THE TENACIOUS TENNIS THREAD

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: THE TENACIOUS TENNIS THREAD

Post by GooberBM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:27 pm

I'm better peoples than you. That's why

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jul 03, 2014 7:41 pm

Genie is better people than us all, though. First Canadian woman to ever make the Wimbledon finals.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:00 pm

I prefer to refer to her by her full name.

Well done, Eugenie!!!

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:24 pm

#GenieArmy

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:30 pm

Considering it's her preferred nickname, Greg's in the right

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:31 pm

Also, screw her for beating Simona Halep, the spiritual successor of Justine Henin. In playing style

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:51 pm

She just happened to be on the wrong side of destiny, this time.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Jul 03, 2014 8:52 pm

I harbor no long-standing ill will. But screw her, for the remainder of tdoay

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:34 am

Djokovic-Dimitrov is approaching boiling point very nicely. Totally even first three sets, before Dimitrov loses his head in the third set tiebreak and continues to serve three consecutive double faults in his first service game in the fourth. Out of the blue he regains his mojo and breaks right back. I'm really hoping for a fifth set here, but Djokovic could well have the psychological edge to win it in four.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Come onnnn Federer. One more time.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:34 pm

I'll be up early to watch the ladies final, tomorrow. It'll be the first full tennis match I've viewed in probably 8 years.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:42 pm

I would love to see Federer win too, but only today, after years of watching tennis, did it really dawn on me just how incredible Djokovic is. Dimitrov threw everything at him (the same game that beat Murray in straight sets), yet Djokovic psychologically destroyed him. True champions win the big moments in every game, and Djokovic did that today. He doesn't lose; you have to beat him. Federer is the undisputed King of Wimbledon, but he needs to play as well as he did in his prime to stand a chance of taking three sets off Djokovic on Sunday.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:49 pm

After Djoker's 2012 when he lost like 5 matches all year, how are you only now realizing how good he is?

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:56 pm

Incredible was the key word there. I don't use it lightly. I knew he was really, really good, but today's game indicated to me much more clearly than any previous one I've seen just how good he is at destroying his opponents' will to win. Dimitrov is young, hungry, and has everything to prove. He destroyed Britain's darling on his own court two days ago. By the end of today's game, he was a broken man. No Djokovic game that I've seen (admittedly, I don't watch all of them) was quite so impressive, nor have I seen quite such a good illustration of his great qualities.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:58 pm

Djoker is clearly the superior player to Federer currently and if I was betting on it I would put money on him. But as a Federer fan I would really like to see him own that record of the most Wimbledon titles for himself. This is the only Grand Slam left that Federer is capable of winning but he has a hell of a mountain to climb.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:36 pm

TheLyontamer wrote:Incredible was the key word there. I don't use it lightly. I knew he was really, really good, but today's game indicated to me much more clearly than any previous one I've seen just how good he is at destroying his opponents' will to win. Dimitrov is young, hungry, and has everything to prove. He destroyed Britain's darling on his own court two days ago. By the end of today's game, he was a broken man. No Djokovic game that I've seen (admittedly, I don't watch all of them) was quite so impressive, nor have I seen quite such a good illustration of his great qualities.
Okay, I didn't use the word incredible out of your quote, but that 2012 was just as indicative of Djokovic's level of play as him still retaining it now, in 2014. Beating Murray and Nadal in the 2012 Aussie Open, playing a 4 hour 50 minute 5 setter against Murray and then a 5 hour 53 minute 5 setter against Nadal is more than enough evidence for me to know how incredible he is.

I understand what you're saying, as breaking someone's will on the court is a trait of the most ruthless of champions: Nadal does it by punishing you point after point until you wilt, Federer always did it with ruthless efficiency in the big points (most notably against Andy Roddick, like in the 2009 Wimbledon Final where Federer won the match and he only broke Roddick's serve one time, the last game of the match (a match I will go to my grave contending was better than the Federer/Nadal final the year before)).

The reason why Djokovic has won 6 slams in the Federer/Nadal era is because he reached those heights and has maintained that level. I'm sorry that you're only now appreciating it

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:41 pm

Sorry, Djokovic's 2011 season, with the capper being that 2012 Aussie Open. To go 70-6 in a season, with two of the greatest players ever still at or near their prime. It's madness

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:27 pm

Fed's back on top form today. No idea how he managed to pull himself back into the fourth set. What happens when two players who can only be beaten by a superhuman effort face each other? A game this tough.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:45 pm

Also, the guy who lets his game slip just ever so slightly. Djoker is probably a little bit better than Federer overall, at this point, but he let his game slip for about 15 minutes and Federer used that to take that 4th set. Now he's steeled his resolve again and Federer is the one that's going to have to hold him off. Staying out of break situations is going to be paramount

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:54 pm

Djokovic seemed really put off by Federer coming to the net on Djok’s service game towards the end of the previous set. He wasn’t expecting that kind of aggression. Fed’s been relentlessly attacking the serve, and his own serving has been good for the most part. He’s hitting aces for fun. It would have seemed clear before the match that a five-setter would suit Djokovic better, but the route they’ve taken has led to me thinking the opposite. Djokovic is definitely struggling both physically and mentally, but will still take some beating. It’s really just a matter of who holds their nerve now, as one break of serve will probably decide it.