The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
eobversion1

The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:01 pm

An unoriginal thread for some original answers. Ask Evan a question. He knows about some things, not so much about others. If it's guidance or clarity you seek then that works too.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Ask Evan A Question Thread

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:09 pm

What's your biggest secret?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:17 pm

I have a massive sun scare on my right shoulder that I have to treat regularly. I don't think anybody knows about it. I got in on holiday in Portugal 10 years ago when it was 40 degrees celsius every day. A mundane secret I know but a secret nonetheless.
Last edited by eobversion1 on Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:22 pm

If you were to be stranded on an island, (you'll be saved so you don't have to worry about building a boat or something to get off) and you can keep three things (anything will magically work functionally so you can have a car with an unlimited fuel supply, all electronics will work without charging, no catches), what would you pick?

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:27 pm

eobversion1 wrote:I have a massive sun scare on my right shoulder that I have to treat regularly. I don't think anybody knows about it. I got in on holiday in Portugal 10 years ago when it was 40 degrees celsius every day. A mundane secret I know but a secret nonetheless.
Are you embarrassed to let others see it, like you are hiding some hideous deformity?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 5:47 pm

Little Jimmy wrote: Are you embarrassed to let others see it, like you are hiding some hideous deformity?
I'd rather not show it to anyone, but I wouldn't embarrassed by it. I couldn't help it.
Goober wrote: Are you embarrassed to let others see it, like you are hiding some hideous deformity?
As long as it's purely for subsistence the three things I would bring with me are.

Depends on the island really but going by the Tom Hanks in Castaway Island I'm going to go with.

1. A slightly scaled down more dexterous machete. So I can down long grass, hunt, use it for fishing in the right circumstances and repurpose materials into a hammock or a blanket.

2. An endless supply of matches, I'm no good at starting fires by myself.

3. A unit to desalinize water. Like the one seen here http://www.treehugger.com/solar-technol ... ystem.html

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:04 pm

If you were to do direct a movie would you want a bigger budget with the restrictions of having to answer to other people, or a smaller budget that might have more restrictions of how to make your vision happen but less chefs in the kitchen?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:30 pm

GooberBM wrote:If you were to do direct a movie would you want a bigger budget with the restrictions of having to answer to other people, or a smaller budget that might have more restrictions of how to make your vision happen but less chefs in the kitchen?
Smaller budgets with less chefs definitely. Danny Boyle has made it work for over 20 years and I have no doubt I could make it work too. There's still a lot to be said about having people to answer to have people to answer to that help you refine and develop your ideas. If it's a few people then that could be beneficial if it's a committee, no way. I wouldn't expect to be allowed to run wild with just anything unless I had the reputation to back it up. I would only sell an independently financed movie to a studio after it's been finished.

I would work with a big budget if I went to a studio with a script and they said "We love it. Here's the money to make it. You can cut whatever way you want and we'll release it." let's face it that's not going to happen. For good reason too. I would be willing to compromise with a studio if they afforded me the money to get a certain actor for a role that only they could do. That's about the only circumstance in which I would be willing to make concessions.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:22 pm

Which of my recent movie reviews did you enjoy most, in the sense of the insight I made on it? Which would make you want to see the movie most?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:35 pm

It's not hard to coax me into watching a movie. I quite enjoyed your review of Inside Out, I would put that and Hard Candy on the same level. I was looking forward to "Inside Out" now I'm excited to see it. It opens here this weekend, but I don't know if I'll get the chance to check it out during the theatrical run. I'll certainly be checking it out.

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:45 pm

As you are aware, I regularly call you a hipster on this forum. Is a hipster something you would categorize yourself as, or just something you go along with because I say it all the time?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:00 pm

I can admit that I have some traits that are mildly related to what some might call "hipster". Overall, I prefer to align myself with recognised schools of thought that are truer to who I am or want to be rather than ingratiating myself. Sometimes there's overlap. Sometimes there isn't. As Plato says "know thyself". Most people fail to find meaning, break the law, or act irrationally because they can't apply this principle to suit their own personal development. To answer your question, I would say I'm about 25% hipster and 75% going along with what you say to avoid being a spoil-sport.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 9:35 am

Do you ever really sass Jimmy?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:51 am

I never set out to nor intend on sassing Jimmy. Sometimes my attempts at being playful are misconstrued as sass by Jimmy. Since sass is subjective and Jimmy is the one who considers himself to be sassed, then yes I really have sassed Jimmy on more than a few occasions.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:58 am

He is rather sensitive that way. That's why any time he asks me if he's being sassed I answer yes. I imagine someone is saying something, somewhere, that he will feel is sass.

If you could have an evening of dinner and drinks with anyone you've either met (I'll allow internet meeting, because this is a brave new world we live in) or have direct blood relations with (dead or alive), who would you pick?

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:44 pm

Interesting question, probably one that I don't really have an answer to. I've had dinner with most of my family so I have no real curiosity about them. If I had to pick probably both my grandfathers as I never really knew them. Since you're asking probably you as well, Goober as you've probably seen more films than Greg thus we would have more to talk about. Having dinner with someone like Jimmy would just ruin the mystique.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:23 pm

Who is your favorite Orphan Black clone? I wouldn't be shocked if we've gone over this already but hell if I remember

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:24 pm

I don't know if I have a favourite really. The show has done such a good job at spreading out each clone evenly to allow them to occupy their own unique space within the show. For plot I'm more drawn to Sarah, she's always on the search for answers in pursuit of liberation from her test tube nature, interestingly discovering that she was a clone allowed her to focus more on being a better person and mother even if that means endangering that ambition.

For entertainment I think I've mentioned this before but I find Alison to be deliriously enjoyable to watch, her endless string of goofs are never not great. The rest kind of fall somewhere in the middle for me. It's important that you can empathise with all of them, like some traits, not like others, they are different yet share the same DNA. They've always stayed true to that no matter what. To answer your question at a push Sarah but it's their combination is what makes it really work for me.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:48 pm

You can keep Allison. In a vacuum her hijinx are entertaining, but man after 2 (I'm sure 3 now) seasons of her being a growing liability just gets on my nerves. But she does give Felix someone to play with when Sarah's off brooding, so I'll allow her to stay. Kinda begrudgingly

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:19 pm

I will keep her. Her role has changed a bit in S3 so that might freshen things up for you. Any more questions?