The Ask El Canuck a Question Game

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
eobversion1

Re: The Ask El Canuck a Question Game

Post by eobversion1 » Sun May 08, 2016 9:19 am

Which is in better shape at the moment, this dumpster fire or the Republican Party of the United States?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun May 08, 2016 12:37 pm

The voter base of the Republican party are doing precisely what the party has been conditioning them to do for the last eight years: Fuck over the establishment by any means necessary. The party themselves and their megaphone network, Fox News, have been drilling it into the voters to work against the establishment at all costs, even if it means working against themselves and they are reaping that now in their own nominations in the form of their voters rallying behind a non-establishment (in their eyes, anyway) guy in Trump and telling the Republican establishment to go fuck themselves. It doesn't matter if Mitt Romney, Paul Ryan, Ted Cruz, the Bush family, the Koch brothers and every other Republican are against Trump, in fact, it helps Trump, because the Republican voters are so conditioned now to fuck over the establishment, that they will fuck over ANY establishment, even if it's their own and it's not in their best interests.

You can't have eight years of Republican congressmen and senators blatantly saying that they were going to fuck over Obama and his administration at every legal turn, not even humour the idea of working with him or any Democrat on anything, and then not expect your own voter base to do the same to you when you try to tell them how to vote. Trump is their karma. They won't learn a fucking thing from it, but it's their karma. They have earned this dumpster fire they've lit beneath themselves. They're the snake that's eaten itself from the tail up and I don't feel one bit sorry for them, they had every opportunity and the books of history themselves to avoid this mess and they made no attempt to do so.

So, the dumpster fire, to answer your question.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun May 08, 2016 1:30 pm

That sounds about right. I came across an article during the week that also shed a significant amount of light on their crisis.

''The Republican Party has become an insurgent outlier — ideologically extreme; contemptuous of the inherited social and economic regime; scornful of compromise; unpersuaded by conventional understanding of facts, evidence and science; and dismissive of the legitimacy of its political opposition.''

Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/in- ... ng-for-it/

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun May 08, 2016 1:46 pm

Utterly and totally inept at leading a bake sale, let alone a country. Even if Trump wins the presidential election, it's a Pyrrhic victory for the Republicans and a damning loss to everyone else both in the country and around the world. Yet, they would take that Pyrrhic victory over admitting they were wrong or back a Democrat.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:09 pm

The demographic and polling data doesn't suggest that Trump has a prayer in the General Election. Stranger things have happened though I suppose.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun May 08, 2016 5:29 pm

Those sort of polls lead to voter apathy and apathy is what someone like Trump needs to win. I refuse to discount Trump's chances.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:36 pm

I don't either. At the moment, every poll has Clinton beating Trump easily. Trump's popularity or lack thereof with women, black people, and Hispanics simply don't allow him to be president. There aren't enough angry white men for him to win. It's early days so I'm not too confident but I'm sure Americans will make the responsible choice as Obama said he has faith in the American people to know that being President is a serious job.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed May 11, 2016 1:25 pm

If The Winds of Winds is the penultimate ASOIAF book and has experienced this much of a delay do you reasonably expect GRRM to be able to complete a final book?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed May 11, 2016 2:33 pm

I don't know, to be quite honest. It's easy to speculate and Gandalf knows I certainly have, but having written a long fantasy book myself and now having it in print, I have a better understanding than I once did of the amount of time one of them takes to really write, complete, edit and print, not counting the time of illustrators, editors, and beta readers and it is time consuming. I'm a nobody, for that matter, just some dude that no one outside of my friends and family gives two shits about. I don't have the press and the convention circuit people knocking down my door to try and get me to appear for interviews and events, George does, to the point where he was written about how much of a distraction they cause and how he had to stop accepting requests at all just to get some measure of work done. He also took the time to write a bunch of individual GoT episodes, another side project he had to kick and speaking of side projects, he embarked on a few of those, like The World of Ice and Fire coffee table encyclopedia. Plus, there's regular distractions too, like TV, games and internet itself and even life itself, like (in my case) a job to put food on the table while I try to make this a profitable enough venture that I can devote myself to it full time, household chores, family, friends and so forth all take away from writing time and it adds up towards having a finished product.

Add to the fact that George's books are also longer than mine by a sizeable portion, (well, at least my first one, hard to say how big the others will get yet) and that he types with one finger on each hand (I can't fathom how he wrote five books averaging 1000 pages like that) and you get a huge task at hand in trying to complete two more. Can he do it? If he so desires, sure. He's learned now that he has to budget his public appearances to allow him time to write and that his side projects like writing episodes of the show are putting him way behind, so if he gets Winds out in the next year or so and takes a breather before A Dream of Spring, he will know what he has to do make ADoS a reality faster than TWoW.

Lastly, you can't rush creativity. If he's stumped, he's stumped, it happens to every artistic creator, regardless of the medium.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed May 18, 2016 4:10 pm

Ah I see. It's a big wait and see I suppose.

