Help my interwebs!

Anything goes forum. Discuss Politics, school, family, whatever you want.
meta
Title Contender

Help my interwebs!

Post by meta » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:55 pm

Just purchased, installed, and activated Netgear CMD31T modem, and 6220 router. Currently:
-Wired PC is able to connect to the internet
-Wireless devices are connected to wifi, and pulling IP address
-Wireless devices are appearing on connected list in router
-Wireless devices are able to connect to the netgear gateway administration
-Wireless devices are NOT able to connect to internet
-Issue happens on both bands, tested guest network as well, also tested secured and unsecured
-Multiple powercycles on modem and router, as well as wireless devices (Galaxy 6, Android Tablet)
-Comcast internet

Help meh!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Re: Help my interwebs!

Post by El Canuck » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:45 pm

Meta: "- Comcast internet"

Me: "Welp, there's your problem!"

In seriousness though, from the information provided (very thorough, btw) it seems as though the Wireless devices are simply being denied access beyond the network. Perhaps disconnect/reconnect the devices and punch in the passwords again. You might also check your options (depending on your OS) to see if there might be a default setting to deny wireless devices or otherwise require permission. There may also be a button on the router itself that's required to be pressed every time a new wireless device connects, sort of as a failsafe to keep outsiders from accessing your wireless. Hope something here helps.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Wed Aug 26, 2015 5:58 pm

Forgot about the WPS connect nonsense....ill kill the networks then try that when I get home. Thanks

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:26 pm

Ok, so tried forgetting networks are reconnecting manually, and with WPS. No luck.

As an addendum, when booting the network in proper order (modem>router>end devices) a link will not establish between modem and router. Only by booting router first, then modem, will the connection be made.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:32 pm

That none of those things worked AND the odd method by which you have to boot everything is really strange. I'm not sure what else to recommend other than a Google search on the matter. I would also hazard to guess that Netgear has a webpage and usually, tech product webpages include an FAQ and/or a support forum. Because unless someone else has a suggestion at this point, I'm all out of ideas, sorry Meta.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:08 pm

So, now I'm wondering if it's a problem with the modem. Hooked up my old (known good) router, and this time, it's not pulling anything at all.

But how would a plain modem (not combo) affect what a router broadcasts?