The Writers and Writing Stuff Thread

Anything goes forum. Discuss Politics, school, family, whatever you want.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: The Writers and Writing Stuff Thread

Post by GooberBM » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:41 pm

Well how did I not know about this thing before now? Well hello there writing thread. I will share a little something: An excerpt of a story I started probably a year ago, that I've put on ice for a while. Maybe reacquainting myself with it, and putting it out here will spark a little something...
Spoiler: show
Trying to put that debacle out of my mind I go back over towards the beach and find a quiet spot on the retaining wall. I toss my messenger bag and food up and then hop effortlessly up and then sit with my feet hanging over towards the sand so I can look out at the water while I have my lunch. I almost laugh at the container for the seafood thinking how awesome it is they made me a box lunch and actually put it in a box. I open it and search out the biggest piece of calamari I see and pop it right into my mouth. The instant euphoria I feel is tempered, just a touch, by the salty, heavy after taste of the breading they use. It's not enough to ruin the meal completely but I am disappointed that this won't even rate in the top-5 of my favorite seafood experiences. I take out the container for my clam chowder and my face drops when I open it. The poor soup is almost more watery than creamy. I push my spoon in and hope for some density but the spoon goes right to the bottom and meets little resistance when I stir it. I feel like my enthusiasm for this meal has met nothing but crushing disappointment, but we're here so we should try to make the most of it.

I pour a packet of oyster crackers into the soup and start to eat it, a little faster than I had intended. I feel completely justified though, since there's no point in savoring it so I blitz my way through the cup and just as I'm about to put it back into the plastic bag to throw it out later, I feel my earbud get pulled out of my right ear. Before I can react, I hear a voice tell me that if I had wanted a good cup of clam chowder I should've stayed in the second restaurant and that they charge more because they're better.

I hesitate just long enough for the voice to sink in and I remember that I had talked to her not too long ago and I turn to see the girl from the cake shop sitting on the retaining wall next to me, facing the street but looking right at me with a very pretentious grin on her face. I'm getting to the point that I'm starting to wonder if someone is messing with me on purpose but then I remember nobody knows who I am enough to want to mess with me so rather than let the dead space grow even more awkward I serve first, and ask her if she knows from experience.

She says that she has, although she's not a fish person generally. Nope she's a girl that's all about a nice, big, juicy piece of meat. The range of emotions that hit me in the next few seconds feel mind boggling. It cannot be a coincidence that this girl that I bumped into has shown up while I am eating a mediocre cup of clam chowder, and worse than that she has a terrible sense of humor. And thinks she's funny. This girl might be a sociopath and for some reason she has an interest in me. I know I've been lonely and all but this is legitimately terrifying. But she is cute.

I must have gotten lost in thought because the next thing I know, the girl is waving her hand in my face to get my attention and telling me that it's not nice for a guy to sit there spacing out and not introduce yourself when a girl is talking to you. She has me there so I apologize and tell her my name and she perks back up, crossing her arms. She tells me she figured I'd have a boring name like that but she can probably work with it.

More confused than ever, I ask what she means by working with it but she ignores my query and asks me how was it in the restaurant while I was ordering. I must not have hidden the surprise on my face because she starts to giggle and laugh before I've said a word. I recount my experience inside to her, stopping twice to let her laugh at me, and when I finish she asks to see the receipt. I take it back out and hand it to her and she breaks out into a full guffaw when she reads it. I look back to see a couple of people looking at her as if something is wrong, so I just shrug and tell them it's the laughing gas and they smile a little too politely and hurry away, probably regretting their impulse to butt into people's business.

Once she regains her composure, the young lady tells me that she didn't expect Bobby to go this far, she only suggested he have some fun with me. I stare at her like she is daft. She holds back her laugh this time and tells me that the guy is a friend of hers, since she likes coming to the beach a lot, she knows a bunch of the people that frequent and work in the area and when she saw me going in she told him to give me a runaround to see if I had what it takes. My face slowly crinkles as she explains all this to me and when she finishes I don't hesitate to ask if that was just a giant test. She responds affirmatively, so I ask what it is she was testing for. She wanted to know if I was someone worth talking to. I ask how I did and she tells me that I've passed the first three tests.

I'm rather disarmed by this admission. I've passed three tests? I can gather that one test would be with Bobby in the clam shop. The second test would obviously be something in the cake shop. But how on Earth could I have passed a third test. As I'm opening my mouth to ask the question, she reaches her hand out and puts a finger to my lips to stop me. Boy does it. I close my eyes because if I look at her, I'll start blushing madly. Her finger is so soft but she presses it strongly to my lips just for an instant to restrain me, then lays it easily once I'm docile. I simply feel paralyzed, even when I think of pressing my lips back against her finger, or when I want to pull away and shrink away from my growing embarrassment. All I do is sit there, holding my breath, feeling my heart jump up in my throat. Just from a finger.

