The Cricket discussion thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Re: The Cricket discussion thread

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:16 pm

*plugs ears*

KIWI POWER~!

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:50 pm

Well as a long time NZ cricket supporter a batting collapse is nothing new but if we manage to lose this game it will be a crushing blow.

The NZ cricket team gets some much criticism in this country because they don't dominate like the All Blacks (forgetting the fact that Rugby is the number one sport in only two countries in the world, here and Wales and we chuck limitless resources at it whereas we are minnow in the cricketing world) but there has been so much goodwill towards the team this summer and it will be gutting if they revert back to their old ways and collapse.

You are right about the killer instinct Tamer. Before beating a weak West Indian team earlier in the summer we hadn't won a test in over a year. We have a woeful record against all other nations apart from Bangladesh and Zimbabwe and we just aren't used to winning. Thankfully Taylor is still there and this might be the most important innings in Andersons career so far.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:30 am

Although it has nothing to do with cricket, since you brought up the Wales rugby team, I might as well give a mention to what just happened in the Six Nations, since I’m buzzing at the moment. Wales are looking to win the tournament for the third year in a row, but have just been absolutely mauled 26-3 by Ireland. I can’t believe just how one-sided the game was. The Welsh barely had a sniff at scoring in the eighty minutes. They looked totally out of their depth and were dominated by the Irish in all areas. Hopefully this will be Ireland’s year to win the Grand Slam.

Back to cricket now. Comparing the Black Caps to the All Blacks is just silly. When you’re as small a nation as New Zealand, and you’re the best in the world at a pretty prominent sport, people should just be grateful for that, and cheer any success that other national sports teams achieve. The cricketers do a very good job, considering the quality of South Africa, India, England, etc.

The Test is fascinatingly poised heading into the final day. Reckon India will have a crack at scoring the 320 they need to win it? If Dhawan goes well in the morning session, I think they might. New Zealand are still in a better position, but given the match situation yesterday morning, anything other than a win will have to be considered a huge disappointment for you guys. Saving this match is the kind of thing that could give India the impetus to up their game and go on to win the series.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:37 pm

Phew!

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:47 am

cricket fucking sucks, it's a barbaric game that's severely outdated compared to most of today's legitimate sports.
Image Image

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:19 pm

BioticZombie wrote:cricket fucking sucks, it's a barbaric game that's severely outdated compared to most of today's legitimate sports.
Man that post made me sooooo angry.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:45 pm

Punk kids can be good antagonists, sometimes.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:02 pm

They've got angst in their veins.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

BioticZombie
Legend

Post by BioticZombie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:26 pm

Legend_Killer wrote:
BioticZombie wrote:cricket fucking sucks, it's a barbaric game that's severely outdated compared to most of today's legitimate sports.
Man that post made me sooooo angry.
Good, good.
Image Image

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:51 pm

Yeah, non-contact sports like cricket sure are barbaric. Cricket’s “outdatedness” is actually one of the reasons I love the sport so much. While some modern sports allow blatant cheating and corruption to go unpunished, cricket still holds the old-fashioned title of the gentlemen’s game, and thus any form of rule-breaking is heavily frowned upon. There’s a lot to be said for that.

Back to New Zealand-India now. This time yesterday, the Indians appeared to have the second Test wrapped up with ease. As I type this, BJ Watling has completed his hundred and Brendon McCullum has just made a second consecutive double hundred in an uncharacteristically brilliant battling innings. The partnership is also worth over 300 runs and they have been together for more than 100 overs. India look totally deflated. And now the 400's up. If NZ bat the rest of the day and manage to procure a 300+ run lead, they’d surely be considered favourites for the match. Simply put, if the Black Caps manage not to lose this game and claim the series either 1-0 or 2-0, it will go down as one of the greatest escapes and most well-earned wins in recent Test history. Come on you Kiwis.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:24 pm

So, Lou Vincent has received a life ban from all forms cricket after being found guilty of match-fixing. What a sad story. Is there much talk about this in New Zealand, LK? How is the nation reacting to one of your most prominent batsmen of recent times admitting to such a crime?

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:41 pm

Yeah this is dominating the news over here with people pretty fired up at the timing of it (being the same day we won the test series over West Indies)

Some of the reaction though annoys me. I think overall he has gotten away with it. He keeps the money and gets a ban from a sport he doesn't play anymore. He has come out and said he was in a dark place etc and a lot of people are forgiving him for being honest. Honest? He says sorry after a year long investigation finds him guilty? That isn't noble.

The guys is a cheat and I am pretty pissed off at him and also at peoples willingness to forgive him.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:46 pm

Seeing as it's customary to revive this thread every time something significant happens in the world of New Zealand cricket, I must say that Brendon McCullum's innings of 195 from 134 balls is one of the most glorious things I've ever seen live. When faced with a choice between watching the much-hyped Australia vs India or the barely talked about New Zealand vs Sri Lanka last night, I went with my instinct and chose the latter and wasn't disappointed at all. His relentless slaughter of the SL bowlers was gruesome at times. A triple hundred, two doubles, and a 195 in this calendar year is sensational from McCullum. 2014 has been the year in which the NZ Test team has quite subtly become very, very good. You've got a middle order to rival any other, and an outstanding captain, who I would call the best in the world if Angelo Mathews and Misbah-ul-Haq hadn't had such a strong year as well.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:19 am

Yeah it has been a great year. There hasn't been this much hype and goodwill surrounding our team for as long as I remember. A year and a half ago we were rock bottom after getting dismissed for forty-odd against South Africa and now we appear to have a team which is better than any team we have had since the 80's.\

McCallum has been amazing and my opinion of him has turn 180 since a year or two ago when I thought he was a bit overrated with a tendency to only score runs when it didn't really matter and on flat tracks and not score them when we really needed him too. That 300 he got v India saved the game for us when we were 3-4 down for few runs and the inning the other day v Sri Lanka basically assured victory for us.

