The Ask Goober a Question Game

Thread games, where a members posts and everyone replies over and over.
stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Re: The Ask Goober a Question Game

Post by stigsyv1 » Thu May 05, 2016 11:19 pm

Who has the better tv universe dc or marvel

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri May 06, 2016 8:24 pm

DC, easily

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri May 06, 2016 8:54 pm

Have you seen Daredevil?

Follow up: are you aware that Jon Bernthal's Punisher is getting his own spinoff series?

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri May 06, 2016 9:47 pm

I don't have Netflix so I have not. And I was not aware of that, but based on the acclaim the character received, it does not surprise me

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Fri May 06, 2016 9:48 pm

I encourage you to seek out Daredevil. Or Netflix in general, as Marvel is doing quite well there.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sat May 07, 2016 6:58 am

When I find a sugar momma who wants to pay for Netflix for me, I think I can make time to get around to that.

I said DC because I've heard very good things, at various points, about The Flash, Arrow, and Supergirl plus Gotham has gotten passably shaky reviews from people depending on how you feel about the storylines at any given time. Marvel doing well on Netflix is great, but Agents of SHIELD has been a disappointment so that counts heavily to me

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue May 10, 2016 5:39 am

Your thoughts on Carol? Feel free to be as detailed as you like.

“What a strange girl you are. Flung out of space.....”

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue May 10, 2016 2:56 pm

Like that's the thing. I've got thoughts, some fully formed and others flying by the seat of my pants. If we sat down with some drinks, we could banter back and forth for hours about it I have no doubt. But something about the movie doesn't even need explaining or thoughts. It's part character study, part slice of life engagement, part coming of age story or sorts, and it's just two people...being.

It's a terrible relationship, from the moment Carol locks eyes with Therese. Carol is totally self-aggrandizing her internal value (with the deterioration of her life) at Therese's expense, and Therese is so far taken with the positive attention of someone who gives her a shred of acknowledgement that she willfully doesn't see the doleful circumstances she's being brought into, even as they explode around her.

There is almost nothing redeeming about their relationship, it's caustic and toxic (and would be if it was 2016, which is to say nothing of the time period they were together in), and ostensibly ruined them both (Therese metaphorically, Carol rather literally)...and yet by the end you can see how much none of that even remotely matters to either of them. There's something beautiful in that, honestly.

We're allowed a glimpse into their world, when both were empty and looking for something to fulfill them, only to find that it isn't really out there to find. Yet they still try to make something of it, with each other, overt consequences be damned. And the movie never really flinches away from it. It's not a romantic or brave notion, what they're doing. And several people accurately point out how stupid and rather selfish it is of them to partake in this relationship. And by the end, you're not even rooting for them to make it. But you do want to see things through to where they're headed. You want to know where this road might lead. And that's more valuable than holding your hand to a happily ever (or never) after.

You and I find immeasurable joy in thoughtful movies, Evan. This is definitely one for the ledger

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Tue May 10, 2016 3:15 pm

I feel similarly to an extent. It's an extension of human nature to engage in relationships wanting to be understood and seen yet circumstance and motive never quite put people in sync. It's fascinating. Therese and Carol are at two different points in their lives, yet want different things from each other that have different implications.

I was mesmerised from start to finish, except for the clearly fake driving after Carol picks up her gloves. Every touch the trains, the dolls, the gestures, the looks is detailed and photographed so immaculately it actually manages to take on a life of its own. I can't sing the film's praises enough.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Tue May 10, 2016 8:32 pm

There is something about the movie where you know it's a movie. They know it's a movie. It's a movie...but it doesn't feel like you're watching a movie. It's hard to describe, because it's not exactly feeling like you are them, but if a movie can have an out-of-body experience, watching Carol is what that would feel like. It's really a remarkable thing

