European Football/Soccer Thread

Discuss sports leagues, put together fantasy leagues, brag about your team winning a championship, etc.
Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

European Football/Soccer Thread

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Tue May 31, 2011 8:06 pm

I figured with the popularity of the UEFA Champions League thread, we could have a separate thread for other league discussion to go here. If you want to talk about the Armenian champions, go for it.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

coco
Mid Carder

Re: European Football/Soccer Thread

Post by coco » Tue May 31, 2011 11:52 pm

Well most of the football world is over. There is the Cup America in the horizon; you know, that competition where Brazil plays de waterboys and still win it lol. The most interesting thing happening soon is the transfer market. Real Madrid's got Bundesliga fever buying Sahin and Antintop already. Rumors say Ferguson is cleaning out the team after the CL display.
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**
Svck my d~ck with sh!t on it.

Legend_Killer
Mid Carder

Post by Legend_Killer » Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:43 am

I'm stoked that Barcelona won the Champions League. As a Liverpool supporter I was never going to support Man U anyway but I feel like Barcelona play football the right way.

But to be honest, I am a football fan but the constant diving and acting is ruining the sport for me personally. I'm not sure what can be done about it and I know it's always happened to a degree but I just think it's out of control. It's the reason why football will always be behind my other preferred sports to watch.

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:14 pm

I don't want to open yet another soccer thread so I guess I'll comment about Copa America here. For those who care, it is the first time in this tournament that neither Argentina nor Brazil are in the semi finals!! I think Uruguay has the strongest chance of winning it but this tournament has been anti-favorites so far.

Semi finals are

Peru vs Uruguay
Venezuela vs Paraguay
towney007 wrote:Oh and btw... to the 'duhhhhhhhh *drool* Taker don't wear no suitz~' comment: **Shows picture of Calaway in a suit**

coco
Mid Carder

Post by coco » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:32 pm

greatest celebration in football history.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Lets talk some Champions League now that we're getting close to the final 8. Who Do you think will win it? Who do you want to win it?

Unfortunately my German boys Schalke got knocked out this morning, so now i wouldn't mind seeing Malaga do take it, and though they probably won't, I could see Isco taking them to glory.

Because i really don't want to see Barca, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich or Dortmund win it, i'm tipping PSG, though they weren't very dominant against Valencia.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:48 am

The draws for the quarter-finals of both the Champions and Europa Leagues were made this morning. All in all, they were a little underwhelming, as none of the eight games can really be considered a blockbuster tie. All the talk of a possible Clásico between Real and Barca, or clash of the German titans – Bayern and Dortmund – proved to be nothing more than fruitless hype, as all four teams avoided one another. Still, the semis and final have the potential to be epic.

Malaga v Borussia Dortmund
Real Madrid v Galatasaray
Paris St-Germain v Barcelona
Bayern Munich v Juventus

I don’t see any big surprises happening here. I think Dortmund took four points from Real Madrid in the group stage. They topped the group of death that also include Ajax and Manchester City. Barring a massive dip in form, they should breeze past Malaga. Unless we see some some highly unlikely Drogba magic, I don’t think anybody sees Galatasaray defeating Real. Paris St-Germain vs Barca would be the tie of the round under normal circumstances, was it not for the fact that PSG will be without star striker Zlatan Ibrahimovic for the first leg, which will take place in Paris. Having seen Barca’s demolition of AC Milan in the Nou Camp the other night, it’s very clear that PSG will have to do the business in the home game if they are to have any chance of progressing. With this setback, it’s hard to see where the goals will come from. I’ve got Barcelona taking this tie comfortably. Bayern vs. Juventus is definitely the toughest to call. Juve bashed Celtic in the last round, whilst Bayern hammered Arsenal in the first leg and did just enough to scrape through in the second. I’d back Munich to come through if they hit top form, but this could really go either way.

That would leave us with the mouthwatering semi-final line-up of the two Spanish giants – Real and Barca, and the two German heavyweights – Bayern and Dortmund. In an ideal world for me, this would lead to Barcelona vs. Dortmund and Real vs. Bayern, before a Real-Barca final. But that’s wishful thinking. As for winning the competition, I don't think that anyone outside of those four has a snowball's chance in hell, Slayer.

In the Europa League, we’ve got these games to look forward to:

Chelsea v Rubin Kazan
Tottenham Hotspur v FC Basel
Fenerbahce v Lazio
Benfica v Newcastle United

We’ve missed out on the big Tottenham-Chelsea game, but that could still be yet to come. I quite fancy the idea of three English teams in the semis.

What do the rest of you think of the draws?

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Wed Mar 20, 2013 4:34 pm

It looks like we'll have:

Real Madrid
Barcelona
Bayern Munich/Juventus (toughest tie to call, I'm leaning Juve at this point)
Borussia Dortmund

In the EL:

Tottenham Hotspur :)
Chelsea :(
Benfica
Lazio

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:09 am

None of the Benfica winning nonsense, the mighty Toon Army will reign supreme and win the tournament, not just get past Benfica. So for the Europa League i have:

Chelsea
Spurs
Lazio
Newcastle (Will win tournament)

After that i think we'll get any combo where Chelsea and Spurs don't play each other, i think they'll bank on Chelsea and Spurs making the final so they have a derby for the final. In saying that i'm not sure if it's chosen by random or not so i could be completely wrong with how they do it. I don't even watch wrestling anymore and i'm still trying to book it like a wrestling tournament :/

As far as the Champions league goes i have a lot less emotion invested in this one seems Schalke are knocked out. So here's how i think it'll go:

Malaga
Real Madrid
Barca
Juventus

I know Malaga are underdogs but if Isco plays they're every chance in the world. All in all i just hope Barca or Bayern Munich don't win it. I'm tipping Real Madrid as they've just advanced past Man United and in the last month or so they've proven they can beat Barca.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:46 pm

Are you a Newcastle fan?