My brain doesn't seem to be functioning but my ears still work. I hear a whisper telling me to open my eyes because I won't bite. It takes a moment to realize she's not saying I'm going to bite myself and I scream at myself in my head to comply so loudly I'm shocked nobody else can hear me. But that seems to be what I need because I finally open my eyes and look at her. The smile and goofing around have faded away and she's looking at me earnestly. She explains that she thinks I've figured out the third test was Bobby and seeing if I could handle a fun little situation and I did pretty good since Bobby thinks I'm actually kinda cute. The first test I passed was when I didn't try to sneak a peek down her top when she was kneeling in front of the displays at the cake shop. Then she smiles again and takes her finger off my lips and says I can ask the question in my head now.

Question? I have a question? I surely can't think of anything besides wanting to feel that touch again. How could she be so bold and intimate with someone she saw for 2 minutes? The people walking by must be looking at us like we've known each other for years but I know nothing about this girl. Except that she might be insane..and she has very soft fingers. She quietly reminds me to ask my question and the tone in her voice sounds familiar to me. I start to come through the haze when I realize that she's using the tone with me that I probably use with Nana when I'm being patient and trying not to get annoyed. I don't know why but I don't want her to use that tone with me. I don't want her to become disinterested so I try to remember what we're talking about and I go ahead and ask what the second test was.

She shakes her head and tells me that wasn't the question she was looking for, but she will tell me. Then she goes about explaining that she had gone off ahead of me and was sitting in the park when I got to the picnic area and saw the girl face plant off the picnic table. She was impressed, not just that I went over to check on the girl, but that I acted so decently when the girl's parents came over and ran me off like I was a child predator. Most people wouldn't notice that but she did.

By now she's shifted herself on the retaining wall and is sitting cross-legged, facing me with her elbows on her thighs. I am being inspected and it's completely off-putting. I should be insulted for feeling like I'm in a glass jar being poked, prodded, and experimented on like I'm something being kept in a display case for her enjoyment. But I'm enjoying it too and I don't know why I am. I must be much more starved for attention than I ever figured. I must look ridiculous to her and maybe that's what's so fun to go about tormenting me.

I get told that I can try again whenever I'm ready. I'm not sure what the game she's getting at is, but I do want to know something so I ask her how long she's been following me, really. She starts to try to look at me sincerely, but the mask breaks and she can't help but wear that stupid grin like she was messing with me again. She tells me that she really didn't follow me until I got to the picnic area but she made sure she was going to see me there. I ask her what she means and she says that I took so long sitting by the marsh that she went and dropped off her box of stuff and I was still sitting there when she came back through.

She kept talking but I couldn't help but latch onto that. She knew that I had walked in the park, and kept tabs on me long enough to follow me even after I stopped to watched the guys fishing and came back just to see if she could find me again. I was so interesting that she put all these machinations into place to see if I would be worth talking to? Okay, it's a little hard not to be intrigued by it. A little bit more than intrigued, in fact.

I finally start paying attention as she tells me that she really doesn't have much time left because she does actually have someplace to go soon, so I should hurry up with my last question. I decide to test the waters and tell her that it's a two-part question and ask if that's okay. She says that will be fine, Bran Flake.

And that momentary feeling of having my feet under me was an illusion, because the quick sand starts dragging me under, all over again. What the hell is Bran Flake? I mean, I'm not really a nickname person. Really the only nickname I ever had was Bran Muffin, but only my mother ever called me that. And that was only until I was 10, before the sheer thought of someone saying that in public was too mortifying for words. I guess you can count some people calling me B, but that doesn't count. B is a letter, it's not really a nickname. All I know is right now I just feel naked, having this stranger breaking me down so effortlessly. But why aren't I running away yet?

I look at her and she seems really disappointed, and then I realize why when she asks me of all the things the things I could've asked her, why did I ask her what the hell is Bran Flake? In that moment, it dawns on me that I was so dumbfounded by her nickname that I actually asked my question aloud. I can't hide the consternation from my face and plead for a do-over but as much as she'd like to give me another chance, she's only got time to answer one question and that's the one.

She turns herself so that she's facing the ocean with me and dangles her legs off the side of the retaining wall like me. She earnestly turns her face to meet mine and looks into my eyes. I hadn't noticed before but her eyes are dark brown, with flecks of white and black in the pupils. They're completely gorgeous, like a well crafted marble. I could probably get lost studying every detail about them for hours and never even consider coming back to reality. I wonder if her boyfriend appreciates the precious gift he has available to him whenever he wants.

