XXII Olympic Winter Games

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: XXII Olympic Winter Games

Post by El Canuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:00 pm

Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir added another silver to Canada's tally today, bringing them to 4-7-4 for 15 medals and putting them in 8th place, though a single gold would bounce them to 3rd, and two would move them to 2nd.

Tomorrow in Hockey:

- Neither Canadian team has any games to play, as it's all qualification rounds for the other teams.

Tomorrow in Curling:

- One game to play, in the men Norway plays the Scots in a tie breaker game.

Tomorrow's medal events:

- Alpine Skiing: Women's Giant Slalom

- Biathlon: Men's 15k Mass Start

- Freestyle skiing: Men's Halfpipe <-- Should be fun

- Nordic Combined: Individual Large Hill

- Short track: Women's 3000m relays

- Snowboarding: Men's Snowcross (rescheduled from today)

- Speed skating: Men's 10000m. That's not a typo, that's ten thousand meter race.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:20 pm

That 10 km speed skating race is pretty amazing. That's one that I like to watch.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Feb 17, 2014 8:38 pm

I'm going to check that out for sure. That's going to be a real test of endurance.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:27 pm

I did not enjoy the Men's Snowboard Snowcross near as much as I did the women's. Let's hope the freestyle skiing equivalent delivers.

Canada picked up two more silver medals today though, Women's 3000m relay team and in Freestyle skiing: Men's Halfpipe. At 9 medals, they have more silver than anyone else, but with only four gold and four bronze they sit in 8th overall.

Anyway, tomorrow's events:

In curling:

The Semifinals get underway

Women's (both at 5am Eastern time):

- Canada vs. Great Britain
- Sweden vs. Switzerland

Men's (both at 10am Eastern time):

- Canada vs. China
- Sweden vs. Great Britain

In hockey:

No play for the ladies.

Men's Quarterfinals gets underway: (All times in Eastern)

- Sweden vs. Slovakia (3am)
- Finland vs. Russia (7:30am)
- Canada vs. Latvia (12pm)
- USA vs. Czech Republic (12pm)

Medal events:

- Alpine Skiing: Men's Giant Slalom

- Biathlon: Mixed Relay

- Bobsled: Women's Run

- Cross Country: Women's Team Sprint, Men's Team Sprint

- Snowboarding: Women's Parallel Giant Slalom, Men's Parallel Giant Slalom

Also:

- Newfoundlander Kaetlyn Osmund takes the ice in the Women's figure skating short program.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:47 am

Finland eliminated Russia in Men's hockey! What an upset at 3-1, did not see that one coming.

Sweden went 5-0 over Slovenia and Canada/Latvia and America/the Czech's are still to come today.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:17 pm

Canada gets the gold in the Women's Bobsled! Finally got that 5th gold.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:45 pm

We've been owning the silver side of the podium, in the past few days. Nice to be in the middle, again.

Our women's curlers are playing for gold. Muirhead wasn't calling a good game, which kept her team from being able to capitalise on Canada's misses. That wasn't the usual Ice Queen.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:55 pm

Gold against the Swedes no less. Yeah, that wasn't a good day for Eve, and if it's not a good day for the skip that's not good for anyone.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:10 pm

For most of the game, Great Britain actually out-threw Canada. They just lost the chess game, badly.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:58 pm

Precisely.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:13 am

In men's Hockey:

- Sweden knocked off Slovenia with ease
- The U.S put the boots to the Czech's
- Finland got the upset victory like Dolph Ziggler going over John Cena on Russia.
- Canada had a surprising nail biter with Latvia of all countries.

Next games are on Friday where America plays Canada and Finland plays Sweden in two classic border rivalries to decide who plays for the medals.

In curling:
SpoilerShow
Both Canadian teams move on, Jennifer Jones plays for medals tomorrow against the Swedes while Eve Muirhead takes her Scottish lasses to fight for Bronze with Mirjam Ott and her Swiss ladies.

Brad Jacobs plays on Friday against Great Britain for Gold/Silver and bronze is being fought between China and the Swedes
Medal games for tomorrow:

- Curling: Women's finals, see spoiler tag above. Bronze game is at 3:30am Eastern, Gold/Silver is at 8:30am Eastern.

- Figure Skating: Women's free skate

- Freestyle Skiing: Men's Skicross (should be fun) Women's halfpipe (also fun)

- Hockey: Women's finals, Canada vs. USA for the gold/silver game, Swiss vs. Swedes for the Bronze.

- Nordic Combined: Team Large Hill (no gender specified)

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:58 am

Man, Freestyle Skiing is just DOMINATED by the Canadian skiers. More back-to-back gold & silver for Canada's ladies again, a feat they already accomplished in the Moguls event last week. (different gals though) Such a good race.

