WWE Wrestlemania 33 - Discussion Thread

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: AndyF1069

Re: WWE Wrestlemania 33 - Discussion Thread

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:43 pm

RIP Undertaker
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:51 pm

That Tombstone reversal spot was not the best.

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:53 pm

The improv by Roman was good, he wasn't at fault for that failed spot.

This is getting rough to watch.
"My favourite spot is the one where I would pick him up for an aeroplane spin and rotate as many times as possible. He’d be so dizzy that he would try to pin the referee, and I’d count to three and he’d think that he won - Daniel Bryan

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 11:56 pm

I'm having flashbacks to WM30 where I couldn't tell if Taker was selling or not able to go on. It wasn't a good feeling.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:00 am

This match really shouldn't have gone on last. Doesn't take away from the rest of the show, but it's definitely anticlimactic. There was no storyline stipulation, no streak, no retirement if I lose announcement. Nothing was at stake. All we got was a below standard match from a 50 year old man and a guy who has proven he can have great matches with those who are capable.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:02 am

At least Undertaker isn't concussed this time.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:12 am

Shit just got real. The moment he kissed Michelle McCool, it got real. Damn, he's really hanging them up.

Save for the mess ups, that was actually a decent match.

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:13 am

I can take back the match placement after the way the show ended. That was bittersweet, but done really well.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:34 am

So bittersweet. Pretty much all of us grew up with The Undertaker, hard to to be legit sad that yeah, this is it 😢.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Mon Apr 03, 2017 12:42 am

He had a helluva career.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Mon Apr 03, 2017 1:16 am

edit

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Hope we get a good send off tonight for him if that was his last match

Quinn
VIP Member

Post by Quinn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Just some quick spin.

Well what can be said about the Undertaker that hasn't already? Well done on such a wonderful career.

I am going to call this now, unless it already has been, Lesnar vs Reigns two. Rollins cashed his MOTB contract during their match at 'Mania before so that was never finished properly. They are the only two men to have beaten the Undertaker at 'Mania and now Lesnar is Universal Champion. This is going to happen.
Thus Quoth the Quinn "When I want your opinion I'll give it to you!"

Quinn's Cement Soup - When you think of Cement Soup; Think of Quinn's Cement Soup!

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:00 pm

^ That has already been the leaked plan for next year. The match between Reigns and Lesnar was actually going good and the story was being told well, should be an interesting road to 34 if they stick with that plan.

Here are some of my final thoughts on what happened last night.

https://machomars.blog/2017/04/03/rest-easy-deadman/

Quinn
VIP Member

Post by Quinn » Mon Apr 03, 2017 8:03 pm

Well that's me told. ;)
Thus Quoth the Quinn "When I want your opinion I'll give it to you!"

Quinn's Cement Soup - When you think of Cement Soup; Think of Quinn's Cement Soup!

AndyF1069
Hall Of Famer

Post by AndyF1069 » Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:33 am

I wrote up a review for Wrestleview but it might not be possible to publish it so rather than have it go to waste, I'll let y'all enjoy my fabulous work. Keep in mind this is aimed at visitors of the website, rather than the regulars of this forum. I'm also too lazy to remove formatting things such as <h3> (subsection headlines). This is a draft so I haven't double checked for formatting, grammar or punctuation errors.