I'm so lost in thought that I barely even register when she starts talking. Bran flakes are so dull and boring. There's nothing fancy to them, and nobody ever goes "hey you know what I need right now? Fucking bran flakes"?

And that moment I had spent feeling connected to her is dead to me. What a pretentious...I was thinking but I guess she saw the look on my face because she puts her finger, that magical delicate finger, back to my lips and everything shuts down again. Once she has me fully enraptured, she continues.

But bran flakes don't need to be wanted all the time. When you need them, they're there. They're dependable, you always know what you're going to get from them. They're not pretentious. They just are what they are and you can believe in them. And I think that might be what you are. And lets face it, the world needs more bran flakes.

I smile sheepishly, because I don't know what else to do. I'm legitimately touched. I've known this girl for about 10 minutes and she gets me. Way better than the people that have known me for my entire life. I don't have words to say, but I think I am able to stutter out a hopelessly inadequate thank you. In response the girl kisses me on the cheek and tells me she thinks I'm a nice guy. An idiot fool, but a nice guy.

I didn't think I could be any more mesmerized but that did it. Her lips were so soft and warm on my cheek that I feel on fire now. Nobody has been this intimate with me, in far longer than I can even remember. I don't know what to do and I don't know what to say. All I know is that I feel something that I haven't felt in a very long time, because of this girl. And I'm lost to her.

Before I realize it, she jumps off the retaining wall and starts to walk off but I call her back. She's about to roll her eyes at me because I obviously wasn't listening that she's late to....something, but it's her turn to stop short when she sees a cupcake in my hand. I smile and tell her to take it, as a show of my gratitude for the weirdest, most insane, but nicest day I've had in a while. And I surely mean it. It might take me a month to dig through everything that happened here and even begin to try to make sense of it, but I'm smiling and laughing so something about this is right. And she deserves to know I appreciate this meaningless moment of time.

She takes the cupcake and does me the service of holding my hand for a couple of seconds longer than is necessary. Only then does she roll her eyes at me and tell me she hopes she is the highlight of my week, as she walks away. I don't even dare to turn my gaze from her until she's crossed the parkway and is heading down some street, away from me. The hurricane has finally blown through and moved on, and I'm left pleasantly sifting through the wreckage

Highlight of my week? Man, if she only knew...

Then it dawns on me. What the hell is wrong with me? I didn't even get her name.

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Robmayn
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: sRobXMayneZe

Post by Robmayn » Fri Dec 12, 2014 6:18 pm

Just out of curiosity. Do you guys simply use a plain old word processor (like Office, Pages, LibreOffce) or do you use any other kind of software for your writing? For essays and articles to be published I normally use that, plain and simple.

However, I also have to write scripts, both narrative and A/V, so Celtx is a common usage for me as it is for a lot of people. Even if it has its flaw it is free. But whenever I need to be saving character bio cards I normally save them on Excel

I wanted to know if you use any kind of software to make it more effective and efficient for you to write and why you use them.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Not a professional writer, I have my fanfiction for fun which I can't motivate myself to work on since I have too many distractions. For stuff at home, I use the free program called open office. I've just started my first year of university and have been bombarded with assignments. I've done them all on campus instead of at home because of the simple fact that the uni computers have word which is vastly superior to open office.

Anyway, I was cleaning up my desktop's desktop this morning and found a poem I wrote in June during an extremely mentally challenging period with my girlfriend. We happened to split up 2 or 3 days later. Other than school work, I've never written a poem in my life.

Just posting it wouldn't make sense to whoever reads it, as I was writing it for me. I'll give a quick back story. (It turned out to be much longer than I expected (and it's been hugely summed up, which is pretty funny)
We met online (shut up) many years ago and by a complete accident, we ended up in a relationship 4 years ago. Neither one of us had been looking for a partner, it happened naturally. So we're in a long distance relationship, of about 17,000 miles. I've mentioned before that she's from South America. She's been cheated on in every relationship she's been in, so naturally she's ended up very insecure as a result. Add in long distance, and it was difficult on both ends. She could never fully trust me or my female friends. I ended up losing many of them as a result. Some avoided me, and some I had to avoid for the sake of giving her as much peace as mind a I could.

Fast forward two years and I've been there and she's set to come here. She's gotten extremely insecure about one of my friends and we fight a lot as a result. A month before she's due to visit, I end up ending that friendship out of sheer stress and because I thought the damage happening to the relationship wasn't worth it. She hints (but doesn't ask) that I promise not to try to talk to the girl, and I make the promise. So my girl comes, and we have an amazing time and towards the end, she finally tells me she trusts me.

During this time, I had two deaths in my family (one being a niece). I didn't get retained at my job, and then my girl goes back home. I ended up with severe depression. We were having stupid fights after that and I ended up bitter, thinking about my friend. I ended up breaking the promise by messaging my friend to apologise for what had happened. The friend said she still wanted to be friends, and in my bad mental state, I didn't consider the consequences.