Men's Curling spoilers:
SpoilerShow
Not to mention Brad Jacobs and his team just beating the Scots like it was a squash match. FUCK YEAH CANADA. In two days they went from 8th to 2nd on the medal podium. If Team Crosby can beat Team USA today in the Hockey, Canada might just take 1st.
Hockey: Sweden beat Finland earlier to secure their medal place. At 1:30pm my time, 12 eastern, Canada will play the USA to decide Sweden's gold medal contender opponents.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Feb 21, 2014 11:28 am

A tight race in the Men's Long Track team pursuit between defending champs Canada and South Korea. Korea were behind off the start, but it was a move to conserve energy as the picked up big towards the end and won it by a three second margin. Canada could still snag a bronze there.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Feb 21, 2014 2:18 pm

Double Gold in curling, and now looking to turn the trick in hockey. #WeAreWinter

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Feb 21, 2014 4:20 pm

We snagged another bronze in short track.

Some more medal possibilities in long track tomorrow, hockey on Sunday is at least a silver, slalom Snowboarding could be fruitful in either gender, there's a lot of room for Canada to top the podium again. We're in third as it is with only a single gold standing between them and Norway and a silver between them and the Ruskies.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Feb 23, 2014 10:51 am

Wow, what a game, Canada blanked the Swedes as they did to the Americans two days prior and just as Finland did to America yesterday. Canada DEFENDS THE GOLD in both genders in Hockey, brings it home in both genders in Curling for the first time ever, as well as having the Women's team make Olympic history with an eleven game undefeated streak from start to finish. Freestyle Skiing was a massive success for Canada, especially for the women; they skated, they snowboarded, the sledded and the snowboarded their way to a multitude of medals and did it all with class and grace.

After eighteen days, the XXII Winter Olympic Games in Sochi have come to a conclusion. There's been controversy surrounding and within the games, triumphs and disappointments, but all in all it was an exciting display of athletic prowess and I enjoyed every minute of it that I watched and I'm looking forward to the XXIII Winter Olympic Games in 2018 in Pyeongchang, South Korea.

Twenty six countries took home medals, you had Kazakhstan and Croatia picking up single medals and folks like forty year old Ole Einar Bjoerndalen of Norway not only winning two gold medals, but setting the record for most medals of all time. Some countries, like Netherlands racked up all their medals (all twenty four of them, to be exact in the Dutch's case in Speed Skating) in single sports while others like Canada, Germany and the U.S got them across several sports and disciplines. There was even the story of Slovenia, being an afterthought in the Olympics that had their men's hockey team surprise opponents and eight other medals, two of them gold in other sports. The Swiss made a mark in hockey and showed a strong presence elsewhere, being a top medal winner. We had debuting events like the Team Figure Skating that netted Newfoundlander Kaetlyn Osmund a silver medal, making Newfoundlanders 2/2 on the medal podium in their appearances in the Olympics (Brad Gushue and his team won gold in curling in Turin in '06) and women finally got equality in ski jumping when they were allowed to compete for the first time ever.

To wrap this post up, here's the Top Ten countries on the medal podium at the games closing:

1. Russia: 13-11-9 (33)
2. Norway: 11-5-10 (26)
3. Canada: 10-10-5 (25)
4. United States: 9-7-12 (28)
5. Netherlands: 8-7-9 (24)
6. Germany: 8-6-5 (19)
7. Switzerland: 6-3-2 (11)
8. Belarus: 5-0-1 (6)
9. Austria: 4-8-5 (17)
10. France: 4-4-7 (15)

Other countries that have known posters here:
14. Sweden: 2-7-6 (15)
19. Great Britain: 1-1-2 (4)
24. Australia: 0-2-1 (3)

New Zealand and Ireland did not medal, but had representation in several sports.

One more note, though Canada finished 3rd overall, they finished 1st in women's rankings:

1. Canada: 6-4-1 (11)
2. United States: 4-4-5 (13)
3. Norway: 4-3-5 (12)

Proving our ladies are the best in the world.

Go Canada!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:19 am

That was quite the breezy propaganda report I just read, kids

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:16 pm

One of the Bobsled winners was Heather Moyse from PEI. She's basically like the Queen of PEI now, watching the news the entire week after that was hilarious. We really need more celebrities around here

The Premier of PEI (Robert Ghiz) ended up giving her the "Order of Prince Edward Island" and skipped all the red tape and procedure to do so, now he's suffering a bunch of backlash for it. He basically just gave it to her, which is kind of too bad because it wasn't her fault, but all the controversy surrounding it kind of ruins it I think. She could have gotten it, it's just too bad the pompous fucking Premier took it into his own hands and didn't follow procedure.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Mar 15, 2014 5:51 pm

The Lieutenant-Governor is supposed to give those out, aren't they?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:27 pm

I recall hearing she was from P.E.I, I thought it odd that a province with nary a hill to be found could produce a gold medal bobsledder, but there you go. And in my province the Lieutenant Gov General gave those out, I had thought that to be a uniform policy across the board.