<H3>The build up to Wrestlemania</h3>

"The Ultimate Thrill Ride". Hearing that catchphrase several times per show got old really fast. There's nothing like watching two superstars in a heated exchange with each other but making sure to mention "The Ultimate Thrill Ride" to keep me immersed and suspend my disbelief. When The Undertaker even managed to throw in the catchphrase, I rolled my eyes so far into the back of my head that I could have passed off as 'Taker himself. However, the catchphrase ultimately served its purpose. The connection to Orlando and theme parks was seemingly lost on a lot of people, myself included in the build up, but became clear once the stage was revealed. Now that the event has passed, we can say that the night itself was indeed a thrill ride with the highest of highs and lowest of lows. Last year with the injury pandemic, the expectations of Wrestlemania 32 were quite low. It wasn't a bad show by any means, but with the talent on the roster at the time, what it could have been and what it ended up being (largely due to the injuries) was a disappointment. So with that in mind, I understand the hype train going all out this year. Some matches were a bit of a surprise initially. AJ Styles vs Shane McMahon? John Cena in a tag team match against the Miz? And matches that weren't surprises felt as if they had a lot to live up to and I wasn't sure they would do so, such as Brock vs Goldberg and Roman vs 'Taker. As we got closer to the big show, some of these questionable matches soon became must see. Some others, not so much. So with all that said, let's dive headfirst into each match.

<h3>Austin Aries vs Neville (C) for the Cruiserweight championship</h3>

I was a bit disappointed that this match wasn't on the main show, but I also understand that it served a purpose. This was a match that would be available for the public to watch and might just be the match that convinces them to go ahead and purchase the network to watch the show. It shows the faith that WWE has in both Neville and Aries to place them in this position. It also helps that the stadium was fairly packed even this early into the show. Going into the match, both men were must see parts of the show. Since returning and turning heel, Neville has been on fire. He speaks with passion and makes you believe that he means what he says. That the fans don't support him and that he is the elite of the division. With the performances he has put on, it's hard to argue otherwise. Austin Aries was introduced to the general audience as a commentator. I have to wonder how many casual fans didn't actually realise that he was a wrestler. His injury was not mentioned until relevant. When Austin was interviewing Neville and ultimately dropped him with the discus "fivearm", he made an instant impact and became a big deal on the spot. He immediately "established" himself by winning a multi man match. Given how dominant Neville has been, Aries is the first person who has come across as legitimately seeming like a threat to Neville, which added to the intrigue of the match.

The match itself was a ton of fun. I have gripes, but they have nothing to do with the match itself. First (and this will be a recurring problem) I dislike that there was no championship introduction for each competitor. These introductions give matches that extra sense of importance and aren't exactly time consuming. Second, was it necessary to have commercials during the match and not immediately after? Both men put on a hard hitting, fast paced affair. Cruiserweights still have a bit of stigma of "flippy shit", despite the abundance of different styles from the wrestlers in the division. The women still have a small bit of stigma from the days of girls with looks ahead of girls with athletic and technical ability. This stigma for the women has decreased massively over the last couple of years, and rightfully so. Matches of the quality and performance of Aries and Neville are what will be what helps remove the stigma of "flippy shit". The problem is getting people to watch and care, especially for people who DON'T have the network. They're definitely on the right tracks with the division. I don't know anybody who didn't care or expect a high quality performance from these two men. The challenge will be making us care for the rest of the division as much as we do about Aries and Neville. Hard hitting, fast paced matches that are given plenty of time and with athleticism that doesn't take away from the story being told, this is what the division does best. But we need to emphasis story telling. This match had it in abundance. Neville attacking the injured eye socket of Aries that kept him out of action for so long and reluctantly pulling out the audience pleasing (to the chagrin of Neville) high flying and hugely impactful Red Arrow out of necessity to put Aries away. The ending was fantastically done and makes me eager for more. Great match from start to finish, even with the silly placed commercials.