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Wed May 11, 2016 12:09 pm

That's high praise. Transcending the medium is what it's all about. Many legendary filmmakers weren't understood in their time but gained recognition years later because of their work. Perhaps it's a drawback of deliberately trying to make a film that's out of time. They understood the power of timelessness. 2001 and Lawrence of Arabia will never be old. It's what frustrates me about most blockbusters, they can be Star Wars, Jaws, Indiana Jones and Back to the Future but choose not to be. Very few directors understand the power of having such a large canvass.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Wed May 11, 2016 12:24 pm

That's a matter of skill and capability as much as anything. Most of the time, the directors that get those big blockbuster films know they are playing to a very general public and keep things in a certain vein to market to the most people. Jurassic World, I think is a good example of that. There were massive plot holes, things that were brought up and never explained, and I still don't know what the purpose of the assistant was except to make Claire look like a woefully inept aunt and then get eaten, or the kids who had absolutely zero purpose in the movie (because it certainly wasn't to put skin in the game for Claire, who was actively unconcerned with her nephews for long stretches). But holy shit did Chris Pratt and Bryce Howard's chemistry keep that movie afloat till we got to the last half hour where they said "if we can get them to the last act, we'll win them over" and boy did they. But the movie COULD have been so much more than it was.

Something like Carol, or Hard Candy, or Ex Machina are much more intimate experiences that aren't looking to paint broad strokes like some other movies. They have broad themes, but it's meant to target something very specific inside of each person that sees it and is okay with triggering different things in different people. They are movies that very actively have SOMETHING to say, and have a depth and confidence that allows each member of the audience that watches it to come to their own conclusion about what that something is. Like I said before, we have a shared affinity for thoughtful pieces of work because we like to think things out. Not just the initial stuff on the surface, but we thrive on digging deeper and finding what is below the surface. A movie like Carol is so unconcerned with the surface and leaves so much to be found if you dig a little deeper, no wonder you adore the movie. It was crafted for you, Evan

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Thu May 12, 2016 1:24 pm

Totally agree about JW, it was very much throwing stuff at the wall to see what stuck. It got off by the skin of its teeth by being as good as it was.

That's definitely it, build tension with scale or intimacy. Chamber pieces are hard to get exactly right. Those you mentioned are good examples of that The Thing and The Hateful Eight don't quite achieve that by hanging their hat on MacGuffin's rather than naturally occurring tension between characters. That's kind of why I don't really jam with movies/tv shows that try to do both. Unless you're David Lean, which let's face it you're probably not you can never have your cake and eat it too. If you're going to do something, really dig in, don't pussy foot around. Be sui generis or GTFO.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri May 27, 2016 5:27 am

What does it say about me that I can identify so much with this video?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri May 27, 2016 9:28 pm

I dunno exactly. Because Brett Ratner is a total tool, but The Family Man is still my favorite modern Christmas/Holiday movie. So...yeah I'm conflicted

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat May 28, 2016 5:53 am

Yeah, sure, he was just the scapegoat for that scenario of in polite company a person saying something outlandish but somewhat trivial and not knowing how it will be received by others.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sat May 28, 2016 6:49 am

Ah, I was looking at it from a movie perspective and not that perspective. If you end up more like Shirley, then that's tough for just wanting to be able to enjoy yourself and share what you like with people only to have it blow up in your face. This is why I can't talk about really enjoying Girl Meets World with people....

If you are more like Abed, don't be that guy. Let people like what they like, ya JERKFACE!

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Sat May 28, 2016 7:14 am

I getcha. What I was getting at is the sense of neuroticism that comes when "Bret Ratner is the new Spielberg" is bandied about. Critically it's near impossible to make that case but personally, it's a matter of taste. I suppose I find it interesting that genre provokes such entrenched personal biases. In the context of that episode, it definitely doesn't judge him favourably for being THAT neurotic.

eobversion1

Post by eobversion1 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:39 pm

Was your new suit the time you treated yourself the most?

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:55 pm

That was the most treated I've been, in terms of something I'd be willing to discuss in an open and public forum