The Writers and Writing Stuff Thread

Anything goes forum. Discuss Politics, school, family, whatever you want.
LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: lacarrington1

The Writers and Writing Stuff Thread

Post by LondonChick62 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:41 am

I know there are a few writers on here besides me, so whether you're with a publisher, self-publish, or write for just plain fun, discuss experiences and/or post some of your work. I'm always interested in seeing what everyone else is doing. :D
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

meta
Title Contender

Re: The Writers and Writing Stuff Thread

Post by meta » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:49 am

For my Policy and Procedure class, we had to do a strategic planning statement for a company made up by the teacher, it is a green IT company with a small ecommerce side. Here was my statement (got 100% on it)

I. Executive Summary
With a focus on Green technology and a small but successful Ecommerce division, Green Globe helps both its customer’s wallets, and the environment to enjoy their newly expanded wealth.
II. Mission Statement/Vision Statement
Green Globe is an environmentally friendly IT company interested in creating new technology standards in the Green Earth Movement. We seek to preserve the Earth for future generations as we use our Ecommerce division to slowly amass the world’s wealth and rule our preserved planet with a Green clad fist.
III. Organizational Profile and History
Green Globe invests and backs many partners in the green technology field. Technologies such as solar panels, including experimental technologies such as solar roads, to reduce dependence on fossil fuels, affordable solid state hard-drives to reduce waste in landfills, and cheap, easily available Wi-Fi to reduce the constant need to dig more cabling. Our Ecommerce division is backed by proven minds that know how and when to play the markets to make money for our customers and our investors.
Damien Green has always had one vision: World Domination. To that end he followed the money trail to Wall Street, where he learned the tricks of the stock market trade. Upon setting up a small, yet successful Ecommerce business, Damien realized that the environment would be ruined before he could overthrow the world’s governments. Using resources gained through currying favor with successful trading partners, he began a movement for cleaner and more efficient technologies so there would be a world left to control.
IV. Strategic Issues and Core Values
Green Globe will invest in and develop clean energy and green technology to sell to any buyers, public or private. We care deeply about the assets of our customers and will do everything we can to give them the advice they need to increase their wealth as long as it remains beneficial to us. We are an open minded, progressive company. There is no discrimination in hiring or promotion practices based on race, gender, orientation or religion. We look only for the best in brilliant minds and those that think outside the box. We value drive, determination and loyalty. Success is greatly rewarded, failure is harshly punished.
V. Program Goals and Objectives
Green Globe’s ultimate goal is complete world domination of a beautifully preserved, fully sustainable Earth through stock market manipulation and favor curried from customers, partners and investors.

VI. Management/Operations Goals and Objectives
Management will be those driven enough to what needs to be done to succeed. Day to day operations will be lorded over and scrutinized with the harshest attention to detail. Management will observe their minions and underlings, weeding out those who cannot make it in the world domination market. They will continually push for better, more efficient technologies by any means necessary. Stock portfolios will be monitored to ensure our staff is giving sound advice in creating the best return on investment for our customers and partners.

meta
Title Contender

Post by meta » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:50 am

Poor format translation crits you for over 9000.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:26 am

I'm still working on my fantasy series, my job is becoming an obstacle as I work 12 hours a day and with travel, prep and sleep counted in leaves me with but an hour a day to write, tops and I'm usually exhausted. With that being said, I get one day a week off and I plan to make the most of it, such as today. I'm in my little dorm room on the job site with nothing but a cup of tea and I'm going to get some writing done dammit!

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:27 am

El Canuck wrote:I'm still working on my fantasy series, my job is becoming an obstacle as I work 12 hours a day and with travel, prep and sleep counted in leaves me with but an hour a day to write, tops and I'm usually exhausted. With that being said, I get one day a week off and I plan to make the most of it, such as today. I'm in my little dorm room on the job site with nothing but a cup of tea and I'm going to get some writing done dammit!
I know that feeling. Real life and procrastination can be writers' worst enemies. :D

Hope you have a productive day!
“I’ve been very fortunate to play this long, been a part of a lot of good organizations, played with a lot of great players, so it means a lot to me.” ~ Paul Martin on playing his 800th NHL game, December 2, 2016

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 11:31 am

It's productive thus far, thanks. How is your own work going these days? Got anything new in the works?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:19 pm

I'm working on another novel. It was supposed to be out this fall, but the publisher is pushing to either have it out closer to the holidays if not January 2015.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:04 pm

Awesome, don't let the publisher push you into it before you feel it's complete. Quality is the key. Not that I have to tell you that.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:26 pm

El Canuck wrote:Awesome, don't let the publisher push you into it before you feel it's complete. Quality is the key. Not that I have to tell you that.
Not in the least. My current book is still doing better than I expected, and it was released in March.

