The Cricket discussion thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Dram
Developmental Talent

Re: The Cricket discussion thread

Post by Dram » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:56 pm

That rain saved us, too. De Villiers was guiding them towards a monster total before the over reduction and the more attainable D/L adjusted score.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Fri Mar 27, 2015 6:20 pm

Well, the dream final is happening. In my eight years as a cricket fan, this is easily the most excited I’ve been for an ODI not involving Ireland. The two co-hosts dominating their way to the end before playing against each other is a fantastic scenario. If the game they contested in the group stage was any indication, this could be a classic. I really hope for a close game, as this final has the potential to be THE iconic ODI of this generation. Not even India vs Sri Lanka in 2011 (also co-host vs co-host) had such a special feeling, probably due to the fact that, in the last five years, Australia and New Zealand have not met in a single ODI outside of ICC events.

While I’d love to see the Black Caps win, I’m starting to lean towards the Aussies as favourites. Their fast bowlers are just so strong. McCullum surely has to get the New Zealand innings off to a good start if they are to win this. If he goes early (and especially if both Williamson and Guptill don’t hang around), I don’t have faith in the middle order to thrive against the Australian quick bowlers. It’ll also be interesting to see if Australia open their bowling with spin. It might sound ridiculous, but McCullum has annihilated seam attacks all through the tournament. He was particularly ruthless against Mitchell Johnson when the teams met earlier. Bangladesh, of all teams, managed to get rid of him early when they opened with spin against NZ. And in the semi-final, after SA’s opening seamers had been smashed around the park early on, Imran Tahir came on and immediately picked up McCullum’s wicket. It would be an interesting move, but Australia’s lack of a front line spinner would likely deter them. I imagine Michael Clarke would have to bowl himself against McCullum and I don’t see him doing that. Never know, though.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:13 am

Cricket fever has taken over the country. I never thought I would see the day that cricket would be such a massive deal here. Can't wait for tomorrow. I am a little concerned that Australia is going to be too good for us but I thought that in the last game so what would I know. I hope it is a great match.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sat Mar 28, 2015 6:56 pm

I just read Martin Crowe's most recent piece on Cricinfo. His eloquently-expressed opinions on cricket are among the most interesting out there and the news that he probably doesn't have long left to live is terrible. I don't know how much coverage his story is getting in New Zealand, but if I needed another reason to want to see the Kiwis triumph, this is definitely it.
My precarious life ahead may not afford me the luxury of many more games to watch and enjoy. This is likely to be it. I can happily live with that. Four million dare to believe, while 11 (and back-up) dare to achieve. Whatever happens, March 29 at the MCG will be the most divine fun ever.
You're not going to find a better preview for the match than those few lines.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 7:46 am

Yeah that got a lot of coverage here. Incredibly sad.

I am just gutted we got so destroyed in that game. I could have handled Australia winning but to lose like that hurt a lot. I really think batting first hurt us, but we were outmatched in every aspect. Honestly, I really dislike this Australian team. I respect them but some of them are just very hard to like. It's just a shame we surrendered so meekly.

Dram
Developmental Talent

Post by Dram » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:16 pm

Agreed, LK. All I wanted from that game was a performance that reflected our efforts throughout the tournament. I think the occasion just finally got the better of them, unfortunately. Still, the boys can hold their heads high and be proud of what they have achieved, and how they went about it.

It has been one hell of a ride and I'm pleased I got to be part of it.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Sun Mar 29, 2015 4:45 pm

It was certainly a disappointing day when the game promised so much. I don't think there's a team that is as strongly influenced by its captain as New Zealand. When McCullum stands up to the opening bowlers and smacks them in every direction, it sends a wave of inspiration through the batting order even after he has departed. The problem is that the inverse is also true. Starc's three balls to him were absolutely wonderful and I think it's fair to say that the game was decided in the first over. The rest of the innings was aimless and quite panicky at times. Guptill's bizarre dismissal to Maxwell was pretty solid evidence that, without the fast start provided by the captain, the confidence to get anything close to 300 just wasn't there. And it wasn't just the fact of McCullum's dismissal, but the manner of it. He's normally so assured and skilful, but Starc made him look like a clueless tailender. It's hard for the rest of the team to rebuild after the captain goes like that.

At least you guys still hold the rugby World Cup, until the current powerhouse of the northern hemisphere, Ireland, takes it off you in a few months ;)

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:35 pm

I know I'm quite late in saying this, now that the Ashes hype is in full swing, but I would feel bad if I didn't mention how wonderful the Test and ODI series between England and New Zealand were. England finally stopped picking their one-day team based on Test performances (bye bye, Cook, Bell, Anderson, and Broad), and let some of the explosive players who have been impressing at domestic level for years take over.

As for the Kiwis, I can hardly think of words to describe my affection for the current team. Their attitudes, performances, and sportsmanship have been excellent. Is there a more likeable bunch of players than those guys anywhere in sport at the moment?

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:32 pm

Yeah, everyone seems to loving the way we play etc, which is great. McCullum is a revelation as captain.

But I would trade all of that for a series win, which we didn't get. I thought we had a really disappointing tour to be honest.