwyer...

According to reports, Arizona Cardinals running back Jonathan Dwyer has been arrested for domestic violence. Sports reporter Tyler Baldwin first reported the news Wednesday afternoon. Dwyer was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers in the sixth round of the 2010 NFL Draft. He played college football at Georgia Tech. Dwyer was released by the Steelers prior to the start of the 2013 season. He signed with the Cardinals in March of last year. Dwyer, 25, is listed as the No. 2 running back on the Cardinals’ depth chart. He has rushed for 51 yards and a touchdown on 16 carries over two games this season.
Thank goodness he isn't Pittsburgh's problem anymore. We've had enough damn headaches with rowdy players.

stonecoldnimrod
Twitter: stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:10 pm

the fact that football players are gtting accused of crazy shit and this season, none of them are from the bengals???... AND they're 2-0 this season?!? dafuq?
facebook.com/houstonwrestlingradio

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:12 pm

These are the end times.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:38 pm

Now for a POSITIVE story in the NFL:

Former Raven gives kidney to his brother, a former Steeler
http://www.sbnation.com/lookit/2014/9/1 ... atu-kidney

Now that's what I call brotherly love. :D

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:44 am

Just saw the box score...

Holy balls did the Bucs get shitstomped.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 10:24 am

Jama7301 wrote:Just saw the box score...

Holy balls did the Bucs get shitstomped.
I have to wonder if they even showed up last night. Freaking hell.

Jama7301
Hall Of Famer

Post by Jama7301 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:49 am

Fifty-Six. 56. Five-Ten and Six.

That's how many unanswered points the Falcons scored. In the first three quarters.

Tampa didn't score til the 4th quarter when the scrubs were in...

Sometimes, the Premiere League's regulation things ounds like a good idea... Tampa would get shipped down a league after this display.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:55 am

I think Tampa better quit while they're (slightly) ahead. Last year's season wasn't anything to write home about either.

Pittsburgh is playing at Carolina Sunday night. Unless the Steelers got the act together the last week or so, I don't see anything significant happening this week either.