This isn't a question more of a statement

I think you would be very interested in checking out an upcoming film "The Neon Demon"

*wink*

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Wed May 18, 2016 4:16 pm

Why yes, yes I would be interested in that.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Thu May 19, 2016 1:50 am

Who in your opinion should rule all of westeros ?
I believe Jon snow and danerys should unite and rule but that's me
Do you agree or have you another person in mind ?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Thu May 19, 2016 9:16 pm

Personally I'm not entirely sold on Dany as Queen of Westeros. They say that the gods flip a coin every time a Targaryen is born and they either turn out kind or mad. I'm not convinced that she's not mad. I'm also not sold on her decision making skills, Jon is the more apt of the two, but that's not saying much. He did literally get himself killed for making stupid decisions, after all.

Actually, if my vote were to go to anyone as ruler of Westeros, it would be Margaery Tyrell. She's a cunning player of the game of thrones with a solid council in Olenna Tyrell with the deep reserves of Highgarden to back their family up. Marge is known for being loved among the people and was even able to make Joffrey almost seem palatable for a time. Sadly, Tommen, in the show anyway, (in the books he's just a little boy who hates beets), while showing aptitude for learning where his brother didn't, is still too wrapped around his mother's finger to make an apt ruler. She's a terrible influence and is likely to make another Joffrey of him. Sansa would also get my vote, as long as she keeps Brienne close and has her mount Petyr Baelish's head on a spike. Lastly, a nod to Sansa, Marge or Jon should they secure Tyrion as a councilor or Hand of the King/Queen. I don't see him ever wanting to rule the Iron Throne or being able to hold it given how much he's hated among the people, but he's an impeccable background player of the game and a valuable asset to any government.

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Fri May 20, 2016 12:37 pm

I agree that tyrion is more suited to advising a ruler than ruling himself.
I hate sansa stark, I know she has toughened up the past few series but she is still just so annoying.
Now to the question who's death do you think has had the most impact on the state of the iron throne ?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri May 20, 2016 1:04 pm

{ Deleted by Moderator }

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Goober that was not funny or appropriate my mother died 6 months ago. What does anyone think that kind of remark is at all funny I would request that it is deleted from the thread and I jhope goober that you have a think about your own mother and how it feels knowing that you will never get a I love you or a hug or even a telling off again

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri May 20, 2016 3:26 pm

Oh man, I'm not even touching that.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun May 22, 2016 12:40 am

I apologize stigsy. I did not recall and realize that. I meant it as a general exclamation, not as a commentary about you personally. My mom died 15 years ago in July, and I miss her as profoundly now as I did the day she passed away. None of that is any excuse because I offended you, and I am sorry. I hope you can accept my apology and my promise to be more aware of the lines trying to be funny can cross. This was totally my fault and I will be better.

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue May 24, 2016 10:48 am

I know it's easy pickings here but your thoughts on Ken Ham?

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Tue May 24, 2016 7:22 pm

An Australian born science teacher who up and moves from his home country only to plop himself down in a new country, in Kentucky, a place rife with right-wing, evangelical, blind-faith Christianity. Once there, he begins promoting himself as an evolution-denying preacher who relies on a particular brand of word salad to convince the followers dwelling in the aforementioned religious hotbed that he's someone they ought to listen to. Then, once he gains momentum he gets the millions in funding needed to start his dream theme park, complete with the landlocked ark, built hypocritically by modern conveniences, like power tools, cranes and bolt hangers. He's either a fraud, bilking naive bible-thumpers or a hair-brained idiot who somehow manages to stumble upward. My money is on the former and my basis for that comes from watching his debate with Bill Nye. Ham had a telling look on his face as he delivered his answers of carefully worded rubbish. He didn't need to provide evidence for anything he was saying, he didn't even need to refute what Nye said. All Ham had to do, and he seemed painfully aware of this, was give his followers enough to satisfy their confirmation biases. He lost, on a factual basis, Nye blew him away, however Ham never went into that match with the intention of winning the fight, he just had to play to his fanbase and that was what he did. Even the quotable final salvo, on the question of what evidence could make either man change his mind, Nye gave the more humble and honest answer in that any evidence that can withstand the scientific method could change his mind and I'm personally of the same mindset. Ham gave the answer he needed to give: He won't change his mind, because he believes he's right. In the religion game you can't be open to being wrong, your deity claim has to be the right one and anything to the contrary declared wrong or even blasphemous. That's why evolution is deemed a controversy to begin with: because it conflates with the origin story of the Abrahamic deity. Or at least in most Abrahamic sects and denominations, there are exceptions and I know there are many who subscribe to the Abrahamic deity and believe that evolution can still be a part of it, but the point stands and I digress. Ham has played a very careful game of selling himself and has become filthy rich off the backs of the religious. All from an unknown Australian high-school science teacher who uprooted himself to America and entrenched himself in the growing anti-intellectualism movement and became a semi-famous millionaire. Seems fishy to me.