<h3>Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal</h3>

Can't say I was too excited for this years match, especially with the relegation (again) the the pre show. Going into this, I expected Sami Zayn to win via eliminating Braun, given the story involving him going into the match. I also figured there was a fair chance of Mojo Rawley winning based on all the build up on Smackdown he has been getting over the last few weeks, specifically to do with the Battle Royal. As the competitors were making their way to the ring, some things stood out immediately to me. First, the Big Show looked miserable. The kind of look that seemed to say "stay the hell away from me or I'm going to rip your spine out and eat it for dinner". Next was all of the Smackdown Tag Teams in the match. The Uso's have added a much needed level of intrigue to this division over the last few weeks. Bray and Orton winning the titles for five minutes and American Alpha just existing for no reason as champions took away from all of the build up and fun of the tournament that led to Rhyno and Heath Slater winning the titles. I find it really hard to believe that seven to ten minutes of time couldn't have been spared for a Tag Team championship match on the pre show. Within two minutes it was immediately apparent why the Big Show was in the mood he was in. He has spent the last year of his life getting into phenomenal shape and hyping up a match with Shaq in a Wrestlemania Show has publicly stated will be his last, only to get eliminated from a pre show battle royal in 120 seconds. I guess a similar mindset could be applied to Braun. He has been built as an absolute Juggernaut who takes no crap from anybody, only to be eliminated in 180 seconds. I guess with how many matches ended up on the card (13) it makes sense that Braun didn't get a one on one match. Being eliminated so fast likely won't hurt him in the slightest, but it didn't do him any favours either.

As for the match, it was what it was. There's no real way to describe 350 people all doing things at once until the bodies clear out. There is so much going on that it's impossible to know who did what. I honestly did not even notice American Alpha until the first member was eliminated. I didn't see much of Tian Bing either, but I'm sure the Chinese audience watching Wrestlemania for the first time were happy to see him. Fast forward and we're down to Mojo and Mahal. I've seen a lot of comments expressing surprise at Mahal being the last opponent for Mojo, but it shouldn't be really. Mahal has been getting a lot of airtime in recent weeks. He was competitive in a match against Roman Reigns and bested Rusev in a brawl at Fastlane to determine who would face an opponent first. He did so viciously too, a running knee that almost knocked Rusev into orbit. He's not the goofy out of place member of 3MB anymore. It'll take time to see him as a player, but he's definitely not on the bottom of the totem pole anymore. As for the celebrity involvement, I'm from the U.K. This meant nothing to me, but I'm sure it was a cool moment for many. Also, kudos to the security guard who did her job. She isn't at fault for not being told the plan and is seen laughing with Charles Robinson a few moments later in the background. All in all, the battle royal feels less important than it did last year. Last year had a royal rumble esque feeling with surprise entrants such as DDP, Tatanka and Shaq. Baron Corbin has been a big deal on Smackdown and every week we are reminded that he is the winner of the memorial battle royal. When was the last time we heard that about Cesaro? Time will tell if this means anything for Mojo. He has done well for himself since the unfortunate injury to Zack Ryder. I was a bit surprised to hear Booker T refer to Ryder, a former Tag, US and IC champ as "loose baggage". But I guess with lines like that, we can expect to see a lot of Mojo in the future.

<h3>Baron Corbin vs Dean Ambrose (c) for the Intercontinental championship</h3>

I was very surprised to see this match on the pre show (and once again, no championship introduction). This has been one of the biggest storylines on Smackdown in recent weeks. The story is very easy to understand. Dean eliminated Corbin from the Elimination Chamber and Corbin being the grumpy bastard that he is, wanted to make Dean suffer before making him lose something he cares about. Suffer he did, Dean has been jumped time and time again and given some brutal beatdowns. The forklift was something unique, I've never seen anything like it before. Dean would get his own revenge every now and then, but this match is the chance to finally lay it all on the line in a brutal match of epic proportions. Or so you would think. Dean has been a weird case in his WWE tenure. He's either one of the most exciting things of the week that we look forward to, or he's just another guy. He struggles with consistency. He's proven he can have great matches, but he's also proven that he can follow a safe and trusted formula and put on an okay match. Corbin has only been around for a handful of years. He's improved by leaps and bounds in that time. He's confident, he knows exactly what his character is and he does what is expected of him. He's an athletic big man who never forgets his role, to be the bully who insults your mother, spits in your food and kicks you when you are down. Being on Smackdown has done wonders for him. He has been able to have the spotlight on him, especially in Talking Smack segments. He usually delivers, often above what would be expected. He is extremely athletic and so damn smooth. He is also consistent, but he is still inexperienced and this is easily the biggest match of his career. This match was either going to be a match that is consistently good, or it was going to be a fantastic brawl. Unfortunately it was the latter. Watching this match felt to me like watching an episode of Smackdown, in a stadium with 70,000 people. It was fun and entertaining with a smooth and cool looking finish, but it was just too much of the same old same old throughout the match. I don't know if this was a time restraint, a lack of motivation at being on the pre show or if they just couldn't rise to the occasion together. I can easily see the two of them having much better matches together, so it's a bit of a shame that the match wasn't as good as it could have been. I expected Corbin to win the championship, but I'm not disappointed that Dean won. I expect this feud to continue and Corbin will have his time to shine.

