The Official NHL Hockey - Discussion Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Official NHL Hockey - Discussion Thread

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:36 am

San Gagner got traded from the Oilers, a prospect I wasn't happy about, until I heard he got dealt to Tampa Bay for Teddy Purcell. Edmonton finally got a Newfoundlander and the best one in the league to boot! Tampa then traded Gagner over to the newly renamed Arizona Coyotes in the same day, along with winger B.J Crombeen for only a 6th round draft pick in 2015. Sounds like someone in the Tampa Bay office was hitting the sauce hard when they came up with that deal.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:52 pm

The Oilers add to their good day with former New York Ranger Benoit Pouliot and a much needed defender in Mark Fayne. Good signings all around for the Oilers in my books.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:13 pm

The Coyotes represent the entire state now, eh?

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:19 pm

Indeed, they moved up, somehow I doubt the new distinction will move ticket sales one bit, but Bettman is determined to do everything he can to make an ice hockey franchise in the scorching desert not be a colossal failure.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:33 pm

Phoenix is the 6th largest city in America, with a staggering 4% annual growth rate, expected to be the 4th biggest by 2020. Regardless of paid attendance at games, that's a major television market, and getting the big national broadcasting dollars is incumbent upon the league having a presence in the region. Sure, the league has to dump money into the franchise, to keep it afloat, but a good chunk of that money comes from the team being where it is.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:10 pm

Still though, we jam more in an arena in St. John's for the Ice Caps than the Coyotes do in Glendale. It doesn't really matter how big the city is, if no one is watching the games or buying tickets, it's a financial sinkhole.

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:11 pm

It does matter, because TV money is determined by potential household audiences, which people buying tickets are NOT.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:13 pm

Christian Ehrhoff and the Pens have agreed to a one-year deal worth $4 million.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2014/07/ ... lion-deal/
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 2:37 pm

“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:10 pm

His new nickname shall be "Groping" Giroux

Greg_McNeish

Post by Greg_McNeish » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:29 pm

Piggy got back.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Jul 06, 2014 11:35 pm

I don't know why I didn't see this before, but the Canucks in the span of a year, went from having 2X Olympic Gold Medalist goalie Roberto Luongo traded away only to recently sign 1X Olympic Silver Medalist goalie Ryan Miller, who just came off a trade to St. Louis from Buffalo himself. This is a big signing for the Canucks to fill that huge goaltending hole left by the departure of Luongo and Cory Schneider.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:32 am

Sidney Crosby will undergo arthroscopic wrist surgery, and injury believed to have hindered his abilities in the playoffs. ‪

Story here: http://cbsloc.al/VJOfju

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Jul 09, 2014 11:46 am

I can see that being an issue. Wrist problems would affect stick handling and puck control, not to mention greatly hinder his shot strength and accuracy.