So my girl ends up devastated, and something broke within her. We weren't the same after that. We ended up splitting up last September because she was too mentally stressed with her own university work, her family and me. Two months later she says she misses me and wants to try again. We try, and I go over there again. She hadn't gotten over what had happened though, and the trip was pretty horrible by comparison to the previous two. Fast forward to June, and the same thing happened as September. I wrote the poem as a means of focus, to try to clear my head.
Tl:dr long distance girlfriend is insecure, and our 4 year relationship fell apart.

The poem was written as if I was writing it directly to her, so a lot of our relationship Jargon is used. My nickname for her is Chilly (she's from Chile, duh) and there are words throughout like "shu shu" which is basically moving or getting rid of something.

I gave it to a friend to read who is hugely into poetry (and was the inspiration to do a poem in the first place) and she praised me for it being powerful and well written for my first ever poem.

So remember, I'm not a professional writer. I haven't made any edits to it, despite some obvious things I could correct. I'm also not looking for sympathy or anything similar. We've both moved on with our lives, and I figured I may as well not let it go to waste.

Found and Lost
How did we end up here, you and me?

It seems like yesterday that we were so happy and free.

The happiest of accidents, the strongest of love,

You were the hand that fit in my glove.

A more interesting girl, I had never before seen,

I intended on making you my queen.

I thought of you all morning, I thought of you all night,

When I was with you, everything seeemed right.

Soon I found the right words to say,

Te amo I said, I love you today.

I loved you tomorrow, and the day after as well,

You were perfect for me, I came out of my shell.

It seems like yesterday that we were so happy and free.

You were happy too, I could see it in your face,

Every second spent together, we needed no space.

So perfect for me, my dearest Chilly,

Even if you thought I was a silly Billy.

So beautiful you were, even with messy hair,

All of your self complaints, I never did care.

Not a thing about you would I change,

Our love for each other, a boundless range.

I heard your voice, I was under your spell,

You were addicted, I knew it as well.

It seems like yesterday we were so happy and free.

You had your past, an unshakeable shadow,

Our first fight, it hurt like an arrow.

So quickly we made up, everything would be okay,

You were sorry, you didn't want me to run away.

You're loco I said, I'm here to stay,

I love you too much today.

How to make you feel better? I did not know,

The dark past you had, filled you with woe.

Bye bye to my friend, Chilly is all that I need,

But still your past remained like a weed.

Our love progressed, together we will be,

All that was needed was you and me.

I love you more, no you love me more,

The same line we said, but we were both so sure.

So incredible you were, such passion we felt,

But so apart, this was the hand we were dealt.

The shadow remained, so hard for you to trust,

You could not see, Chilly was the target of my lust.

More fights we had, so much stress,

I needed to be careful, just like chess.

But happy we were, we were in love,

Your hand was still in my glove.

A year together, oh what a thrill,

Together forever is what we wanted still.

We loved each other, but you had your past,

It seems we could start to fight so fast.

My friends were girls, you could not trust,

You tried and tried, but it was a bust.

A solution we wanted, neither was pleased,

But I told you I loved you, I hoped you'd be relieved.

It wasn't enough, I tried my best,

You needed to trust me so that you could rest.

The greatest of joy, I made it happen.

A trip to Chile, you would feel my passion.

Your past remained, I made mistakes,

I'm still sorry that I caused those aches.

To trust, that is what you wanted

No matter what, it seemed you were haunted.

I love you, you love me. I'm coming to you now, I'm on the plane

These ghosts following you, they will be slain.

30 hours later, I am exhausted. Where is my Chilly?

"You Billy, I'm right in front of you silly".

I saw you there, the most lovely smile,

Everything we'd been through, it was all worthwhile.

Can you trust me? We won't fight?

I'm here now, it's that simple right?

We both hoped yes, the answer was no.

You tried your best, this I know,

To trust me fully, you craved it so.

You can touch me, come nap on my belly,

I'm really in your bed, I'm not on a telly.

Love, passion, commitment, we had it all.

But somehow you still managed to fall.

I'm making love to you, you're thinking of your past,

Why did you think of that girl so fast?

It seems like yesterday, we were so happy and free.

You're sorry you say, you cry in my embrace,

I'm upset too, I'm in space.

I'm here how, don't you see?

There is nobody else, just you and me.

Haunted still, you can not forget,

I love you forever, oh well no sweat.

I always forgave you, no matter how hard,

I understood, sadly you were scarred.

You can trust me, I want you forever,

When would I leave you? The answer is never.

Our desires fulfilled, we wanted more,

Sadly there was more in store.