Gutted I didn't go to that test on Boxing Day as it was in my hometown and that innings would've been amazing to watch. Some exciting times ahead over here with the World Cup in our backyard and we seem to have a team with a real chance of winning. There will be a LOT of expectation on us now from the public which is not something they have had to deal with before. I am hoping it doesn't crush them.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 1:15 pm

So, any chance of getting a bit of World Cup chat going here? The tournament starts in Australia and New Zealand on Saturday, and I’m preparing to spend every weekend for the next two months attempting to pull all-nighters, and every weekday frantically scrambling for results and match reports. So excited for this, as these global tournaments are the only times that I get to see my country go up against the big boys in a proper series of matches.

How are you liking NZ’s chances after the one-dayers against Sri Lanka and Pakistan, LK? Your boys are looking like a very good dark horse, helped by the fact that Ross Taylor finally appears to have played himself back into form. With the weight of runs that he, Williamson, and Guptill can provide, coupled with the explosiveness of McCullum and Ronchi, I would not want to be bowling at the Kiwis on home turf. If Boult and Southee can keep their rhythm going, you’ve got a great shot at going all the way. It would be a fantastic story.

Despite their poor form, the romantic in me would also love to see SL crowned champions. They play a beautiful style of cricket and fell just short in the two previous tournaments. Perhaps most poignantly of all, one day cricket is about to lose two of its all-time great batsmen. I’d love to see Sangakkara and Jayawardene, both of whom are retiring at the end of the tournament, bow out by winning the big one.

As for Ireland, I’m hoping we can cause another upset or two. Qualification from the group is unlikely, though not beyond the realm of possibility. Assuming that South Africa, India, and Pakistan all qualify, we’d have to finish above Zimbabwe and West Indies to clinch fourth place. We play the Windies in our opening game on Monday in Nelson, which will be huge. Our last two games are against India and Pakistan, so early points will be crucial. WI are looking quite beatable at the moment, and have a distinct lack of star power among their ranks. Our biggest problem is that we’ve lost our two main fast bowlers from the last two World Cups, and our new best bowler was recently ruled out of the tournament through injury. It could work against us that we only play two games in New Zealand, where I believe the pitches tend to suit medium pacers who move the ball in the air. A lot of the Australian pitches seem to be made for guys who bowl the ball at high speed, while batsmen prosper against mediums and spinners. Still, at least we don’t have to play a game in Perth.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:34 pm

Man, you guys could beat the Windies on your day. They are a shambles. I would not be surprised at all if either you or Zimbabwe qualify ahead on them.

As for us, I am slightly concerned that the weight of expectation could crush our team. Our media is building up the expectation on our team big time and they are printing any story from around the world that say we have a great chance of winning. It worries me as a long time, jaded, Black Cap fan. The team has never really had to deal with much expectation in these tournaments so how they deal with it is key with how we do. (Hopefully they have asked our All Blacks for tips on this)

But, apart from that, we are looking strong. This is probably the best team we have ever gone into a World Cup with and if we play to our potential then we should at least make the final. This will be McCallums last World Cup so hopefully he can own this one because we need him.

I think this Cup is South Africa's to lose. They have an amazing team on paper. But their history of choking in these tournaments might play on their minds. It will be interesting to see how they deal with that.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Tue Feb 10, 2015 5:35 pm

Hopefully I will be going to the opening ceremony tomorrow night, since it is 5 minutes walk from my house :)

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:24 am

Having had a closer look at the squads, it was probably unfair of me to call NZ a dark horse. On paper, I'd say you have the third best starting XI, after South Africa and Australia. Based on quality and recent form, I'd easily make you the third favourite for the tournament. India look good too, but I think their players are mentally shot. NZ hammered SA today, which was very impressive. Admittedly, though, Amla and Steyn weren't playing.

Be sure to write about the opening ceremony if you manage to go. I just watched a very interesting documentary called Resume Play, all about the earthquake in Christchurch and the rebuilding of the cricket ground in the city. Very interesting stuff.

Do you think you'll be going to any of the games, LK? Is the opener against Sri Lanka on close to you?

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah the opener is in the same place as the ceremony, which is about 5 minutes from where I am staying. (I am actually staying at a temporary location for the next 6 weeks while my place is getting Earthquake repairs). I am not going as I was a bit slack in getting tickets :( If I had known I would be so close to the venue I probably would have tried a bit harder to get tickets!.

I briefly went down to watch the South Africa v NZ game yesterday but by that time it was rather dull, with South Africa just playing out the overs.

Pretty sure all the games here are sold out except for the England v Scotland game. I am keen to go to that though so I am trying to convince friends to step up.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:03 pm

Yeah, you should definitely go if possible. Regardless of who's playing, going to a World Cup game has to be on the list of things to do in your lifetime. It's so cool that you're that close to the ground. I hope you fully appreciate that you were able to walk five minutes to see South Africa play yesterday. We're so starved of internationals over here that I made a seven-hour round bus trip one day last May to see Ireland get hammered by a Sri Lanka side that didn't include Sanga, Jayawardene, Dilshan, or Malinga, and would do so again in a heartbeat. Sickened that I likely won't be able to attend the Ireland vs England game this coming May, as I'll likely have to work that day. I fully intend to head to England in 2019 to try and see a few World Cup games, despite the fact that Ireland likely won't be there due to the ICC's recent announcement that future tournaments will be reduced to ten teams.