The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:11 pm

Do you have feelings of inadequacy?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:29 pm

Yes, at the thoughtfulness of that question.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:34 pm

Would you call my question "The Award Winning Question", even if it hadn't won any awards?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:55 pm

No.

Mafwanix
Title Contender

Post by Mafwanix » Fri Nov 25, 2016 11:31 pm

This question assumes the location in your profile is accurate.

Q.Have you ever kissed the Blarney Stone?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:14 am

No. I expect questions of that calibre out of Jimmy, you should know better.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:20 pm

Do the Irish celebrate Christmas with mummering as we do here in Newfoundland?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 12:27 pm

I hadn't heard of that actually, I looked it up and as it turns out a variation of what you're referring to often happens on St. Stephen's Day or Boxing Day as it would be where you are. In Ireland, people who are known as Wren Boys go from house to house playing music collecting donations. It happens in some parts of Ireland more than others but overall I'd say you're correct in assuming that we celebrate in a similar fashion.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:05 pm

I had suspected some form of origin for the tradition in Ireland, being that it is by and large the ancestral home of the majority of the populace here. I've even heard grandparents refer to Boxing Day as St. Stephens day too, in the past. The Wren Boys is interesting, I did a bit of reading on the variations between the origins and what occurs here nowadays and it really hasn't changed much.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 6:19 pm

Good to know, it always interests me how traditions survive in different areas across different time periods.

For Irish surnames too, I've noticed a lot of Americans keep the H but don't pronounce it. The McMahon's being a clear example of that.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:19 pm

In that regard, Newfoundland is quite the hidden treasure. Between the Irish ancestry, British occupation and relatively late inclusion into Canada (1949) we have maintained much of our traditions and cultures from the British Isles. My grandparents, for example, were all born as British subjects, and three out of four of them were even born in the time when Newfoundland was self-governing. (they gave up that right in 1933 and were ruled directly by the crown until joining Canada in '49) The Irish language was not only heavily spoken here, but it is the only place to have not only its own distinct name in the Irish language, (Talamh an Éisc) but its own dialect here. We even have our own recognised genre of music just referred to as Newfoundland music that more or less incorporates the traditional Irish musical instruments and stylings into songs about the island. Most bands also sing the full gamut of traditional Irish songs as well.

An example: The Celtic Connection - Tim Finnigan's Wake.

The entirety of that band are from the collection of towns that I call home, as added trivia.

You could also look up the Masterless Men, the Navigators, the Irish Descendants, the Fables, the Ennis Sisters, the Derina Harvey band (whose cousin Glen is the lead singer of the Celtic Connection), Kevin Collins, Buddy Wasisname and the Other Fellers and a whole host of other bands.

It's an interesting place to check out. We're something of a forgotten gem in Ireland, but when people see what we're all about, they find themselves quite surprised at how close to Eire we really are. Just as Seán McGinley of Braveheart fame. He was a main star in the CBC (our equivalent of BBC) show Republic of Doyle and absolutely fell in love with the place. Tommy Tiernan (who I know Tamer doesn't much care for) was also quite surprised at just how Irish we actually are here and apparently enjoyed the Irish pubs on George Street in St. John's during a tour stopover.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:28 am

Given the success of the Star Wars revival and the success of spin off movies in general such as Rogue One and Fantastic Beasts, what non obvious Star Wars spin offs would you be interested in seeing?

An example being the young Han Solo movie that is confirmed to be happening.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:01 pm

Thanks for sharing that Nucks. Good to see the spirit of the Emerald Isle duplicated in another part of the world.
AndyF1069 wrote:Given the success of the Star Wars revival and the success of spin off movies in general such as Rogue One and Fantastic Beasts, what non obvious Star Wars spin offs would you be interested in seeing?

An example being the young Han Solo movie that is confirmed to be happening.
What I want more than anything are characters, arcs and filmmaking that is exciting, satisfying and worth my time.

After Rogue One though, I'm perfectly OK with not doing anything else that takes place between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope. What they have lined up anthology wise doesn't set my world on fire but doesn't bother me either. Only one other project has been announced, though, so we'll see.

Next year, I'm going to get the very thing I want to see, a Luke Skywalker film with 30 years of unknown history to unpack. You can't not be immeasurably excited for that. It also looks like we're going to get more of Obi-Wan too so if they keep going the way I think they're going they'll do well for themselves.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:17 pm

Where is the first place you think a pimp would look while searching for for a missing ho?

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:06 pm

La La Land

Have you/will you see it?

If you have, have you given thoughts?
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:35 pm

I'm seeing it this weekend. Will report back. A clear Oscar frontrunner it seems although some have been underwhelmed, it could just be a vocal minority I guess. We'll see I suppose.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:46 pm

I became aware of it through Hideo Kojima who is an absolute creative mastermind of video games (the brains behind the blockbuster Metal Gear Solid series). He bluntly said it's possibly the greatest movie he has ever seen. High praise.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 2:33 pm

I am familiar with Hideo, indeed very positive response from him. I'm sure it will live up to the hype when I head along to see it at the weekend.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:23 pm

AndyF1069 wrote:La La Land
The only reason I don't bitch at you for answering the question I asked to Evan, and the reason I don't bitch at Evan for not answering it, is because I botched typing the question and don't want to give it any more attention.

Either way, suck my hairy balls.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:28 pm

La La land is a movie. I wasn't answering your question, I was drawing attention to my topic. I would happily suck your balls though if you so desire.