The best time of my life, but it's time to go,

I never wished more for time to be slow.

So happy we were, we made it through the trouble,

The bad in our relationship? A drop in a puddle.

It's time to say goodbye, you're soaking me in in tears.

We'll be together again, no matter how many years.

We love each other, there is no doubt,

We both wish you can kick the past out.

I'm back home, I miss you so much,

Your taste, your smell. I need another touch.

So perfect for me, why would I want another?

Only the best would meet my mother.

The best you were, despite your flaw,

The fights continue, but you loved me I'm sure.

The one thing you wanted, it's all that you needed,

To trust me, this is what I pleased.

My dreams come true, you're coming to me,

I'll take you to our tree.

So many fantasies, soon would be true,

Could you trust me? I hadn't a clue.

This girl again, you hated her so,

No interest in her, you just didn't know.

She'll steal you from me, that's what you'd say,

More fights we had, every single day.

Never before has it been so bad,

Never before had we been so sad.

What do I need to do?

Sorry my friend, you need to shu shu.

It seems like yesterday we were happy and free.

You're here with me, we're together again,

"I can trust you, I'll tell you when".

It's all we needed, we're finally free,

We're literally perfect, just you and me.

You trust me you finally say, music to my ears,

No more fights, after all these years.
So much love, everything is right.

We make love, long into the night.

Arm in arm, hand in hand,

Never let go, everything is grand.

It's impossible to love each other more,

Perfect and happy, of this we were sure.

So much went wrong whilst you were here,

That you'd want to run away was my fear.

How silly I was, you didn't want to leave.

Too many deaths, you helped me to grieve.

You loved my bed, you loved to snuggle,

I had your trust, there was never a struggle.

No better couple would be found, even with a fine comb,

We are both devastaed, it's time for you to go home.

Once again, you drown me in tears.

Love and trust, there were no more fears.

Nothing could go wrong, am I right?

It didn't take long for us to fight.

Everything is going wrong, I'm so stressed,

I didn't know until later I was severely depressed.

I lost my family members, my job and my partner all so soon,

My life was spiralling out of control, like a floating baloon.

Now it was me doing wrong, you didn't deserve it,
I'm so sorry for treating you like shit.

Worst of all, the biggest mistake,

I spoke to the girl, and your heart would ache.

The broken promise, I have so much regret,

It is impossible for either of us to forget.

The trust is gone, what can you do?

You go behind my back, now my trust is gone too.

Please don't do that again, I begged of you,

A dozen times more? Surely that's not true.

Such horror I felt, I drowned in despair,

But neither of us felt the other was being fair.

How did we end uphere, you and me?

I emotions exploded, I told you we were done,

You were too stubborn, you wouldn't let me run.

We still loved each other, we can make it through this,

We needed to hug each other, and end with a kiss.

Awkwardness, how do we continue?

I didn't know, neither did you.

I'm sorry my love, please forgive me,

You could not accept my plea.

Slowly we drifted apart, we couldn't help it,

I'm sorry again for treating you like shit.

Three years now, a happy occasion,

Unfortunately that was not our situation.

My birthday came, you mostly ignored,

Is everything okay? Or are you bored.

Everything is fine you say, I love you today,

I want to make you happy, soon it's your birthday.

The perfect present, I'll show you how much you mean to me,

You didn't care, is there a we?

So much work I put into it, I knew not what to do,

I didn't know that you already knew.

Andrew, we need to talk,

This is serious, you can not go for a walk.

Okay my love, I'm here for you,

I'm not happy Andrew, I'm sorry it's true.

I love you, but I need you to shu shu.

Time froze, my heart turned cold,

I could not comprehend what I was just told.

It really happened, no more you and me,

We might try again, we'll have to see.

My partner is gone, bye bye to my soulmate,

The path before me was no longer straight.

How do I live my life now? I lost my Chilly,

No longer would I be called Billy.

I finally got a job, I did not care,

I needed you, you weren't there.

Time moved forwards, I stood still.

I was sick, you were my pill.

I couldn't get better, I needed you,

I didn't know if you loved me too.

Crazy I went, repeating in my mind,

I dreamed that everything would rewind.

Then it happened, you said you missed me,

What did you want? That was a mystery.

We started to talk, we became friends again,

You said you wanted to try again, but didn't know when.

We got back together, I was so happy,
But you couldn't hide it, you were feeling crappy.

Your past was gone, our past was present,

Your love for me, it seemed to be bent.

I'll come to you, I worked so hard,

But you showed no enthusiasm, you were still on your guard.

It's time for me to come, I haven't seen you for a year,

What if you weren't ready, that was my fear.

My fears came true, you weren't ready,

You never admitted it, but you weren't very steady.

