Random Questions

Discuss anything about the WWF/WWE past or present.
EJ
VIP Member

Random Questions

Post by EJ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:27 pm

I think this will be a good idea. This is for all questions you have that can be answered in a single post. Instead of clogging up the board with pointless threads, ask your questions here.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:35 pm

Great idea. They had one of these when I first joined and it went really well, lots of great info. Hope this one turns out good as well.

I'll start off:
*How do you pronounce "kayfabe"? I always say "K-Fab", but that silent e at the end would lead one to think that the a is a long sound (as in 'tape'). So which is it: K-Fab or K-fAbe?

samostrong
Rookie
Location: In to the cup final for the second season running!!

Post by samostrong » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:48 pm

Is ROH commentary recorded live or later when the DVDs are produced?
Has got some Trevor Francis tracksuits from a mush in Shepherds Bush!!

Kris
Hall Of Famer

Post by Kris » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:45 pm

gutterhippo wrote:Great idea. They had one of these when I first joined and it went really well, lots of great info. Hope this one turns out good as well.

I'll start off:
*How do you pronounce "kayfabe"? I always say "K-Fab", but that silent e at the end would lead one to think that the a is a long sound (as in 'tape'). So which is it: K-Fab or K-fAbe?
I have always pronounced it K-fAbe.

Also, I am pretty sure it isn't announced live, but I know that CHIKARA Pro Wrestling has theirs done live.
Last edited by Kris on Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Super Dragon wrote:They're just lucky I didn't go shank them in the face.
I mark for the 80s.

HARBinc
Developmental Talent

Post by HARBinc » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:45 pm

Kayfabe pronounced KEI-feib

source wikipedia

Question Why in tag team matches do they always have that bit where both guys get knocked down and the face guys tag and clean house its just so inane now

Lando Griffin
Rookie

Post by Lando Griffin » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:00 pm

gutterhippo wrote:Great idea. They had one of these when I first joined and it went really well, lots of great info. Hope this one turns out good as well.

I'll start off:
Yea, something I have wondered forever. And that Wikipedia explanation doesn't help me at all haha.
Get back, honky cat.

milliondollarcorp

Post by milliondollarcorp » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:08 pm

HARBinc wrote:Question Why in tag team matches do they always have that bit where both guys get knocked down and the face guys tag and clean house its just so inane now
"The Hot Tag" .. as I call it, well I think that's the proper name. I imagine they do it to get the crowd worked up to see the faces get the upper hand. It has it's compelling moments, but it has definitely gotten stale these days.
It was like that in the past, no doubt, but I don't seem to remember EVERY tag match having it. Every time I watch a tag match with my roommate, we sit and try to figure out when the hot tag will happen .. and we are usually right, because its so predictable. Tag wrestling as a whole went into the toilet during the Attitude era, so I guess I shouldn't expect a lot.
The tag division is the sorriest thing to happen in the 'E that I've probably ever seen. They do not care at all what happens with it, and it's a shame. Just look at the roster from the late 80's/early 90's and see the incredibly list of teams they had. Now, they have nothing, and the teams they have, they do crap with.

Metal
Rookie

Post by Metal » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:33 pm

Kris wrote:I have always pronounced it K-fAbe.
I always called it K-Feb. It's like that song...

You say "potato," I say "patattah"
You say "tomato", I say "tomata"
You say "Lets watch ECW" and I say "change the channel"
Oh, let's call the whole thing off

Phil C of WV
Title Contender

Post by Phil C of WV » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:53 pm

Metal wrote:
Kris wrote:I have always pronounced it K-fAbe.
I always called it K-Feb. It's like that song...

You say "potato," I say "patattah"
You say "tomato", I say "tomata"
You say "Lets watch ECW" and I say "change the channel"
Oh, let's call the whole thing off
^^^ :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one, Metal, I'm absolutely PMSL right now.
The Poster Formerly Known As "CollegeDropout"

Author of "On Second Thought..." on Wrestleview.com

"Oh, you're broke? *gun shots*...now ya dead broke" - Big L

samostrong
Rookie
Location: In to the cup final for the second season running!!

Post by samostrong » Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:50 pm

Kris wrote:

I'll start off:
I have always pronounced it K-fAbe.

Also, I am pretty sure it isn't announced live, but I know that CHIKARA Pro Wrestling has theirs done live.
Its weird cos I thought it was added after, but then t'other night I was watching SOTF 05 and Jimmy Bowers voice came over LL's and he said that he had a huge scoop and that Kobashi Joe was signed....then he left and Prazak said he's gone back in to the bleachers just as a Bower Bower chant broke out durring one of the matches...? I was just curious 'cos im forever trying to work out where their announce position is and can't see it :cry: My life is so incomplete right now...
Has got some Trevor Francis tracksuits from a mush in Shepherds Bush!!

Random Man
Developmental Talent

Post by Random Man » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:11 pm

Kayfabe pronounced KEI-feib

source wikipedia
Sorry to bust the bubble, but Wikipedia is not a valid source.

Howcome during a normal match, a hit with anything deemed illegal, as in a chair, shoe or manaquin head is enough to keep a wrestler down untill next week, but then stick them in a hardcore match/street fight and it doesn't do much?

