The 20th FIFA World Cup Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: The 20th FIFA World Cup Thread

Post by GooberBM » Sat Jul 12, 2014 9:15 pm

#NewGoldenGeneration

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Jul 13, 2014 12:02 pm

I hate the 3rd place game but FIFA sell tickets so they'll continue to do it. I didn't even watch it. Though, the Germany/Uruguay 3rd place game in 2010 was a fun match with Forlan winning it at the death with a FK I believe.

Greg, I don't know how many times a golden boot winner played in the 3rd place game but Muller won it in 2010 playing in that game. For 2006, I believe the Golden Boot winner was Klose, who also played in the 3rd place game.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

dontcallme
Rookie

Post by dontcallme » Sun Jul 13, 2014 4:47 pm

Red_And_Yellow wrote:I hate the 3rd place game but FIFA sell tickets so they'll continue to do it. I didn't even watch it. Though, the Germany/Uruguay 3rd place game in 2010 was a fun match with Forlan winning it at the death with a FK I believe.

Greg, I don't know how many times a golden boot winner played in the 3rd place game but Muller won it in 2010 playing in that game. For 2006, I believe the Golden Boot winner was Klose, who also played in the 3rd place game.
Schillaci did it in 1990.

3rd place game in the World Cup is ultimately meaningless as everyone just considers them semi-finalists.

Can't imagine the players are too enthusiastic about it either after having finals dreams dashed.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:28 pm

Well that was tough for someone supporting Argentina but in a way I am happy it didn't go to penalties (although they are great viewing). Germany are deserved champions.

I am at work and only saw the after-match stuff in the background but did Messi seriously get the player of the tournament? I love Messi but he didn't deserve that accolade.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:37 am

He did get player of the tournament.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:27 am

Go home FIFA, you're drunk

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:03 am

I love Messi, but don't think I would have given him that award. It seemed more like a consolation prize for his general greatness over the years, but that's not the point of the Golden Ball.

However, I think a lot of people are being unnecessarily dismissive of the quality that he produced during the tournament, and a case (albeit a difficult one), could be made for him collecting the award. Had it not been for his crucial goals, Argentina would almost certainly not have progressed from a group containing Nigeria, Bosnia and Herzegovina, and Iran. They could very well have ended up with two points instead of nine. While Argentina's other well-known attacking players all had terrible tournaments from start to finish, he held them together for as long as he could. And whenever you find yourself marvelling at Di María's great late winner against Switzerland in a game that was heading for penalties, don't forget Messi's beautiful run and excellent awareness to pass him the ball, when a number of other players would have gotten caught up in the moment and brainlessly blasted the ball well over the bar.

Unfortunately the rest of the team coming good coincided somewhat with Messi losing the touch of magic that he had in the early stages. Make no mistake about it, though. Had it not been for him, we would very likely have said goodbye to one of the World Cup finalists almost three weeks ago.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 am

Mueller and James have better resumes against better competition. As you say, Argentina could have struggled to survive a group with B & H, Nigeria, and Iran.

Mueller led Germany through Ghana, the US, and Portugal, while James led a Colombian domination of Greece, Japan, and the Ivory Coast. James scored in every match he played in, and both he and Mueller were tied for the most points in the tournament with 8, though James did it in 2 fewer matches. Messi only having a single assist in 4 knockout round matches, for a team that didn't score for over 320 minutes in knockout round action, should have counted against him.

Messi had a great case for best player in the group stage. He did not have a great case for best player in the tournament

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:27 am

Yeah, which is why I wouldn't have given it to him. He wasn't the best player of the tournament, but I'm seeing a lot of heavy criticism towards him in many different places today, which I do find unfair.

I saw Robben's stats this morning. They're quite remarkable. He didn't get the quantity of goals of the others, but he played a key role in getting a far from great Netherlands team as far as the semis. I can't warm to him because of the diving, but he's an incredible player. I was lucky enough to see him play live last year and he was easily the best player on the pitch. He's just amazing to watch when in possession of the ball, and seems to be getting better with age.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Posting to see if there's an edit button.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:30 pm

Nope.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:50 pm

Cool story, bro.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:56 pm

I told you to shut up.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:14 pm

How's that working out for you?

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:20 pm

Not very well.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:37 pm

Better luck next time.