I showered you with affection, I couldn't keep my hands off you,

None of it returned, I was very blue.

You loved me, this much was clear,

But you weren't in love with me, where you my dear.

So little patience for me, so much aggression,

I hoped for progression, but there was only regression.

So many besitos, so many abrazos,

You always broke away from me, your love for me was never on show.

Everyone noticed, especially your sister and your mum,

I couldn't always hide it, I was down and numb.

And soon it was time for me to go, would you drown me this time?

I didn't think so, was that a crime?

It took for the final moments, you finally cried,

You were sorry you said, you knew that I had tried.

You made a promise, I'll make this up to you. I swear,

Four months later, I don't even know if you care.

It seems like yesterday, we were happy and free.

Yesterday I was lost, you had found me.

Today I have you, but I feel lost.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:44 am

Managed to finish another chapter on New Year's Eve. That makes it 22/35, getting closer.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Jan 19, 2015 3:13 am

Close on finishing another chapter, hopefully over tomorrow it'll be in the books.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:55 am

As hoped I got the chapter completed, twelve more to go, although that number might increase.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:12 pm

Another chapter in the books, clocking in at 16 pages to bring my page total for the first book to an even 420. 11 more chapters to go, I reckon it will clock in at between 500-600 pages when it's done.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

Post by LondonChick62 » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:21 pm

Started a new novel today while waiting for "Rise" to finish being edited. Should get an idea for a release date soon, but I'm going to have some fun with this one!

“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:59 pm

That's fantastic news LC! Can't wait to hear more about it.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:00 pm

Here's more about the upcoming book I'm working on:

POWER PLAY

Alexandra “Alex” Galloway had lifelong ambitions of acting on Broadway, television, or in movies. Despite versatility in a wide range of regional dialects, stunt work, singing, ballroom dancing, archery, and field, street, and ice hockey, she has thus far been limited to an endless string of film extra and uncredited roles.

Alex’s small role in an underdog women’s hockey team film catches the eye of a visitor to the Vancouver set while in town for a game - Troy Talmadge, star and team captain of the American Hockey Conference’s Pittsburgh Rebels.

Dazzled by her on-ice flair, Troy appoints himself as Alex’s mentor. He urges his agent to take her on as a client and signed to a Women’s Hockey League contract, but the agent has something far better in mind: having her drafted as the AFC’s first woman player, specifically to the Rebels.

Will Alex survive the pressures that will accompany her professional hockey career...or will it slowly freeze much as her previous stint as an actress?
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:21 am

That's an intriguing premise, I'm looking forward to seeing where you take it.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:53 pm

Obviously it's fiction, but who's to say women won't play in the actual NHL one day?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Mar 12, 2015 7:37 pm

Actually, not such a distant dream as you might think, when I read the synopsis I thought of her:

That would be Manon Rheume, she's an Olympic silver medalist goalie in Nagano for team Canada's women's hockey team and two time gold winner in IIHF Women's World hockey. She also broke the gender barrier and tended net for Tampa Bay, albeit only in pre-season exhibition games, in '92 and '93.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:09 pm

I passed 10,000 words on the manuscript today!

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:09 pm

I think I may have found the perfect Alex for my “Power Play” novel!

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:28 pm

Oh my. Well, she gets my approval anyway.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:08 pm

LOL I just finished writing a scene for 'Power Play' where it's Casino Night for the Rebels and poor Alex feels uncomfortable in a cocktail dress. The guys whistling at her isn't helping matters...but that's all I'm giving away.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:38 pm

Sounds saucy.

I've been spending most of my writing time on editing lately. Making some headway with it too. I'm confident that the book is going to be quite readable post-edits.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:35 pm

So I had some time yesterday before last night's Pens game started and FINALLY finished my character outline for Power Play. Character outlines are a habit for me, since they not only give potential readers an idea of where the story is headed, but also a peek inside the characters themselves.

Anyway, I thought I'd share.

Power Play Characters

Main Characters

Alexandra “Alex” “Al” “Galla” Galloway, 22: Five feet tall and 140 pounds with reddish-brown hair and violet eyes, West Virginia native Alex was solely raised by her father, the late Quinn “Scot” Galloway, a Scottish-born laborer and groundskeeper who sometimes worked many as three jobs to cover basic household expenses, his beloved daughter’s lessons, and a move to New York to chase her acting dream. Her immature and irresponsible mother, Susan, abandoned the family when Alex was three months old.

Alex has training in acting, vocal music, ballroom dancing, archery, and hockey (field, street, ice). Her intended ambition since age six was to be an actress, but despite efforts made by her theatrical agent, Doris Mullens, Alex’s acting jobs were usually bit parts, walk-on roles, the chorus, or as a crowd scene extra.