They remind me a lot of our first QF UEFA Cup run in ages. However, this is where we ran out of gas against an established, consistent European side (sub Sevilla for Benfica). I'd be stunned if Newcastle won, or if they even went on to win the tournament.

Even if they get by Benfica, if the favorites go through, they'd be the worst of the four teams. I wouldn't tip them to beat either of Spurs (granted, I'm biased), Chelsea or Lazio.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

TheLyontamer

Post by TheLyontamer » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:48 pm

I know nothing about the current Benfica team, but they’re currently top of the Portuguese league ahead of Porto. Newcastle will have it all to do if they are to progress. They’re already probably punching above their weight by getting to the last eight. Any team that they knock out from here will have to be considered a massive upset.

Hasn’t Gareth Bale been having fitness problems recently? Tottenham really need to hope that he stays healthy and in good form if they want to win this tournament. I watched most of the second leg against Inter, when they had to play without him, and was very unimpressed by the team's performance. They were aimless, created few scoring opportunities, and didn’t appear to me to be much better than an average mid-table side. I know that they had the three-goal cushion, and got the important goal when they needed to, but they lacked the flair that makes me think they could win on a regular basis without their star player. I don’t watch enough of Spurs to have the confidence to call them a one-man team, but surely fans must be worried at the prospect of playing against the likes of Chelsea or Lazio without him. I’d find it hard to see them winning. Am I wrong, Red?

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:20 pm

Yeah i'm a Newcastle fan. We probably are the lowest team still in but we are more than capable. Ufortunately with Hatem Ben Arfa out for the season our cause isn't helped, and with Moussa Sissoko and Yoan Gouffran ineligable it doesn't really help our cause. The being said hopefully we get Tim Krul and Coloccini back soon, and even though he isn't one of our better players we'll still be boosted by the return of Haidara who might be returning against Benfica. Luckily for us Marveaux and Cisse seem to be combining fairly well lately which is a great sign for us.

As i said before we are definitely capable of causing some upsets, and i can't see any reason we can't get though Benfica. After that i know we can beat Chelsea and Tottenham, we beat Chelsea at Stamford bridge last year and at St James this year, we also beat Spurs at St James and outplayed them at White Hart Lane. If it were not for some Gareth Bale brilliance we would have drwn that much or possibly won it seems Bale scored 2 solo goals in that match. The thing with Chelsea is they're definitely beatable at home, They drew with Reading, Fullham and Southamptom and got beat by QPR there earlier on this season so i wouldn't rule out ANY top flight team from beating them at Stamford Bridge. I also think that Tottanham will struggle to put points on if Gareth Bale is unavailable due to injury, they have some really good players but from my sporting experiences, if a team has an X-Factor like that then they will struggle without them, as was shown by the Newcastle Knights post Andrew Johns and Brisbane Broncos post Darren Lockyer in the NRL, sorry for a reference you guys wouldn't have a clue about but they were the best ones i could think of.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Mar 31, 2013 3:23 pm

Tamer, it would obviously be a worry if Bale goes out with an injury.

However, he is fine, his fitness problems over the International Break were due to illness, not injury. He should be fine for now.

I don't propose to know a lot about Benfica, but this is the same team that beat United last season and got to the CL Quarters. Newcastle without Ben Arfa, Sissoko, and Gouffran have very little hope imo.

Slayer, well, you played us first game of the season when we only had one senior striker, massive holes in CM (Jake Livermore started ffs), a defense still adjusting to a higher line, and Friedel didn't adjust to being a sweeper keeper. Also, imo, you didn't outplay us at the Lane either. We won rightly, and while Newcastle gave us a good game, they could hardly have been said to be dominating or the better side. They were okay, gave us some trouble, but you didn't deserve to win that or outplay us.

If Newcastle go beyond this stage I'd be stunned. Benfica are seasoned European veterans and it's a difficult away fixture. Newcastle are a very poor side this season and just don't score enough goals. I think they go out to Benfica.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:13 pm

I didn't know that Debuchy, Santon and Tiote were injured till a couple days ago, so now we're fucked if they're not back, but i still have faith.

And i still think we outplayed Spurs at WHL. Bale was on fire, other than that yous had nothing, i think it deserved a draw.

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Sun Mar 31, 2013 8:29 pm

"Bale was on fire, other than that yous had nothing"

But we did have Bale and he scored two goals. Whether you deserved a draw or another result is moot. You didn't get it, you didn't earn it.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

Slayer23
VIP Member

Post by Slayer23 » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 pm

Red_And_Yellow wrote:Whether you deserved a draw or another result is moot. You didn't get it, you didn't earn it.
Obviously, whether we deserved a win or draw we didn't get it, that's all that matters.We have to remember the point i was trying to make but, and that is that we can match it with anyone, including the European Champions Chelsea. Personally i would love a shot at Chelsea so we can show them we don't need Demba Ba.

On a different subject though the first leg of the Champions league Semi's are over and it looks a bit like this:

Bayern Munich 2-0 Juventus - While Bayern Munich take in a 2-0 lead we have to remember that Juventus have a home leg to look forward and anything can happen.

PSG 2-2 Barcelona - Definitely puts Barca in the box set here. They have their home leg to look forward to with a draw and 2 away goals, they should get through this one easily.

Malaga 0-0 Borussia Dortmund - This one is a real toss of the coin for me i think. Malaga may not have got a home win but didn't concede any away goals so i think they're just as much chance as Dortmund to get through this one.

Real Madrid 3-0 Galatasaray - You gotta think that RM win this. If they could beat United at Old Trafford they should get through Galatasaray pretty easily.

I think Bayern Munich, Barca, Malaga and RM will get through here.