<h3>Wrestlemania begins</h3>

With how international Wrestlemania has become as well as the roster of WWE, it seems a bit odd to me to sing America the Beautiful at the start of each show. Maybe that's to do with me being from the U.K though. I have no problem with it, I just wonder if it's a necessary tradition. Perhaps it's just a chance to have another up and coming celebrity to appear. If that's the case then it's more understandable. I've never heard of Tinashe, but she did a wonderful rendition of the song. There's an irony that the opening video package literally begins with "you have come from all around the world, all walks of life". WWE does some of the best (if not the best) video packages in the world. The opening to Wrestlemania is always something to look forward to. The first 60 seconds were exactly what I come to expect and thought they were fantastic. The roller coaster effect with the visuals is fitting with the "Ultimate Thrill Ride" tag. It stretched a little bit long, but it was a good reminder of everything to expect that night, especially for casual/first time viewers. The New Day did New Day things. Not quite Hogan, The Rock and Austin, but thankfully not 30 minutes either.

<h3>AJ Styles vs Shane McMahon</h3>

A matchup that I'm sure bewildered a lot of people initially. I certainly had raised eyebrows. Many wanted AJ to be in a match with a more qualified opponent in order to have a high quality match and it an absolutely reasonable thing to want. Wrestlemania only comes once a year. That said, Shane McMahon is the person who got put into Hell in a Cell with the Undertaker at Wrestlemania which was possibly the match that garnered the most attention. Shane is an attraction, moreso now that he is "The Boss" so what does it say of the office's opinion of AJ that they picked him to be the opponent for Shane? It's very rare to face "The Boss". This is an extremely high profile match that AJ will likely be better off for having been a part of, even if it wasn't the five star masterpiece that we know AJ can have. Those high quality matches will come regardless of if it is Wrestlemania or not and AJ is a higher value commodity because of feuding with Shane.

All of that said, this match was amazing! Shane has proven that he was go, so I think some of the people expecting a dud were a little bit unreasonable. Shane put on the performance of his life and AJ did what AJ does. Shane took an absolute beating, props to him for that. Some of the things we saw in this match, I've never seen before. Countering the springboard 450 into a triangle choke? (P.S that transition into the Styles Clash from the triangle was beautiful). Phenomenal forearm countered into a DDT? And of course we got the things we have seen before, but which are never not highly entertaining. The elbow drop into the table and the Coast to Coast are Shane McMahon trademarks and they never get old. I'm glad that Shane didn't try to jump off the entrance ramp roller coaster prop. I still get anxious thinking about him and the Hell in a Cell last year. Can we also highlight that Shane McMahon is 47 years old and pulled off an absolutely beautiful Shooting Star Press? Shane more than held his own in this match and it was a match that was worthy of the Wrestlemania platform. Fantastic stuff and a hell of a way to open the show.

<h3>Kevin Owens vs Chris Jericho (c) for the United States Championship</h3>

(no championship entrance) Oh man, the feels going into this. I was legitimately sad when Kevin turned on Jericho. I have been entertained so much by this pairing over the last year and I didn't want it to end. The moment that Jericho said "Why is my name on the list?" at the festival of friendship, my heart sunk. Sadly, all good things must come to an end. Of course the logical thing to do all along was to pair them up at Wrestlemania. This is a match with almost a year of (silent) build up, something of a rarity in modern wrestling. A few months ago I would have assumed it would be for the Universal championship. The United States championship has become an afterthought whilst Jericho has been holding it. It's a bit of a stretch to think that Owens cared about taking the championship from Jericho, especially when he has acknowledged on tv that he is owed a rematch for the Universal title. It's also a stretch to think that KO willingly chose not to have his rematch sooner. Why would he not want to walk into Wrestlemania as the main champion of the Raw brand? Those are minor gripes though and in no way at all take away from the feud or the match. I enjoyed the classic countdown for Jericho's entrance and loved/hated the light up scarf.