When Doris sends her on an audition for Vancouver Venus, a motion picture docu-drama about the struggling Canadian Ladies Hockey League team, Alex is selected as a Venus center with three speaking lines. That role - and catching a prominent sports star’s eye - results in a more successful career she never before considered: becoming a professional hockey player best known for breaking the American Hockey Conference’s (AHC) gender barrier when she joins the Pittsburgh Rebels as its first female member.

She forms solid friendships with other teammates: fellow center Reggie Hebert; defenseman Byron “Preacher” Brady, forward Davy St. Cloud; right winger Brian Donahue, and goaltenders Pierre Germaine and Greise Faust.

Alex travels several bumpy roads early in her first year with the Rebels: being the target of pranks by four of her new teammates and endless sexist comments by veteran Jax Ivanka before she finds courage to confront him, enduring sports journalists, a finicky Rebels fan base, the team’s current roller-coaster season, and initial conflicts with her mentor, Troy Talmadge.

Troy Talmadge, 27: The 5‘11, 200-pound, dark-haired, dark-eyed captain hails from Yarmouth, Nova Scotia and takes pride in his Atlantic Canadian heritage. He’s been with the Rebels for nearly ten years, receiving flack from fans, detractors, and media alike during his career. Troy is professional, a total perfectionist, and always concentrates on the next game. He understands all ups and downs that come with the title of captain and usually handles everything well.

He's an incredibly fast skater, effective forechecker, phenomenal puck handler, sharp play reader, and his leadership role is vital to the team. Troy’s additional acumen for spotting new talent by “discovering” Davy St. Cloud and Alex Galloway made several key people take notice, from his agent, Glenn Collins, to Rebels management.

He’s focused, aggressive, and passionate, unloading a litany of profanities and complaints on referees when things go against his team. Away from the spotlight, Troy tends to be a bit shy and awkward. He dislikes taking “selfies,” and isn’t comfortable touching or being touched by strangers, evident in many fan photos that often show him hiding his hands in pockets.

Troy locks horns with Alex several times during her first months with the Rebels on several issues: her peanut M&M’s, Diet Pepsi, and coffee vices, not going to the gym more often, her (albeit harmless) flirtatious relationship with Jax, what Troy perceives as her being “overly friendly” with male fans, and occasional mistakes during important games. Nevertheless, the pair warm up after their respective hidden sides are revealed to one another. Alex takes Troy’s opinions to heart - though she doesn’t always agree with them - and never fails to express gratitude both publicly and privately for his contributions to her career. In return, he develops respect for her as both player and friend...and later as a woman.

The Canadians

Pierre Germaine, 30: The Rebels’ starting goaltender, the 6‘2, dark-eyed, shaggy sandy-haired,180-pound French Canadian from Quebec holds the current AHC record in shut outs among his many accomplishments. He is fluent in both English and French, switching between both languages with ease on appropriate occasions. Pierre has a strong media presence, is a family man, and along with German backup goalie Greise Faust, helps Alex ease into the transition of her new environment when she first arrives at the Rebels’ training facility.

Brian Donahue, 28: A 5'11, 190-pound right winger from Ontario with dark hair and brown eyes. He worked on a Texas oil rig while a senior in high school, where he was a star hockey player. Brian is deaf in his right ear as result of an explosion injury and wears a hearing aid, but doesn’t let this disability limit showing his true on-ice potential. He’s proficient in reading lips, but sign language skills are limited until Alex takes the initiative to teach him. Touched by her compassion, Brian designates himself as a big brother figure. He and Troy are equally critical of Alex’s bad habits when Brian isn’t being overprotective of her. He’s short-tempered and often involved in verbal and physical fights with opponents and teammates alike, resulting in trouble with coaching staff or racking up penalties.

Reginald “Reggie” Hebert, 26: Born in Montreal, the six-foot, 200-pound defenseman is product of a French Canadian father and Caribbean mother. He’s outgoing, friendly, and personable. As the team’s sole biracial member, Reggie understands Alex’s struggle of not being the “cookie-cutter white boy AHC player,” and goes out of his way to befriend her, sharing many aspects of the professional hockey world.

“Crazy" Vince Beaumont, 24: The sandy-haired, brown-eyed, 6‘6, 215-pound left winger from Calgary is more known in the locker room for his warped sense of humor than actual athletic prowess. His best friends on the team are Lenny Walton and Marty O’Freel, both whom Vince joins pulling pranks on teammates. Vince frowns upon Alex’s presence - though he does not voice his true feelings - in addition to holding a longtime silent resentment to Troy’s team captain status, making both Vince’s favorite targets for jokes.

