Random Questions

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
GooberBM
VIP Member

Re: Random Questions

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:46 am

Oh it has. I didn't read your Rumble review, for example. Some things aren't worth killing my brain cells over

Brandon Morrison - Chief of Staff and Forum Attaché to the Grand Chancellor

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:50 am

Being a kid these days is not the same. My nephew is 7 and he knows its fake he has known since he was 5 he figured out himself that they were just pretending after he met randy Orton and sheamus in Nottingham a few years ago and they were joking around outside then were killing each other in the ring.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:53 am

It's funny that you have a problem with me, and not the people you're defending.

When I have a problem with the show, I don't stay around and make life difficult for the people that still have fun with wrestling. When they have a problem with the show they threaten they're going to leave, and then keep watching and complaining.

Which of those two sound more logically sound and reasonable?
stigsyv1 wrote:Being a kid these days is not the same. My nephew is 7 and he knows its fake he has known since he was 5 he figured out himself that they were just pretending after he met randy Orton and sheamus in Nottingham a few years ago and they were joking around outside then were killing each other in the ring.
It's the same thing as Santa Claus. I knew it wasn't real when I woke up in the middle of the night and saw my Mom and Uncle wrapping presents when I was like 8. It's called suspension of disbelief for a reason. You allow yourself to buy into the magic, through all rational thought and reason. But to suspend your disbelief, you have to want to do it

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:29 am

I gave you an opportunity to educate yourself, and you passed. Your loss brother Goober.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 8:53 am

I educated myself by watching the match for myself and rather than throwing up my hands and claiming the WWE has no idea what they're doing, I tried to actually understand what they may be going for. If I lost out by not reading your impassioned feelings on the Rumble, then your loss is that you have closed yourself off so entirely to the possibilities, beyond the smallest scope possible

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:10 am

I was joking, brother Goober. Don't be so serial.

But in all seriousness, I don't think you can come away with the impression that the reaction from the crowd in that match was fully what the WWE expected. I even acknowledged they tried to cool them down but they were beyond repair. If they expected the Rumble to do that and booked it anyway, then the question becomes why are they ao incompetent?

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:44 am

Because they're not incompetent at all. The best carnies do whatever it takes to work their audience. The audience they were playing in front of would accept nothing but a Daniel Bryan victory. I honestly believe WWE would like to be a little more careful with how fast and hard they push Bryan considering they ran Austin into an early retirement after neck surgery, ran Kurt Angle into what should have been an early retirement after neck surgery, and ran Edge into an early retirement after neck surgery. They'd like to have Bryan around and learn from their mistakes so it's reasonable for them to play it cautious and make sure Bryan can not break down, while he still throws himself around almost the same exact way he got hurt.

Add to that the fact that while Bryan is still very very extremely over, the desperate momentum of last year is not there this year. Parts of the crowd are re-learning how to interact with Bryan and the vocal portion of his fanbase isn't nearly as vocal as they were last year. He's among the guys with high momentum, but he's not the guy with momentum right through the stratosphere this time.

So the WWE has apparently (because we don't know what the Road to Wrestlemania is yet, at all) decided to stay the course with the story they've been telling all year, without Bryan. That being that The Authority has had carte blanche to ruin people's lives and that whomever steps up to question them at Wrestlemania will have the Seth Rollins factor to deal with, coming out of it. And yes, Roman Reigns has been groomed to be that guy all year.

Back to being a carny now, Vince knows that there is a vocal fanbase behind Daniel Bryan, and a vocal fanbase in Philly that likes to set their own rules, and that there will be travelling fans to the Royal Rumble that like to set their own rules too. And Vince knows that these people are willing to pay him money to be mad at the decisions that go against what they want. Sure, Vince could have given them what they wanted and hotshotted Bryan to Wrestlemania. But if he gave them what they want, the response would be fret and worry that Bryan won't make it to Mania or that Brock Lesnar will devour him and possibly cripple him. If you want to make money, do you want to have one of the headliners fans have their energy coalesce around the idea that they don't want to see this because they know Bryan will lose at Mania because he can't beat Brock Lesnar?

Compare that to this option: Take the current expectation, that Roman Reigns WILL win the Royal Rumble, and rub their faces all the way in it. Do it so blatantly and egregiously that the crowd starts foaming at the mouth in their anger and frustration...and start to double their efforts to get behind Daniel Bryan to SHOW Vince that their guy is still the guy they should get behind, because he's a senile old coot that wouldn't know talent if it slapped them in the face with their dick.

If the crowd explodes behind Daniel Bryan again, you can thank Vince for working the Daniel Bryan fanbase back into their unrelenting rage fuel, that forced Bryan to the top in the first place. If they don't, then you're going to be living in a Roman Reigns/Seth Rollins world. Either way, Vince is going to keep making money because he knows how to work people better than any of us ever could

Red_And_Yellow
VIP Member

Post by Red_And_Yellow » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:00 am

Listen, I can accept that they thought Reigns winning would be mild in comparison to Bryan. I cannot accept that they thought he would be booed out of the building and edit the on demand video to edit said booing.

But this idea that screwing Bryan will galvanize his fan base into getting behind him is unnecessary. You already said he was extremely over, so there is no need to galvanize them. They never anticipated WM 28, where Sheamus beat him in 18 seconds to propel Bryan to be more popular than Sheamus. They just simply don't know how to book their most over wrestler because Bryan is not Vince's guy, Roman and John are. They didn't anticipate the 2014 Rumble to propel Bryan's base into an uproar. They didn't anticipate 2015 to be completely pooed on.