The match itself was a solid affair. It was intense, believable and told a strong story. Owens shouting at his opponents isn't anything new, but they added more than normal to this specific match. Having to constantly remind Jericho that he wasn't his friend and telling him he has no friends, that's so mean. We saw some unique counters such as the Cannonball into a Walls of Jericho and a Pop Up Powerbomb into a Codebreaker. Also fitting of KO to use the Walls of Jericho on Jericho. The end was brutual, but also told a perfect story and was an extremely fitting way to end the match. The Powerbomb to the apron is something Kevin only does with the intent to severly hurt people. The same move that took out Sami Zayn (another "former best friend"). We can safely expect another Apronbomb to Kevin's next friend. Solid match, plenty of memorable moments.

<h3>Nia Jax vs Sasha Banks vs Charlotte Flair vs Bayley (c) for the Raw Women's Championship</h3>

The most obvious point of criticism going into this match is shared by many. Charlotte has been undefeated in championship matches on PPV for over a year and for 16 straight PPV's. Wouldn't the bigger story be for her to FINALLY lose at Wrestlemania? That itself would be a Wrestlemania moment, but then we add in the ultimate underdog Bayley. She exists to have that Wrestlemania moment. She should always be chasing and failing until ultimately, at the grandest stage, she defies the odds. Two Wrestlemania moments for the price of one and with the exact same match that would have happened anyway. I also had a fantasy of the undefeated NXT Women's champion taking on the Queen of PPV and undefeated (on PPV) Charlotte at Wrestlemania. It wasn't to be.

Each woman stood out in this match, from their unique and spectacular entrances to the fantastic moments throughout the match. Nia Jax looked like an absolute behemoth and it took all three of the other women to slay her. Charlotte's Corkscrew Moonsault was jaw dropping. I had flash backs to last year's Triple Threat match, but this was a step above what she did last year. Sasha was as slippery as always, transitioning into the Bank Statement over and over. She did a a great job of playing dead after being dropped into the exposed steel turnbuckle. The ending was a bit of a surprise, a Macho Man inspired Elbow Drop. It was a nice touch, but I can't help but feel that we missed out on the great Wrestlemania moment described earlier. Bayley winning the big one with a move of one of her idols against the undefeated evil Flair. All in all it was a very well done match. There are no complaints about the performance that these ladies gave us.

<h3> Hall of Fame celebration</h3>

Where was Howard Finkel? The Hall of Fame the prior Friday was another fantastic night. Every person inducted has earned it. Fun trivia is that Edge and Beth are the only married couple in the Hall of Fame. For the sake of time I won't comment on everyone, but I will say that on the Wrestlemania stage, the visual of the camera behind Kurt Angle with us able to see the majority of the audience and with his arms in the air, his music playing - that gave me goosebumps. I'm so happy to see Kurt back home.

<h3>Enzo and Big Cass vs Sheamus and Cesaro vs The Hardy Boys vs Gallows and Anderson (c) for the Raw Tag Team Championship</h3>

You know the ramp is too long when Enzo and Cass can do their whole verbal shtick before reaching the ring. I adored the entrance of Cesaro and Sheamus. That entrance also told a story. That they wore matching tear off outfits and sunglasses (Cesaro staple) and both wore kilts (Sheamus staple) and posed together? A year ago they were beating the ever loving hell out of each other every week. Their pairing was odd, but it was a decision that paid off. Oh and The Hardy Boys turned up. Wait what?! The Ultimate Thrill Ride was at maximum velocity at this point. This was one of the most exciting moments in Wrestlemania history. Also these crazy bastards were in a ladder match the night before.