It's nice going back to fiction; nonfiction can be stressful to pull together.

stonecoldnimrod
Twitter: stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:00 pm

i'm workin on my first published e-book 'who buries the gravegigger?'. it about the past 2 years of my life from being unemployed to divorced to having my home foreclosed to near suicide to now. typing up all i've written on paper and then have it sorted through a site called smashwords where they upload it and format it for itunes and amazon and other sites to sell as well as their own. here's a piece i'm workin on to add to the book:

i'm searching for silence
my thoughts become riots
these voices in my head
i'm tossing and turning
these drugs aren't working
my eyes are bleeding red
if only i could sleep
just to dream is a dream
i'm motionless in bed
feels like my conscience
has become a hostage
to an empty promise
that's now filling me
filling me with dread...

the virus is spreading
this pain unrelenting
my patience wearing thin
too late for prescriptions
my one contradiction
i swore that i would quit
minutes become hours
i'm slowly devoured
crawling beneath my skin
feels like my conscience
has become a hospice
to all that has haunted
and now leading me
leading me to sin...

it hurts to breathe
feels like the weight of the world
i'm underneath...
facebook.com/houstonwrestlingradio

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:52 pm

That's an incredible piece Stone, I enjoyed it. I wish you success with your book.

stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:42 pm

El Canuck wrote:That's an incredible piece Stone, I enjoyed it. I wish you success with your book.
thanks, dude.

here's another one - 'fight fire with water'

an empty shot glass in my hand
finding it hard to understand
you could have fought fire with fire
but with water i expired
is that
how you pictured the fight to be our last?..

all that's left are photographs
that document our beaten paths...

an empty bottle in my hand
still struggling to understand
you could have yelled inches from my face
but your actions left behind a bitter taste
is that
confirmation of your final stand?..

all that's left are photographs
that document our beaten path
from thwe frames into the garbage
with whatever is left of my carcass...

i drink to remember
i drink to forget
but like a rush of blood to the head
it comes back to me
it's so sad to see
all that i lived for now dead
i drink to remember
i drink to forget
but like a bullet to the head
it's all black i see
it's so sad to be
where i was before we met...

a broken bottle in my hand
the only way to understand
is to fight fire with water
these last words within this blotter
in fact
with a silent whimper
i play this final act
my soul escapes this shell
my body still in tact.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:19 pm

Riveting work Stone. You have talent.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:42 pm

I finished another chapter lately. In a conundrum this past day or so, have had the next chapter outlined and plotted in my head during the day at work, but I'm so tired at night that I can barely write more than a few paragraphs.

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:21 am

That's what I've run into with writing up the Territories game. Trying to write when tired is just gruesome.

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:22 am

Never try to write when tired; just makes more work when it comes to editing time. :D

stonecoldnimrod

Post by stonecoldnimrod » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:28 pm

writing while tired is the physical equivalent to writer's block. if you need an hour or a night or day to refocus, then take it rather that just writing something down for the sake of doing somethin or tryin to be productive.

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:31 pm

'The Cruiserweight’s Daughter' ranked the following on US Amazon:

#28 in Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Nonfiction > Sports > Individual Sports > Wrestling
#77 in Books > Sports & Outdoors > Individual Sports > Wrestling

Here's the funny part...this book came out in October 2012 and the publisher no longer in business. :D

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:58 pm

I thought all your books were sold through the Palm Tree's label?

LondonChick62
Hall Of Famer

Post by LondonChick62 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:03 pm

El Canuck wrote:I thought all your books were sold through the Palm Tree's label?
The last four I wrote were published under the Palm Tree imprint.