The Americans

Marty “The Irish Warrior” O’Freel, 34: Born and raised in Missouri, Marty is occasionally teased by fellow players about his “ginger head,” blue-eyed pale features, and Irish ancestry. He joins Lenny, Jax, and Vince in playing practical jokes on Alex until she defeats the 6‘1, 210-pound defenseman in an locker room arm wrestling match. Like Troy, Marty is fully game-focused once on the ice and active in community projects, but exhibits crude behavior on occasion and despises team meetings.

Byron “Preacher” Brady, 31: 6'2 and 220 pounds, the well-groomed, dark-haired, hazel-eyed North Carolina youth minister-turned-Rebels defenseman can be brutal against opponents when the moment calls for it, yet a soft-spoken Southern gentleman behind the scenes. Byron still adheres to Christian values and is devoted to his family. He’s an enthusiastic participant in Rebels-sponsored charities, particularly those geared toward disadvantaged children and teenagers. He lends a non-judgmental ear to Alex when she airs grievances about everything from being on the receiving end of Lenny, Jax, and Marty’s hazing to frustrations with Troy. When he’s bemused or annoyed by teammates’ antics, Byron often uses the line “Y’all need Jesus.”

Lenny “Our Ho Ass Alternate” Walton, 25: The Rebels’ second alternate captain with an accent reflecting his native Georgia. With shoulder-length dark hair and brown eyes, 5‘10, 190-pound Lenny loves women and often brags about conquests with puck bunnies. He’s also into pulling practical jokes on fellow Rebels members, making Troy his favorite victim until Alex joins the team. Lenny is even-tempered with a pleasant personality aside from his constant pranks, but physically scrapped with opponents on occasion in the past.

Other Countries

Jax “Old Man” Ivanka (Czech Republic), 40: 6‘3 and 230 pounds with dark hair and blue eyes, Jax is Rebels’ oldest roster member and a longtime AHC veteran who openly disapproved of Alex being drafted to the Rebels. With help from Vince, Lenny, and Marty, Jax makes her the butt of team jokes, one which he hangs a large rubber snake in Alex’s locker after discovering her fear of the actual creatures. Jax dated many beautiful women during his career, but remains unmarried almost 20 years later. When confronted by Alex about his sexist views and hazing, Jax changes his initial opinion of her and the pair develop an innocent flirtatious relationship, much to Troy and Brian’s chagrin.

Greise Faust (Germany), 29: Pierre’s 6‘1, 220-pound backup goalie with a curly mop of light brown hair and stunning green eyes. A quiet and unassuming man, Greise was the 2006 Winter Olympics’ youngest goaltender, playing on the German hockey team at age 20. He’s had considerably less playing time with the Rebels than Pierre, but Greise demonstrates strong save-shot ratios against opposing teams during rare appearances as net minder, which helps build his confidence. He forgets names of new team members until better knowing them, first addressing Alex as “Galla” as part of such forgetfulness; when they become closer, Greise continues calling her “Galla” out of friendly affection. He curses in German when angry or upset, concerned with otherwise offending anyone within his presence, particularly Alex.

Boris Furishnykov (Russia), 28: First of the Rebels’ two alternate captains and one of Troy’s closest friends. At 6‘3 and 195 pounds with dark good looks, he has more than his share of female admirers. Boris’ English is shaky at best - he sometimes reverts to speaking his native Russian - but gradually improves in learning his second language. He tends to be emotional during media interviews in contrast to Troy’s calm outward demeanor, particularly when the team suffers long losing streaks. His presence intimidates Alex at first (mainly because of the semi-language barrier), but she soon comes to like Boris as a teammate and person, laughing at his corny jokes when no one else does.

Davy St. Cloud (United Kingdom), 27: Joined the Rebels after Troy successfully urged management to sign Davy following his and Troy’s teams facing off in the Winter Olympics hockey finals; Troy’s team captured the gold while Davy’s won a silver medal. Standing only 5'7 and weighing 165 pounds with black hair and gray eyes, London-born Davy is the AHC’s shortest forward known for his speed and uncanny ability to make goals during critical times. He is now an American citizen but still uses British slang, confusing most his teammates. Davy shares with Alex small stature disadvantages among other common interests, and they become best friends.

Johann “Baby Finn” Jokela (Finland), 17: The 6‘2, 195-pound, blond, blue-eyed, baby-faced defenseman is the Rebels’ youngest member. He’s overcome a number of adversities that include meningitis, a cancer scare, injuries, and recent surgery. Johann is friendly with his teammates, but sometimes feels left out due to his young age. He has no opinion one way or another about Alex being part of the Rebels; however, he openly admires her athletic ability.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu May 14, 2015 10:16 am

About to hit the 40,000 word mark on my latest book. I've been setting a goal of writing at least 1,000-2,000 words a day. I don't always meet it, but it's good to work toward something little at a time.