I'll be honest, I wasn't excited about this match going in. The three original teams don't really seem like the type that would put on a great ladder match. We have two big brutes, a giant and a midget and an Irish fella and a Swiss Secret Agent who will punch, kick and uppercut you in the face.But then you add in the Hardy Boys? The whole match perception changes drastically. If you forget about your emotional attachment to the two, they are proven to be extremely exciting in ladder matches. It was also funny to see that Matt is only somewhat Broken now. It does make total sense though. The majority of fans have no idea about the Broken Hardys and would be perplexed if they announced Jeff as Brother Nero. It's easy enough to resolve. Being back in the WWE has brought peace to the brothers. Give it a few months and Jeff will make a mistake that will trigger Matt. They will feud, Matt will break again and the cycle continues. I don't expect Jeff to follow the Broken path however, he's too much of a hot commodity to not be the Charismatic Enigma. If the Hardys are under a multi year deal then I expect them both to be in the main event championship scene in the future.

Oh right, a match took place There were so many memorable moments in this match that it seems a bit silly to try to highlight them. The Club beat people up, Cesaro swung people, Sheamus went a clubbin'. Enzo was a ragdoll and the Hardys jumped off ladders. What isn't there to love? This match likely would have exceeded my expectations even without the presence of the Hardys. Their presence added an energy that seemed to amplify everything. The return of the Hardys will likely overshadow the match itself when Wrestlemania is looked back upon, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. A decade from now, all of the other members of this match will still be featured in the highlight reels of memorable Wrestlemania moments.

<h3>Maryse and The Miz vs John Cena and Nikki Bella</h3>

Who would have thunk that we would have John Cena facing off against The Miz at two different Wrestlemanias, let alone one? It's a testament to the work that Miz has done over the last year. Bringing back Maryse has done wonders for him and he has lived up to his moniker of being "must see". He has been on fire whenever he has been displeased with Daniel Bryan, and he finally turned that fire onto somebody else - John Cena. The segments leading up to this match have been knocked out of the park everytime. From the "shoots" from both sides to the lost footage of Total Bellas. If we ignore the big elephant in the room of what was expected after the final bell was rung, this was a match that I would have wanted to see anyway regardless of the expected quality. The elephant can't be ignored though, this match was all about what was planned afterwards and the match will be forgotten to history. The match itself wasn't really memorable so perhaps that isn't a bad thing. The proposal itself might be the biggest story of the night in the big scheme of things. Regardless of your opinion of Cena or Nikki, the two of them are big stars in the world of Hollywood. Total Divas introduced an entirely new audience to WWE and was so successful that we got multiple seasons. The stars of the show were always the Bellas however. Nikki Bella is a known commodity and of course, John Cena is an internationally known star. This proposal alone might possibly produce more stories and headlines than anything else WWE puts out this year, including the other events of Wrestlemania. So whether you like Cena and Nikki or despise them, I hope you can acknowledge the magnitude of the proposal, within the world of wrestling and outside of it.

<h3>Triple H vs Seth Rollins</h3>

Before anything, I want to say the video package with the Metallica music might be my favourite package of the night. Fantastic job by the production team. Triple H with another spectacle of an entrance. Did it make sense? Not even a little. Do they ever? Ask the Terminators that came out with him two years ago. Does it matter? Not at all, they're cool as hell. We're also lucky to be having this match. Ignoring the storyline, I have no idea if Seth was legitimately cleared to compete or if he was working hurt. That doubt added a huge intrigue to this match. If we don't factor in the injury, this is another long term story built for 'Mania. It would have been tragic if it couldn't happen due to injury, so I'm happy for all parties that it worked out. Seth FINALLY getting his hands on Triple H after all these months is such an easy, yet satisfying story.