Also;

Does HHH realise what his facial hair looks like, or has his mirrors been stolen?

metallicamaniac
Hall Of Famer

Post by metallicamaniac » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:14 pm

Random Man wrote:Does HHH realise what his facial hair looks like, or has his mirrors been stolen?
HHH's facial hair is a tribute to Lemmy Kilmeister, fool. Motorhead is his favorite band. :D
Dusk dismantled
Combustion's convergence with our existence
Dusk dismantled
We are the infinitesimal

Evolution
Mid Carder

Post by Evolution » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:21 pm

samostrong wrote:Is ROH commentary recorded live or later when the DVDs are produced?
I'm pretty sure its recorded after the event. Dont take my word on it but I think I've read somewhere that there recorded later after the event.

Oleary
Developmental Talent

Post by Oleary » Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:53 pm

metallicamaniac wrote:
Random Man wrote:Does HHH realise what his facial hair looks like, or has his mirrors been stolen?
HHH's facial hair is a tribute to Lemmy Kilmeister, fool. Motorhead is his favorite band. :D
I love Triple H's facial, and I want to try it for myself. But I doubt it will look good with a shaved head, it only seems to work with long hair.

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:06 pm

metallicamaniac wrote:
I thought it was a tribute to Harley Race...?

Piggins
Rookie

Post by Piggins » Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:38 pm

ROH commentary is definitely taped after. I attended an ROH show live, and there was no commentary in sight. Besides, most buildings probably would never allow that alcoholic Jimmy Bower into their building.

Also, how many World Titles does Ric Flair have? Most sources say 16, but you can never be sure.

Thanks a lot to Old School Expulsion!

metallicamaniac
Hall Of Famer

Post by metallicamaniac » Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:00 pm

gutterhippo wrote:
metallicamaniac wrote:
Nah, it's Lemmy. HHH and Lemmy's facial hair looks nearly like a duplicate of one another's, minus Lemmy's is black. Race's has thick white trash chops and a thinner mustache.
Dusk dismantled
Combustion's convergence with our existence
Dusk dismantled
We are the infinitesimal

dwayne_dread
Mid Carder

Post by dwayne_dread » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:24 pm

Piggins wrote:ROH commentary is definitely taped after. I attended an ROH show live, and there was no commentary in sight. Besides, most buildings probably would never allow that alcoholic Jimmy Bower into their building.

Also, how many World Titles does Ric Flair have? Most sources say 16, but you can never be sure.
lol. flair had 16 back in the late 90's with WCW. Since then i stopped watching in about 2001 till 05 so if he won any in that time frame than its definately more. maybe around 20
I'd like to introduce myself. Hi. I'm Dolph Ziggler.

Oleary
Developmental Talent

Post by Oleary » Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:38 pm

dwayne_dread wrote:
Piggins wrote:ROH commentary is definitely taped after. I attended an ROH show live, and there was no commentary in sight. Besides, most buildings probably would never allow that alcoholic Jimmy Bower into their building.

lol. flair had 16 back in the late 90's with WCW. Since then i stopped watching in about 2001 till 05 so if he won any in that time frame than its definately more. maybe around 20
19 technically, but WWE does not recognize 3 of these title reigns.

Quite from Wikipedia article & information from other sources:
Wikipedia wrote:"Note: Technically speaking, overall, Ric Flair has a total of 19 World Championship reigns as a singles wrestler split between, the now defunct, World Championship Wrestling, World Wrestling Entertainment, and the National Wrestling Alliance. The WWE recognizes Flair as a 16-time World Champion for storyline purposes (6 NWA, 8 WCW, and 2 WWE). However, Ric Flair is recognized as a 9 time NWA World Heavyweight Champion by the National Wrestling Alliance. Flair did win the championship a 10th time, however, the NWA dropped the recognition of the reign in September of 1993, after WCW withdrew from the NWA.[12] When World Championship Wrestling withdrew from the National Wrestling Alliance in 1993, the promotion lost the rights to use the NWA World Heavyweight Championship and NWA World Tag Team Championship and created their own titles with their own separate and distinct lineages.[13] World Wrestling Entertainment, despite their storylines, have no control over the lineage of the NWA World Heavyweight Championship since it isn't property under their ownership. When World Championship Wrestling was purchased by World Wrestling Entertainment in 2001, all WCW championships and their lineages came under the control of the WWE. The WWE chooses not to recognize Ric Flair's two reigns with the WCW International World Heavyweight Championship."

gutterhippo
VIP Member

Post by gutterhippo » Thu Feb 22, 2007 12:50 am

metallicamaniac wrote:
gutterhippo wrote:
metallicamaniac wrote: HHH's facial hair is a tribute to Lemmy Kilmeister, fool. Motorhead is his favorite band. :D
Nah, it's Lemmy. HHH and Lemmy's facial hair looks nearly like a duplicate of one another's, minus Lemmy's is black. Race's has thick white trash chops and a thinner mustache.
I'm pretty sure I read it was a tribute to Harley Race in towney's "Lunch with HHH" thread. He shaved it like that in the months before WM22 when he was to give the belt to Batista, as a tribute to Harley Race and his passing the torch to another wrestler (Dusty Rhodes maybe?).