To think Vince has THAT much control and foresight is bullshit.

BAZED SASHA. CRY IZZY.

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:04 am

They're straight up antagonizing the Daniel Bryan fanbase and then saying "what are you going to do about it?"

That's all Triple H's promo on Smackdown was, rubbing salt in all the wounds about how much people don't like how WWE is conducting business. Well, what are you going to do about it?

Of course it is necessary. You're the biggest Daniel Bryan fan I know. Since he's been back I haven't heard as much positive happy thoughts, as much as you've been sure he's not going to get the things you want him to get. The default emotion for the Daniel Bryan fanbase is resignation that he's not going to get his chance. The very thing that got him his chance last year was the unrelenting fury that the fans would not allow Byran to not get that chance. If the WWE is going to get that back, they're going to have to light the fire under the fanbase this time, to make them remember the 2014s

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:14 am

Or as you just pointed out, every time Bryan gets propelled forward, it's after the WWE mindlessly screws with him because they don't know how to book him. It's interesting that it keeps happening that way, though, isn't it?

Every time, the WWE just happens to fuck up booking Bryan properly, his fanbase gets hot and pushes him forward...almost as if they sense that and work with it.

Almost as if you're getting worked by your own tunnel vision...almost, but lets not get crazy here

GooberBM
VIP Member

Post by GooberBM » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:02 am

Furthermore, a fascinating thing about the Daniel Bryan fanbase being so militantly pissed about someone besides Daniel Bryan winning the Royal Rublem is that Daniel Bryan winning wouldn't have been very different than Batista winning in 2014.

The thing that was so galling about Batista winning was that he just came in and took a spot away from someone (like Daniel Bryan) and just waltzed in to win the Royal Rumble: He didn't deserve it.

Well Daniel Bryan didn't deserve to win the 2015 Royal Rumble. He hasn't been there, day in and day out, all year working and grinding. He just decided he is magically healthy and he should just be given a spot in the Rumble. If anything, he should be demanding a WWE Title shot at Fast Lane against Brock Lesnar, to earn what he lost back.

But that was the fallacy of the logic trap everyone set last year. There's no such thing as "deserving" it anyway. The hypocrisy of the situation is delicious though

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:12 am

This is like watching a verbal game of tennis.

Big slim
Hall Of Famer
Twitter: Jamel727

Post by Big slim » Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:55 am

*grabs cheesecake*

Jamel Watson (Big slim) - Executive Vice President of Talent Relations

Check out my new blog, Macho Mars at www.machomars.blog!

Quinn
VIP Member

Post by Quinn » Fri Jan 30, 2015 12:08 pm

Goober you have just said things that I forgot to say over the Rumble thread.

'What have you done for me lately?' That phrase comes to mind with Bryan in regards to entering and winning the Rumble he has only just come back for less than a month or so. Granted Reigns has also had a lay off, although a shorter one than Bryan, and yes both Bryan and Reigns were still involved during their lay offs but now you mention it Goober, with that wonderful 20/20 hindsight, it does seem that Reigns' appearances tipped him more as a golden boy than Bryan's.

Last 'Mania Bryan strong armed his way into the Main Event, and I too would argue is over a level in the WWE that he does not need a Rumble win to get a title shot. He could just be given one, within a storyline which might include the activation of the re-match clause. Whereas the likes of Reigns, Ambrose or Wyatt perhaps do not that Rumble win to propel them to the main event.

Also as, I said in the Rumble thread, a Reigns win makes more sense as whatever the outcome of the Reigns/Lesnar match I am sure Rollins will cash in the case and become champ. Lesnar goes away, again. And we are left with Reigns and Rollins feuding over the title, either as they are now with Reigns as the face and Rollins as the heel. Or I can see due the negative reaction to Reigns' win Roman giving a Rocky Maiva type rant at the fans and turning heel and Rollins making a face turn to pull away from the Authority.

On Bryan, to give him the 2015 Rumble win after the reaction to him not being in the match in 2014 seems stubbornly WWE. So now it can be said that he has been screwed out of two Rumble wins 2014 and 2015, so by the law of three Bryan will win the 2016 Rumble to what the WWE would hope would be a massive reaction but will not have been as big had he won in 2014. Because this is the WWE.
Thus Quoth the Quinn "When I want your opinion I'll give it to you!"

Quinn's Cement Soup - When you think of Cement Soup; Think of Quinn's Cement Soup!

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:53 am

ANYBODY SASS-LIPPIN' ME?, Quinn? :x

isrs4life
Hall Of Famer

Post by isrs4life » Sat Jan 31, 2015 12:46 pm

Why was the roman reigns thread locked I see nothing of no harm in the thread.

El Canuck
Hall Of Famer

Post by El Canuck » Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:13 pm

It's just Greg messing with Jimmy so no one breaks the tie in the poll.

As of April 1st, 2016,the first entry in my Gold & Steel fantasy series, As Fierce as Steel, is on sale. Visit www.thegoldandsteelsaga.com for more!

Greg_McNeish
Twitter: GregMcNeishWV

Post by Greg_McNeish » Sat Jan 31, 2015 5:57 pm

Yep. It was locked because I found it hilarious to do so.

#DealWithIt

Greg McNeish - Grand Chancellor

stigsyv1
Hall Of Famer

Post by stigsyv1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 2:40 am

Lock all his poll threads as soon as there tied lol

Little Jimmy
Hall Of Famer

Post by Little Jimmy » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:50 am

See what locking threads around here does, Greg? You confused isrs.