The match itself was a different experience than normal. We know that Seth legitimately injured. I had a genuine concern of him either getting injured again, or making his still injured leg even worse. Every attack on the leg made me cringe. I felt like I was 9 years old again, everything was "real". I was so invested in this match in a way that I can't get invested in anymore given that I know I'm watching a performance. Kudos to both men for this. This drama added so much to the match. They didn't need a technical, competitive back and forth for the match to be good. It stood out from all the other matches on the card and in a good way. It was vicious, brutal and a believable war between two men who you can believe hate each other. The table bump from Stephanie was unexpected but very pleasing. Props to her for her annual Wrestlemania bump. When she takes them, she makes them count.

<h3>Randy Orton vs Bray Wyatt (c)</h3>

We finally get a championship introduction! Bray Wyatt's fireflies entrance is a spectacle under normal circumstances. Throw in a large stadium? It's a breathtaking visual. The snake following Randy was a nice little touch, until it started glitching out and bouncing around. This isn't a match I was very excited about. As happy as I am that Bray got a chance to be champion and be in a high importance match, there isn't anything about this feud that made me think that this match would be special. Bray doesn't have big match moments. We get the same moves in every match. Randy burnt Bray's house down and gave Abigail a cremation. Now Bray has fused with her ghost and is now Empowered Bray. He will consume the soul of Randy and send him to hell (that sounds familiar). But when the match comes? It will be no different than if he were facing Luke Harper on Smackdown. Randy can step up in big matches, but that usually equates to a lot of high impact counters, lots of near falls and a more athletic RKO outta nowhere than normal. I didn't expect to see anything in this match that we didn't see in the match they had on ppv, other than a special RKO. My expectations were mostly met. Bray did Bray things, Randy did Randy things. This match will only be remembered for the visual effects used on the ring mat whenever Bray did his upside down Bray things. Even the end RKO was disappointingly unspectacular. I'm unsure of how I feel about the title switch, but thinking about the title in general currently I'm indifferent. The title hasn't felt important since Cena beat AJ for it. Not because of bias against Cena (I think Cena is fantastic) but because Cena lost the title in such a meaningless way and went on to fight the Miz a month later. The feud between Bray and Randy was never about the championship, it was about revenge for all of the months of torment. The Championship was an afterthought.

<h3>Brock Lesnar vs Goldberg(c) for the Universal Championship </h3>

Oh boy. What a controversial, yet intriguing match. 50 year old Goldberg does what no other superstar has been able to do by beating the unbeatable Brock Lesnar in less than two minutes, and follows that up by ending Kevin Owen's several month long championship reign with two moves. And people thought Roman Reigns and John Cena get booked strong! Then we have the part time, yet mega attraction Brock Lesnar. There was discontent that two part timers were facing for the main championship of the Raw Brand, yet just as much intrigue about the match up. Are they capable of actually putting on a match? Is Goldberg capable of taking a bump at his age and having not been in the ring in over a decade? Will the main event of the "A" brand last less than two minutes? Well, all of these questions were answered. This match lasted 4 minutes and 45 seconds, yet it is one of the best short matches I've ever seen. I was pleasantly surprised to see that not only could Goldberg take a bump and not die a death, but he was also capable of getting up quickly to match Brock for speed and didn't gas out. This allowed for four minutes of two badass dudes beat the hell out of each other. Brock gets his redemption, Goldberg performed better than expected and this match felt like a big deal at all times. It didn't do the younger talents any favours, but it sure as hell brought in eyeballs and left people satisfied. Hopefully Goldberg will be the last part time old timer.

<h3>Becky Lynch vs Mickie James vs Carmella vs Natalya vs Naomi vs Alexa Bliss(c) for the Smackdown Women's Championship&lt;/h3)

Two to three years ago this would have been considered the bathroom break match. I think it&#039;s a credit to the work of the women today that the stigma is slowly fading. Having all the available bodies thrown together in a match has proven to be disastrous in the past, with Wrestlemania 30 coming to mind. I don&#039;t think many people were concerned of this being a boring match or the action being a cluster. Each woman has proven to be fully capable of performing, including Carmella. With six people competing at once, there is always a risk of sloppiness or miscommunication. There was none of that here. This was five minutes of solid, smooth action. Nobody made mistakes, everyone got their spots in. Unfortunately there just wasn't enough time for every girl to shine brightly. Under the circumstances, I think these girls did a commendable job and deserve praise. The only gripe I have is another shared opinion. Why was Naomi not kept as a surprise entrant? Similar to Bayley, there is a simple yet effective story to tell. Naomi forfeits the championship that took her several years to win, due to injury. We don&#039;t know if she&#039;ll be cleared in time for Wrestlemania, which happens to take place in her home town. The match is open to all &quot;available&quot; competitors. So five girls are in the ring expecting to start, but here comes the home town girl who earns redemption for her title forfeit in front of her friends and family. Oh well, she got her special moment regardless.

<h3> Roman Reigns vs The Undertaker</h3>

I wish that I could give my thoughts on Roman as a talent, but they aren't relevant to Wrestlemania. I have very in-depth thoughts on him which would simply take up too much time and space of this review. I am happy to give them in the comments for anyone who wishes to see them. I will instead settle for saying that I believe that the majority (not all) of the hate that he gets from fan isn't deserved. I also believe that Roman was the right choice for 'Taker's last match. Keep in mind that with hindsight that we now know The Undertaker was going to retire. He lost the match, and hung up his gloves (rather than his boots). Therefore he needs to be against an opponent that will beat him. But this is The Undertaker and it is Wrestlemania. You can't beat him just for the sake of beating him. There has to be a purpose behind it. So let's look at the obvious other two, Cena and AJ. Cena is already a full timer at this point. He is a megastar. He has proven he doesn't need championships. He became a 16 time world champion three months ago, trying the "official" record of Ric Flair. This did absolutely nothing to make Cena a bigger commodity. Him being the guy to defeat The Undertaker doesn't benefit anybody. AJ will be 40 in two months time. He doesn't have ten more years left in him, unless he starts a rock band and vanishes every other year. He absolutely could have a great match with Undertaker, but then what? Three years from now he might be gone. His steam from defeating Undertaker would fizzle out far too quickly as a result of his age. There would be limited longevity from AJ winning. He shouldn't be the opponent just for the sake of having a match above the standard of everyone else (because nobody is on the level of AJ that is in WWE). So who else is there who doesn't suffer from age or already being involved in a program. Sami Zayn?

I could elaborate further, but I think I've said enough for now. Unfortunately, this match wasn't as good as it could have been. Roman is not at fault for this. Undertaker has been needing hip surgery for a very long time. It was plain to see during the Royal Rumble just how much pain he was in and how slow he was to move around. 'Taker wasn't in the best shape for this match and struggled. It doesn't matter who he was in the ring with, there would have been struggles. Watching this match, I had flashbacks to Wrestlemania 30 when Undertaker was concussed against Brock Lesnar. I wasn't able to tell in the WM 30 match if he was injured or selling, and I felt the same way last night. It was uncomfortable to watch. The Undertaker retiring is bittersweet. The timing is right, he can't go on forever and would only decrease further in ability with each passing year. It is sad to see such an icon of the industry who has been around for so long to finally leave. The Undertaker character has been around for longer than I have been alive. He has always been there. With his retirement, the ultimate thrill ride is complete. We went from the highest of highs, to the lowest of lows. Forgive the pun, but it was a roller coaster of emotions. This match will be forgotten to history, unmemorable as a physical performance. The retirement of The Undertaker ultimately makes the performance of the match irrelevant. Nobody will remember that a spot was botched, that Roman was booed or that Taker was slow. The night ends we have what may be the ultimate Wrestlemania moment of all time.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:26 pm

*thumbs up* sweet read

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

Big slim
Hall Of Famer

Post by Big slim » Mon Apr 10, 2017 1:50 pm

Nice read!!